The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie here with newbie question (exported file quality bad)
Old 23rd March 2017
Here for the gear

Newbie here with newbie question (exported file quality bad)

Ok fist I'm a guy with no Sound exprience... I want to make some voice over for my general culture youtube channel...

I use a Node NT1 mic (with no accoustic treatement for my room... hey but that's not a big deal for a hobby start)

Ok my question (struggle) is when I use adobe audition for editing my vocal.. it sound great (same thing when I use audacity) but when I export my file in the most high quality format possible (wav\ simple rate:192000\Bit depth: 32) I still get a bad quality..

I wonder why the files in audition (and audacity) sound so FANCY;;; but when I export I get less quality??

and the most Important, is it possible to get the same quality that I hear when using editing software, or the lost of the quality is a must??

thank you guys for help.. I really need this
Old 23rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKINTOO View Post
Ok fist I'm a guy with no Sound exprience... I want to make some voice over for my general culture youtube channel...

I use a Node NT1 mic (with no accoustic treatement for my room... hey but that's not a big deal for a hobby start)

Ok my question (struggle) is when I use adobe audition for editing my vocal.. it sound great (same thing when I use audacity) but when I export my file in the most high quality format possible (wav\ simple rate:192000\Bit depth: 32) I still get a bad quality..

I wonder why the files in audition (and audacity) sound so FANCY;;; but when I export I get less quality??

and the most Important, is it possible to get the same quality that I hear when using editing software, or the lost of the quality is a must??

thank you guys for help.. I really need this
hi!

There is definitely not a problem with that format in itself. It can contain very, very good sound. For YouTube you should be able to use much lesser formats without significant problems.

So the problem must be elsewhere. It could be the processing before export or it could somewhere in your listening environment - you might be sending the sound through different drivers or some other difference.

Maybe it would be helpful if you uploaded a sample.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

First thing I'd do is try exporting at 24/96 to rule out issues with your playback chain. Then post a sample, or if you dont feel comfortable doing that post a screenshot of the exported wav waveforms in audacity.
Old 23rd March 2017
Gear Addict

FYI exporting at a higher resolution (upsampling) won't make it sound better than what you recorded at. Your soundcard might no be able to play that anyway.
What generally make the most sense is to export it at the resolution you record in.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Drycappucciboguy is dead right. You can only playback files your sound card is capable of reproducing. The program may be able to up sample it but that doesn't mean it can be played.

You also have the issue of latency and CPU recourses. As you up-sample, you likely need to increase the sound cards buffers and latency. The file grows to huge sizes and you're asking the computer to work 10 tines harder streaming that data. you have to put more data in temp memory by increasing your buffers or you can get crackly audio if not complete dropouts and freezes.

There is No good reason to up sample. Its not like the process is going to give you any more details then it already has. You have the highest quality at the sample rates you recorded at. If you wanted more detail you would need to record at a higher sample rate and even then its questionable, especially with vocal only.

There were many other items in your post. I don't think you understand what 32 bit float vs 24 bit is, You don't seem to know much about file conversion, disk space used by those high sample rates, Even the low sample sizes your files need to be streamed on You Tube.

I suggest you go here, bookmark this page and start reading till you have some ideas of what's involved. This is ultra basic stuff even a hobbyist should know. (if you were trained to be a real engineer this would be the introduction. Real training goes 10 times deeper)

This is by far the shortest shortcut there is and it covers all this stuff in enough detail to make you dangerous. Its actually very well written and doesn't bog you down in high tech stuff you'll rarely need to know, its just meat and potatoes you have to know something about or at least an introduction as to why its relevant and you can go back there and get more details when you need too. They should have a chapter there involving sample rates and mixing down to other formats thay should give you the tangible reasons why things are done certain ways. You already found out why one doesn't work well. There are loads of others.

Tweakheadz · Guide To Home And Project Music Studios
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Drycappucciboguy is dead right. You can only playback files your sound card is capable of reproducing. The program may be able to up sample it but that doesn't mean it can be played.

You also have the issue of latency and CPU recourses. As you up-sample, you likely need to increase the sound cards buffers and latency. The file grows to huge sizes and you're asking the computer to work 10 tines harder streaming that data. you have to put more data in temp memory by increasing your buffers or you can get crackly audio if not complete dropouts and freezes.

There is No good reason to up sample. Its not like the process is going to give you any more details then it already has. You have the highest quality at the sample rates you recorded at. If you wanted more detail you would need to record at a higher sample rate and even then its questionable, especially with vocal only.

There were many other items in your post. I don't think you understand what 32 bit float vs 24 bit is, You don't seem to know much about file conversion, disk space used by those high sample rates, Even the low sample sizes your files need to be streamed on You Tube.

I suggest you go here, bookmark this page and start reading till you have some ideas of what's involved. This is ultra basic stuff even a hobbyist should know. (if you were trained to be a real engineer this would be the introduction. Real training goes 10 times deeper)

This is by far the shortest shortcut there is and it covers all this stuff in enough detail to make you dangerous. Its actually very well written and doesn't bog you down in high tech stuff you'll rarely need to know, its just meat and potatoes you have to know something about or at least an introduction as to why its relevant and you can go back there and get more details when you need too. They should have a chapter there involving sample rates and mixing down to other formats thay should give you the tangible reasons why things are done certain ways. You already found out why one doesn't work well. There are loads of others.

Tweakheadz · Guide To Home And Project Music Studios
Old 24th March 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you guys for your informative replies..... I think I got a clear picture of what's going on.. thank again
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

What was the solution?
Old 29th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
What was the solution?
tldr: I still use audition for some effects, but I USE AUDACITY AS MY JUDGEMENT OUTIL!!

I start using audacity for recording and exploring my files... Audacity give you the same quality that you hear when you preview the file ..

I think because adobe audition use a virtual sound card that makes your audio files sound pretty much awesome, but you struggle when you export it and compare it with what you preview..
Audacity in the other hand, simply works with your own computer hardwares, that's why you actually get what you hear, and that prevents you from misguiding and mis-judging your files quality..

So I still use audition for some effects, but I USE AUDACITY AS MY JUDGEMENT OUTIL!!
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Good man, thanks for reporting back
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search