The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to connect mixer to audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 6th January 2017
How to connect mixer to audio interface

Hello guys,
I have a FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2, YAMAHA MG10 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...d_model/mg10/I) mixer and YAMAHA HS50-M studio monitors.

How can i hook up all of them to work with each other?

Thank you and regards,
Meghraj.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2 Line out > MG10 Line in

MG10 Stereo out (top right XLR) > speaker input
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarmusic View Post
Hello guys,
I have a FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2, YAMAHA MG10 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...d_model/mg10/I) mixer and YAMAHA HS50-M studio monitors.

Thank you and regards,
Meghraj.
With the MG10, your options are pretty limited. There's only one stereo bus, the main bus, with a single mono aux send. Headphones and monitors have a single level control.

The only way I can think to do it that would be logical is to use the MG10 as an input patching tool only; run a pair of XLR or TRS cables from the main outputs of the MG10 to the inputs on the 2i2. Then, you can plug in microphones, line-ins from amps and synths, etc, and route them to the 2i2's inputs by panning them hard left or right and turning the gain knob to unity (the triangle on the right side). Then, your headphones and monitors are plugged in directly to the Scarlett, giving you independent level control for both, so you can turn down the monitors for tracking (using direct monitoring to get what you're playing in your headphones totally in time with any backing track), then turn them back up for playback and mixing. The advantage of the mixer in this whole setup is the extra head amp gain (the 1G Scarlett bus-powered interfaces were fairly wimpy when using low-sensitivity dynamic microphones, though the 2G release improved on that slightly), and the ability to leave sources plugged in and gain-adjusted as you switch between instruments while tracking and building your mix.

That's really the only option with such a primitive mixer, and you're going to have some limitations, primarily revolving around direct monitoring while tracking. The 2i2's direct monitoring is very basic compared to its bigger brother the 2i4. For instance, there's no ability to control the mix between the input and output levels when direct monitoring. There's also no ability to select between mono or stereo direct monitoring (I don't know which one it is by default; mono would work better in the majority of home recording situations where you're as likely to be recording an instrument and voice as to be recording something in stereo).

If the mixer had some more features, it would make more sense to use the Scarlett as just an ADC/DAC, and hook your monitors and phones to the mixer. For instance, the next step up from your MG10, the MG12CX, has a stereo subgroup that can be independently routed. It also has fully independent level control for monitors and headphones. Using this mixer, I'd recommend routing the main bus outputs to the Scarlett, then running the Scarlett's outputs back into a stereo channel on the MG12, and plugging monitors and headphones into the appropriate mixer outputs. This way, you can set up a monitoring bus on the subgroup, control whether that mix is going to the monitors or just the headphones (and at what volumes), and be able to listen to the backing track and your sources, with much more control over the mix. You'd also get features that are helpful for gain-balancing, such as PFL, as well as a pair of auxes which could feed another stereo setup with a completely different mix.

The only caveat with this more full-featured setup, besides the extra $130 and change for the bigger mixer, would be that because you have to pan sources hard left or right to get them into the interface, if you want to monitor them as well, they'll be hard-panned in your headphones as well. I get around this with a similar Mackie mixer by using its aux send. My mixer has an aux return that will "normal" a mono input to stereo, so I just patch the send directly to the mono return, then when I want to hear a hard-panned source in mono, I turn up the aux instead of punching it into the monitor mix. The MG12 doesn't have aux returns, but you can use another stereo channel, possibly with a Y-splitter, to accomplish the same effect.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2 Line out > MG10 Line in

MG10 Stereo out (top right XLR) > speaker input
No. Just no. You're totally ignoring the potential for the input channels on the mixer, which is the whole point of using a mixer this size in a home studio to begin with. The mixer might as well not be there.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liko View Post
No. Just no. You're totally ignoring the potential for the input channels on the mixer, which is the whole point of using a mixer this size in a home studio to begin with. The mixer might as well not be there.
Ok, what is the potential for the input channels on the mixer?
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Ok, what is the potential for the input channels on the mixer?
Maybe that they can actually be used?

The way you told him to set it up, the Scarlett outputs feed the mixer, the mixer feeds the speakers. Setting it up like that, the mixer's other inputs couldn't be used except to play whatever you plug in through the speakers. You might as well not use the mixer at all if this is what you're going to do with it.

Instead, if the Scarlett feeds the speakers directly, the mixer can be used to plug several things in (mics, keyboards, etc) and then choose which of them go to the inputs on the Scarlett through the mixer's main mix. Pan a channel left, it goes to input 1; right, input 2. You also get the extra gain to boost low-sensitivity microphones, and some rudimentary EQ (though you'd probably rather record things flat and EQ them in the DAW). You can even still play stuff directly through the speakers using direct monitoring, if you'd like.

What would be the point of setting it up your way?
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Not following you, brother.

Quote:
The way you told him to set it up, the Scarlett outputs feed the mixer, the mixer feeds the speakers.
Yep. Scarlett into the mixer, mixer to speakers. He still has room in the mixer for other things.

My way is not the only way, nor is it the best way. It is A way. Like when you said:

Instead, if the Scarlett feeds the speakers directly,

Sure, it can be done that way as well. But that's not what the OP asked.

My solution answers that directly.

Cheers.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear
I think we're getting a bit obtuse here, but OP: are you looking to record a band or a drum set? If so, Liko has the answer. You'll get a stereo (L/R) mix of everything you plug into the mixer, though; you're limited to 2 concurrent tracks with the 2i2.

Still, I had a Tascam M308 and a Soundblaster Live 32 that I recorded a ton of band demos with. Got really good at getting a balanced sound in the room, embraced the bleed, and still put up some decent sounding stuff, enough to get us shows, etc.
Old 7th January 2017
Liko's solution is a more efficient use of the mixer since it would allow you to feed 10 inputs into the 2 inputs on the Scarlett. You have options, so it really comes down to what you hope to accomplish with this setup.
  • Need more inputs recorded separately into the DAW? Sell the mixer & Scarlett and put the money towards an interface that lets you record more inputs simultaneously.
  • Need more inputs but don't need all signals recorded separately? Use Liko's suggestion.
  • Need to control mains with mixer and don't mind only being able to record 2 signals at once? Use Jeff's suggestion.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

A piece of audio gear is a tool for a job.

The OP hasn't given any information as to what job they're attempting, and why they need the mixer to achieve it!

For all we know the answer could be, "Don't use the mixer for this purpose."

Old 17th January 2017
Guys, i'll be using minimum 1 inputs at the same time and maximum 2-3 inputs at the same time.

My use will be mainly VOCALS, GUITARS and solo instruments. No drum kits, etc will be recorded.

please give me a workaround for the mixer and usb interface that I have. Thanks!
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear
Kind of smells like a homework assignment to be honest, but Liko's solution is the way to go.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarmusic View Post
Guys, i'll be using minimum 1 inputs at the same time and maximum 2-3 inputs at the same time.

My use will be mainly VOCALS, GUITARS and solo instruments. No drum kits, etc will be recorded.

please give me a workaround for the mixer and usb interface that I have. Thanks!
Well first off, if you use three inputs simultaneously, at least two of them will have to be "pre-mixed" onto one input on the Scarlett using the MG10. Not necessarily a bad thing for things like rough takes where you just want a mic on everything being played so you can go back and layer over, but by the time you do your final mix you'll want the ability to individually control every instrument and vocal track you've recorded. So, regardless of the number of ins the mixer has, when it comes to recording clean takes of tracks containing a single source that you can mix together, you're going to be limited to stereo recordings of a single source or a mono recording of one source and a second completely isolated source like a line-in from a keyboard or amplifier direct box.

With that settled, the best use of the equipment you have now will be to use the mixer for input routing, as I described above; you basically run the main outputs of the mixer to the inputs on the Scarlett, and then you can select and route individual sources to one input or the other on the Scarlett by turning them up and panning them hard left or right with the mixer. This allows you to have multiple things plugged in, avoiding headaches resetting gain structures and other settings if you switch between two or three inputs. Your monitors and headphones, then, will be connected directly to the Scarlett's outputs, and you will be able to control monitor and headphone volume using the controls on the Scarlett, as well as monitor the inputs you're recording using the direct monitor switch. It won't be perfect, and you won't be able to make it perfect without replacing some or all of this equipment with components that give you more options, but it's a good place to start and better than not having any of this.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well first off, if you use three inputs simultaneously, at least two of them will have to be "pre-mixed" onto one input on the Scarlett using the MG10. Not necessarily a bad thing for things like rough takes where you just want a mic on everything being played so you can go back and layer over, but by the time you do your final mix you'll want the ability to individually control every instrument and vocal track you've recorded. So, regardless of the number of ins the mixer has, when it comes to recording clean takes of tracks containing a single source that you can mix together, you're going to be limited to stereo recordings of a single source or a mono recording of one source and a second completely isolated source like a line-in from a keyboard or amplifier direct box.

With that settled, the best use of the equipment you have now will be to use the mixer for input routing, as I described above; you basically run the main outputs of the mixer to the inputs on the Scarlett, and then you can select and route individual sources to one input or the other on the Scarlett by turning them up and panning them hard left or right with the mixer. This allows you to have multiple things plugged in, avoiding headaches resetting gain structures and other settings if you switch between two or three inputs. Your monitors and headphones, then, will be connected directly to the Scarlett's outputs, and you will be able to control monitor and headphone volume using the controls on the Scarlett, as well as monitor the inputs you're recording using the direct monitor switch. It won't be perfect, and you won't be able to make it perfect without replacing some or all of this equipment with components that give you more options, but it's a good place to start and better than not having any of this.
Yup.

I cut a ton of stuff in the 90s/00s like this with a Tascam mixer into a 4-track cassette, then a Soundblaster Live 32, then finally an M-Audio Delta 44.

It really makes you appreciate getting it to sound right in the room, then on the mixer, but with trial and error, I had demos that were pretty good and didn't need much work inside the computer, besides a bit of EQ and compression.

Having said that, a 4-channel interface is dirt cheap nowadays. We've really reached a point where the noise and lack of gain (on all but the most quiet sources) are not an issue provided some attention to detail (like gain-staging) is looked after.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Yup.

I cut a ton of stuff in the 90s/00s like this with a Tascam mixer into a 4-track cassette, then a Soundblaster Live 32, then finally an M-Audio Delta 44.

It really makes you appreciate getting it to sound right in the room, then on the mixer, but with trial and error, I had demos that were pretty good and didn't need much work inside the computer, besides a bit of EQ and compression.

Having said that, a 4-channel interface is dirt cheap nowadays. We've really reached a point where the noise and lack of gain (on all but the most quiet sources) are not an issue provided some attention to detail (like gain-staging) is looked after.
I agree. A UR44 runs about $300 new. If you keep the mixer, you can use a Scarlett 6i6 with the mixer providing the mic-input gain to the line-ins, and the first-gen 6i6s are selling brand-new for about what a 2nd-gen 2i2 costs.

If you're willing to buy used, a whole world opens up. A Mackie Onyx 1220i goes for between $300 and $500 depending on condition, location and seller, and it's essentially an all-in-one for this type of setup, provided you have a FireWire or Thunderbolt input on your computer. Four mic pres, four additional stereo strips, headphone and monitor output connections, and you can multitrack the entire mixer into the computer with stereo output for monitoring.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I agree. A UR44 runs about $300 new. If you keep the mixer, you can use a Scarlett 6i6 with the mixer providing the mic-input gain to the line-ins, and the first-gen 6i6s are selling brand-new for about what a 2nd-gen 2i2 costs.

If you're willing to buy used, a whole world opens up. A Mackie Onyx 1220i goes for between $300 and $500 depending on condition, location and seller, and it's essentially an all-in-one for this type of setup, provided you have a FireWire or Thunderbolt input on your computer. Four mic pres, four additional stereo strips, headphone and monitor output connections, and you can multitrack the entire mixer into the computer with stereo output for monitoring.
Yeah, it's night and day from when I was starting out... sometimes I think it's for the worse though: I spent my free time actually making music and getting by with what I had, now I spend my free time on here or listening to gear demos on YouTube.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Head

I'm having this issue now and I just cannot seem to understand any answers that are put my way, or they don't hit the exact spot I'm looking for. I have a Mackie CR1604-VLZ and a UR22. I am connecting the 2 line outs from the UR22 to channels 1 and 2 of the mixer. My monitors are connected to the C/R outs of the mixer.

This gives me the mixer led control over the audio in the two channels that I want (for now). Of course, I want my mixer to control the audio (not the DAW itself) all (say 8) channels of the tracks I'm working on at any given time - so evidently I need an audio interface that has at least 8 outputs. So I have the following questions:

1) Why must I connect the line outs to the mixer and not the line ins? I don't understand the science here, try as I have so far.

2) What audio interfaces would people recommend for my purposes?

3) How do I record the output of a mixed channel in my DAW? Say for example I'd EQ'd the bass on my drum track and I wanted it to sound like that in the final mix, where on the mixer would I put the cable from (presumably the line ins on my audio interface as they're the only ports spare), so that my master channel would record it as such? At the moment, I believe I can only monitor the effect on the sound but it won't actually affect the final mix.

Sorry if these questions are amateur, but I just want to know as I'm spending lots of time on it at the moment. It's inevitably influencing my workflow decisions.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search