The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Connecting a subwoofer
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

Connecting a subwoofer

Hey, I got a Scarlet 2i2 interface connected to my mac, and to a pair of Yamaha HS7's and it's working wonders for me. Now I'm lacking some low end in my little studio though. I haven't bought a subwoofer yet, but I'm planning on it sometime soon. My question is, how will I connect a subwoofer to my existing setup? Would I have to replace the Scarlett 2i2 with an interface that has more outputs? Cause I certainly cannot see any way to connect a sub to the interface. I've filled all the holes... I never owned a studio sub, and I would appreciate to hear from someone with experience regarding the vital low end.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

The subwoofer will have left and right inputs to be connected to your interface's outputs, the monitors will connect to the outputs on the sub.
Old 10th January 2017
Here for the gear

Basically that means I have to replace my interface, in order to connect a sub.. Or is there some sort of output magic on the market?
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHoLetsGo View Post
Basically that means I have to replace my interface, in order to connect a sub.. Or is there some sort of output magic on the market?
No..

Most powered subs have built-in crossovers. Whatever outputs you're currently using from the Interface will go into the subwoofer inputs. The sub will have stereo outputs that are high-passed at the crossover frequency. You're just passing the signal through a crossover and into your monitors.

If you're not using a sub with an internal crossover, you would send your interface stereo outputs to a crossover input and then send the crossover outputs to a sub, and to your speakers.

If you look at this manual for the KRK 10s, it should become more clear: http://www.krksys.com/manuals/subwoofers/krk10s_manual.pdf
Old 24th January 2020
Here for the gear

Connecting Old Subwoofer to HS7 monitors

Hi guys , Im new here and i need your help with the connection. I have very good Yamaha Subwoofer YST-SW325 which has been discontinued, but the sound is amazing and I would love to connect it to my Yamaha HS7 monitor speakers ( somehow) and this is where I need your expertise. My understanding is that connection should this way from Sub - OUT - HS7 IN , then from Sub IN to Interface ( Audient ID14) Out using RCA to Jack cable.
All would be good if my sub would have nice XLR ot jack output ...but it doesn't :( instead it has these weir speaker wire outputs (picture attached). So my question to you guys is what options do I have ? What cables/converters etc. I need to use to connect this sub out to my speakers In ? Or maybe I don't need to connect Sub to Monitors ? Maybe I can connect directly to interface...??? But I don't think this is right.
I have attached pictures of Sub & HS7. Is there any cable which I could use for this Sub OUT to my HS7? If so, can you tell me the type of the cable or converters, please? I know absolutely nothing about the cables all I know is XLR /Jack & Pin LOL Please help !!! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Connecting a subwoofer-sub.jpg   Connecting a subwoofer-hs7-cables-used.jpg   Connecting a subwoofer-hs7-inputs.jpg  
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Agnes, if you look at the picture of the sub you'll see that it reads "input 1 from amplifier". So the subwoofer expects an already amplified input signal. Your HS7 monitors have amplifiers built into them already, and I'm guessing the Audient does not have an amp built in.

So just picking different cables wouldn't work because the levels that the sub needs are different from the HS7's.

The most neat solution would probably be to pick a different sub from Yamaha that is meant to go with speakers such as the HS7 (not sure what that would be).
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Makes sense. Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Makes sense. Thank you
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search