The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Basic studio equipment to open a studio Condenser Microphones
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Uhh... NOW people say that. When SSL came out that is not what most people said. SSL's were very undesirable when they first came out. I remember most people saying the SSL 4000 consoles sounded like crap and that the E series EQ in them were way too "crunchy" on the top end. And that the consoles overall felt sterile and like there was a veil over the mix compared to all the other consoles that were out at that time (Neve, API, MCI, Focusrite, etc). That is ultimately why a lot of 80's rock records and hiphop/rap records were done on SSL 4000 consoles... because the SSL room was the "cheaper" room at the studio complex! HAHAHA Then SSL upgraded things... fixed some things... redesigned some things and started getting something that was half decent.

The one big thing about SSL consoles for their time was their automation system, hands down. They had an integrated automation system in the console (you didn't have to retro-fit flying faders or some other system into the console after you bought it) and when they started doing their TOTAL RECALL system that changed the game for a lot of people. Even if the console didn't sound as good, having the total recall system made people suck it up and use the console even though they were preferring the sound of other consoles. And over time you get used to it, you learn to work around the problems... and the sound becomes the sound...

Anyway... as time goes on people tend to forget all the negative stuff and glorify the few minor positives about any situation. LOL I always chuckle when people glorify tape too... most people hated working on tape and would fight over getting to work on a digital daw system so they didn't have to deal with all the problems that came along with tape... now people glorify tape. Same thing with Vinyl... hahahaha... my how times and perceptions change.
I totally I agreed with that ..just adding that the recall system on an old SSL will take all the band's budget for their recording session.."but well ya know we did record inna studio with a SSL"..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search