The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The "Old school" sound Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
That's because the microphones are much closer and most parts are overdubbed that were played live in the old days.
Also, if you were limited to 4 or 8 tracks, you did "batch" overdubs. Several things at once, miked individually but all going to the same track. More leakage, better feel (ideally).
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simppu View Post
If you read the thread i'm going to use superior, i will mic vocals and guitars only, i will play bass DI too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
lots of those 80's rock records were done in good tracking rooms with good mics.
really tough to get that power and air in a small dry sounding garage and then adding a room sim.
It seems strange to me to take one of the most characteristic elements of the Old School style - the drumming - and toss it blithely away and then ask how to get that "style" in these other ways.

It's like saying: I want to make an old-school New York style Pizza, but I won't be using real cheese. What kind of pepperoni should I get?
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
It seems strange to me to take one of the most characteristic elements of the Old School style - the drumming - and toss it blithely away and then ask how to get that "style" in these other ways.

It's like saying: I want to make an old-school New York style Pizza, but I won't be using real cheese. What kind of pepperoni should I get?
PREACH!!
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

Comparing pizza without a cheese to using a superior drummer is kinda clunky. As it to actually make sense i should have claimed that i won't use drums at all and what other instrument should i use instead.

For me superior emulates real drums so well that considering all the other factors such as convenience, ease to use and the price, it really is a no brainer for me. I know some people that are audophiles or more picky about things can hear super sonical differences between emulations and the real thing, but i don't hear them so they work for me.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Also, if you were limited to 4 or 8 tracks, you did "batch" overdubs. Several things at once, miked individually but all going to the same track. More leakage, better feel (ideally).
I don't know if this is about the 60's music but at least in the 80's i'd dare to say that there were more tracks in the mix than 4 - 8?
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know if this is about the 60's music but at least in the 80's i'd dare to say that there were more tracks in the mix than 4 - 8?
Sure, but I was responding to what Bob O. had said. I don't mean to speak for him, but I'm guessing that by "the old days" he meant 60's/70's.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sure, but I was responding to what Bob O. had said. I don't mean to speak for him, but I'm guessing that by "the old days" he meant 60's/70's.
Yeah that's what i meant, and yeah the older music definitely had less tracks, you can actually hear it when you're listening to em and then compare it to 80's and it gets a lot more complex already.
Old 14th January 2017
I wish I hadn't read through this thread. Now, not only do I feel old.. but I'm also craving pizza.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Yeah.You get what you pay for.
I never got superior drums remotely close to sounding as good as a nicely mic'd kit played by a human.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah.You get what you pay for.
I never got superior drums remotely close to sounding as good as a nicely mic'd kit played by a human.
Yeah, a super sonical difference or even better, a worse sound unless you record the drums with the best engineers in the world and in top notch live rooms.

Video related:

Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, a super sonical difference or even better, a worse sound unless you record the drums with the best engineers in the world and in top notch live rooms.

Video related:

And your point is?
The guys a terrible drummer.
And the live drums sound lame.
Superior sounds like superior.
Triggered drums.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Comparing pizza without a cheese to using a superior drummer is kinda clunky.
I said the pizza won't be using REAL cheese. It will have fake cheese.

I think the metaphor is apt. You start a thread essentially looking for a "recipe" and then announce up-front that you have already decided to substitute one of the major "ingredients".

If 'authenticity' is your goal, as you claim, it puts you in a hole before you even start.

Quote:
For me superior emulates real drums so well that considering all the other factors such as convenience, ease to use and the price, it really is a no brainer for me.
So you are going to program the drum parts in?
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

Unsubscribing.
Good luck with your project.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
And your point is?
The guys a terrible drummer.
And the live drums sound lame.
Superior sounds like superior.
Triggered drums.
My point here is that unless you know how to mic and record drums, have a really nice live room and a great drummer at least i would in that case steer to superior rather. Superior Drummer samples are recorded in one of the best rooms in the world there is, by top notch engineers and with top notch hardware, and it sounds like that.

This might be subjective like almost everything that's said in this thread but, to me the superior has a way better sound in that video, and they sound like professionally recorded authentic drums to me.

Quote:
I said the pizza won't be using REAL cheese. It will have fake cheese.

I think the metaphor is apt. You start a thread essentially looking for a "recipe" and then announce up-front that you have already decided to substitute one of the major "ingredients".

If 'authenticity' is your goal, as you claim, it puts you in a hole before you even start.

So you are going to program the drum parts in?
The only problem is that that the cheese in this case is modeled from the original cheese and in an amazing way i could say.

Another flawed assumption there. I never said that you're not allowed to offer a different insight here, that would be against the rules of this forum in the first place. And i never really asked any particular "recipe" for the sound itself, but rather did it for open and enjoyable debate about the thing. Also the recipe includes a lot more than just recording real drums.

This thread was originally aimed to discuss about to get the same atmosphere for your songs than in the 80's and 90's, and about if it can be achieved by going ITB. While different insights are allowed of course already by the rules of this forum, it doesn't mean that i need to automatically adopt them or i will end up in a "hole" as you claim if i don't put every tip that's said in this thread in use but instead find another way that suits me more.

And yes i will program the drums in DAW.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Trash View Post
I wish I hadn't read through this thread. Now, not only do I feel old.. but I'm also craving pizza.
YOU feel old?
They pulled my old school down in the 90’s and now it sounds like a car Park!
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
YOU feel old?
They pulled my old school down in the 90’s and now it sounds like a car Park!
Stuff like that started to happen here in finland when 2000's arrived. some marts, post offices, kiosks etc were taken down suddenly which was weird.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear
Ok, Lets hear a production your old school way?
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude24man View Post
I can post my material here when i get something done. It should be quite obvious to you by reading this thread that i don't have the equipment yet to record material.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
He said they tore it down.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
He said they tore it down.
Exactly, i think some people here think too that you're not allowed to criticize their work unless you have something to show youself, wew lad.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, some of my production is so old school it can't fit on the internet
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear
Ok, I get it! Back on track. How about FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT by TRIUMPH? Drums sound pretty killer.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I get it! Back on track. How about FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT by TRIUMPH? Drums sound pretty killer.
Very good track, never heard of this band before.

I think the narrower frequency range helps focus the listener on the performances somehow. The image of the band in a space in front of the listener is very naturally presented. Very different from a lot of modern recordings where the high and low end detail tends to create exaggerated perspectives.
The drums, for example, are very rounded and punchy, but never poke out far enough to distract from the whole, whereas these days the drums tend to frame the mix much more.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Very good track, never heard of this band before.

I think the narrower frequency range helps focus the listener on the performances somehow. The image of the band in a space in front of the listener is very naturally presented. Very different from a lot of modern recordings where the high and low end detail tends to create exaggerated perspectives.
The drums, for example, are very rounded and punchy, but never poke out far enough to distract from the whole, whereas these days the drums tend to frame the mix much more.
Literally everything in the mix these days frames the mix and tries to steal the listener's attention instead of being in a smooth harmony with one another. Someone had a flash of blasting every track to the noon and thus came up with the sound of nowadays.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Love Triumph. The studio they recorded most of their stuff in is owned by the drummer. Metalworks Studio just outside Toronto.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Nut

So you had to derail my thread by posting a sh1tty song from the early 80's that has nothing to do with this thread soundwise?
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Exactly, i think some people here think too that you're not allowed to criticize their work unless you have something to show youself, wew lad.
I guess it's unreasonable to expect that from people who have nothing to show.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I guess it's unreasonable to expect that from people who have nothing to show.
It is also unreasonable because the moment you put your work online for others to listen, you're automatically putting it on a pedestal for us to criticize it, without us needing to show you anything back. :^)

I think this should be pretty obvious to everyone on the internet already.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear
My only intent was to show a really cool drum sound and tune. Sorry
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search