The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate everything bundle vs waves bundles Plugin Bundles
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Nut

Slate everything bundle vs waves bundles

I need some help. Between slate everything bundle everything bundle and a waves bundle which are the better sounding more flexible and functional plugins. Any help is appreciated.
Old 29th December 2016
Demo them. Waves has way more plugins then Slate. Both have great reputations as far as sound quality. Waves doesn't require an ilok but Slate does.
Old 29th December 2016

Both have excellent products.

Waves has WUP. Look up what that is, and if you want to deal with it. Of course if you are using the Slate rental program, it will be similar.

Waves have a larger range of products.

If you're looking for the standard types of plugin (eq, compression, reverb etc) I would personally go with Slate, largely because of WUP, and also because Slate has excellent products.

Then again, depending on what you are after, I would probably go for a range of products from a range of developers.

Matt
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

The Slate stuff is awesome and useable. It's also mostly pretty new, while much of the Waves bundles were - last time I checked - fairly heavily padded out with 10 year old plug-ins. (Not that newer is always better, but the fact is that plug in development has moved on a lot in even the lastb5 years.) And, yeah, Waves paid update policy can be irritating - though has little practical effect when a product hasn't been updated in 5 years!

The Slate EQs and compressors do tend towards the character end of the spectrum, but the again if you then want a totally vanilla EQ, compressor or limiter, your DAW's native plugs will likely get the job done - so it makes sense to get 3rd party plugs that are genuinely different sounding to the stuff you already have.

Honestly, speaking as someone who has bought a number of plugs from both companies, I'd go the Slate Everything yearly plan in a heartbeat over Waves (especially give the new releases they've been bringing out), and possibly supplement with FabFilter if you felt the need for better transparent processing a few months down the line. But, really, the Slate bundle on its own is an awesome, comprehensive set of mixing tools, so get that and have a 6 month moratorium on any other plugs.
Old 29th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
and possibly supplement with FabFilter

+1 on this. Slate and Fabfilter would be my pick if I had to choose only two companies.

The Eiosis eq that is somehow linked with Slate is a good clean one. I'm not sure if this is part of the Slate everything bundle?

Matt
Old 31st December 2016
I personally think waves is the best plugin company.
Old 31st December 2016
Slate plugins are good, but I don't like renting software.
Old 31st December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Trash View Post
Slate plugins are good, but I don't like renting software.
You don't have to. They have both rent and buy options. Or at least, you can buy the individual plugins.

Slate's rental program works out cheaper than Waves, and with Waves' WUP you have to buy AND rent (assuming you want upgrades).

Matt
Old 31st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
You don't have to. They have both rent and buy options. Or at least, you can buy the individual plugins.

Slate's rental program works out cheaper than Waves, and with Waves' WUP you have to buy AND rent (assuming you want upgrades).

Matt
I don't much care for the Waves Upgrade Program either. I don't mind paying for an upgrade when I want or need it.. unless I'm just paying for bug fixes.
Old 31st December 2016
A few comments :

1) you don't need to upgrade your waves plugs unless you switch to a new OS basically, so it's optional for as long as your system is compatible. I m still on the same version from 5 years ago and I've never paid for WUP.

2) no one needs ALL the Waves plugins - there are a ton of unecessary plugs in that collection - your money would be better spent focusing your efforts on plugs you need rather than just buying the whole lot.
3) plenty of other plugin companies make great plugs :Soundtoys, Klanghem, Valhalla, Izotope, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance, stillwell etc . If you put all your eggs in one developper's basket, you risk having a total shutdown if you get any licensing or tech related issues.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search