The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it too late for Music production Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear

Is it too late for Music production

I'm 16 and I've been trying to convince my parents to do music production as a hobby for almost 3 years now and they finally agreed It's just I don't know If It's too late for me since I think I only have gathered very little information in the past 3 years and I know how to play some piano but since It was not allowed in our house I only learned some from my friend but I have no experience yet and I was really wondering If It's already too late for me at the age of 16 to start from the basics?
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Maniac

16! You're a baby!!! LOL. There are people here that start this stuff at 50.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

When one really thinks about it any age is never to late to start producing music once the passion for it is there. However, when taking it from the hobby to career level that is something that one should take serious and think about before placing their eggs in one basket. A lot of people who start producing music male beats usually from software online which is cool but most Never realize or understand the importance of investing on the promotions/Marketing level of themselves.

There are many levels of Music Production from the hobbyists to the Professionals whiles the competitive field is very overwhelming because every years another million step up to the plate and want to go straight to composing song with platinum selling artist's. While a good majority never seem to realize that the entire Music Industry it self is in a difficult place right now meaning it's less then 1/3rd profitable oppose to a decade ago. Whiles Major Artist's struggle on staying relevant and trying to figure out what will sell for profit regarding hit songs. The saturation factor kicks in on many levels as for being profitable or selling. Once upon a time Albums use to sell millions amd go diamond whiles things later moved on to CD sales going even higher. The downfall started occurring from the mp3's being uncontrollable online from file sharing which most thought is a good way of promotion to now streams with a influx of amateurs & pros trying to achieve streams and let alone sales.

There are other fields in music that producing can achieve success besides just commercial music. So keep at it and let don't let anything deter you from your dreams.
Old 17th December 2016
7+1
Lives for gear

Heres how I see it. At 16, that is the perfect age to start really perfecting your taste and craft. Granted, things are a little different now then they were when I was 16 in the 90s.. At 16, I liked girls and music. That is about all there was then other than sports and getting into trouble. Now, there is soooooo much more to distract you from getting good at your passion. Social media, Games, social media.. computers... social media... girls...

The key with everything is DRIVE, DISCIPLINE, and PASSION. If you love it, and you put in the focus. I will promise you that you will get very good at it. Never stop reading, and practicing.

16 is a perfect age to start diving in..
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Dive in!!!!!

Last edited by Smack Dammit; 17th December 2016 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: misspelled
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear
Wow this is depressing.. 16 y/o and wondering if too old what is the world coming too
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Wow this is depressing.. 16 y/o and wondering if too old what is the world coming too
On the other hand, many of the greatest musicians, not producers, started practicing their main instrument way before 16. But granted, that's not what the thread was about, and I agree that 16 being "too late" for production is... "funny"...
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Head

the problem has a name. Something like Marden Garrigz :D So, no surprises here.
I'm into production since I was 10, it was in 97. I was studying everything myself, there were no production-wise institutions or really helpful sources of knowledge that time in Russia. So, 20 years later I can tell you - it doesn't matter when do you start, it's important HOW you start. If you'll get a well-treated room, decent set of speakers, some essential tools and lots of patience, you'll really start doing something worthy just in a year, maybe, or two. And as for instruments - just play 'em! And practice as hard as you can.
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear

It's not late. Give it a few years and gain some experience then go make that money. If you aren't doing for money then you're just wasting your time, it means nothing if it only becomes a passion. Passion should = money!
Old 18th December 2016
Here for the gear

For music and arts, in general, It's never late unless you are dead!
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

I made the mistake of thinking it was too late when I was 22, I wasted a lot of time that way. Try to set up small and realistic goals for yourself, watch tutorials and work hard.
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

Like me, I`ve been at this Home recording thing for about a18 months.....I`m gonna be 50 in 2 Weeks
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Head

This thread is lol. I'm 30. I wish i started when i was 16 jesus christ!
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

if you have to force it or feel like youre being rushed youre doing it wrong and probably don't enjoy doing it. if you have dreams of making money and being successful youre doing it wrong as well if that's your motivation. just quit if that's you. I just record youtube voice over videos. ive tried to expand into music a few times. didn't really have any desire to which I kinda wish I did but I don't. I used to make a lot of 3d animations but I feel like I'm forcing myself these days if I try to start that up again. you almost feel like you have a midlife crisis like the guy above saying he wished he started at 16 lol. bro the odds of you getting anywhere other thaan wasting your time with this stuff is 1000 to 1. that's the real facepalm especially when youre 30. youre a old man already. you aint gonna be Justin Bieber youre creeper age tho.belieb dat. I'm about to turn 30 in a couple of months. ill try to not let it affect me tho. I'm already old i know that.

just post your music on youtube with a pretty young anime girl picture displayed so they don't see your wrinkly ass. then it wont matter. little kids are dorks. the older I get the more I realize that. being young is overrated. nothing but pipe dreams,
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

@Desee don't worry about making it into a career and doing music in any form as a hobby should be worth more than money. Why was piano not allowed in your house? First thing is to choose an instrument and go from there.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoyo View Post
you almost feel like you have a midlife crisis like the guy above saying he wished he started at 16 lol. bro the odds of you getting anywhere other thaan wasting your time with this stuff is 1000 to 1. that's the real facepalm especially when youre 30. youre a old man already.
First of all i don't understand why me saying "i wish i started when i was 16" translates to me having a midlife crisis. I know where you pulled that from.

Secondly, with that attitude yes you will no doubt amount to nothing. You're basically saying "oh you're 30? give up now then" which is a really pathetic way of thinking. Who are you to say what will happen? 1000 to 1 is way off. it's probably closer to 100 to 1 or less if you really put in the effort.

Anyway, what's wrong with trying to learn and do something well and having a hobby you enjoy? And if you make money on top of that, that's icing on the cake but jeez can't you dream as well? BTW 30 isn't really that old. You can have 30+ years of music ahead of you. You should probably look yourself in the mirror dude. Judge yourself if you want but don't judge someone you don't even know. Cheers
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Head

Sincerly hit some punani and booze and come back after 10 years to see how this thread is doing.
Old 20th December 2016
Here for the gear

Easiest way to start music producing:

Get a computer/laptop.

Get a DAW.

That is genuinely is all you need! I started at 16/17 and all I had was a laptop with a broken headphone port and a cracked version of FL studio.

The rest you can learn from the internet. Google is your best friend.

"A year from now, you'll wish you'd started today".
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

It's never too late unless you're dead. It may be past time to ask other people's permission to do things you want to do.
L.
Old 21st December 2016
Here for the gear
You are so fortunate & probably don't know how really lucky you are to have the tools available today...I started at 51, creating music makes me feel like I'm 20. Learning the recording/engineering process has been the hobby I've been searching years for.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Head

^That's awesome!
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

It's never too late.

You will be really good by age 30.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

The number of times you've orbited the sun has no bearing—whatsoever—on what you can achieve if you put your heart and soul into it. Always follow your passion without expectation of the outcome. At the very least, you'll be happy (true success). Anything else is icing on the cake :¬)

That doesn't mean you can't set your goals high, btw. By all means do. Just make sure you enjoy the process rather than struggle for a specific outcome.

Old 21st December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desee View Post
I'm 16 and I've been trying to convince my parents to do music production as a hobby for almost 3 years now and they finally agreed
I am sure your parents will enjoy "doing music production as a hobby".

It was nice of you to spend 3 years trying to convince them to do it!

Quote:
It's just I don't know If It's too late
If you are 16, that would make your parents somewhere in their mid to late 30's? I am guessing. That's not too late, I am sure your parents will be able to adapt and learn plenty of things!

I mean it's not like they were 16 years old, where they would be perfectly positioned to be starting out. But even at their 'advanced' age, they could get somewhere, for sure.

Last edited by joeq; 21st December 2016 at 05:54 PM..
Old 21st December 2016
It's never too late for music!!!
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

The magic word is hobby. Learn an have fun while at it.
Don't confuse a production hobby with planning a career.
Learn and enjoy first and you will find your way later.
It's never to late to start a hobby.
Old 21st December 2016
ccg
Gear Maniac

You've been trying to convince your parents to let you get into music production since you were 13? Yeah, you're gonna be fine if you're that into it. Start now and enjoy the ride. It's the perfect time.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search