The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg D1600mkII with Protools 10 on mac?
Old 2nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Question Korg D1600mkII with Protools 10 on mac?

Greetings all,

I'm trying to use a Korg D1600 mkII as my interface for recording into ProTools 10, or even garageband if PT can't.

Is this possible/what do I need to download to make it so? (star trek reference)

Many thanks!

Specs:

(via USB)
Mac mini OS 10.8.5
2.6 GHz intel core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Protools version 10.0.0
Korg Digital Recorder D1600 mkII
Garageband 11' version 6.0.5
Old 29th October 2018
Here for the gear

Hey, did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm trying to get 16 tracks out of the Korg D1600mkII into PTLE also. I'm hoping there's a way!

John
[email protected]
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Korg D1600 MKII

Hello to you all.
I am in a position to buy this unit.
I actually need it. My D16 has died and my backup disk will only work on another Korg recorder: D16 (disk) to a D1600mk (which has midi output) to a computer based memory system.
The problem is that no matter what I do I keep getting the error signal on the MKII. "no disk" or "Drive error".
I swapped out the drive...still no go. Same messages.

Is there a way to initialize/reboot the !600 to its original factory settings??
The person who had it said they only used it as a midi controller and didn't use the disk for backup. Could it be as simple as something is switched and needs to be switched back??

I am at a loss. I am in Korg 16 track hell.

I am Jean Luc Pickard and I have met the KORG.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Korg D1600 MKII

Hello to you all.

Sick of COMIC CON.

How (if possible) do you reset a Kory K1600 MKII to factory/original settings?

All digital units have a reboot....right?? Or do I smell scam.

Thanks to all for any help you may provide.

Ernest
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest210 View Post
Hello to you all.
I am in a position to buy this unit.
I actually need it. My D16 has died and my backup disk will only work on another Korg recorder: D16 (disk) to a D1600mk (which has midi output) to a computer based memory system.
The problem is that no matter what I do I keep getting the error signal on the MKII. "no disk" or "Drive error".
I swapped out the drive...still no go. Same messages.

Is there a way to initialize/reboot the !600 to its original factory settings??
The person who had it said they only used it as a midi controller and didn't use the disk for backup. Could it be as simple as something is switched and needs to be switched back??

I am at a loss. I am in Korg 16 track hell.

I am Jean Luc Pickard and I have met the KORG.
The D1600mkii essentially 'initializes' when it is powered on. Any settings that are done get stored to the hard drive during the power down sequence. The only initialize you might need to do is a format of a new drive or if the old one got corrupted. Assuming the machine seems to boot OK, can you get to the menu to format the disk?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Korg D1600 mkII

Hi again,

Would this menu/format information and procedure be in the manual somewhere? Of course, I have learned Korg.com doesn't make multitrack recorders (of this primative caliber) anymore, so that ave. for knowledge is out.

I am doubly curious. How did your MkII interfacing with Pro Tools work out.
That too is the route I wish to take if I can salvage my current situation with this D1600, Well, I have no choice, as I said before, it is the only way I know of to restore the saved data that I have on disk and present it to a new format......
IS IT???
I have been told that Korg is a propriatory system. Only a Korg can read a Korg...
Are there other ways to restore my disk information to a Pro Tools/Garage Band/computer based format? Negating my need for using the MkII as a translator and just using as an Manual control board interface? I hate using a mouse. I like the feeling of sliders and knobs. I can feel the response.

Yeah, I know it's in my head. Old man, old tech, still rockin.

Your views are respected and very much appreciated!
Ernest
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest210 View Post
Hi again,

Would this menu/format information and procedure be in the manual somewhere? Of course, I have learned Korg.com doesn't make multitrack recorders (of this primative caliber) anymore, so that ave. for knowledge is out.

I am doubly curious. How did your MkII interfacing with Pro Tools work out.
That too is the route I wish to take if I can salvage my current situation with this D1600, Well, I have no choice, as I said before, it is the only way I know of to restore the saved data that I have on disk and present it to a new format......
IS IT???
I have been told that Korg is a propriatory system. Only a Korg can read a Korg...
Are there other ways to restore my disk information to a Pro Tools/Garage Band/computer based format? Negating my need for using the MkII as a translator and just using as an Manual control board interface? I hate using a mouse. I like the feeling of sliders and knobs. I can feel the response.

Yeah, I know it's in my head. Old man, old tech, still rockin.

Your views are respected and very much appreciated!
Ernest
Manual...... https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...ual/1/76/1599/

Yes, proprietary file system on the disk.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi all,
Help Please.
If I format the hard drive will this restore the unit to its original operating parameters?
Is there a later update operating system than the 1.0 for the D1600 MKII. (Currently installed)
If you load the system from the USB, can it deactivate or reactivate or do nothing at all to CD/RW operations?
Is there a CD-ROM/R/RW disk for the D1600 mkII? Is there a disk that contains the system file?
Is there a restoration disk that will reset the unit to original operating parameters?
I keep getting a "no disk" error when I try using (accessing) the CD/R (internal) for data restore, or just music play (from commercial CD's).
The unit was used in the USB/MIDI format/mode: would this somehow shut down the part of the brain in this unit that can read, access, restore music or data on the CD/RW drive?

I just feel that it is something simple that I am missing. Replaced the drive unit and got the same "error/no disk" message.
THe CD/R drive that is in the unit now is a LTR-48246S. Is this even the right driver? The one I substituted was of the same, but if the original was wrong, so would be the new driver.
Is there ANYONE in Southern California that knows how to REALLY service this unit. Electronic schematics, service manuals, successful intimate knowledge of this machine. Please help.
Any help would be appreciate.
Peace to you all.
Ernest
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi all,
Help Please.
If I format the hard drive will this restore the unit to its original operating parameters?
Is there a later update operating system than the 1.0 for the D1600 MKII. (Currently installed)
If you load the system from the USB, can it deactivate or reactivate or do nothing at all to CD/RW operations?
Is there a CD-ROM/R/RW disk for the D1600 mkII? Is there a disk that contains the system file? Where can I get this disk. Where is this menu that your spoke of in earlier message actually be found?
Is there a restoration disk that will reset the unit to original operating parameters?
I keep getting a "no disk" error when I try using (accessing) the CD/R (internal) for data restore, or just music play (from commercial CD's).
The unit was used in the USB/MIDI format/mode: would this somehow shut down the part of the brain in this unit that can read, access, restore music or data on the CD/RW drive?

I just feel that it is something simple that I am missing. Replaced the drive unit and got the same "error/no disk" message.
THe CD/R drive that is in the unit now is a LTR-48246S. Is this even the right driver? The one I substituted was of the same, but if the original was wrong, so would be the new driver.
Is there ANYONE in Southern California that knows how to REALLY service this unit. Electronic schematics, service manuals, successful intimate knowledge of this machine. Please help.
Any help would be appreciate.
Peace to you all.
Ernest
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

korg MKII

Hi,
OH..Does anyone have any of these disk or downloads available??
Perhaps know where might I go to find them????
Ernest
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where is this menu that your spoke of in earlier message actually be found?
- Read the manual I linked previously to find the 'menu' for formatting the hard drive.

- Formatting the hard drive only clears old data and prepares it for recording. Formatting may reset some global system settings if those are stored to the hard drive rather than memory in the machine.

- I have a D1600 (not the mkii). The original CD/RW drive had failed and finding a replacement back around 2003 was difficult as the D1600 required a very specific CD/RW drive to function without error messages like you seem to be getting. If the CD/RW drive has failed the machine may not boot correctly and you may want to try removing it (disconnect the cables) to test if that is the problem you may be having. My own D1600 does not have a CD/RW drive installed anymore because of the difficultly finding a replacement and prevented the machine from booting properly. I actually don't use the D1600 anymore as I'm using a different means to record. I've attached a PDF of drives that were OK for the D12, D16, and D1600 back in 2003. The D1600mkii may work with a more updated drive, but I don't have a list for the D1600mkii.

- How the D1600mkii boots up and functions depends on firmware stored in a memory chip. The latest version firmware is v1.05, but there is not much in it except to fix a few minor bugs. Updating the firmware should not affect the operation of the CD/RW drive.
https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/76/

- As for someone to service the machine, there will likely be a 'bench charge' just for them to look at it. Expect about $60-75 for the bench charge from a reputable shop.

If you need to find things like firmware, manuals, etc, this link works pretty good......https://www.google.com/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DrivesDseries.pdf (52.0 KB, 2 views)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search