The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ORTF with onmi mics!
Old 4th May 2016
Here for the gear

ORTF with onmi mics!

Hi all,

i'm a professional sound engineer for classical music, and a few days back, recorded an orchestra in a way I never did. I used an ORTF setting, but with omnidirectional mics (2x Josephson C617). Normally ORTF is used with cardiod mics. I wondered if any of you ever did a similar thing? It sounded great!! Here is a little excerpt from the recording:

Let me know your thoughts!

Regards,
Michael
Old 4th May 2016
What you are really getting is a closely spaced ab pair with perhaps a touch more separation in the high frequencies. Which can sound good if done right. You are getting a nice sound with a very narrow sound field as if recorded at a distance. I suppose that found be useful for some types of ensembles or instruments. Though for orchestra a bit more separation would be my preference.

It is not something I would really think of trying. The narrowest I have used ab spacing is about 30cm
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

ORTF uses cardioids by definition. Your recording is just as rumleymusic said. You can get a little better separation by placing an absorptive material between the mics, like a variation on the Jecklin Disk.

I don't get to do classical much, but I usually use ORTF above and behind the conductor or a spaced pair of omnis. I tried XY but it didn't work very well. I've been forced to multi-mic a few times but don't like it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search