The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm just a newbie... :'( help?
Old 1st October 2015
Here for the gear

I'm just a newbie... :'( help?

(I'm a brazilian girl and I do speak english, but I'm really sorry if I make any mistakes on technical terms and stuff)

So, I'm a huge fan of TRAP music, EDM, Chillstep and eletronic music in general. Lately I've been working on a DJ carreer but what I really wanna do is to produce eletronic music, specially trap.
Thing is: I'm kinda lost
I've been practicing and trying to learn all that I can about sound design, mixing, etc on my own. But, I think you guys know how hard that can be. So, if you can, please help me. I'd really love to have someone to guide me through this tough beginning.

What I wanna know is:
- How can I learn about sound design without taking any courses? (I live in Brazil's capital, Brasilia and we don't have much resources for that here)
- What kind of equipments I have to buy first?
- How can I understand more about the eletronic music scene and market?
- Any tips and help are very welcome
Thank you
Old 1st October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativiciouss View Post
(I'm a brazilian girl and I do speak english, but I'm really sorry if I make any mistakes on technical terms and stuff)

So, I'm a huge fan of TRAP music, EDM, Chillstep and eletronic music in general. Lately I've been working on a DJ carreer but what I really wanna do is to produce eletronic music, specially trap.
Thing is: I'm kinda lost
I've been practicing and trying to learn all that I can about sound design, mixing, etc on my own. But, I think you guys know how hard that can be. So, if you can, please help me. I'd really love to have someone to guide me through this tough beginning.

What I wanna know is:
- How can I learn about sound design without taking any courses? (I live in Brazil's capital, Brasilia and we don't have much resources for that here)
- What kind of equipments I have to buy first?
- How can I understand more about the eletronic music scene and market?
- Any tips and help are very welcome
Thank you
First off, welcome to Gearslutz and the world of making electronic music.

Youtube is a great place to learn about sound design for free.

You really just need a computer, a DAW (Most people here recommend Reaper for its low cost) and some plugins. Native Instruments makes stuff that will work for you, though that'll be expensive. You'll also need headphones, a small interface, a mic, a stand, and a cable. You may also want a pop filter if you buy a condenser mic (I recommend that you do)

As for the market/scene, I recommend finding people that are successful and write to them. You'd be surprised, sometimes people write back. Most importantly, the scene in Brasil is going to be very different than America or the UK, so it's important that you find some people that are successful there and bother them until they notice you.

The most important thing when it comes to learning is to find a mentor. If you're in Rio, I'm sure there are many people making music, some will definitely be making electronic music. Just because you may not like the genre they're writing, you'll still learn a ton as all of this genre stuff is really just kind of marketing nonsense. Music is music when it comes down to it. Things like Trap may use fewer sounds and have more space than say Reggaton, but the underlying ideas on how to create the music is the same.
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

Hello! Whilst I agree with most of what donsolo said, I would argue that for EDM and trap, I'd look at Ableton or FL Studio. Reaper is a great value tho, it's what I use, but FL and Ableton might have more accessible sounds and workflow for someone just starting out. I don't know about demo versions, but if at all possible try a few demos of various DAW's and find one that works for you - it's a very subjective decision that really only you can answer.
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Nut

not to be "That guy" but we do have a whole forum for Production of electronic music
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ic-production/
there is plenty to start with in the stickies, and any additional questions will be answered more quickly as its the focus of that forum.
Old 2nd October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by changoe View Post
Hello! Whilst I agree with most of what donsolo said, I would argue that for EDM and trap, I'd look at Ableton or FL Studio. Reaper is a great value tho, it's what I use, but FL and Ableton might have more accessible sounds and workflow for someone just starting out. I don't know about demo versions, but if at all possible try a few demos of various DAW's and find one that works for you - it's a very subjective decision that really only you can answer.
I agree. I don't use Reaper myself, though I've tried it and it seems robust enough.

I personally use Digital Performer. FL Studio is PC-only if I remember correctly. Ableton is great for just about everything, though I never vibed with the workflow personally. I prefer a more old-school approach. DP does that well, though the MIDI implementation in DP is tremendous, despite how little I use it anymore (Check the link in my sig if you want to understand what kind of music I make these days).

Another option that's worth looking into is Reason. That's the closest you'll get to a hardware experience in the box.
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

Get a DAW (after a little research), then make 100 tracks!
Old 2nd October 2015
Smile

I agree you can learn about sound design on youtube, specially searching tutorials like: how to make bass for (music genre you're interested in), you can also learn about synthesis on sound on sound magazine Synth Secrets: Links to All Parts
you should also learn about mixing on youtube and there are some blogs on the internet

Equipment: DAW (I recommend ableton live, specially for electronic music), audio interface, flat monitor headphones, if you have the money you should also buy flat monitor speakers and some acoustic treatment kits for your room (so you can hear properly, and know how your music really sounds like)

music scene: you can start by being a DJ in local bars and places, you should get in the scene with time…

Extra tips: you should try to replicate your favorite music to learn what is going on, what happens when, how something should sound like etc. at the same time make music, you should be making music all the time, with time you will get good, you could learn about electronic music production on Ableton Tutorials, Cubase Tutorials, Logic Pro Tutorials, Reason Tutorials, Music Production Tutorials, DJ Tutorials | SonicAcademy.com - Create. Record. Perform., or Mr. Bill's Tunes - For Hardcore Abletoneers, Welcome to The Tom Cosm Ableton Community these web pages sell very good tutorial videos, and they are not expensive
Old 2nd October 2015
It could also be beneficial to try to find a used NI Maschine as well. I picked one up a while back for $200 CAD, so they aren't overly pricey. Good headphones will be a great investment for electronic music as well. For a DAW, a lot of companies offer a free trial, so you can see which you like to work on. Studio One by presonus is not a bad program at all, and there is a free version of it that you could start on and upgrade if you needed to and decided its the workflow you like. An audio interface would be the other crucial component.

As to how to learn, the internet is a scary yet wonderful place. Theres lots of advice and tutorials and such around. The best tool for learning however is still just practice. The more you practice and do hands on, the better you will get! I have a close friend in Brasilia that has looked into the music scene there for me (I've considered moving), so I know there is a decent enough music scene there.

Best of luck! If you have any questions always feel free to ask
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search