The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to compress?
Old 15th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
You're decreasing the dynamic range between the lowest and the highest peaks so in essence you actually are raising the dynamic range of everything because everything is closer together in dynamic range. The average volume is going to increase where the peak will stay at wherever you have your threshold set to.
Thanks for helping out newbies =-)
1. Is it pretty common for newbies to over use compression?
2. Am I right to assume that increasing the average volume of a track or mix would make it sound 'bigger', but at the cost of some of the 'emotion' or 'feel' of the track or mix?
3. Does a compressor squash the entire wave form evenly or does it affect different frequencies to varying amounts? If so, are there compressors that allow one to specify which frequency/frequencies to compress as well as adjust the slope of the curve (not sure this is the right word but hopefully you know what I mean or can suggest a better term)?

Rodney
Old 15th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
Thanks for helping out newbies =-)
1. Is it pretty common for newbies to over use compression?
2. Am I right to assume that increasing the average volume of a track or mix would make it sound 'bigger', but at the cost of some of the 'emotion' or 'feel' of the track or mix?
3. Does a compressor squash the entire wave form evenly or does it affect different frequencies to varying amounts? If so, are there compressors that allow one to specify which frequency/frequencies to compress as well as adjust the slope of the curve (not sure this is the right word but hopefully you know what I mean or can suggest a better term)?

Rodney
I wouldn't try to respond to most of 1 and 2.
'3- A compressor responds to and attenuates the entire signal as 'one'. That response can be partly by way of it's frequency content -and by way of how the side chain is voiced to respond. But primarily it is a function of level.

A multi-band compressor lets us divide and set responses to a given frequency band -or bands.
Old 13th August 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

The actual theory of compression is really quite simple. The fact that different compressors affect the sound so differently is where people get confused without even realising is the issue.
📝 Reply