The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2014: Slate Digital Introduces The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 20th January 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

NAMM 2014: Slate Digital Introduces The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM

NAMM 2014: Slate Digital Introduces The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM-10553_full_2048x2048.jpg

Imagine having a microphone locker filled with the world's most classic vintage and modern microphones. Audition dozens of microphones on any source to find the perfect match. Then pair your microphone with the ideal microphone preamplifier to finalize the recording chain of your dreams. With the VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM from Slate Digital, it is now a reality.

Slate Digital will be showing off the VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM at NAMM 2014 by having an actual A/B of a famous vintage 47 microphone right alongside the new Slate VMS system for all trade-show visitors to hear for themselves! Visit booth #6921

Cheers,
Steven
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2014: Slate Digital Introduces The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM-10553_full_2048x2048.jpg   NAMM 2014: Slate Digital Introduces The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM-10553_full_2048x2048.jpg  
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Addict
And then wow.
Old 20th January 2014
Brb
Lives for gear

most innovative company in the game
Old 20th January 2014
Just release the Virtual Mix Brain right away
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds interesting. I'll be sure to pop over to listen. Finally, an alternative to the Antares mic modeler (haha).

What's the price when included with the ml1?

Does one get all the virtual mic modules?... or is this a thing where you buy a "u67 virtual" etc, ala carte? (nm, I see the video says optional expansion paks)

Is this shipping as of Namm next week?
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

pretty stinkin slick
Old 20th January 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Sounds interesting. I'll be sure to pop over to listen. Finally, an alternative to the Antares mic modeler (haha).

What's the price when included with the ml1?

Is the vms converter a required piece? (probably)

Does one get all the virtual mic modules?... or is this a thing where you buy a "u67 virtual" etc, ala carte?

All well and good to have modeled highend mics, but hey.... is there an sm7b hidden in there somewhere? Ribbons?
Hi guys. The initial package will be the dual preamp/converter, ML-1 large mic, and ML-2 small mic. Price is somewhere in 2k range.

It will ship with several classic models of large diaphragm mics for the ML-1, and tons of classic AND custom mics for the ML-2. We will absolutely have models of the mic you mention above as it is a personal favorite.

This is beyond exciting for us. We've been working extremely hard on this for so long, and as all the NAMM visitors are about to hear... the results are pretty insane. The 47 we will be A/Bing is one of the most characteristic that I've heard, and our ML-1 model absolutely nails it.

We also have several great preamp models, starting of course with two of the classics, the British 73 and the Tube 76.

So much more to say, but back to NAMM prep!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

all the best for your new tool, i'm almost sure already it will be great.

thanks again because the vcc i recently bought improved
my mixes / productions so much and in such a good way.

one of the best / most important best plug in investments ever for me.

GREAT JOB! THANK YOU!
Old 20th January 2014
Brace yourselves.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Steven ... The Steve Jobs of ITB recording, - keep it going. Innovation.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

This will be a long thread. Quickly.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

This reminds me of the Antares Mic Modeler Antares Vocal Processing > Products > Mic Mod EFX
I hope it will sound better though...
Old 20th January 2014
Here for the gear

To me, this represents everything good, perfect, and holy about the musician industry. And whether this turns out to be the greatest product ever, a clunker, or something in between - this proves that Steve Slate is the man. You can't watch that video and not be just flat footed with how much passion this guy brings into the market. A special day to have a special dream. "Skeptical? You should be. But look what I just did!" And then he goes and just jams out on his invention.

This is how man advanced. The guy with the first wheel? He had that same silly smirk on his face.

I tip my hat, and raise my glass to Steve Slate.
Old 20th January 2014
Here for the gear

Slate Virtual Microphones!

Thoughts ahoy!

More :

http://www.slatedigital.com/vmspreview/
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
This reminds me of the Antares Mic Modeler Antares Vocal Processing > Products > Mic Mod EFX
I hope it will sound better though...
Reminding ... yes but SLATE totally changes the game.
Clean and dedicated mics and preamps is what was missing (let alone much better modelling characteristics) and this combination seems really powerful.
I wish it came with 2 ML2's though for stereo recs.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Addict
Steven,

Does the preamp hardware itself change with the various models?

(ie, impedance, slew rate, what have you)

I've always thought this was a genius concept and all of the short comings of the numerous past attempts were obvious and not really totally insurmountable.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I love all slate products, but this one is going too far for me, i'm sure this is sounding really great
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have something similar on Nebula and would love to have the same thing with the convenience of Slate plugs. I can't wait to hear this.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

i'm banging my head to the wall,
this is some next level ting... wow
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Addict

This is like the wet dream of the Nebula guys they never could achieve. And Slate makes it with all the effenciency and bling bling all over it. You have to give it to him. He knows his game.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Unbelievable. Steven, you are monitoring not only my phone calls, but my dreams. This rules.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm going to need a while to digest this one. Not at all because of skepticism (rest assured, there will be TONS for this one), but because of the implications if this is actually a professional, usable tool. This is everything that made the UA Apollo interface innovative in the marketplace, taken to the nth degree. I can certainly see physical expansion packs as well. Maybe an 8 channel version that looks somewhat like an old UA 8110 for drum kit recording. Great platform for future expansion.

The Slate virtual "studio" is certainly growing. Having most of his tools in my arsenal already, I'm excited to hear about this one. Just need some time to digest. It's a lot to take in.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Head

Why do we love SS when he is so incredibly cheesy in front of a camera...
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Completely insane!
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
Reminding ... yes but SLATE totally changes the game.
Clean and dedicated mics and preamps is what was missing (let alone much better modelling characteristics) and this combination seems really powerful.
I wish it came with 2 ML2's though for stereo recs.
I'm sure you'll be able to purchase extra mics

If he can get this entire package on the market for around $2K, it will be a big seller.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

wait can i still use a real pre after this model mic?
Old 20th January 2014
F uck! Slate wants all my money!!!
Old 20th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
wait can i still use a real pre after this model mic?
I got the impression you will have to buy the mic pre/Convertor and mics along with the software.

Way too many unanswered questions at this point.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear
Oh Yes
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

People that hate Steven is going to hate him even more! This is the absolute future! This is one of the greatest concepts to modern music!!!

Steven knows I'm no fanboy of his products, VCC being the only product of his that I purchased. But this is simply brilliant!!!!
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear