The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia unveils AmpliTube 5
Old 29th October 2020
News Desk Editor

IK Multimedia unveils AmpliTube 5

IK Multimedia unveils AmpliTube 5 - a giant leap for 'ampkind'

IK's industry-leading guitar and bass tone studio takes a quantum leap into the future with a massive, out of this world, all-new update

October 29, 2020 - IK Multimedia's leading amp and effects modelling software takes a giant leap forward with the unveiling of AmpliTube 5. The AmpliTube series accurately captures the sound, feel and vibes of the world's most-sought after guitar and bass gear in a perfect format for practising, recording and performing anywhere. The new AmpliTube 5 offers a massive increase in gear, features and flexibility for an even more seamless and satisfying user experience, raising massively the bar of what can be expected from an amp simulator today.

It delivers 129 new gear models for a total of over 400 ultra-realistic models, a cutting-edge re-designed cabinet section with unique new VIR™ technology, and improved power amp / speaker cab interaction for dramatically improved sonic authenticity.

An all-new, resizeable interface makes creating and routing rigs a breeze, with improved gear selection, drag & drop placement, and support for one, two or three-amp rigs with up to 57 simultaneous effects.

New rack effects derived from IK's award-winning T-RackS 5 can easily craft professionally polished, "just like the album" tones, a new mixer window, AmpliTube's popular 8-channel DAW, an enhanced Looper with 2 simultaneous tracks and infinite layers of sound add even more sonic power in the studio or live.

AmpliTube 5 can work both as a desktop app and plug-in for any DAW, and it's available in four versions to suit every need - from the free AmpliTube 5 Custom Shop up through to AmpliTube 5 MAX, which offers full access to all current official artist and brand collections.

Nearly 20 years ago, IK introduced the original AmpliTube - the world's first guitar & bass amp and effects plug-in to model the entire guitar/bass chain from instrument to recording device in a hyper-realistic and intuitive way. Today, the diverse AmpliTube series includes collections created with renowned brands such as Fender®, MESA/Boogie® and Orange®, and iconic artists such as Joe Satriani, Brian May, Slash and many more.

What's New in AmpliTube 5

New cabinet section with VIR™ technology
A re-engineered Cabinet section features IK's new Volumetric Impulse Response (VIR™) technology. To deliver the highest standard of accuracy and realism, IK painstakingly measured 600 IRs per speaker of every existing and new cabinet model, for a total of 143,000 IRs. To perform this process, and for it to be of millimetric precision, IK developed a custom measurement system with dedicated robotic automation. The result is a massive, 3D array of mic placement options - each capturing the interactions between speakers, cabinet and floor - for a completely true-to-life sound that has never before been heard either in software or hardware emulation. All of this is available with a new 3D grid interface that allows users to snap the cabinet section's movable mics to a precise IR point or seamlessly blend between multiple measurements.

Furthermore, users can now import and load their own IRs and tweak them to find the perfect match for their desired tone.

New Gear
AmpliTube 5 offers the widest selection of sought-after guitar and bass amps, cabinets, speakers, stomps, mics and rack effects of any software, with more than 400 models (AmpliTube MAX version), including 129 newly created models.

All 100 cabinets have completely been re-measured with VIR™ technology; 19 new rack effects have been added, including a selection of models derived from T-RackS 5 and optimized for guitar; two new stomps and five new amps hand-picked from top-of the-line boutique models are now included and two new room emulations that provide even more creative ambient scenarios are available in AmpliTube 5.

Plus AmpliTube 5 revisits all of the original AmpliTube legacy gear, adding a fresh new look, optimized internal gain structure and re-developed power amp/speaker interaction to maximize realism and tone feel.

New GUI
Both existing and new users will enjoy an all-new, now fully scalable GUI, to conveniently adapt to any display size including the latest Retina displays, featuring an updated ergonomic layout and new level of realism.

Freely configurable signal chain
Beyond mono and stereo, the new, completely customizable gear chain now supports wet-dry-wet configurations and other advanced series and parallel routing.

The overall chain has been greatly expanded to support up to 57 simultaneous models divided between stomps, racks, amps and cabs. Users can easily drag and drop any model into place from a sidebar gear browser, to build or re-order even complex rigs in seconds.

New Mixer
A new Mixer window in the studio section complements AmpliTube 5's expanded signal chain options and 8-track DAW. It allows users to blend their cabinet and microphone sounds, plus the DI signal, and make use of panning, levels, busses and 19 built-in effects with a selection derived from T-RackS 5 to bring a final studio polish to any track.

New redesigned Custom Shop
The AmpliTube Custom Shop offers an affordable and easy way to demo and build a custom gear collection à la carte. AmpliTube 5 features a totally redesigned Custom Shop with a modern, easy-to-navigate interface, helping users demo and unlock gear faster, sort by gear they own or don't own, unlock preset-specific gear, and more.

Best guitar tone in the studio and live
AmpliTube 5 connects seamlessly with AXE I/O, recognized as the best guitar interface on the market by the world's top guitar publications and media, as well as with AXE I/O Solo, the compact version of IK's premium audio interface with powerful guitar shaping tools.

Options, pricing and availability
AmpliTube 5 (for Mac/PC) will be available in Q4 2020 and is currently available for pre-order from the IK Multimedia online store and from IK authorized dealers worldwide, with special introductory pricing:
  • AmpliTube 5 CS free
  • AmpliTube 5 SE $/€99.99* intro price (regular price will be $/€149.99)
  • AmpliTube 5 $/€149.99** - $/€199.99 intro price (regular price will be $/€299.99)
  • AmpliTube 5 MAX $/€299.99** - $/€399.99 intro price (regular price will be $/€599.99)

For customers wanting the best of both hardware/software worlds, AmpliTube 5 will also be available bundled with IK's premium guitar interfaces.
  • AXE I/O + AmpliTube 5 MAX $/€399.99
  • AXE I/O SOLO + AmpliTube 5 $/€299.99

*All prices excluding taxes
** Upgrade/Crossgrade prices for IK users who have registered any IK products worth $/€99.99 or more

In addition, any customer who purchases AmpliTube 4 or any IK hardware package that includes AmpliTube 4 after October 15, 2020, will automatically receive an upgrade to AmpliTube 5 SE.

For more information about AmpliTube 5, please visit: www.amplitube.com/5

To see AmpliTube 5 in action: www.amplitube.com/5/video
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils AmpliTube 5-unnamed-2020-10-29t105433.052.jpg  
Old 29th October 2020
Gear Nut

The upgrade pricing is very disrespectful towards loyal customers who already own Amplitube 4 incl. lots of modules.
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah I think I’ll stick with four
Old 29th October 2020
Gear Nut

-I see no mention anywhere of the ultratuner...has it had any improvements? I´d kill for the option of being able to zoom in the pitch graph (-40 to +40ct is just too much)

-Have ALL cabs been reshooted? including the expansions like ampeg svx or fender? Im actually more excited for a full 3D cab sim of the bass cabs than anything else.

-Have the "new" amp expansions like brian may or joe satriani been redesigned in any way?
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

I honestly assumed the upgrade pricing for v4 max owners was a mistake. It looks like the upgrade price is the same as the introduction price to someone who doesn’t own any Amplitube products??

can anyone from IK offer any clarity on what custom shop purchases will carry over with the free version of AT5?
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

I wish they came out with a virtual physical modeling guitar instrument instead of yet another version of AmpliTube.

I also wish they would update Modo Bass and Drums with more and better sounds and make them much more resource friendly on the CPU. Especially Modo Drums is a CPU hog on 96K sessions in Pro Tools 2020 on Windows 10 Home.

I do however wonder if Amplitube 5 is noticable more realistic soounding compared Amplibube 4.
Old 29th October 2020
Gear Addict

Amplitube 5 MAX --> $600

Amplitube 5 MAX + hardware interface --> $400

Well-thought-out pricing structure, as usual
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

Looks great! I'd love to have a better understanding of the upgrade, though.

I have Amplitube 4 MAX and several additional collections - do my bundles transfer over with all the sound improvements no matter which version of 5 I get? Since I already own most of the extra gear, is 5 Standard my best option for getting the new stomps and amps? The upgrade to 5 Max is pretty expensive considering what I already own.

If I own a Cab from 4 MAX that isn't included in 5 SE or Standard, does it just use the previous cab without the new VIR? I only get the new measurements if the cab is included in whatever new Amplitube 5 version I buy?
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

I'm finding I'm using s-gear more than IK....
Old 29th October 2020
Gear Nut

I can't stand S-gear…
Old 29th October 2020
Was waiting to upgrade v4 to v5, but now I think I will upgrade my TH3 to THU instead and wait for a better opportunity.
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

So I have Amplitube 4 Max and all the amps like Brain May etc....Will I be able to update my GUI to version 5 and still use the all the amps I paid for?

Says existing users will get the new gui, so maybe all the amps you have bought etc...will have updates available for them ?

we need ikmulitmedia to confirm
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Amplitube 5 MAX --> $600

Amplitube 5 MAX + hardware interface --> $400

Well-thought-out pricing structure, as usual
The interface is so bad that they have to pay you $200 to take it.
Old 29th October 2020
Gear Addict
Don't own amplitube so I'm curious. it sounds like there are in-app purchase for a lack of a better word. What actually comes with it? I see the $99 intro price. Is that a basic version without particular amps/cabs? Just trying to rap my head around what one actually gets.

Ok, I found this
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...php?p=versions
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Don't own amplitube so I'm curious. it sounds like there are in-app purchase for a lack of a better word. What actually comes with it? I see the $99 intro price. Is that a basic version without particular amps/cabs? Just trying to rap my head around what one actually gets.

Ok, I found this
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...php?p=versions
Scroll down on the info page, where you see pre-order section under the red there is yellow "gear included" links (to a pdf list)
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
The upgrade pricing is very disrespectful towards loyal customers who already own Amplitube 4 incl. lots of modules.
Max 5 now includes Dimebag Darrell CFH, Brian May and Joe Satriani, so for the same price as buying those three add-ons you can now upgrade to the full Amplitube 5 Max and also have all your previous gear upgraded, plus get the new Diezel / PRS Archon / Sansamp, their 1176 / LA2A / 670 compressors, etc.

But that pricing still stings a lot. The full NI Guitar Rig Pro 6 upgrade is only $99 US in comparison to the $349US upgrade for Amplitube 5 Max. And IK's messaging on the upgrade path is just really unclear right now.

Was looking forward to this one, but now I'm just confused.
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

When is this actually going to be RELEASED? As if longer than 2 weeks away it should not be posted here on GS. If more than 2 weeks away IK should not be able to post another thread when it is released here as this is just marketing for the sake of free marketing.

BTW I own Amplitube 4 MAX and have been waiting for this update for ages because of the awful GUI on 4. Find the MAX Upgrade path a joke tbh. Get Neural DSP at moment for around £50 so not very competitive imo.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder View Post
Max 5 now includes Dimebag Darrell CFH, Brian May and Joe Satriani, so for the same price as buying those three add-ons you can now upgrade to the full Amplitube 5 Max and also have all your previous gear upgraded, plus get the new Diezel / PRS Archon / Sansamp, their 1176 / LA2A / 670 compressors, etc.

But that pricing still stings a lot. The full NI Guitar Rig Pro 6 upgrade is only $99 US in comparison to the $349US upgrade for Amplitube 5 Max. And IK's messaging on the upgrade path is just really unclear right now.

Was looking forward to this one, but now I'm just confused.
I have Dimebag and Brian May already with my Amplitube 4 Max...

Is it just a question of you get Amp 5 for free and all the new stuff That you don’t already have is just not included...?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
I have Dimebag and Brian May already with my Amplitube 4 Max...

Is it just a question of you get Amp 5 for free and all the new stuff That you don’t already have is just not included...?
From my experience of going from 3 to 4 (albeit not the full version of either) everything is carried over. Although when 4 first came out, the cab room stuff was locked behind a paid version, so while we're not necessarily going to automatically get all the benefits of the new version for free, I highly doubt we'll lose anything we already have.
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

From Support

“Thanks for your patience while we got back to you.

Just like in the previous version, All your AmpliTube 4 gear will unlock in AmpliTube 5.”
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
Is the upgrade pricing from AT4 max to 5 max REALLY €300?!

Would the v4 custom shop add on’s carry over to the free version of v5, and all we’d miss are the additional add on’s (leslie/satriani/may/CFH etc), 5 new amps/fx?

trying to work out the value in paying 3/4 of the full price to upgrade when one already owns over 3/4 of the content?

Also, Im definitely not brave enough to preorder blind here; a lot hinges on this new method of capturing cabinet impulses being good. There's so many variables and compromises to choose in capturing speaker impulses. I'm happy to see them mentioning focussing on the interaction between power amp and cabs; amplitube seems a perfect contender to model the negative feedback/impedance behaviours of how different speakers+cabs affect how an amp sounds.
Pre-ordering software is an utter joke lol. Like they have a limited number that will run out if you don't order early. Pathetic this kind of thing for software. They just want free hype BS and it shouldn't be posted until released or very near to release.
Deleted 222f60c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Pre-ordering software is an utter joke lol. Like they have a limited number that will run out if you don't order early. Pathetic this kind of thing for software. They just want free hype BS and it shouldn't be posted until released or very near to release.
Well, people do it with albums, I don't see why not with plugins.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 222f60c View Post
Well, people do it with albums, I don't see why not with plugins.
I can understand that for smaller artists to financially support them for for big artists/companies it's just folly lol.
Old 29th October 2020
Gear Nut

So then, it's not disrespectful at all towards loyal customers (like said up top). It sounds like AT5 has a whole new IR engine, so here's to hoping that the cabinets we bought in AT4 will be upgraded to the AT5 versions, which are apparently redone.

Paging @ Peter - IK if you can provide further clarification. Going through the different version lists, I notice a *lot* of overlap between what I've already got and what's offered in the "Amplitube 5" edition.
Old 29th October 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
Hi Peter, will the new IR tech in the free Amplitube 5 still apply to all the cabs I already own?
Yes. All of the cabinets have been redone and your existing gear will work in AmpliTube 5 as stated on the Specs page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
OMG, the upgrade prices for people already owning a lot of Amplitube 4 models and IK Multimedia software is very disrespectful IMO!
How so? All of your current gear will work so you're not rebuying anything. If you don't have the seven collections that are not in AmpliTube 4 MAX you'll get them for a steal. See the math I posted on our forum already: "If you are missing those [collections released after AT4 MAX and upgraded to AmpliTube 5 MAX], you'd be getting Fender Collection 2, AmpliTube SVX 2, AmpliTube Brian May, Dimebag Darrell CFH Collection, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, Fulltone Collection, and AmpliTube Leslie for about $43 a piece. Not to mention ALL of the new features in AmpliTube 5 (and they're amazing) PLUS the new gear in AmpliTube 5 (also amazing)."

Sounds pretty darn respectful to me. Take another 30% off with JamPoints accrued from your previous purchases and that's a tip of the ol' cap for a touch of additional respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflt View Post
and will the older purchased collections/gear work in the new amplitube 5 cs?
Yes see above. But for full features and more gear, you'd want to consider upgrading to AmpliTube 5 SE or AmpliTube 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc4rter View Post
Hmmm! Upgrade price seems a bit of a joke. I own Amplitude 4 Max and I'm expected to pay like 360 Euros for the upgrade? Think I'll wait until they are forced to bring that down to a price that I'll give some consideration to.
See above. Joke's on us giving those collections for such a low price. It's almost like Black Friday is already here. We weren't forced to give you that great deal on the seven new collections, so you don't have to wait. Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
Is the upgrade pricing from AT4 max to 5 max REALLY €300?!

Would the v4 custom shop add on’s carry over to the free version of v5, and all we’d miss are the additional add on’s (leslie/satriani/may/CFH etc), 5 new amps/fx?

trying to work out the value in paying 3/4 of the full price to upgrade when one already owns over 3/4 of the content?.
See above. I did the math for you. If you have all or most of the AmpliTube 5 MAX gear great news - you only would need to upgrade to AmpliTube 5 or AmpliTube 5 SE and use what you already have.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
-I see no mention anywhere of the ultratuner...has it had any improvements? I´d kill for the option of being able to zoom in the pitch graph (-40 to +40ct is just too much)

-Have ALL cabs been reshooted? including the expansions like ampeg svx or fender? Im actually more excited for a full 3D cab sim of the bass cabs than anything else.

-Have the "new" amp expansions like brian may or joe satriani been redesigned in any way?
There hasn't been news of an update to UltraTuner at this time, sorry.

All of the cabs are redone per the AmpliTube 5 web page and news, yes.

All of the legacy gear was reworked but the recent collections will benefit from the above work on their (and all the other) cabinets.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
The interface is so bad that they have to pay you $200 to take it.
I don't think you've been paying attention to the reviews (both media and users) nor have you tried AXE I/O if you make a statement like that (and multiple people actually back/like such a ridiculous and naive statement).
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koitsu View Post
So then, it's not disrespectful at all towards loyal customers (like said up top). It sounds like AT5 has a whole new IR engine, so here's to hoping that the cabinets we bought in AT4 will be upgraded to the AT5 versions, which are apparently redone.

Paging @ Peter - IK if you can provide further clarification. Going through the different version lists, I notice a *lot* of overlap between what I've already got and what's offered in the "Amplitube 5" edition.
Correct, I addressed the "disrespectful" misunderstanding in another thread here and on the IK Forum. Your existing gear will work in AmpliTube 5 so if you have AmpliTube 4 MAX and the collections released after that, you would only need to upgrade to AmpliTube 5. You'd have it all and have it working inside AmpliTube 5.

If you are missing those subsequent collections and upgraded to AmpliTube 5 MAX, you'd be getting Fender Collection 2, AmpliTube SVX 2, AmpliTube Brian May, Dimebag Darrell CFH Collection, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, Fulltone Collection, and AmpliTube Leslie for about $43 a piece. Not to mention ALL of the new features in AmpliTube 5 (and they're amazing) PLUS the new gear in AmpliTube 5 (also amazing).
Old 29th October 2020
Company Rep

I see my properly-spelled/capitalized "AmpliTube" mentions are autoreplaced incorrectly. If I have time I'll go back and fix those, if mods are watching please note that the forum is replacing a correct product name with an incorrect one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Your existing gear will work in AmpliTube 5 so if you have AmpliTube 4 MAX and the collections released after that, you would only need to upgrade to AmpliTube 5. You'd have it all and have it working inside AmpliTube 5.
So I just need to install the Free Amplitube 5 CS and the just use all my gear ?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear