The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RCA 44-A replica
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

RCA 44-A replica

Hello everyone,

I am about to make some replicas of the RCA 44-A ribbon microphone;

Everything is made by hand or machined here in Bangkok Thailand using no products from china, all transformers are hand wound and tested to make sure it is exactly same as the ones RCA used. All the parts are machined using CNC and laser cutting and the ribbon is the same thickness/size.

I am thinking about selling them at a affordable price 350usd for a basic one and 400-450 usd for a one with custom colors or designs.

This is a great mic for people who want to use a great quality ribbon microphone at an affordable price point.

Anyone interested? Any questions you can send me an email at [email protected]

PS.
The reason I started making these mics is because when I started building my studio I wanted a good quality ribbon microphone like a RCA44 or RCA77 or a replica of it from AEA; but they were all out of my price range. So I want to make a great quality ribbon mic for everyone.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

great idea!
do you have a working prototype?
sound samples?
pics?
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Got around 2 working prototypes, will have sound samples soon.

Iโ€™ll be sure to post some photos soon

๐Ÿ˜Š
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerSunday View Post
all transformers are hand wound and tested to make sure it is exactly same as the ones RCA used.
I'd think you can't use some of the materials used originally on the original RCA iron due to new environmental rules, etc? Is that not the case? Can you go a little deeper in terms of what you're using vs. what was used back then considering what you're claiming?

I'm also wondering how you're getting to those prices. Machining and coming up with a custom cast for the yoke alone, plus producing it, would be about 50% of the 350$ you mentioned if you're outsourcing, maybe a little lower outside of Europe but...

Anyway, i'm interested, but would really like to know more about your process and how much of a clone these really are.
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

I try to make it as original as possible,

Of course there are some materials I need to substitute like the material for the body and the magnets, but all the technical things like transformer ratio, ribbon thickness and width etc., are same as the original. You can expect a ribbon microphone that sounds just like the original if not better
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

My aim make it affordable for everyone therefore I am selling it at a price where I am not making a lot of profit. I rather have a lot of people use my product rather then have a handful high end studios.

The transformers and many elements of the microphone are made from NOS material my father, grandfather has collected through the years; as their shop used to sell and fix amplifiers radios and other audio equipment.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

This sounds awesome, post more info and pic please! I love my PB-90, it would be awesome to see someone focus on the original A model.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
My aim make it affordable for everyone therefore I am selling it at a price where I am not making a lot of profit. I rather have a lot of people use my product rather then have a handful high end studios.

The transformers and many elements of the microphone are made from NOS material my father, grandfather has collected through the years; as their shop used to sell and fix amplifiers radios and other audio equipment.
That's great. Please do let us know more when you're ready. Are you doing 77s as well? If so, which model?
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Iโ€™m in
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

A 77 replica will be shortly available after I realease the 44-A . Although I will not make a replica of the 77-A but of a later model as I think it looks and sound better.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
A 77 replica will be shortly available after I realease the 44-A . Although I will not make a replica of the 77-A but of a later model as I think it looks and sound better.
The DX?
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
The DX?
Possibly
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Sawadheekap.

Iโ€™m interested as well.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head

Iโ€™m in!
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Sign me up!
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Maniac

i may be down for a pair as well! do keep us all posted!
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Will follow and watch this. Good luck. That's one microphone they've never quite been able to match. AEA or anyone really.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Very much interested! Curious for photo's and sound samples.
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Maniac

Townsend sphere has a good rca 44 preset.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Theyโ€™re almost done everybody, turns out the hardest part is the yoke not the mic itself!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any updates or pictures?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Not yet, I do have a few sound samples though, if any wants it please email me,

[email protected]

COVID really is slowing everything down,

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not yet, I do have a few sound samples though, if any wants it please email me,

[email protected]

COVID really is slowing everything down,

Sent you an email!
Old 2 weeks ago
500 series nutjob

pictures pictures pictures
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The reasons there are no photos yet is because I am experimenting with using different methods and technology to make it as affordable as possible, I think I will settle with metal 3d printing. Also note that the parts will not be interchangeable( because of copyright)
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear