The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MADI Interface -- A New Kickstarter Project
Old 12th February 2020
Here for the gear

MADI Interface -- A New Kickstarter Project

If you are interested in pro-audio MADI interfaces, check out this low cost USB to MADI interface.

It's bus powered and supports 32-channels and 48kHz sample rate.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...madi-interface

There's a web page as well:

https://jallard7.wixsite.com/usbmadi
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

not into kickstarter or anything alike but would buy an interface or two if available...

...as a cheapo alternative to my rme madiface xt and madiface usb, to be used for smaller gigs.

would prefer a version with optical i/o's though.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Some thoughts:

MADI is mostly used in a professional context (large channel count, critical applications, stability as a profound criteria).
  • Mini-USB-connector => not very secure, could easily slip out
  • 32 channels instead of 64 possible channels
  • unknown driver quality & latency
  • unknown support

So well, I'm quite sceptical about it. In a professional context price is not the most important feature.
Old 24th February 2020
Here for the gear

One reason MADI is mostly used in a professional, price-is-no-object environments is because there's currently very few (if any) low-cost, feature-scaled solutions available.

The purpose of this Kickstarter product is to offer an alternative to the full-featured, "mission critical," large channel count, costly MADI products out there.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

ähm, madi has long been implemented in mi-gear and no longer is just about high-end broadcasting...

btw: what happens with additional data when feeding into these devices? does midi-over-madi and control data (used for remote control of preamps) get put through? is it possible to run two devices for a full madi stream? or to select banks of say 8 channels to be recorded?
Old 25th February 2020
Here for the gear

There's no support for sending MIDI or control data. It's possible to run multiple devices to get more channels, but the software (DAW) would need to support multiple devices. Something like the Core Audio aggregator could be used on the Mac.

Any number and combination of channels can be recorded (up to 32) by selecting them in the host software. The unused channels will be ignored.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jea View Post
There's no support for sending MIDI or control data. It's possible to run multiple devices to get more channels, but the software (DAW) would need to support multiple devices. Something like the Core Audio aggregator could be used on the Mac.

Any number and combination of channels can be recorded (up to 32) by selecting them in the host software. The unused channels will be ignored.
thx - maybe i wasn't clear enough regarding midi or control data: can the devices get used between a stagebox and a mixing desk or does the embedded data (which is used to control the gain on the remote preamps) get blocked or lost?
Old 25th February 2020
Here for the gear

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. These devices are for connecting a computer to a MADI device. This could be a MADI connection on a mixing board, effects processor or multi-track recorder, or another MADI interface to a computer. It's basically a computer audio interface.

So this wouldn't be something used to connect a stage box to a mixer.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jea View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. These devices are for connecting a computer to a MADI device. This could be a MADI connection on a mixing board, effects processor or multi-track recorder, or another MADI interface to a computer. It's basically a computer audio interface.

So this wouldn't be something used to connect a stage box to a mixer.
hm... - these stageboxes are madi devices just as any other devices! i'm talking about the digico sd-racks, soundcraft compact stageboxes, studer d21m/d23m i/o systems, stagetec nexus/truematch systems, lawo dallis etc.: they all use the additional bandwith within the madi protocol to transfer control data between different devices of a madi network - data can be gain settings, hpf filter settings but also gpio control or midi-over-madi.

now some madi gear (most any devices from rme) can be inserted at any place within such a madi/data network and do not affect/corrupt/block additional data while some other madi gear cannot be used in such an environnent.

i was wondering what happens when using your gear - no worries if you do not know or care. regarding the latter, i suspect though that many engineers from the broadcast world would be interested in getting an inexpensive interface, provided that it doesn't mess with the other gear (so you'd be missing out on a potential clientele if your gear would not be suitable for use in high-profile environments - for the same reason, i was suggesting to offer a version with optical i/o's, suitable for duocon on sc to be precise)...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 26th February 2020 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

Oh, I see. I'm not sure. I'm familiar with MADI stage boxes and mixers, but I wasn't aware of these "insertable" devices. I'll have to look into this.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

these devices could be format converters, madi routers, splitters, hd-recorders - or your interface!

[for instance, i'm using a lake speaker processor on the way out, between my studer desk and stagebox, inserted via a rme adi-642 madi/aes converter - or a madi splitter and a rme madiface xt on the way in, between the stagebox and desk]
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If you can get RME to do the drivers, I'm in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search