Old 16th October 2019
New UA Apollo Desktop Teased!

https://www.uaudio.com/live
Attached Thumbnails
New UA Apollo Desktop Teased!-screenshot_20191017-005053-2.jpg  
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

oh fiddlesticks I just bought a mk2...

I guess this will be TB3 only like the Arrow?
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Well, the rackmount TB3 interfaces are backwards compatible, so hopefully these will be as well...that would make sense, especially for multi-Apollo setups.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
oh fiddlesticks I just bought a mk2...

I guess this will be TB3 only like the Arrow?
The Arrow is TB3 only since it needs the bus power. I doubt the new Twin will be bus powered so I'm pretty sure it will be backwards compatible.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

It's interesting that they have removed so many buttons and the right side of the LED panel. Makes me wonder if they have replaced it with an LCD. Perhaps touch enabled? It would make sense since it's so even to the rest of the surface.
Or did they edit out the right side to hide new features?

The new knob looks a lot more solid than the old ones!
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

I hope it has 4 built in pres. I also hope it is USB compatible. I'd like it to have TB for everything but work on USB with less functionality that way like a surface pro could be paired up with it also at any time.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
It's interesting that they have removed so many buttons and the right side of the LED panel. Makes me wonder if they have replaced it with an LCD. Perhaps touch enabled? It would make sense since it's so even to the rest of the surface.
Or did they edit out the right side to hide new features?

The new knob looks a lot more solid than the old ones!
The unit on the left could be a Twin´s bigger brother with six DSPs I think.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Nut

If it doesn't have 2 headphone outputs and ADAT out, I'll pass.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Nut

I'm so sick of teases. Just announce your damn product!
Old 17th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
The unit on the left could be a Twin´s bigger brother with six DSPs I think.
Quad Twin was a hot as hell. And can’t imagine how how would be a Six core Twin
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
Quad Twin was a hot as hell. And can’t imagine how how would be a Six core Twin
Heat should be manageable in a larger case, where the rotary controller sits on the right with other controls not showing up yet.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

This is what I’ve been waiting on for many years. I knew it would be this year’s AES. PLEASE have two line inputs. If so you could run a hardware chain without coming back through the preamps or at least plug in one measly stereo synth or sampler.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

UA is not at AES, just saying. Nevertheless, it's great to see UA pushing the standards.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
UA is not at AES, just saying. Nevertheless, it's great to see UA pushing the standards.
Well, similar timing regardless.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

I think it's two units on the photo. The one on the right is the normal Twin. The one on the left has no knobs nor display. Don't know what that might be.
Old 17th October 2019
Really curios about this . I wish for 2 ports TB3, 4/in/out , clickable BIG nob and 2 headphone outs ....just like Arturia . Anyway that is the direction of the new desktop interfaces for 2019 ...
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabuna View Post
Really curios about this . I wish for 2 ports TB3, 4/in/out , clickable BIG nob and 2 headphone outs ....just like Arturia . Anyway that is the direction of the new desktop interfaces for 2019 ...
I hope so. The issue with UA is they are a lot like Apple. They aren't going to give you everything you want with The Twin otherwise you won't buy the rack units. Though i wouldn't buy a rack unit regardless - I would pay 3K for a crazy insane desktop unit but never buy the rack even for $500. I don't have nor want a 19" rack these days.

2 headphone outs should definitely be included since people with the Twin are typically not going to have a vocal booth, so the people singing and he engineer are going to be sitting in one room together. This necessitates 2 headphone jacks.

Also, you should be able to plug in at least one synth or run a hardware master bus loop with 2 line inputs without disturbing the DI and mic inputs. I want a 4 slot 500 series rack on my desktop with a mix bus compressor and EQ so badly but I cant with the Twin. JUST TWO LINE INPUTS PLEASE!
Old 17th October 2019
gti
Gear Head
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e%3Dpt004dutch

Looks like the Twin gets just TB3 and improved AD/DA, otherwise identical.
Old 17th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti View Post

Uff if that is true then I will probably go for Arturia Studio https://www.arturia.com/products/aud...tudio/overview.

Such a bummer, they advertised this like something really exciting would happen. I guess not. Is just a connection upgrade and a bump in specs . The specs do not really impresses me anymore.
Old 17th October 2019
gti
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabuna View Post
Uff if that is true then I will probably go for Arturia Studio https://www.arturia.com/products/aud...tudio/overview.

Such a bummer, they advertised this like something really exciting would happen. I guess not. Is just a connection upgrade and a bump in specs . The specs do not really impresses me anymore.
You'll want to compare it to this one then:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...o-twin-x4.html
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Sad if that's true. I wonder why the pics in the teaser don't correspond with the actual unit though. To cause speculation? Or is there another desktop unit coming up?

This would be the perfect time for UA to step it up a notch. They are sitting on a goldmine of potential innovations and they seem to just let it pass them by.

Put an ARM chip, Wifi/BT and some flash into that thing to make it self contained and you'll have something that once again can put them above the competition and break into entirely new markets.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You'll want to compare it to this one then:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...o-twin-x4.html
Now that's certainly a whole lot more interesting! Nothing groundbreaking but certainly something that has been missing. Been eyeing the rack units but thought they were a bit much for my needs and the Twin Duo is a bit too limiting. This is the sweetspot! And the price is in the right spot as well.
Old 17th October 2019
Are these renders of the product ? or the real stuff. ! I like what I see, maybe a little high on price, but still very good set of connectivity

Last edited by mamabuna; 17th October 2019 at 08:14 PM..
Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear

Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

I like the new X4, but I wished the Twin was upgraded to some new features, like the ADAT Out and 2 headphones.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

UA sure tried to put a lid on that one quickly. I thought leaks were better for marketing than teasers.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

The price on the leaked site for the Twin x4 is too high for a Quad at the moment if you live in Europe. Would rather get the Apollo x6 with the free Satellite right now.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The price on the leaked site for the Twin x4 is too high for a Quad at the moment if you live in Europe. Would rather get the Apollo x6 with the free Satellite right now.
The x6 is €400 more. Has two more DSP chips but only two mic pres. Not sure if it's priced that badly.
Of course, if you take the free satellite into the equation it changes things, but that's only a temporary promotion.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
The x6 is €400 more. Has two more DSP chips but only two mic pres. Not sure if it's priced that badly.
Of course, if you take the free satellite into the equation it changes things, but that's only a temporary promotion.
1799€ is a test run if you ask me to see what we think about the price. I predict UA is not going to sell many X4s at 1799€ regular as tight as money is today.
I would have insisted on a second TB port on the Twins if UA asked me.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
1799€ is a test run if you ask me to see what we think about the price. I predict UA is not going to sell many X4s at 1799€ regular as tight as money is today.
I would have insisted on a second TB port on the Twins if UA asked me.
It was not a test run. UA didn't deliberately leak this. It was the pricing given to the dealers. And sure it might change in the future but I'm certain that it's the MSRP. Given the pricing of the rest of the lineup it seems reasonable.

Now I hope as much as anyone that they bring down their prices a bit. The premium they charge for the extra DSP for example is out of proportion. The fact that their margins are good enough to give away free satellites is quite telling.

I hear you about the extra TB port. It doesn't bother me personally but I can see several scenarios where it wouldn't be ideal to have it as an end-of-chain device. Having rack Apollos in the tracking room and desktop Apollo in the control room is an obvious one.

I have to admit though that I'm pretty excited about the X4. It solves most of the limitations I have with my Twin. And although I'd prefer more DSP (especially for the money), it's still a step up from my Duo, which is seriously limiting for my use. Glad I didn't go for the Twin Quad or one of the rack units.
I'll be saving up for this one for sure.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search