The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New UA Apollo Desktop Teased!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
It was not a test run. UA didn't deliberately leak this. It was the pricing given to the dealers. And sure it might change in the future but I'm certain that it's the MSRP. Given the pricing of the rest of the lineup it seems reasonable.

Now I hope as much as anyone that they bring down their prices a bit. The premium they charge for the extra DSP for example is out of proportion. The fact that their margins are good enough to give away free satellites is quite telling.

I hear you about the extra TB port. It doesn't bother me personally but I can see several scenarios where it wouldn't be ideal to have it as an end-of-chain device. Having rack Apollos in the tracking room and desktop Apollo in the control room is an obvious one.

I have to admit though that I'm pretty excited about the X4. It solves most of the limitations I have with my Twin. And although I'd prefer more DSP (especially for the money), it's still a step up from my Duo, which is seriously limiting for my use. Glad I didn't go for the Twin Quad or one of the rack units.
I'll be saving up for this one for sure.
I would have preferred to be able to keep my Twin and chain it with the new ones. At least with the X4. And carry both for mobile sessions if need be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

It better be able to "SIDE-CHAIN" this time with all those compressors and asking prices!

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Right now Apollo Twin MKII Quad is 1199 euro at Thomann. And x6 is 2199 euro.

How could the new version be only 899 euro (as in the "leaked" link)?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbe View Post
Right now Apollo Twin MKII Quad is 1199 euro at Thomann. And x6 is 2199 euro.

How could the new version be only 899 euro (as in the "leaked" link)?
Because it's a Duo?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Because it's a Duo?
Hmm good point I just read QUAD but the text were covering both versions. If the new DUO is 899e I would consider it a good value.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The prices don´t see right to me on the leaked link. Let´s wait what the prices will be tomorow after the official release.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

hopefully the line inputs bypass the pres this time around like the rack units
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
The unit on the left could be a Twin´s bigger brother with six DSPs I think.
It could be. Or, it could be the new arrow. I think yesterday the UA Facebook page put out a pic of a twin and an arrow in reference to tomorrow's release. But who knows? You might be right and there will be a new interface to occupy the place between the twin and rack-mount Apollos.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
It could be. Or, it could be the new arrow. I think yesterday the UA Facebook page put out a pic of a twin and an arrow in reference to tomorrow's release. But who knows? You might be right and there will be a new interface to occupy the place between the twin and rack-mount Apollos.
Well we do know, as it has been leaked several days ago. It is a larger desktop interface called Apollo X4 with 4 pres, 6 outputs, dual headphone/hi-z and ADAT I/O.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well we do know, as it has been leaked several days ago. It is a larger desktop interface called Apollo X4 with 4 pres, 6 outputs, dual headphone/hi-z and ADAT I/O.
Whoa! I was not aware. Do you have a link?

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both are available on sweetwater and reverb now
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hey everyone, you can check out our new Universal Audio Apollo Twin X and Apollo x4 demo videos below:

https://youtu.be/IsaUM0gGPtE
https://youtu.be/502ZtUGLJ0M
https://youtu.be/e6FH4Fy2iGA
Old 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately you can't bypass the stage gain on the [email protected] $1800 with no clean line input :(
Attached Thumbnails
New UA Apollo Desktop Teased!-apollo-x4.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The UA Live event is today covering the new Apollos with "live production tips and tutorials from Vance Powell, Vulfpeck guitarist Cory Wong, Andrew Huang and Reid Stefan, and more": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9CDka9Riyo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabuna View Post
Unfortunately you can't bypass the stage gain on the [email protected] $1800 with no clean line input :(
When I did this on the twin, it didn't seem to have any discernible difference. I agree, for $1800 they should've added this option, but I don't know how much engineering that takes. To me, it's not a deal breaker and isn't noticeable. YMMV
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I did this on the twin, it didn't seem to have any discernible difference. I agree, for $1800 they should've added this option, but I don't know how much engineering that takes. To me, it's not a deal breaker and isn't noticeable. YMMV
I tried this with my AEA R88 cranked through a TRP preamp. I didn't notice a difference between going into the Apollo Preamp at line level and going into one of the non unison inputs. No extra noise or sonic differences as far as I could hear. That's good enough for me as it's about the only conceivable real life instance I might worry.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had the live feed on in the background waiting for this. UA just said they are using a different clock in the desktop units than the racks, which is unfortunate in my opinion. I was looking at adding the X4 to utilize the new clocking, but that's giving me something else to consider at this point.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The X4 is really interesting! If i buy it I may be using it to sum 12 channels analog. 8 adat plus the four line outs. Just a little worried about delay between the two different converting methods.

Any thoughts?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpipes View Post
The X4 is really interesting! If i buy it I may be using it to sum 12 channels analog. 8 adat plus the four line outs. Just a little worried about delay between the two different converting methods.

Any thoughts?
It’s cool if you need to free up rack space when traveling and have a hard suitcase to put the x4 inside. It’s good for the desktop form factor.

However, If you can go rack size, then you could buy a used x6 for less than a new x4 and get two more line inputs, two more line outputs, spdif, and world clock in/out. WC would eliminate sync delay/problems. You would also get more DSP
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Even a “demo” unit of an x6 from Sweetwater is about $1975. For not too much more $ than an x4 you get a lot more bang for the buck
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
It’s cool if you need to free up rack space when traveling and have a hard suitcase to put the x4 inside. It’s good for the desktop form factor.

However, If you can go rack size, then you could buy a used x6 for less than a new x4 and get two more line inputs, two more line outputs, spdif, and world clock in/out. WC would eliminate sync delay/problems. You would also get more DSP
Going rack size i may just go for the x16 instead, its probably better. Then i could analog sum 16 channels. The apollo 16 would go in a "portable" rack with headphone amp and mic pres. And in the mix room I will just hook up it too summing i guess.

decisions, decisions...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Price should be $1000 max.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Price should be $1000 max.
The x4 does seem a bit expensive. Considering the price of a quad satellite and the twin quad, I’d say $1499 would be a better price and the twin x should still be $1299. I guess they still have a lot of twin MkII’s to move.

Prices will come down in a year or two like the twin mkII quad dropped $100 last year.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Two questions. Sorry if they have been answered, but I couldn’t watch the live launch.

Do the x4 and twin share the same converters for both AD and DA?

Is the only upgrade from twin quad to twin x the conversion?
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Two questions. Sorry if they have been answered, but I couldn’t watch the live launch.

Do the x4 and twin share the same converters for both AD and DA?

Is the only upgrade from twin quad to twin x the conversion?
Yes, they do.

Twin X upgrade is the conversion and TB3.
Old 3 weeks ago
The x6 looks more appealing now , especially if you go for a used one. That being said I am not sure if I can tell the difference, conversion/sound wise between the Apollo 8BF and the X6.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpipes View Post
Going rack size i may just go for the x16 instead, its probably better. Then i could analog sum 16 channels. The apollo 16 would go in a "portable" rack with headphone amp and mic pres. And in the mix room I will just hook up it too summing i guess.

decisions, decisions...
I feel like that is a chapter of life. Decisions, decisions...

I'd offer this: If you could make due with an x4, you could make due with an x6 and save a lot of $$$. But if the x16 is calling and it fits your set up...

Either way, you'll have a great interface for years
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Wink

Quote:
I feel like that is a chapter of life. Decisions, decisions...

I'd offer this: If you could make due with an x4, you could make due with an x6 and save a lot of $$$. But if the x16 is calling and it fits your set up...

Either way, you'll have a great interface for years
I slept on it, and will go for the x16, not as portable but hey when I'm on location i would need a rack for preamps anyways. I just got hyped about the small form factor of the x4.

And I don't want to feel like upgrading after purchase.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search