The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TC Finalizer Mastering Software.
Old 6th August 2019
Smile TC Finalizer Mastering Software.

TC Electronic MD4,MD5 Or Finalizer ?
Coming August 20.

Finally TC Electronic woke up?

My MD3 is still alive. (Poco X8,MacOs X Mojave)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNCkuiKo8d0
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Oh HELL YES. I really hope it has the weird, squishy, non-brick-wall sound of their old MasterX5 for PowerCore. I used that on every score I delivered and for me it was the magic solution for tv and film music. Soft passages magically floated upwards with auto-makeup-gain, but the peaks weren't shaved off and everything still sounded natural - just bigger... WAY bigger. Having five bands instead of three was the key for the type of music I make, and I haven't found anything which sounds as good.

After a lot of shootouts, I wound up using Waves L3-LL MultiMaximizer for the past few years (mostly due to its five-band configuration) and I was surprised to find that it sounded closest to MasterX5, although it still shaves off peaks like a brick wall limiter would. Ozone is my second favorite, but it can get complex to use and is a bit of a CPU hog. I can deploy 16 instances of L3-LL with minimal CPU hit, and the "LL" (low latency) version means I can leave it on all of my stem sub-masters while composing and recording. Other favorites are the NewFangled bundle from Eventide, although this is not really a "point and shoot" plugin. It seems more oriented toward getting the maximum push in EDM and pop styles and although it can really put the hurt on a mix it can be a bit fiddly for rapid work on a deadline.

Barring any nasty surprises (like a $5,000 price tag or a dedicated DSP dongle) I'll be hitting "add to cart" on the Finalizer plugin on day one. Hooray!
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

a finalizer imo is only a finalizer if it includes all processing blocks of the hardware unit, not just the multiband comp! - hope the new software will honour this...

(i still have some dbmax's in use, in the studio, live and for broadcasting)
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

When I asked them about more insights via facebook they replied:

"Well, it's related to the Finalizer 96k in the sense that that's the legacy that inspired the development of the new Finalizer App. It's a new standalone solution."

So no MD3/MD4 unfortunately and no plugIns... I will have to pass on this as I dont want to work on another daw only for mastering applications.
Old 7th August 2019
Thumbs up

So also very good.

When I had a finalizer 96K (2003), 2006 PowerCore FW appeared and bought MD3.
I am very happy for that.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

10 hours ago TC responded to a youtube comment saying this isn't a port of MD3/MD4.

"No, it's something entirely new! And very exciting "
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

So.. is it painstakingly modeled, never seen before cutting edge technology with exceptional value and instant professional quality through ahead of time A.I.?
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfus View Post
So.. is it painstakingly modeled, never seen before cutting edge technology with exceptional value and instant professional quality through ahead of time A.I.?
hardly so: if you're looking at any of the brands which went/got under the umbrella of evil b., none of them has been showing a major development since...
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Would be interested if it was a plug-in, having to go outside of pro tools would make it annoying.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear
I have an M5000 with MD2. That was the best and origianl version of TCE multi band compression that I have used. Never did use an M6000. The M5000 MD2 always sounded better than any of the finalizers I used.

This was back in the days of Adat's. The M5000 was always in use to fix and bounce tracks, then used as a reverb durring mixdown. I called it the "Unsuck" button, could fix most bad tracks one way or another.

The point being, I hope the plug captures the magic of that the M5000 has, if it does, sold.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I have an M5000 with MD2. That was the best and origianl version of TCE multi band compression that I have used. Never did use an M6000. The M5000 MD2 always sounded better than any of the finalizers I used.

This was back in the days of Adat's. The M5000 was always in use to fix and bounce tracks, then used as a reverb durring mixdown. I called it the "Unsuck" button, could fix most bad tracks one way or another.

The point being, I hope the plug captures the magic of that the M5000 has, if it does, sold.
not my experience: if just looking at the multiband compressor, there is hardly any difference between the 5000's md2, the finalizer 96k or the eq station - i got all of them here and could compare again; i won't 'cause i'm using the m5k for reverb, the eq station as a 2-band dynamic equalizer/de-esser and the 96k as a channel strip...

as mentioned before, it's the dbmax (inserted on my master buses) which makes a difference as it's a 5-band unit and generally, it's the multitude of processing blocks (normalizer, equalizer, multiband expander, multiband compressor, multiband limiter, enhancer, stereo field enhancer etc.) which make the finalizer family unique.

any serious emulation imo needs to include all of these functions - a multiband compressor alone can easily be found elsewhere, even more so if this new incarnation may not run on pt, cubendo etc.!
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

ah it's a shame this can't be used in a DAW. I still have fond memories of both the Finalizer and the MD3 on the Powercore..
Why reinvent the wheel when we already have fine DAWs that can be used for mastering ?
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

Very curious about this. I don't love the fact that it looks like it will be a standalone app but with the existence of ARA2 I'm not going to make too many assumptions until we have more info. If it is ARA2 then the standalone thing won't be that big of a deal at all since it allows you to instantly transfer audio and playback edits in real time. Who knows though maybe it will be a standalone mastering solution with support for 3rd party plugins. I currently use the project page in studio one most of the time and that is pretty good but it would be pretty easy to pull me away of because of how many things it can't do (automation for example). I think they probably know what they are doing. It would he a pretty terrible idea to make it standalone if it wasn't some pretty powerful software so I'm sure there are some key details left before I am willing to make any judgements on it.

Just my thoughts though. Excited to see what direction they are heading either way.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

it seems like a standalone app so not even a plugin!
Old 20th August 2019
Here for the gear

https://finalizer.com/
Old 20th August 2019
Old 20th August 2019
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
it seems like a standalone app so not even a plugin!
Yep, sad but true. Fail.

I was really hoping for a modern take on MasterX5 in a native plugin.

*Sigh* (Remove from cart)
Old 20th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
Yep, sad but true. Fail.

I was really hoping for a modern take on MasterX5 in a native plugin.

*Sigh* (Remove from cart)
Same here! Was hoping for at least a plugIn DAW integration. But what can you expect from a 99 USD Desktop app? I was willing to pay much much more for a MD4 kind of processor for vst/au etc.

This is really disappointing.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search