The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Locomotive Copperline
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Locomotive Copperline

Variable phantom voltage, mute, attenuation, high pass....

Hmmm.....

Very interesting. Wonder where the price will fall.

Anybody at Namm look at this thing?

Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear

I'm proud to say that I'm the co-inventor of the Copperline. I'm happy to answer any questions you all might have.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperline View Post
I'm proud to say that I'm the co-inventor of the Copperline. I'm happy to answer any questions you all might have.
Mostly I'm looking for phantom power to put in front a pair of Coil CA-70 preamps, so I'm curious as to the sonic affect of having available variable voltage on a condenser mic and what "vintage load" is and what problem it addresses.

thanks!
Old 20th July 2019
Here for the gear

Ultra high precision phantom power was one of the primary goals of this machine. People often don't realize how important quality phantom power is and how much bad phantom can adversely affect your signal. The variable voltage part of the Copperline will affect different microphones in different ways. Taking it up to 52 volts may add just a touch of openness and high end with a little extra headroom. Now taking it down low is where the fun begins. Each microphone is different and will react in different ways to low phantom. You can take a mic just above its breakdown voltage (where it stops working) and it can get really grungy and nasty and amazing (awesome on guitars). On some mics starving the phantom actually increased the high end. Vintage load adds resistance in parallel to the input of the Copperline which may help better match the impedance loads. Vintage gear wants to see about 600 ohms which is no longer the standard. This fixes that. The difference in the correct application is astonishing. Most good techs will strap a 600 ohm resistor across the output of a piece of vintage gear (lots of applications are missing this critical resistor). This is the correct solution but its semi-permanent and impossible to A-B. Frequency response opens up greatly with the right impedance matching. Because the resistance is on the input, this can also be applied to a microphone. Again, each mic is different but its just another tool to have some fun with. We are also using Crimson Audio inductors that were custom designed and made for the Copperline.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperline View Post
Ultra high precision phantom power was one of the primary goals of this machine. People often don't realize how important quality phantom power is and how much bad phantom can adversely affect your signal. The variable voltage part of the Copperline will affect different microphones in different ways. Taking it up to 52 volts may add just a touch of openness and high end with a little extra headroom. Now taking it down low is where the fun begins. Each microphone is different and will react in different ways to low phantom. You can take a mic just above its breakdown voltage (where it stops working) and it can get really grungy and nasty and amazing (awesome on guitars). On some mics starving the phantom actually increased the high end. Vintage load adds resistance in parallel to the input of the Copperline which may help better match the impedance loads. Vintage gear wants to see about 600 ohms which is no longer the standard. This fixes that. The difference in the correct application is astonishing. Most good techs will strap a 600 ohm resistor across the output of a piece of vintage gear (lots of applications are missing this critical resistor). This is the correct solution but its semi-permanent and impossible to A-B. Frequency response opens up greatly with the right impedance matching. Because the resistance is on the input, this can also be applied to a microphone. Again, each mic is different but its just another tool to have some fun with. We are also using Crimson Audio inductors that were custom designed and made for the Copperline.

Nice copper line! Congrats to you and Eric both. Great outside the box product!! Tell Eric that I'm in for one when they are released.

BTW, I've got customized switchable load resistance on several pieces of gear (LA2a, 3a, etc.) and it's a really nice tone shaper. Sounds similar to this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Wonder where the price will fall.
$750 is what eric mentioned....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdO0YHoZD4
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
$750 is what eric mentioned....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdO0YHoZD4
Thanks. Eric responded to a query on his Instagram account about price, but I had not seen that video.

Shame GS did not do a NAMM thread this year.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

curious to hear a U87 through this bugger.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search