The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Tannoy Gold Dual Concentric Monitors ???
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

well, wow, i skimmed this topic pretty fast... anyone actually have anything to report about these monitors yet?
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Maniac

The Review...

OK - I checked 'em out.

First of all, let me open by saying that my listening room is a work in progress and I'm just getting started. I've built a few studios over the years and I've always been of the mindset that if you had $2000 to spend on monitors, you'd be better served by purchasing $600 speakers and spending the remaining $1400 treating the room. My new room is formerly a dining room, essentially a 3 sided 12 x 18 box with a tray ceiling, tile floors and one side (left) open to our main front hallway. I'm still waiting on delivery of a large sofa and wood diffuser for the back wall, a 8x10 rug, speaker stands and couple other pieces of furniture before I formally take measurements and apply acoustic treatment. I did listen to a few test tones and sweeps and it's fair to say that I have some bad nodes. It was very challenging to listen to these speakers without hearing the room.

Signal chain:
I listened to test tones and music playback from iTunes as well as audio from tracking and writing sessions in Logic on my Macbook laptop using an SPL Crimson D/A & acting as monitor controller. The Tannoy Gold 7's were sitting directly on the top of my desk (I'm still waiting for stands). Speaker trim was all the way down (-24db) and HF & Bass trim settigs were both on zero.

My Opinion:
Detail! It's been many years since I've sat in front of Tannoy Dual Concentric monitors and the high end detail and separation is as impressive as ever. You know how you can listen to a song that you've heard a million times and get surprised by something you never knew was in the mix on the right speakers? That happened to me with nearly every track I referenced on these Tannoys. I'm talking about songs that have been in heavy rotation and my personal "top100" for years. There was panning that I've never noticed before, detailed bits of reverb tails, vocals distorting, mistakes and limitations in source material... They are both brilliantly detailed and brutally unforgiving. If this is something you're used to with the "big" tannoys (gold, FSM, DMT) you won't be disappointed. It's still there.
Mids were good. Lead vocals sounded great with most material, particularly present and locked into the middle of the sound field. Heavy, distorted guitars might have been bit mushy, however This is where I really think that my room was also possibly mucking things up.
Lows had plenty of punch, but you really had to move around the room to find the best spots for it. Again, I think this is more a product of the space I was listening in. Considering that these are 6.5" speakers, they could move quite a bit of air, but I'd be lying if the "amount" of low end blew me away. Most 8" monitors out there have considerably more low frequency extension. Even though I'd hoped for more bass volume, the low end was very clean and never really distorted, just fine for a smaller room. I'd say around 40Hz you could start to hear the woofer "flap" overpowering the actual bass frequency. If I was producing or mixing hip Hop, I'd definitely consider adding a sub and crossing over between 80 and 100Hz. That would probably free up enough of each Tannoy's 300w/side to rip anyone's ears off in a medium sized room.

Applications:
Again, I'm biased having spent years in studios with Tannoy dual concentric monitors as mains and/or midfields, but I think these Gold 7's will serve their purpose for me as an all-in-one monitor solution in my home music room for everything from casual listening to mixing. If you have a critical ear, I'd say these would be a great choice for tracking and editing. They'd also work for mixing, but only once you get to really know them. If you've always been a fan of Tannoy's large format studio monitors from the 90's and 2000's, these are good enough to reproduce that on a smaller scale and generate big grins when digging through your catalog and playing back mixes from the Y2K bug era.

I'm very happy with my Gold 7's and can't wait to get the rest of the room tweaked and tuned. Their performance is definitely several steps above the "budget" studio monitors that are in the same price bracket (Makie, Presonus, JBL, Yamaha, Event). If I had more money to burn, I think the next step up in quality would cost at least 3 times the price, Adam AX8 or Focal Shape 65.
As always YMMV.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

sounds nice. now the most important question coming: how will mixes translate? it will take a few months to read/hear more about it
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear
If you don't care much for anything under 50Hz (or using a sub) I highly recommend giving a try to Tannoy Gold 5. Wow, incredible speakers for $400 here in Europe...they seem to do everything right...3d image, depth, instrument separation, nice friendly-engaging tone(somewhere in between the crispiness of a KRK/Yamaha and the velvety sound of Genelec), wide sweet-spot due to its design...I'm not so sure about the high-end frequencies though, I feel like there's some distortion going on there, but will report back after I investigate it a bit more. Not a deal breaker, for sure, I'm using this against my wonderful ATC 20s famous for their lack of distortion, a bit unfair, but to me the results are quite outstanding so far when I take the value/$ into consideration.

Very good solid built quality, I can tell Tannoy tried to come out with something really good and helpful for both artists and engineers, and they definitely succeeded. Also, I find the design sexy with retro vibes in the same time, they look good, feel good and sound good. Well done, Tannoy, well done!
Old 3rd February 2020
Here for the gear

1) how about hiss on these ?
2) I wonder how warm they run under load. 200W/300W Class-AB bi-amp... any amp expert out there ?
3) hopefully there's no port noise, the gap looks narrow
Old 3rd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
If you don't care much for anything under 50Hz (or using a sub) I highly recommend giving a try to Tannoy Gold 5....
Im very curious about how these compare to the Reveal 501s. For their size the 5" Reveals seem to put out some decent low end. I make primarily sample/electronic based stuff so low lows are very important to me but I seem to have no problem 'winging it' with just the 5"s and no sub. Had the Reveals about 6 years now and absolutely love them, but Id also really love a pair of Tannoy concentrics. I wonder if the Behrinoy Golds are worth upgrading too. The 6"s would only run about $120 more, I guess I could bump up to those if it would make a difference.

Is the 1/4" input finally balanced? On the Reveals only the XLR is.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort1111 View Post
1) how about hiss on these ?
2) I wonder how warm they run under load. 200W/300W Class-AB bi-amp... any amp expert out there ?
3) hopefully there's no port noise, the gap looks narrow
Gort -
1) No audible hiss, other than tape hiss in program material (noticed when referencing The Beatles "Blackbird") - I'm driving these with an SPL Crimson as my monitor controller and it's super quiet.

2) I'm no amp expert. They get loud in my 18'x14'ish room. They seem to maintain clarity just fine until they start limiting (when cranked up with bass heavy music). I think I will get a sub soon and my mix cubes on the desk for contrast.

3) I haven't perceived any port noise... you'll notice that the port is even wider than the speaker and there seems to be ample space for airflow around the embedded controls and face plate.
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
If you don't care much for anything under 50Hz (or using a sub) I highly recommend giving a try to Tannoy Gold 5. Wow, incredible speakers for $400 here in Europe...they seem to do everything right...3d image, depth, instrument separation, nice friendly-engaging tone(somewhere in between the crispiness of a KRK/Yamaha and the velvety sound of Genelec), wide sweet-spot due to its design...I'm not so sure about the high-end frequencies though, I feel like there's some distortion going on there, but will report back after I investigate it a bit more. Not a deal breaker, for sure, I'm using this against my wonderful ATC 20s famous for their lack of distortion, a bit unfair, but to me the results are quite outstanding so far when I take the value/$ into consideration.

Very good solid built quality, I can tell Tannoy tried to come out with something really good and helpful for both artists and engineers, and they definitely succeeded. Also, I find the design sexy with retro vibes in the same time, they look good, feel good and sound good. Well done, Tannoy, well done!
Would the 5 inch version be the most accurate/best for mixing? I don't care for more low end extension if it's at the cost of accuracy or phase timing. On the other hand I read that the 8 inch version would be better for that reason. Can anyone who has them report back?
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

It is pitty there's no any measurements and reviews. I fancy which model is most neutral sounding from 5/7/8"?

I wanna try coaxial for long time to get 3D sound stage but i'm afraid of harsh sound. I love warm sound and rather on dark side.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Maniac

pricing

Tomann USA is showing the Tannoy Gold 5, Gold 7 and Gold 8 for $144, $177, and $213 respectively. That's nearly 46% less than advertised anywhere in the states. They are currently sold out and showing back in stock in 2-3 weeks. I'm wondering if this is an error or just an indication as to the markup on Behringer/Tannoy products receive when exported from Germany. I'm also having a hard time thinking that my new and beloved Gold 7's are sub $200 monitors!

In a related note... anyone in the U.S. ever order from Tomann USA? I gather that Tomann is like Germany's version of Sweetwater or Guitar Center. They offer flat rate shipping to the US for about $32 via DHL for anything under a certain weight and claim 6-10 days to deliver.
Thanks slutz.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
Tomann USA is showing the Tannoy Gold 5, Gold 7 and Gold 8 for $144, $177, and $213 respectively. That's nearly 46% less than advertised anywhere in the states. They are currently sold out and showing back in stock in 2-3 weeks. I'm wondering if this is an error or just an indication as to the markup on Behringer/Tannoy products receive when exported from Germany. I'm also having a hard time thinking that my new and beloved Gold 7's are sub $200 monitors!

In a related note... anyone in the U.S. ever order from Tomann USA? I gather that Tomann is like Germany's version of Sweetwater or Guitar Center. They offer flat rate shipping to the US for about $32 via DHL for anything under a certain weight and claim 6-10 days to deliver.
Thanks slutz.
Those were the start prices here in Europe. Thomann is probably the biggest (and best) dealer here, good prices and better costumer service. Almost always ordered from them and never had a problem
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

I agree Andrei, and thanks for your comments on this thread and the other one you started (Tannoy Gold 5 - wow, what a steal! ). Really enjoying them. Incidentally, for those concerned about stock, I got them this week from DV247 Music Store: 2 days from Cologne/Koln to the UK. £260 for the pair.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys. I'm new here. I just hooked these up (Gold 7). One monitor is significantly louder than the other. Two 1/4 inchs coming out of my interface into each L/R. I swapped cables and tried them on opposite inputs. The same speaker is louder than the other. Same settings on both. Played off Youtube same results. Crap. I just got the in from Germany too (i'm in the US). Any thoughts?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeroner View Post
Any thoughts?
You are just unlucky. I was in such situation with JBL LSR 305. You have to return it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm new here. I just hooked these up (Gold 7). One monitor is significantly louder than the other. Two 1/4 inchs coming out of my interface into each L/R. I swapped cables and tried them on opposite inputs. The same speaker is louder than the other. Same settings on both. Played off Youtube same results. Crap. I just got the in from Germany too (i'm in the US). Any thoughts?

Have you enabled auto standby on both?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

^ yep

also, see the manual. It says start at 0db which is all the way up/right. Is that normal?

https://imgur.com/mItT9Le
https://imgur.com/2QWvMD8

When i put them both like that (see pic) the right side is noisy (ground/hum/buzz) and the left is really quiet.

The right is less volume maybe 25%. I also switch outlets and power plugs.

No luck.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
^ yep

also, see the manual. It says start at 0db which is all the way up/right. Is that normal?

https://imgur.com/mItT9Le
https://imgur.com/2QWvMD8

When i put them both like that (see pic) the right side is noisy (ground/hum/buzz) and the left is really quiet.

The right is less volume maybe 25%. I also switch outlets and power plugs.

No luck.
sounds like the TRS sleeve is not touching correctly - maybe its a balanced unbalanced...or -10 on one and +4 on the other
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just another note on that return....

So I ordered them from that store listed in post #102 above. Crazy how less costly it is than here in the states/Sweetwater. I saved about $200 after the 60 shipping charge.

Ordered them last Tuesday and they were at my doorstep Thursday evening from Germany! Crazy. How does that work?

Anyways they are being cooperative. Asked me to get a quote on shipping it back. UPS online tells me $1700! for 50lbs to ship to the location they provided.

Obviously this won't work. Not sure how this will proceed. I just replied to their email.
Old 3 weeks ago
Just found this:

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Just found this:

hmm... is kali flatter? .. better mids? ..thanks for that
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
Oh, I really wanted someone to do the Kali LP6, Tannoy Gold 7 (or Gold 5) and Fluid FX50 comparison. The Kali LP6 I think is meant to be more accurate than the LP8.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Oh, I really wanted someone to do the Kali LP6, Tannoy Gold 7 (or Gold 5) and Fluid FX50 comparison. The Kali LP6 I think is meant to be more accurate than the LP8.
He will probably will
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
According to the measurements, Tannoys are much better than Kalis. From 350hz to the lowest low end is the room. Tannoys measurements are almost flat and go deeper. Lot of imperfections in the Kalis frequency graph.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
According to the measurements, Tannoys are much better than Kalis. From 350hz to the lowest low end is the room. Tannoys measurements are almost flat and go deeper. Lot of imperfections in the Kalis frequency graph.
on tannoy the upper middle and upper seem to be clamped(

yamaha hs could be better/

maybe they'll do more tests besides Kali

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search