The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM physical modelling drum virtual instrument
Old 20th June 2019
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM physical modelling drum virtual instrument

IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM physical modelling drum virtual instrument-unnamed.jpg

IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM - the breakthrough physical modelling drum virtual instrument

New modal synthesis acoustic drums instrument offers unprecedented customization and levels of detail

IK Multimedia, the leader in software modelling technology, is proud to present MODO DRUM®, its first physical modelling drum virtual instrument. A sequel to IK's award-winning MODO BASS software, MODO DRUM brings musicians of all styles and genres a new level of customization, detail and realism, that is unprecedented in any plug-in and standalone software to date.

Using a powerful combination of modal synthesis and advanced sampling, MODO DRUM offers 10 deeply customizable, virtual drum kits with real-time access to every parameter of each drum (kick, snares and toms) - from size and tension, to shell profile and playing style, and more. Cymbals can also be tuned and damping adjusted to ensure incredibly realistic music tracks.

To further shape their sound, users can place their kit in different acoustic environments and take advantage of a full mixer with sends and buses, as well as 19 studio processors and effects from IK's acclaimed T-RackS and AmpliTube software titles to add the final polish to any kit. An integrated Groove manager featuring more than 1,400 patterns allows users to create beats right out of the box.

Real-time drum synthesis
Unlike traditional sample-based virtual instruments, MODO DRUM utilizes IK's award-winning modal synthesis technology and an ultra-optimized sound engine to bring drums to life. The result of 11 years of research and development with one of the oldest universities in Europe, each drum's acoustic behaviour is determined by its physical parameters: dimensions, materials, skin, and more, as well by the playing style, the interaction of the drum head with the body, the effect of sympathetic vibrations and the acoustic interaction with the room. MODO DRUM creates incredibly authentic sound in real time, recreating those ever-changing interactions between the player, drums, and room on the fly in a new way that no current sample-based software can do.

10 drum kits, infinite possibilities
MODO DRUM offers 10 iconic drum kits to cover every style and genre of music. From jazz to grunge kits and maple shells to exotic bubinga, each kit has been chosen to represent a particular style, genre or time period, for the widest possible range of timbres and tones. Three complete cymbal sets are also included, as well as tambourine, cowbell and claps for full General MIDI compatibility.

Unprecedented sound customization
MODO DRUM offers the most customization options ever seen in a drum plug-in, allowing users to control the entire act of playing drums - from the kit itself, to playing style, stick selection, room choice and effects.

The Customize section allows users to add, remove, swap and rearrange drums from starter kits. For each drum in the kit, users can then adjust a wide selection of elements on the fly, including the skins, tuning, damping, diameter, height and the shell profile of the drum itself.

For snare drums, the type and tension of the snare can be adjusted, and for both kick and snare, users can even adjust the sympathetic vibration of nearby drums. Cymbals can be tuned up and down, and damping can be adjusted to precisely shape their sound and performance.

Any element can be saved as an individual preset; entire kits can also be saved for future use.

Meet your new drummer
Beyond basic kit construction, users can also control the way the "drummer" plays each drum and cymbal, using the Play Style section.

Users can adjust the location and accuracy of each drum hit to shape the sound and give their grooves a more precise or more relaxed feel, and also select from a range of cymbal articulations. The kick drum can be customized to indicate a heel up or down technique and to select the type of beaters (felt, plastic or wood). A selection of stick types is also available for each hand.

For added realism, MODO DRUM's infinite round robin feature ensures that no two hits sound identical. As with a real drummer, it offers a subtly different performance every time.

Rooms that make a difference
MODO DRUM's Room section offers an array of drum placement scenarios, from a dry drum booth to acoustically treated recording studios, to clubs, cathedrals, garages and more. MODO DRUM uses convolution to ensure each element of a kit interacts naturally with the space and with each other. Let it ring or add gates and compression on the room tone for more creative drum sounds.

Fine-tuning made easy
The built-in mixer provides total control over the recorded sound. Users can adjust levels and panning per element as well as mute, solo, and flip phase. Elements can be grouped in buses, and each element has two sends to process multiple elements with the same global FX, for a more cohesive feel.

A massive suite of 19 studio processors and effects derived from IK's T-RackS and AmpliTube is also included, to professionally sculpt the final flavour of each kit (distortion, modulation, reverb/delay, and more). Tracks, buses, FX returns, and the master output each host an 8-band parametric high-end EQ plus four additional effects slots for endless sound shaping possibilities.

Start groovin' out of the box
For music-making inspiration, MODO DRUM provides an integrated Groove manager with more than 1,400 grooves in a wide array of styles and moods. The Groove section contains MIDI patterns and variations to easily build song sections with just few clicks. Smart filters help users pinpoint specific loops by categories such as genre, length, and time signature. These loops were handcrafted by IK's team to be unmistakably unique, authentic, and inspiring. Users can trigger all loops from within MODO DRUM, or drag and drop them into a DAW for additional possibilities.

Pricing and availability
MODO DRUM will ship in August 2019 and is now available for pre-order from the IK Multimedia online store and from IK authorized dealers worldwide for a special introductory price of $/€299.99*.

Existing users of any IK product that retails for $/€99.99 and up are eligible to pre-order MODO DRUM at a further reduced crossgrade price of only $/€199.99.

As a special thank you, current owners of IK's MODO BASS software who log in will receive an automatic coupon for $/€50 that can be applied to the crossgrade pricing.

Pricing as of August 2019 will be as follows: regular version $/€399.99, crossgrade $/€299.99.

* All prices excluding taxes

For more information about MODO DRUM, please visit: www.mododrum.com

To see MODO DRUM in action: www.mododrum.com/video
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM physical modelling drum virtual instrument-unnamed.jpg  
5
Share
Old 20th June 2019
  #2
Gear Head
 

Please tell me that we can actually tune the heads to a certain note/hz >.<
Also would be cool to be able to tune the heads in intervals from each other
Also for the toms between themselves maybe 4 toms tuned in fourths from each other
or maybe I want just 2 toms tuned in fifths from each other


This kind of tuning options would give 10x more versatility and usability to the product

Also...please...It´s 2019...Can we finally forget the idea that "metal" drums are clicky, no low-end and mid scooped?
that demo made me almost not want to even demo the product at all...
3
Share
Old 20th June 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
Please tell me that we can actually tune the heads to a certain note/hz >.<
Also would be cool to be able to tune the heads in intervals from each other
Also for the toms between themselves maybe 4 toms tuned in fourths from each other
or maybe I want just 2 toms tuned in fifths from each other


This kind of tuning options would give 10x more versatility and usability to the product

Also...please...It´s 2019...Can we finally forget the idea that "metal" drums are clicky, no low-end and mid scooped?
that demo made me almost not want to even demo the product at all...
You can see more about the tuning on the product page or in the videos, but it is not set to specific notes at this time. I'll relay your request to the team though.
Old 20th June 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I really like the features of this product.

But have to check if it sounds good and is versatile enough, and not that same old "rock" drum sample with small variations.
Old 20th June 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I really like the features of this product.

But have to check if it sounds good and is versatile enough, and not that same old "rock" drum sample with small variations.
Since this uses heavy physical modelling it certainly won't be the same old "rock" drum sample But seriously I do look forward to you getting to try it out.
1
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 
lowlou's Avatar
This is incredible. Lol... I'm buying Uno Drums, then I'll buy Modo bass, third, the Modo Drums, then I'll see if I buy the tapes also. Gosh... Well done.
Old 21st June 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
they sound off

i listened to the audio examples. they don't sound very good IMHO. features seems great, but the drums aren't realistic to my ears.
Old 21st June 2019
  #8
Gear Addict
 
lowlou's Avatar
Hey Peter, can you tell me what's the IK's policy regarding software upgrades ? Paying upgrades ? Free ones ? Discounted ?
Old 21st June 2019
  #9
Gear Addict
 
ManMulcahy's Avatar
Peter - can Modo Drum be triggered by electronic kits (e.g., my Roland TD 50) and, if so, is mapping straightforward? This looks pretty amazing and surprisingly intuitive.
Old 21st June 2019
  #10
Gear Addict
 
PitchSlap's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
Please tell me that we can actually tune the heads to a certain note/hz >.<
Also would be cool to be able to tune the heads in intervals from each other...


This kind of tuning options would give 10x more versatility and usability to the product
100% agreed. The more software developers understand that musicians deal with notes and BPM, not Hz and ms, the better.

I get these are meant to have unparalleled realism, but we can skip the part about taking ages to manually tune drums to match the song.

If it must be hertz, at least show the note name in the tooltip, or allow snapping to notes (with a shift-modifier for fine tuning).

Tuning presets would be great as well so we can save custom kits, but then have a simple way to adjust to the track.

(and while we're at it, allowing the convolution reverb to load samples would add a lot more flexibility and creative sound design possibilities.)
4
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #11
TGP
Gear Nut
 

I always asked myself why ITB drum kits are only sampled drum kits, given that Roland does physical modelling since a number of years in their TD-x devices...

So it seems like a logical step for me to do physical drum modelling ITB, similar to other instruments like Pianoteq VST for piano.
2
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

The interface and concept look great. Been waiting for someone to do something like this for years.

I'd love to take some time to demo this because I wasn't really thrilled by the sound example in the videos. I'm not really expecting it replace sample-based instruments like SD3, but I hope it can at least be tweaked to sound realistic.
Old 21st June 2019
  #13
Gear Head
 

I wonder if the modeling parameters can be automated. That would open up for all kind of wonderful weirdness.
2
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Great idea! I love modo bass and in the mix it works like a charm so very interested to see how modo drums will work.
The examples on the page have an artificial sound, but i don´t know how far they are processed. maybe when mixing with someones own plugin arsenal you can get better results. Partly a bit hissy and the rooms got a fake feel but anyway we could enhance with real drum samples. Do we have a knob to control the variations? For example using only one velocity value and the control knob lets you choose how much variation you want to have.

cheers jens
Old 21st June 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
100% agreed. The more software developers understand that musicians deal with notes and BPM, not Hz and ms, the better.

I get these are meant to have unparalleled realism, but we can skip the part about taking ages to manually tune drums to match the song.

If it must be hertz, at least show the note name in the tooltip, or allow snapping to notes (with a shift-modifier for fine tuning).

Tuning presets would be great as well so we can save custom kits, but then have a simple way to adjust to the track.

(and while we're at it, allowing the convolution reverb to load samples would add a lot more flexibility and creative sound design possibilities.)
I am not aware of any other drum VI that
allows you to tune a drum to a specific
note. C’mon. You have to do it by ear
with a real drum kit. So it takes some
time..tune the kits ahead of your session.
1
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGP View Post
I always asked myself why ITB drum kits are only sampled drum kits, given that Roland does physical modelling since a number of years in their TD-x devices...

So it seems like a logical step for me to do physical drum modelling ITB, similar to other instruments like Pianoteq VST for piano.
Roland’s physical modeling has always
included samples.
Old 21st June 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
I also think the idea of tuning the drum fundementals to notes in the key of the song is primarily a myth, and one that needs to die. How many songs have been recorded with acoustic drums, and how many times were those drums tuned to fit the key of a particular song? Yeah, maybe someone did it once on a Tool record or whatever, but c'mon. How many times do we think that's really happened with acoustic drums*? Do people listen to records and think, "oh man, those drums are out of tune - kills the track?" Do you see drummers swapping out kits between every song to make sure the drums are in the right key? Not to mention that you're usually tuning the two heads to entirely different pitches, in order manipulate the fundamental pitch of the drum, so you're hearing more than just 220hz or 80hz.

*I get that a long 808-style kick acting as a bass is a different thing entirely.
3
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #18
Here for the gear
 

I was really hoping to be blown away by the sound because I love MODO bass!! but I'm kinda disappointed by the audio I've heard so far, no way near realistic drums to my ears.
2
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Hey Peter, can you tell me what's the IK's policy regarding software upgrades ? Paying upgrades ? Free ones ? Discounted ?
We offer crossgrades to those who have a product 99.99+ MSRP purchased and promotions, etc like this pre-order special. Please log into the IK site and visit https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/eligibility/ to see what you qualify for specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
Peter - can Modo Drum be triggered by electronic kits (e.g., my Roland TD 50) and, if so, is mapping straightforward? This looks pretty amazing and surprisingly intuitive.
Yes, you will be able to trigger with e-drum kits easily. Also note that there are great articulations etc for hi-hat and x/y beater placement on e-drum brains that support that feature (and mapped outside of the GM mapping for use otherwise).

We will have the following articulations for the three available hi-hats:

Tight Tip

Close Tip
Half Open Tip
Open Tip

Close Shank
Half Open Shank
Open Shank

Foot Open
Foot Close


We will also feature continuous Hi-Hat aperture control via a specific key and a selectable CC will regulate the aperture.

Plus, there be a shell beating position controllable via selectable MIDI CC for snare and toms.
Old 21st June 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
We offer crossgrades to those who have a product 99.99+ MSRP purchased and promotions, etc like this pre-order special. Please log into the IK site and visit https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/eligibility/ to see what you qualify for specifically.


Yes, you will be able to trigger with e-drum kits easily. Also note that there are great articulations etc for hi-hat and x/y beater placement on e-drum brains that support that feature (and mapped outside of the GM mapping for use otherwise).

We will have the following articulations for the three available hi-hats:

Tight Tip

Close Tip
Half Open Tip
Open Tip

Close Shank
Half Open Shank
Open Shank

Foot Open
Foot Close


We will also feature continuous Hi-Hat aperture control via a specific key and a selectable CC will regulate the aperture.

Plus, there be a shell beating position controllable via selectable MIDI CC for snare and toms.
Peter, when is this actually releasing?
Old 21st June 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Peter, when is this actually releasing?
When the prices go to normal per the news (in August). Thanks!
Old 21st June 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANilsson View Post
I was really hoping to be blown away by the sound because I love MODO bass!! but I'm kinda disappointed by the audio I've heard so far, no way near realistic drums to my ears.
Actually they sound “realistic” to me but
the problem is the drums are buried by all that
metal rock music in the demo.

It would be helpful if iK posted audio demos of
single drum kit pieces, like fxPansion used
to do. Four soft to loud hits on a single
kit piece,no processing, no verb, just the
drum or cymbal.
Old 21st June 2019
  #23
Gear Addict
 
QuintaQuad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Actually they sound “realistic” to me but
the problem is the drums are buried by all that
metal rock music in the demo.

It would be helpful if iK posted audio demos of
single drum kit pieces, like fxPansion used
to do. Four soft to loud hits on a single
kit piece,no processing, no verb, just the
drum or cymbal.
If you scroll through the audio demos past the full songs there are solo versions with drums only. Not single drum hits like you suggest but full kit without the distracting other instruments.
1
Share
Old 21st June 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
If you scroll through the audio demos past the full songs there are solo versions with drums only. Not single drum hits like you suggest but full kit without the distracting other instruments.
Yes, they are below the songs at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...ex.php?p=media - thank you for pointing this out.
Old 22nd June 2019
  #25
Gear Addict
 
lowlou's Avatar
Hey Peter I just ordered a Uno Drum from Thomann. Does it count for the corssgrade or it's only for products bought via the IK webshop ? If the answer is yes, where can I register my hardware ? I can't find anything on the website, even when logged in. Thx !
Old 23rd June 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
StoneyBCN's Avatar
 

Thanks Peter for confirming on the other thread that multi-outs is supported.

I listened to the "solo" audio samples and I quite believe that those include usage in varying amounts of the on-board channel processors, the T Racks stuff, as per the audio mixes that accompany the clips.

It would definitely be really nice to get a sneaky preview of sorts of just some dry kicks, snares, whole kit blends... no music, no effects, just a bit of that MODO workin'.

I wonder if any microphone modelling is involved besides the kit pieces, player, and room?

And what about Groove Import?
2
Share
Old 24th June 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Hey Peter I just ordered a Uno Drum from Thomann. Does it count for the corssgrade or it's only for products bought via the IK webshop ? If the answer is yes, where can I register my hardware ? I can't find anything on the website, even when logged in. Thx !
Hi, yes a registered UNO DRUM unit would qualify you for crossgrades. There should have been a serial number on a card in the box with your UNO DRUM which would have your serial and the link/instructions for registration. Please let me know if you locate that.
1
Share
Old 24th June 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Thanks Peter for confirming on the other thread that multi-outs is supported.

I listened to the "solo" audio samples and I quite believe that those include usage in varying amounts of the on-board channel processors, the T Racks stuff, as per the audio mixes that accompany the clips.

It would definitely be really nice to get a sneaky preview of sorts of just some dry kicks, snares, whole kit blends... no music, no effects, just a bit of that MODO workin'.

I wonder if any microphone modelling is involved besides the kit pieces, player, and room?

And what about Groove Import?
No problem. I did relay the requests for more and also more dry types of audio demos. We do always have some mic modeling included in some way when there's simulation of something miked but the crux of the actual physical modeling focuses on the drum components themselves. Miking and mixing outside of that is where our other analog modeling prowess would be used.
Old 24th June 2019
  #29
+1 for "unprocessed" sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post

It would definitely be really nice to get a sneaky preview of sorts of just some dry kicks, snares, whole kit blends... no music, no effects, just a bit of that MODO workin'.

And what about Groove Import?
Agreed, the mixed samples don't have me convinced this would be an upgrade over any of its competitors, e.g., EZD2, AD2, SSD5, BFD3, etc. To preorder something like this would really require some solid examples of dry kits/pieces to get a better feel for how natural this actually can sound.

Visually, it looks great. I could see the layout working really well for my workflow, but that won't matter if it doesn't sound as good as any of the other VIs I already have.

I'm also curious about groove import options too. 1400 grooves sounds like a lot, but when they're so spread out over various genres, I likely wouldn't use the majority of them.
2
Share
Old 24th June 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxterbrown View Post
Agreed, the mixed samples don't have me convinced this would be an upgrade over any of its competitors, e.g., EZD2, AD2, SSD5, BFD3, etc. To preorder something like this would really require some solid examples of dry kits/pieces to get a better feel for how natural this actually can sound.

Visually, it looks great. I could see the layout working really well for my workflow, but that won't matter if it doesn't sound as good as any of the other VIs I already have.

I'm also curious about groove import options too. 1400 grooves sounds like a lot, but when they're so spread out over various genres, I likely wouldn't use the majority of them.
Yeah, the layout and workflow looks great.

The samples on the website, otoh, sounds bad in my opinion. To me they are overly processed and far from real.

This might be a matter of different taste with the guy who made the samples, so I'll wait to try myself.
4
Share
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump