The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM physical modelling drum virtual instrument
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Quickly this is what I come up with:
[*]No limitations of mic positioning or type? Again, only MODO DRUM.
I can not find any info about mic positioning on the IK site, nor on the screenshots, nor in any of the videos.
Some more info in these please cause it's a crucial part of a drum sound.

This one is the most interesting problem for me. Can you change the virtual microphones type and placement on the kit pieces?

How does the Overhead mics modeling work?
Thanks.

Last edited by highvoltage; 7th August 2019 at 11:56 PM..
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Looks like it could be a cool option for drums. Glad to see a new approach. I'll definitely give it a demo.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Some more info in these please cause it's a crucial part of a drum sound.

This one is the most interesting problem for me.
Agreed. Mic choice and positioning is a huge part of a kit's recorded sound. Drums were always gonna harder than what MODO Bass does, because a bass is an electrical signal coming right off the jack, but a drum membrane is not physically/electronically coupled to anything. The sound goes through air and the signal we receive comes off the microphone output; two large and complex variables that a DI bass signal doesn't have.

Tapping into this part of the drum recording chain would push a product like this even further. Heck, they already did the Mic Locker plugin... Maybe they could add an input mic model to that product, to utilize it further with MODO Drums?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

That means that you aren't limited to how the drums in a sampled library were specifically mic'd. Being physically modeled, MODO DRUM has no such limitations. You're not hearing a drum specifically through x mic in x position and angle through x preamp without any available adjustments... You're hearing the drum itself. That's the beauty of physical modeling - this is the essence of the drum itself. Not the process. Edit - though you do have the overheads and the room using our modeling process with is more a hybrid of different processes but I can't go too far under the hood there

Those who pre-ordered might want to check their IK User Area and hear how good MODO DRUM sounds for themselves...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search