IK Multimedia introduces MODO DRUM physical modelling drum virtual instrument
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We have also posted a new video about the Mixer section and effects:

https://youtu.be/6oDtDIic-K0

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Bought it.

I hope that from this point you'll continue to develop it : it's really a super concept ! yum yum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Solo samples provided are really not that great, but it's a start. Where I expect modeled sounds to shine is in addition to live recordings, as you presumably can tune every drum to exactly match to the recorded material and blend to taste.

As long as we'll have live drums there will be poorly recorded performances, and if nothing more, this technology looks promising for this use case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdHemisphere View Post
Where I expect modeled sounds to shine is in addition to live recordings, as you presumably can tune every drum to exactly match to the recorded material and blend to taste.

As long as we'll have live drums there will be poorly recorded performances, and if nothing more, this technology looks promising for this use case.
Yea, so far I'm thinking of this one more as a sound design tool myself, rather than a go to for MIDI drums. Still waiting for some video content that really puts this thing into action though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Not possible to mix and match drums with sample libraries without loading entire new sets? That's just not true.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Thanks for this.

Very nice to hear some dry hits and a dry groove. My impressions thus far remain positive. For me, it will be nice to not have some pre-chosen analogue signal path baked-in to the sounds. Hopefully, that will allow much better tone-matching amongst other tracks, compared to samples. I have a lot of disdain for the whole "don't worry, we already made it sound good, so you don't have to!" marketing approach in the world of samples... I like to choose the limiters and preamp tones myself
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Thanks for this.

Very nice to hear some dry hits and a dry groove. My impressions thus far remain positive. For me, it will be nice to not have some pre-chosen analogue signal path baked-in to the sounds. Hopefully, that will allow much better tone-matching amongst other tracks, compared to samples. I have a lot of disdain for the whole "don't worry, we already made it sound good, so you don't have to!" marketing approach in the world of samples... I like to choose the limiters and preamp tones myself
Great to hear, glad you are looking forward to having much more flexibility and control, quickly and easily as you can see. And to make sure people understand, even for an individual piece in sampled kits that allow you to do so you do have to load a large set of samples (unless you are using something that has a single velocity layer, no round robin, and only one actual sound - perhaps the old "gunshot snare" trick? ). With MODO DRUM let modal synthesis do the heavy lifting quickly and with much great flexibility: You'll be able to load and tweak that piece to an amazing level of detail in a literal flash.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And to make sure people understand, even for an individual piece in sampled kits that allow you to do so you do have to load a large set of samples.
True, but unless you're working on a computer that is very old, with samples stored on a very slow hard drive, swapping individual drum sounds doesn't take an eternity to do, and not long enough to actually disrupt the flow of your work even if you leave things playing while doing it, so MODO really only presents a minor advantage at best there.

For me, it will still ultimately come down to the overall raw sound quality of each set, and the software's general ease of use in comparison to other major drum plug-ins. Hopefully you have more videos coming before the intro deal is gone.

I wouldn't mind seeing an example of someone composing something short and simple with each kit, and maybe another one with someone setting it up to work with an electronic drum set. I'm definitely sold on the concept, but not on the software itself yet. Give us more great reasons why MODO Drums is something that can replace or at least compete with the drum software that a lot of us already have. I'm literally waiting for a decent excuse to justify this purchase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You've got far more flexibility right out of the box down to swapping shells and all the other customization available - all through physical modeling which, like MODO BASS shows as well, can lead to a far more realistic and usable tone for your tracks. These four latest videos show a lot of what you can do to more than compete with the sample library based tools out there, and like another user pointed out, we give you the tools to make your own drum sounds for your tracks from scratch if you please, and also give th etools to mix them to fit your tracks better.

There should be more coming but while I understand people can be cautious buyers which is good, MODO DRUM more than competes with what's out there. We looked at the competition, of course, and we feel we are delivering something that will keep the MODO line's innovation going forward.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There should be more coming but while I understand people can be cautious buyers which is good, MODO DRUM more than competes with what's out there. We looked at the competition, of course, and we feel we are delivering something that will keep the MODO line's innovation going forward.
Great!

Since we don't have the opportunity to try it for ourselves AND capitalize on the pre-order/MODO Bass deal pricing, it would be nice to actually see this thing being put into action under a real use case scenario or two.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
And to make sure people understand, even for an individual piece in sampled kits that allow you to do so you do have to load a large set of samples (unless you are using something that has a single velocity layer, no round robin, and only one actual sound - perhaps the old "gunshot snare" trick? ).
That would have been true in the past. But modern drum software use dynamic loading of kit pieces. So even though fully loading a highly detailed kit piece in BFD3 might take 5 seconds you will never notice it because the change of sound is instant.

Bringing up "advantages" like that makes you seem a bit out of touch and dishonest. It's like bringing up BSOD to sell somebody on a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK
MODO DRUM more than competes with what's out there.
But how? So far I have seen far more drawbacks than advantages.
I would be more than happy to get rid of my 600GB of drum samples.

To me, the sound examples range from OK to terrible. Which could be partly down to mixing, so I can still give you the benefit of a doubt there.
But the software itself is a big step backwards in terms of workflow and features for me. And I don't expect for a first release to be comparable to software that has been in development for 15-20 years. But let's at least be real about it.
The pricing and your own words tries to make me believe that it would be as good or better than the top dogs, but I see nothing to back that up.
The only USP of the product seems to be the ability to customize the drums. And in theory I love the concept. But in reality, how important is that to the majority of users?
It would have been interesting to see you team up with Rayzoon to incorporate their AI drummer into MODO DRUM to make it more of a song writing tool. That's where the market is truly lacking today.

I own and love a lot of your products, many of which I find to be highly underrated. But this seems more like a technology preview to be honest. Feels a bit like the first version of Amplitube did.

My tip for the coming versions is to focus on aiding song writing and composition. This goes for MODO BASS as well. This is in my opinion your only way to compete with companies like Toontrack in this space.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry that you don't fee MODO DRUM offers you what you need but you can see how it competes by what we state on its web pages on our site. Of course sound is subjective, and if you don't like it you don't like it but it does certainly provide realistic and customizable (which is definitely not its only unique selling proposition, we elaborate the features on our site) drum sounds that will more than compete with what's out there. It took a while for people to "get" MODO BASS, so I look forward to MODO DRUM's release so people can take it for a spin. Of course at that time the preorder pricing will be done but that's why you have options - if the risk isn't for you, then you are welcome to wait.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quickly this is what I come up with:
  • More included kits than most of the base packages of products we compared against.
  • Smaller disk footprint and memory usage than most
  • More effects than most, and derived directly from world-class products (T-RackS and AmpliTube)
  • Convolution reverb included vs all but one we compared to
  • More maximum kit pieces in a kit than all but one
  • Shell customization which many don't have and MODO DRUM is very deep customization overall, not just shell
  • Interaction between kit pieces: Some don't have it at all, MODO DRUM does and is part of the deeply realistic customization available
  • Some don't have humanization whereas MODO DRUM does
  • Some don't have resizable GUIs but MODO DRUM does
  • Infinite velocity layers and round robin? None we looked at had those, MODO DRUM does
  • Fastest kit loading in the west goes to MODO DRUM dominates the high noon showdown
  • Real tuning modeling based on physical modeling characteristics? Only MODO DRUM
  • Interaction between drumheads modeled for most realism? Only MODO DRUM
  • No limitations of mic positioning or type? Again, only MODO DRUM.
  • MODO DRUM has selectable beat area on the heads, while offering the width, typology and materials modeling unlike others
  • Kick beater typology and drum stick type modeling? MODO DRUM appears alone here

There may be an outlier somewhere but against the major players that I'm sure are what most are thinking of, MODO DRUM more than competes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
  • More included kits than most of the base packages of products we compared against.
  • More effects than most, and derived directly from world-class products (T-RackS and AmpliTube)
  • Shell customization which many don't have and MODO DRUM is very deep customization overall, not just shell
  • Interaction between kit pieces: Some don't have it at all, MODO DRUM does and is part of the deeply realistic customization available
  • Infinite velocity layers and round robin? None we looked at had those, MODO DRUM does
  • Fastest kit loading in the west goes to MODO DRUM dominates the high noon showdown
  • Real tuning modeling based on physical modeling characteristics? Only MODO DRUM
  • MODO DRUM has selectable beat area on the heads, while offering the width, typology and materials modeling unlike others
  • Kick beater typology and drum stick type modeling? MODO DRUM appears alone here

There may be an outlier somewhere but against the major players that I'm sure are what most are thinking of, MODO DRUM more than competes.

Very glad to have it indeed. We are so spoiled. Revolution in the making
Old 3 weeks ago
A new video is up!

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Sorry that you don't fee MODO DRUM offers you what you need but you can see how it competes by what we state on its web pages on our site. Of course sound is subjective, and if you don't like it you don't like it but it does certainly provide realistic and customizable (which is definitely not its only unique selling proposition, we elaborate the features on our site) drum sounds that will more than compete with what's out there. It took a while for people to "get" MODO BASS, so I look forward to MODO DRUM's release so people can take it for a spin. Of course at that time the preorder pricing will be done but that's why you have options - if the risk isn't for you, then you are welcome to wait.
Well, I still disagree with you Peter. But lets just leave it at that. Thank you for the effort though.

I preordered MODO BASS. Still use it on pretty much every song writing project. It's a wonderful product. I'll pass on MODO DRUM however. It's simply too much of a step backwards for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fair enough but I want people to be aware of these definitely competitive features that MODO DRUM either has exclusively or features which are rare among drum virtual instrument plugins:
Quote:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
To me, the sound examples range from OK to terrible.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. Nonetheless, I'll try for myself when it's out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

People didn't "get" MODO BASS before it was out either. I'm sure the full power and quality of MODO DRUM will become apparent too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
People didn't "get" MODO BASS before it was out either. I'm sure the full power and quality of MODO DRUM will become apparent too.
MODO Bass sounds good. I don't remember the promo videos at the time, but I doubt that they sounded bad or different than what I get with the full app.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
MODO Bass was a much easier sell than MODO Drums is going to be though. There is more going on in the drum arena right now than there was in the bass arena at the time when MODO Bass was first introduced.

Now we just need to see a video with someone demonstrating some real world use of this product within their DAW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
MODO Bass was a much easier sell than MODO Drums is going to be though. There is more going on in the drum arena right now than there was in the bass arena at the time when MODO Bass was first introduced.

Now we just need to see a video with someone demonstrating some real world use of this product within their DAW.
Drums are also a much more critical part of a production.
I think there are more realistic sounding bass plugins out there but MODO BASS is lightweight, flexible and easy to use, and in a mix it sounds good enough. From what I've heard so far MODO DRUMS does not sound good enough to justify the flexibility. Plus it's lacking features that I would miss dearly.

I would much rather see a MODO BASS 2 with a built in performance engine. Something that would allow non bass players to quickly sketch up more interesting lines. UJAM has that, Toontrack will soon release EZBass. That's where I see the competition going on in the future.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
MODO Bass sounds good. I don't remember the promo videos at the time, but I doubt that they sounded bad or different than what I get with the full app.
MODO DRUM sounds good too. Sorry to hear that your subjective opinion is that it does not. Perhaps another IK product will fit the bill for you in the future.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We know what's going on in the drum space, that's precisely why I gave this quick list that shows MODO DRUM will more than hold up to what's out there and provide an excellent tool that can surpass others:
Quote:

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
We know what's going on in the drum space, that's precisely why I gave this quick list that shows MODO DRUM will more than hold up to what's out there and provide an excellent tool that can surpass others:
Got an email that says this is the last week to pre-order. Any idea what the actual last day is?

I'm still hoping for another video before then that will show this product off in some actual use scenarios.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
A new video is up!

This vid sold me. Picked up the pre-order as a Modo Bass user and cannot wait to give it a spin!
Old 2 weeks ago
SOR
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I also think the idea of tuning the drum fundementals to notes in the key of the song is primarily a myth, and one that needs to die. How many songs have been recorded with acoustic drums, and how many times were those drums tuned to fit the key of a particular song? Yeah, maybe someone did it once on a Tool record or whatever, but c'mon. How many times do we think that's really happened with acoustic drums*? Do people listen to records and think, "oh man, those drums are out of tune - kills the track?" Do you see drummers swapping out kits between every song to make sure the drums are in the right key? Not to mention that you're usually tuning the two heads to entirely different pitches, in order manipulate the fundamental pitch of the drum, so you're hearing more than just 220hz or 80hz.

*I get that a long 808-style kick acting as a bass is a different thing entirely.
Exactly. What do drummers do when there is a key change or two within a song
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Release date?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
Release date?
We are very close, but do not have a specific date to announce yet. We will share news as soon as we start shipping. We did send emails out that this was the last weekend to pre-order, though, so...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search