The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
McDSP APB-16 Analog Processing Box
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Hardware McDSP APB-16 Analog Processing Box

https://www.mcdsp.com/apb/

They are asking to pre-order this thing now, yet if you go to the product page, all you find is some BS marketing blabbering, but not a single detail about what this actually is. Based on the info available, all I can see is a simple DSP box with some kind of transformer circuit or whatever added on, that runs a very limited, fixed set of plugins. Yet, MSRP is 8 fcking large, 7 large pre-order price! For that price you could get 2 octos plus the full set of UAD plugins plus a fat rock of premium blow! What am I missing?
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

The software runs several units of hardware compressors and EQs inside the 1 rack unit . So it’s all analogue (digitally controlled)
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
The software runs several units of hardware compressors and EQs inside the 1 rack unit . So it’s all analogue (digitally controlled)
Oh, you are saying it's all a fully analog signal path?? Wow, that went right past me. I guess I would have never thought it was possible to cram 16 compression/EQ circuits into a 1RU box! Really curious to see now how this pans out, and if the 16 compressors/EQs (btw are you sure about the EQs though, on the APB webpage, they are only mentioning compressors?) will be able to beat the best plugins, which is what they'll have to do for all this to make sense. Anyway, thanks for setting me straight here!
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

I’m actually not sure about an EQ unit in the box.

In any case at $6,999 it’s still a little out range for small studios/hobbyists. This is more for the Mastering Engineers market. IMO.
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

In any case at $6,999 it’s still a little out range for small studios/hobbyists. This is more for the Mastering Engineers market. IMO.
Well, there are still a few full time mixing engineers around, who I believe are the primary target for this, not mastering engineers.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Sure! They will definitely enjoy this unit!
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

but they sound nice.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0Ap-IEPHG8EIpB

and for the price you get access to 16 of them. so roughly 400 pr analogue "unit".
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

It’s a MAC/protocols only deal yah?
Old 21st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It’s a MAC/protocols only deal yah?
Yes. Mac Only.

Very interesting hardware.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...processing-box
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have been talking about this sort of tech for years now. Glad someone is taking it seriously. I like to take one of my outboards and put in "true bypass" and have a similar counter plug on the aux... i would then route to that aux and use the plug in w/ the analog in bypass *(so hits the VCA, FET, tube whatever)....... people use to think i was crazy,..... true SLUT HERE!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

If it has all these analog EQ’s and compressors in one box and can be used as plugins then it seems like a fair price to me.

Depending on how it sounds and if they all sound good then I assume many of the gear that current small studios own could be sold and replaced with this. But I guess it depends what you mean by “small” studio.

If you’re just a hobbyist, there’s really no reason to need anything more than a UAD Apollo twin or Arrow.

Honestly UAD and this box could be all you really truly need nowadays for hardware to call yourself a professional studio. If this processing box really sounds good and people take a liking to it then it could change the game for the future of the industry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

AAX ONLY... How long till AU versions come out?

The demos sound absolutely AMAZING.

I tried to match some of the processing quality by ear using my extensive UAD list of compressors... none of them compare imo. I'll have to run audio out to my 1176 and distressors to achieve such a satisfying sound.

When do the non-protools/AAX people of the world get to give $7k to McDSP?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This sounds interesting. I've thought about a similar thing occasionally, since I've recognized that some people want "analogue sound", but they also want "tunability of plug-ins".

An approach to this is to get something like API 500. But it becomes costly etc.

So then I thought that if one could do "digitally-controlled analogue" sort of like it's done in "DCO" synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I haven't watched all the videos so maybe they already mentioned this, but I assume there will be other plugins released besides compressors and limiters? If so is there any info on what will be released and when? EQs or other devices?

edit:

from: https://www.resolutionmag.com/wp-con...tion-V18.4.pdf

"The APB does not offer EQ — McDowell found the necessary components would generate too much heat, surmised that digital EQ was generally meeting sound professionals’ needs, and that di erences between digital and analogue are mostly felt in the saturation characteristics."

Last edited by sasha222; 4 weeks ago at 08:15 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Im telling you Id run a vox output to my 2a3 and bypass the ch. or my whatever to a tweaker or distressor and contol one of my VCA comp.... my favorite was running the mix bus through my Pendulum es8 MU (same const as the 670) and having a Puig670on the bus and control with that w the es in bypass.... freaking awesome idea... Ive ran it by waves R&D team with no response...

THIS IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE AND ITS COOL BECAUSE ACTUAL 4-10 GRAND PIECES OF GEAR WILL BECOME SIGNIFANETLY CHEAPER!!!! You will still have botique gear but within 10 years these will probably be the future with plugins controling the boxes...

Think of the possiblilies
1. It will more than likely turn into a modular box with the user being able to add a TUBE section, VCA, FET, solid state, transisor, DISC AOR B or both...they will have ones that incorperate summing sections and also interfaces that can be basically turned into a full on consloe in a an actual 4u rack ( you will then add faders and sort

2. They will run from 2 channels to 16 w ability to chain up to 4 units at ranges of 64 channels with DSP and the ability to route each ch to either tube or SSL (of coursre itll be expensive but less cost effective and the real advantage is you could start with 2 channels and within 10 years build a custom hybrid console to how ever many ch you need at the time )

3. Its going to open a whole new world of developers and 3rd party companies to create insane new producs including mic modeling (which i think will be the biggest advantage.... imagine those apples !)

THIS IS THE FUTURE PLAIN AND SIMPLE
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 View Post

"The APB does not offer EQ — McDowell found the necessary components would generate too much heat, surmised that digital EQ was generally meeting sound professionals’ needs, and that diferences between digital and analogue are mostly felt in the saturation characteristics."
This sounds correct to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 View Post
I haven't watched all the videos so maybe they already mentioned this, but I assume there will be other plugins released besides compressors and limiters? If so is there any info on what will be released and when? EQs or other devices?

edit:

from: https://www.resolutionmag.com/wp-con...tion-V18.4.pdf

"The APB does not offer EQ — McDowell found the necessary components would generate too much heat, surmised that digital EQ was generally meeting sound professionals’ needs, and that di erences between digital and analogue are mostly felt in the saturation characteristics."
Wouldn't that be same for compressors as well? I mean digital compressors do the same job as well but the difference is felt in the saturation characteristics. So why not eq?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrisag View Post
Wouldn't that be same for compressors as well? I mean digital compressors do the same job as well but the difference is felt in the saturation characteristics. So why not eq?
I imagine digital compressors will alias whereas the digital eqs won't... Maybe? Dunno much about this stuff but I'm hazarding a guess.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyone had their hands on one of these babies yet?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Wondering if there will be VST and AU versions in a future. I hope so but... there is a time frame?
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
Wondering if there will be VST and AU versions in a future. I hope so but... there is a time frame?
Eagerly awaiting a response to this too. I imagine it’s more complicated than it seems to transport aax (especially with this new tech) to au/vst, but for tax purposes (& gear lust), I’m hopeful that it will happen before the year is out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search