McDSP APB-16 Analog Processing Box
Old 15th October 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
One could argue that after so many years of working, their ears are not as good as they used to be and now they just can't hear the difference...
One could argue that their ears still must be among the best in the world.

...as they obviously use their ears to deliver among the best mixes in the world

...which is required to be labeled ”one of the best mix engineers”
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just got back from AES. Good news--AU is in the works. Release timeline is not definite but could be as soon as a few months from now.

Also, he showed off an 8 channel summing console for the APB. It's digital summing and digital 2 band EQ with analog saturation stages, and an analog master buss comp.

https://imgur.com/a/hs9mFyF
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 View Post
Just got back from AES. Good news--AU is in the works. Release timeline is not definite but could be as soon as a few months from now.

Also, he showed off an 8 channel summing console for the APB. It's digital summing and digital 2 band EQ with analog saturation stages, and an analog master buss comp.

Does the summing console have plugin recall?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
Does the summing console have plugin recall?
The summing console is a plugin, so yes.

edit: (I assume it's a plugin not a standalone app)

Last edited by sasha222; 4 weeks ago at 06:34 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I think McDSP building hybrid analog/digital gear is the coolest thing ever. Can't wait to see what else they are cooking up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The summing console is a plugin, so yes.

edit: (I assume it's a plugin not a standalone app)
Colin had me confused

I got it now. It’s a plugin for the APB. Just saw a video with him on YouTube with it. Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
it's an amazingly cool and brave idea to make this box. I need to check the demos because a lot depends on how good the processing sounds....I suspect they may not sell many of them because of the price and that it is such an esoteric idea, but kudos for taking the plunge on such an original idea...I expect the development costs were significant...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
It’s a plugin for the APB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TchvIRPFwOQ

There it is. A plugin that uses 10 channels of the APB to turn it into a digital 8 channel mixer with a stereo bus comp.

Too cool.

Last edited by Zoot; 4 weeks ago at 04:22 PM.. Reason: video/details
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I agree with Swan. It's unbelievably bold and forward thinking of McDSP. No shock there, though. They have always been the first to take the plunge with Pro Tools and still support AU. They were making RTAS/TDM plugs before most. They released AAX DSP Plugs alongside the release of HDX and PT 10/11. I waited years for my other plugs to be ported and McDSP were on it. Blam. Does anyone remember how long it took Harman to port Lex Native PCM?

I've been wondering throughout the years what might be the next stage of DAW production other than digitally controlled analog gear (that is connected via external AD/DA). I think this is a pretty good indication of what we have in store for professional studios. Yes. It's a large investment, but so is all high end gear. $450 per channel of AD/DA and compression with recall and automation is a total steal, they obviously decided that it was only economical to manufacture a 16 channel version as opposed to 8 which probably would have cost more to make per unit. The demos I have heard thus far sell this thing without even using it IMO.

Also, the fact that they made it completely automated with VCAs and hundreds of op amps and 32 bit conversion (so there isn't any difference between the digital signal and other plugins) -- it's pure f-ing genius. I want three of them. Who wants to make a record for 21k?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

this apb 16 thing is amazing. this seems like the future for great sonics in pro audio. I'm going to wait awhile before I sell all my 32 something channels of outboard comps until this technology settles but its tempting.

the issues holding me back now....

not enough variety of compressors
i like the specific sounds that i have with the comps i have, some of these have been modded by jim williams, revive audio etc so they sound different from stock and I like what I got going there. I can't replicate exactly that....

I like the tactile feel of the gear. if they release some kind of device that i can twiddle knobs with instead of computer clicks with the mouse I would be more interested

I wonder if this could lead to a homogenized but sonically pleasing sound to a lot of major label records. If everyone is using this technology the records will start to sound similar sonically.

I think 5-10 years from now I will likely be interested. Or if I find myself needing to move again I will be interested. but I'm settled in my studio and I don't need portability for myself.

all around this is great news for pro audio !
Old 1 week ago
Brb
Lives for gear

I wish there was a version without the ad d/a converters but with the plug In control. It would be a nice sidecar to pair with a console. In a console workflow the 2 stages extra conversion will add latency. Without conversion the price would be a lil cheaper too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb View Post
I wish there was a version without the ad d/a converters but with the plug In control. It would be a nice sidecar to pair with a console..
yes I agree. I won't be interested until this can be integrated with my console. I like the idea of using this for some channels but I still want to work on my console!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioguy1176 View Post
my friend... have you ever really heard the difference between a real 1176 (purple, UA or whatever that is of great quality) and a plug in??? When you push the plug in you can get nasty stuff happening and honestly i think they all sound harsh... Same w a 1073 plug in... yeah it sounds all right but it has a nasty bite in the top end verse an airy shimmer on a 1073.... not to mention you cant truly replicate the variable of the actual signal hit to the block transformer.... in the software world it just keeps the same formula, 1's and 0's.... i have the pleasure of running my retro 2a3 pultec in bypass with a pultec eq and its awesome!... so many possiblities and i am talking about added futures to my hardware gear.... trust me. Plug ins are cool and can work in a hurry.... but this is that bridge that will bring the two worlds together... nothing you can say that doesnt change how deep and weighty outboard can sound... not to mention witth mic modeling on the frontier this will bring a whole new world for interfaces and those mic modelers..

now your turn

If the "formula" covers plenty of modeling of ALL the non-linearities of the hardware circuitry and components with flowing electricity INCLUDING the extremes when hard pushing the hardware, and if the CPU is fast enough to calculate ALL these in REALTIME without much or any latency, then can and will hardware outboard be matched and even surpassed.

BUT every computer runs also a complete OS and other stuff in the background, plus I am talking emulating just one piece of hardware in realtime.
To run that much processing inside a DAW with several plugins emulating that much outboard, I think you can start thinking building a CPU farm like for rendering hi-res graphics which is outside the reach (in price) of the plethora of us humble home studio folks.
Old 15 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
this apb 16 thing is amazing
Couldn't agree more. My mind is blown.

Quote:
not enough variety of compressors
They will no doubt expand it, but at this point -- with how many op amps and VCAs are in this beast... combined with Soundtoys etc, it seems like what more could you need [/QUOTE]

Quote:
I like the tactile feel of the gear.
Seems like this will probably happen ala softube's console 1 (which they didn't take too kindly to me comparing to Focusrite's liquid mix, but let's be real!)

Quote:
I wonder if this could lead to a homogenized but sonically pleasing sound to a lot of major label records. If everyone is using this technology the records will start to sound similar sonically.
Due to how many variable exist in the engineering and mixing of music, I can't believe that a set of compressors could homogenize the sonics of an industry that has already become as seemingly homogenized as it can possibly get. Knock on wood.

Quote:
I think 5-10 years from now I will likely be interested
Agreed. I don't have the cash and I still use a 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core and getting a new 2019 mac pro + APB would be nearly 15k. I wont have that kind of investment for a significant amount of time. 5 years minimum, no doubt. I have great envy for anyone who is already TB ready and has the cash to pick up an APB. It is so bad ass. What a home run for McDSP. I couldn't be more impressed, nor could I want it anymore than I do.

Quote:
all around this is great news for pro audio !
Agreed 100%. A plugin that cannot be clipped and that is analog processing with 32 bit converters. Man. If anyone doesn't lust after this thing, something is not right with them.
Old 15 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb View Post
I wish there was a version without the ad d/a converters but with the plug In control. It would be a nice sidecar to pair with a console. In a console workflow the 2 stages extra conversion will add latency. Without conversion the price would be a lil cheaper too.
Without the AD/DA, it would be clippable and the APB cannot be clipped. This, as far as I know, is revolutionary. I know of no such plugin that cannot be clipped.

What such technology has to offer the sonic integrity of audio is beyond anything I can fathom. No more digital distortion. Just imagine a world without digital distortion. I want to live in that world.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Without the AD/DA, it would be clippable and the APB cannot be clipped. This, as far as I know, is revolutionary. I know of no such plugin that cannot be clipped.

What such technology has to offer the sonic integrity of audio is beyond anything I can fathom. No more digital distortion. Just imagine a world without digital distortion. I want to live in that world.
You appear a bit overexcited and consumed by the marketing mumbo jumbo. The "APB cannot be clipped"? So what exactly will happen if you feed it, say, +1,000dBu?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search