The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kali audio IN-8!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wasn‘t interested in Kali before but at that price and being a 3-way got me really, really curious!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
I wasn‘t interested in Kali before but at that price and being a 3-way got me really, really curious!!

I was curious enough to pull the trigger on a pair today. A 3 way at this price point is great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
I was curious enough to pull the trigger on a pair today. A 3 way at this price point is great.
report back please! I'm thinking of doing the same at some point.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
very curious to hear feedback.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworld View Post
really interested to hear this monitor. There are so few options for 3 ways at this price... actually, are there any lol?
KRK Rokit 10-3, they just released G4. A bit more expensive though.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Well, I just ordered a pair.

Going to try them out against my Event Opals lol. should be interesting. Will be demoing them brutally to see how they compare. If I'm not impressed I will send them back and probably try out a pair of LYD 48's. I decided to give these a shot because I've liked jbl monitors that I've heard, and these are from former JBL guys, plus everybody raves about the lp's... so I reckon it's worth a shot.

Will be interesting to see how they compare to a monitor 3x's their price.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Although many of the rave reviews seem to be on Youtube (which Kali used intensively as a way to promote) on GS people talk way less about them (while JBL LSR‘s are still loved around here).

Looking forward to read first reviews soon!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Received them..

first impressions are very good. I only got to run them for about an hour today. They pretty much hold their own next to my opals, which is impressive. I will say that opals are definitely more refined sounding. The opals just sound more free of tiny resonant frequencies than the in-8's. However, I do prefer the overall frequency curve of the in-8's (balance of lows/low-mids/high-mids/highs).

I'm really liking the mids. They are very much in focus, which is what I prefer. I think they will be easy to mix on, we will see. I won't say they sound really beautiful or anything, but they do sound like they will be good for getting **** done.

I will post more thoughts as they come. Still haven't decided if I will keep them, but I would say I'm thinking 65% yes.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Received them..

first impressions are very good. I only got to run them for about an hour today. They pretty much hold their own next to my opals, which is impressive. I will say that opals are definitely more refined sounding. The opals just sound more free of tiny resonant frequencies than the in-8's. However, I do prefer the overall frequency curve of the in-8's (balance of lows/low-mids/high-mids/highs).

I'm really liking the mids. They are very much in focus, which is what I prefer. I think they will be easy to mix on, we will see. I won't say they sound really beautiful or anything, but they do sound like they will be good for getting **** done.

I will post more thoughts as they come. Still haven't decided if I will keep them, but I would say I'm thinking 65% yes.
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking about just ordering them blindly (doubt I'll have a chance to check one out at Guitar Center anytime soon).

How's bass on these? Also, how's the sound at crossover points (330Hz and 3000Hz)? These are most critical frequencies, interesting choice for crossover points, not sure if this is a good or bad thing or doesn't matter at all.

EDIT: also, did you notice any hiss?
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

No problem.

I tested them out for quite a while longer today, and I'm liking them even more.

Regarding your questions...

First of all, the bass is very good. It is not hyped at all, which I was actually expecting. It's actually a bit lighter than expected. I'm currently running with all the eq stuff disengaged, but I will probably try out the bass boost soon. The bass is very accurate, but the transients are definitely not quite as clear down there as they are on my opals, but it is worth pointing out that bass and transient response is probably the most impressive thing about the opals to me.

As far as crossover points, i ran a gentle band pass filter at each point while listening to some tunes, and flipped between the in-8's and my opals. I couldn't hear any artifacts there. And really, I feel like there's no such a thing as a safe place for a crossover lol... but I hear what you're saying.

I've also listened to mixes of my stuff that I had to revise due to translation problems from the opals, and from what I'm hearing, the kali's are much less forgiving in the mids. They are very good at revealing muddiness in the mids and uppers mids. The low mids are definitely less present than the opals, and as a result these definitely have a less weighty feel. So I would say these are definitely on the "mid forward" side, but definitely not to the point of sounding hyped.

As I hinted at earlier, the area that the opals are most clearly superior in is transient detail. But it must be said, I've never really personally heard a speaker with transient detail like the opals. But honestly that's not a big deal to me because all the subtle transient stuff is lost when you listen on any consumer device anyway. Now I guess your preference could come down to your mixing philosophy, but personally, I don't like ultra clinical monitors so much. These do sound a bit more like a speaker.

So yea, I'm actually super impressed that these hold up to my opals in any regards. I have a button rigged to toggle between my monitors, and there were a couple of times where I couldn't tell which pair was which. Pretty impressive.

EDIT:
Ah yes... there is a hiss. From my mixing position about 4 feet away, I have to stop and think about it to hear it, but I can definitely see it erking some people. Doesn't bother me at all though.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you for your review. Warren Huart also noted the midrangey sound, he said they reminded him of NS10 just not nearly as strong. That's something I was happy to hear. He didn't say anything else, just polite "I like them" since the Kali guy was sitting right there with him.

But from that video it wasn't clear if these are in fact a huge step up from LP6 which are almost 1/3 the price.

What other monitors did you own and can you compare them to anything else you had before? Monitors like these are a very niche product and it's incredibly hard to get any reviews on them, so you'll probably be GS main source of information on them for a while, no pressure on you at all.

Also, you said "The opals just sound more free of tiny resonant frequencies than the in-8's. " Did you mean that Kalis have better transient response? I read somewhere on GS a user complained that Opals made everything sound too good by smoothing things out too much (which is nice for listening but not so much for mixing details) How do you feel about it now that you spent some more time with them?
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Thank you for your review. Warren Huart also noted the midrangey sound, he said they reminded him of NS10 just not nearly as strong. That's something I was happy to hear. He didn't say anything else, just polite "I like them" since the Kali guy was sitting right there with him.

But from that video it wasn't clear if these are in fact a huge step up from LP6 which are almost 1/3 the price.

What other monitors did you own and can you compare them to anything else you had before? Monitors like these are a very niche product and it's incredibly hard to get any reviews on them, so you'll probably be GS main source of information on them for a while, no pressure on you at all.

Also, you said "The opals just sound more free of tiny resonant frequencies than the in-8's. " Did you mean that Kalis have better transient response? I read somewhere on GS a user complained that Opals made everything sound too good by smoothing things out too much (which is nice for listening but not so much for mixing details) How do you feel about it now that you spent some more time with them?

Haha, that GS user complaining of the overly forgiving quality of the Opals could very well have been me.

There are a couple of things about them that make them not ideal for mixing to me. I feel like they are voiced almost opposite of NS-10's. I say this owning both opals and ns-10s. For the type of folks who hate NS-10's, the opals are probably great. I'm one of the crazy people that actually likes the sound of ns-10s. I'm not sure if it's the way my ears are structured, the systems I listened to as a kid, or just not having a refined enough ear for mixing, but I don't do well on a speaker that doesn't sound "crowded" when the mix isn't working. The opals always sound "spacious" to me. I think that it is because the upper mids are indeed scooped to some degree.

Now, they are scooped in a very gentle and smooth way, but after comparing them to several monitors at one time or another, I'm pretty confident that they are recessed in the.. i dunno 600-5000 hz range? Conversely, 8k and up, and 200 hz and down are definitely a bit exaggerated, which results in flattering things too much for my taste. I always get surprises in translation when I mix on them primarily. I end up having to do most stuff on the NS-10's with a sub. Now, it must be said that the opals are a very beautiful sounding speaker. I mean really gorgeous. The soundstage is the best I've ever heard, the transient detail is the best I've ever heard, and the bass is the best I've ever heard on a two way speaker (by miles). They really have to be heard to be believed.

Now I like the NS-10's but they are not ideal. A little too exaggerated in the upper mids, and far from full range. So, that's why I was looking for something else. I became interested in 3 ways because over the years I've realized that the mids is where all the magic happens.

I also saw the video you're referring to where Warren Huart was saying "I like them!" and it was a bit disconcerting lol. Like, he obviously wasn't totally bowled over, plus who knows what kind of deal he's got going on behind the scenes there... definitely something.

Anyway, I can see why he compared them to the NS-10's. I would say they are nowhere near that level of imbalance, but they do have a hint of that flavor. They also remind me a bit of the focal sound, which I think is mid forward. My friend has some focal twin be, and I can say the Kali's are voiced not unlike them.

I have my very old pair of fostex PM-1's and a friend has some KRK rockit 8's that I hear pretty regularly, and I will say that the Kali's don't have the same obviously budget sound that those monitors do. The kali's just sound more flat, to be honest.

Let me unpack the statement:
"The opals just sound more free of tiny resonant frequencies than the in-8'"

I've got a little theory brewing in my head. You know the ol "sweep and destroy" eq technique that every youtube video tries to convince noobz is the secret mixing weapon? Those tiny little resonant frequencies that make something sound ugly? I feel like a very "good" sounding speaker, will have less of those narrow q oddities, because those are the things that sound ugliest to our ears.

However, you can have none of that, and still have vastly different overall tone (think broad eq curves).

So, what I'm saying is that, while the Opals are void of little harsh frequency anomalies, the overall tone of the kali's is more to my liking. However, the Kali's do sound a bit more "ugly" which I would probably guess is because of having more small scale peaks and valleys... I'm just talking out of my rear here, but hopefully there's some truth to it.

Now.. my speculation on the difference between these and the 2 ways.. well, I feel like a 2 way would be hard pressed to have this level of clarity in the top and bottom while maintaining the maintain clear mids. I also have a mixcube, and really the mids on this thing are comparable. They have that same very solid feel. I don't know how to describe it, but I feel like it's something I've been wanting for a long time. Now I'm just wishing I could hear those dang LYD 48's.

I will be putting these things through their paces in the coming weeks. Got a couple of projects I think I will mix on these and the ns10's. Will post more thoughts at some point, I reckon.
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I will be putting these things through their paces in the coming weeks. Got a couple of projects I think I will mix on these and the ns10's. Will post more thoughts at some point, I reckon.
Great post, thank you. Please keep this thread updated.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search