The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MAAT thEQorange
Old 13th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann T View Post

And here comes the accident: Due to a very high workload ... etc etc... Despite it being my responsibility as the CEO .... etc etc ..... “No pre-ringing” is basically bull****, please excuse us for the release of this wrong information.
There are TWO quite serious 'accidents' here:

The first is dragging the names of:
Dr. Hatje (the DSP programmer)
Dr. Musialik (the DSP algorithm architect)
Bob Katz and Oliver into your apology.

That's disgraceful.

The second is not explaining how your company originated the lie in the first place...... I'm going to assume it wasn't your good friend Bob Katz.

CEO .....?

Time to consider your position after you issue a public apology to:
Bob Katz and Oliver.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by XARC Mastering View Post

P.S.: Sorry, not going to happen that I demo it, just saw that when clicking try out:
"MAAT’s thEQ line requires a 3-Series CmStick USB dongle and the current software framework from Wibu Systems."

I am neither purchasing a CmStick USB dongle to DEMO a plug-in, nor am I going to install the crappy Wibu Systems software that uses kernel mode drivers to hook and redirect system calls and can basically do everything it wants with these kernel permissions on my DAW.
Stop spreading falsehoods about Wibu. A system you no knowledge about. That is very misleading and irresponsible. I have been running a CM stick for ten plus years without issue ever.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
There are TWO quite serious 'accidents' here:

The first is dragging the names of:
Bob Katz and Oliver into your apology.

That's disgraceful.

The second is not explaining how your company originated the lie in the first place...... I'm going to assume it wasn't your good friend Bob Katz.

CEO .....?

Time to consider your position after you issue a public apology to:
Bob Katz and Oliver.
All he said was that those guys wrote the original algorithms. He also said the original misinformation on the website was all his fault, apologised and admitted there is pre ringing.
Old 13th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
All he said was that those guys wrote the original algorithms. He also said the original misinformation on the website was all his fault, apologised and admitted there is pre ringing.
What he has said is that he didn't make the time to check the accuracy of his companies claim as he was too busy.

What he HAS DONE is name four individuals (three of them by christian name and surname) and 'include' them within his response having been discovered making fraudulent claims about a commercially available product.

Personally I find this both shocking...... and refreshing !
Old 13th January 2019
Quote:
Stop spreading falsehoods about Wibu. A system you no knowledge about. That is very misleading and irresponsible. I have been running a CM stick for ten plus years without issue ever.
Sorry, but you are the one with no clue about Wibu. Many people are running Windows 10 without felt issues, just that most of their data is being sent to Microsoft in the background. Get my point? I have analyzed many Wibu copy protected plugins in the past and recently and the Wibu kernel driver interrupts tons of system calls and hooks many Windows APIs and replaces it with their own + phones home with all that collected data to Wibu as well as a network sniffer showed. Have you ever looked in-depth what this thing is doing to your system + network traffic with some kernel debugger or network sniffer? I doubt that, because otherwise you would not have made that post. That is the very reason such a "copy protection" (rather a system hijacker) will never make it onto my system. If you have to post something in terms of your own analysis instead of making a naive post about that it has worked for you for 10 years without even knowing which "price" you really paid for that, let me know.

Last edited by XARC Mastering; 13th January 2019 at 09:06 PM..
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

It might be the best digital eq out there but I’m not buying it for this gigantically high price and I’m not going to buy a dongle exclusively for this EQ so I can test it. I think if they would have picked iLok as the copy protection, they could have reached probably at least hundred times the amount of potential customers. And at €299 (still a premium price) that amount would probably also multiply a hundred times, if not much more.

100 x 100 = 10.000 just saying
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Classifying Ferraris and French wine as supreme superior products is an indication that this company is not trying to rip people off. They just don't know any better.
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Addict

Ferraris are for people who need to make up for short dongles
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

(rant on) get a grip folks and stop whining about price and dongle! either you like the gear or you don't, either you can afford it or you don't, either you can cope with what you consider to be issues or you cannot - if not, go see a shrink or rob a bank (or both) but pls get off this thread! (rant off)

i'd rather like to read about your experience using the the plugin - i have mine installed for ages (the original algorithmix version) and use it (occasionally) if not sending signals through (digital) hardware while mastering...
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by XARC Mastering View Post
Sorry, but you are the one with no clue about Wibu. Many people are running Windows 10 without felt issues, just that most of their data is being sent to Microsoft in the background. Get my point? I have analyzed many Wibu copy protected plugins in the past and recently and the Wibu kernel driver interrupts tons of system calls and hooks many Windows APIs and replaces it with their own + phones home with all that collected data to Wibu as well as a network sniffer showed. Have you ever looked in-depth what this thing is doing to your system + network traffic with some kernel debugger or network sniffer? I doubt that, because otherwise you would not have made that post. That is the very reason such a "copy protection" (rather a system hijacker) will never make it onto my system. If you have to post something in terms of your own analysis instead of making a naive post about that it has worked for you for 10 years without even knowing which "price" you really paid for that, let me know.
I am not aware of that. Those are very bold claims you make, however you didn't provide any facts and evidence. Unless you can provide us with your sources or at least some data, this will just be rumour and baseless misinformation.
Old 15th January 2019
Quote:
I am not aware of that. Those are very bold claims you make, however you didn't provide any facts and evidence. Unless you can provide us with your sources or at least some data, this will just be rumour and baseless misinformation.
This is nothing bold, you can just verify that on your own like I did. Download yourself a kernel debugger or process tracer, for example Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs and go ahead and trace the Wibu driver + hooks and see it yourself. I surely WON`T install this thing once more to my system for that exact reason.

Last edited by XARC Mastering; 15th January 2019 at 08:52 PM..
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Isnt trials suppose to be free?! Isnt that the purpose of trials?
Buying a dongle for the price of an (there are really excellent EQ:s for that price) EQ, to try out ans get 5% of price...
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
Buying a dongle for the price of an (there are really excellent EQ:s for that price) EQ, to try out ans get 5% of price...
I guess if you're happy to (possibly) buy a $1000 plugin, a $50 dongle is peanuts.

And if you don't end up buying the plugin, you can always use the dongle to fix a wobbly table!
Old 18th January 2019
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
When your plugin costs almost 1 grand, the trial can't be free. There is not enough prestigious on that.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
When your plugin costs almost 1 grand, the trial can't be free. There is not enough prestigious on that.
Haha! That is true, that is true!
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I guess if you're happy to (possibly) buy a $1000 plugin, a $50 dongle is peanuts.

And if you don't end up buying the plugin, you can always use the dongle to fix a wobbly table!
And that in Itself is worth the price of admission! The wobbly table, suppose we owe them a thanks for the opportunity to fix out tables! :P
Old 18th January 2019
Wait it's a plugin lmaooooo
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

There is a subscription option now. $119 a year.

I would try it now, but the Wibu Dongle is still a no-no.
Old 25th January 2019
$119 / year for ONE EQ that has not even proven to do what they promise, they are getting more ridiculous every day:-)
Old 25th January 2019
pho
Here for the gear
Good move, I'll have a try on it under these circumstances.

There's a thEQblue and theEQred announcement on their website now, as well.

How about getting Steve Slate stearing this pirate ship and having a MAAT "everything bundle"? I'm in for the Split-Comp, which is hopefully in development already? ;-)
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Addict

Is there some audio/video demo of this EQ?
Old 27th January 2019
No, not at all, and most likely for a reason.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

It would be really interesting to hear what this EQ actually does along with a walkthrough of the features.

Kinda stupid to market your product backed by decade old quotes, marketing buzzwords and zero demonstration of how it will be useful and appealing to your potential customers beyond "It's the best guys, trust us and you will see the light". I would likely subscribe for a year to try it out seeing as it would cost 70 dollars for that first year, not the worst decision to make if the EQ is truly next level and worth paying full price for. Not that I have the cash now or will do in the next few years for a single EQ, but it might encourage me to save up for it... That and I've just bought Crave EQ which is beautiful and sounds as great as I need a digital EQ to sound. Less than £50.

But as it is, there's nothing to go on with thEQorange.

Why?
Old 27th January 2019
It would be so simple for them to back their claims by simply putting up a video with drums (sharp attack sounds), boosting the 400Hz range by +18 dB, then demonstrate how this does not create any pre-ringing/echo and still keep the phase 100% (enough analyzers out there for that too). Maybe even compare it to other popular LP equalizers with the exact same boost settings and show how those create ugly pre-ringing/echo and their´s doesn´t. That would take like 15 minutes to make such a video? At that price that should be possible to be done by them? Yet nothing than marketing BS on their site.
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

Old 28th January 2019
Thanks for that. It proves this thing just pre-rings / pre-echos like any other LP EQ. Check the video at this time:

6:25

and even more obvious here:

14:42

If he shifts back to the drums playing without any EQ interaction (or just slight boosts/cuts), you can hear how sharp the drums really are without the EQ. And this is how any other LP EQ behave too. You can just test this by downloading the YouTube Video via convert2mp3.net - Online Video converter - Youtube and then applying your own LP EQ (regardless which) with the same boost to the same section/loop before he activates the EQ in the video. MaaT wasn´t able to trick physics (who would have thought that?), they´ve just been able to trick sellers into buying an overpriced LP EQ that uses an intrusive copy-protection and has no advantage over other LP EQs that come much cheaper and with a much better interface.

Last edited by XARC Mastering; 31st January 2019 at 01:58 AM..
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

To be honest, with those 2 examples you mentioned XARC, this has worse preringing on sharp transients than almost any other linear phase EQs I've tried, even SmartEQ2 from Sonible performs better and that still has obvious preringing.

This is just crazy now, asking for almost a grand on faith that their claims hold true to this LP EQ being without equal. To paraphrase the website description;

"thEQorange is different. By applying advanced theory to the problem of EQ color, we have created a highly complex algorithm that eliminates audible pre–echo and post–echo to the highest degree, and offers constant group delay at all frequencies. No audible echo to blur transient detail, and no temporal stretching or smearing across the audio passband due to differential delaying of frequencies as you find with conventional IIR–based equalizers.
Bottom line: no color."

That video clearly demonstrates that these claims are simply not true, there really is pre-echo for one. I'm not qualified to judge much else there but it still sounds 100% like a linear phase EQ when working with transient-heavy material and although I'm sure it is of extremely high quality overall, so are many of the much cheaper options (like Crave EQ) with their own characteristics of purity... Crave has much greater flexibility even, in sound and in development with the developer being comitted to improving it, implementing user requests with enthusiasm. I doubt that anything will be done past initial presentation with this EQ.

I absolutely LOVE the RSPhaseShifter from MAAT though, that thing is simply beautiful and was a worthy purchase. Their support is good too as I have had to wipe my computer twice now and forgot both times to deregister the licence from the computer. They replied promptly to my emails and got me up and running smoothly each time with fresh licenses.

All in all, I can now rest easy knowing that I simply do not need this tool in my life. I pretty much never use linear phase EQ anyway but this piqued my interest with the claim that it had virtually no discernible pre-ring and would thus be suitable for the hard transients of electronic dance music.

Phew!
Old 28th January 2019
Old 28th January 2019
@ V4nger : Yes, not much to add and not even worth to discuss this further, it´s simply a complete fail in all aspects. As for their RSPhaseShifter, no need for it, just use MFreeformPhase | MeldaProduction it´s free and does not only work on one frequency, but you can phase shift ANY frequency by any amount you wish by simply drawing it in.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search