The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SKnote announce R200 - Physical model of a "rotating speakers" guitar amp
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

SKnote announce R200 - Physical model of a "rotating speakers" guitar amp

This is quite unique: a physical model of an unique guitar amplifier, known by a few guitarists and heard in some extremely famous songs (e.g. from Pink Floyd), with its complex combination of amplitude modulation, phasing, chorusing, pitch shifting.

Input signal is split in low and high frequency ranges. While the low range is diffused through a fixed speaker, the high range is sent to three independently rotating speakers.

We modeled its electronics and physics, adding a few details like continuous control on speed and spacing and distance of the pair of microphones (that, being this effect based on phased, positions and speeds, heavily affects the overall effect).

This is being released as VST/AU/Win/Mac/32/64 bit plugin and then as a standalone hardware (digital) unit, too.

MSRP 39.99$ (with a special launch price of 29.99$).

Beta is available. If you are interested in testing, please send an email to mirko at sknoteaudio dot com, possibly including "R200" in the subject. We are also offering a full license if you can send us an usable audio demo.
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Nut

Quinto.. Quintino... what are you doing? this is crazy! you take 100 lbs cabinet and squeeze it into a plugin. Mamma mia!

you crazy ragazzo.. Quintino. I don't know what to say. oh gods! oh mighty Jupiter!

Don't tell Davide about this. he hid his RA-200 in a dark closet many years ago, because he didn't want to drag this 100 lbs monstrosity across the planet anymore.

but if you let him know there is a compact version.. versione compatta, you know? mamma mia, David Gilmour will call Roger Waters and get on speaking terms again!

we may get Pink Floyd reunion because of you, Quinto.

Naaah, we're not getting Floyd reunion anyway, this was simply a cruel joke by me, I'm such a cruel assholito.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

It would be nice, wouldn't it? :D
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Nut

well, I don't know. it depends on how long it would take Roger to start chasing David across the studio room with Precision bass in his hand, reaching for David's head.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Sad but true.

When they said something like "We were working to be rich and famous. Once achieved, what else? Inspiration gone".
Probably related to this.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Must remember to check "new products" forum now your here Q!
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Test version out now. If you sent a message to be part of the tests you'll find the VST/AU in your personal page.

Don't overlook the product page for a few details!

R200 - Product Page
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Nut

Great, great, great!
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Ok, after some shared use we decided to add an internal tube-amplifier (which is so important for the final effect, also because controls the extreme dynamics somehow) and we are very close to the release.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Nut

I invite guitar players in particular to request a beta version of R200.

Put it on a parallel track, add saturation before R200 (you may just slap freeware Ferric TDS), mix "wet" fader to taste > thank me later.

If you're looking for a great stereo space and movement, in order to liven up your mono tracks, R200 is the way to go.

This thing is seriously overlooked. It's a rare piece of gear now, once employed by David Gilmour to make his guitar sound 3-dimensional.

Leave your impressions here, lets have a discussion.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Nut

Love this thing on cleans as well. Strat through a clean combo, saturation and R200 on parallel, sending to a lush plate. Delicious.

Instant "Shine On".

This thing just swirls and swirls for days. There's a mystery and magic to its sound. I'm loving it!
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

A message to all the kids saying "I hate maths, can't stand physics". There should be something like this for maths and physics at school

Are you a sad professor who lose his faith? Call us, we'll happily spend a day in a classroom :D
Old 1st November 2018
Gear Nut

Yeah, if only we studied modeling RA-200 and Echorec, amps, cabs, guitar pedals and all that stuff, I'd love my physics and maths classes forever.

But it wasn't the case.. It wasn't nearly as fun, that's for sure.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear
I’m hoping this can get sounds that are similar to the long-discontinued Revolver guitar amp/cabinet by Mesa-Boogie (1990s?).

The best sound I ever got out of that cabinet was by placing two small diaphragm omnidirectional condensers, one on either side of the cab. I used B&K 4006s, but I would assume any similar mic would do. Hopefully you can include a similar option, mic wise. I will see if I can post an example.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Nut

It should get you in a similar ballpark, it certainly gets you in the same ballpark as these fellas.

Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

The physics inside this one are working great so Leslie, Doppola and such will follow

Yes, R200 already uses a couple of mics.

R200 is still announced but not released because we understood some saturation was an important part of the whole so we are extending it, then releasing it to the open world.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Nut

Leslie 122 and 147 are common, but it's almost impossible to get your hands on Doppola.

Speakers you see in the video were custom made by Tolerance Sound ten years ago, since then are no longer made.

Gilmour's Doppolas were custom built by his guitar tech. They are a recreation of Maestro Rover rotating speaker from 1960's, first used for guitar by Jimi Hendrix on "Little Wing", 1967.

Quote:
One musician who appreciated the Rover was David Gilmour. Since the early days of Pink Floyd, Gilmour used a Leslie 147 on “The Narrow Way” from 1969’s Ummagumma. For 1973’s Dark Side of the Moon, it’s variously reported that he used either a Maestro, Leslie 900, a Univox Uni-Vibe pedal – or perhaps all three. He then adopted Yamaha’s RA-200 rotating speaker, combined with his Hiwatt amps, for Animals in 1977 and The Wall in 1979, specifically on the solo in “Comfortably Numb.”

During sessions for 1994’s The Division Bell, Gilmour used the Maestro Rover. When the Floyd toured the album, he toted along three sets of custom rotating-speaker cabinets called Doppolas, built from Maestro Rovers by his techs, Phil Taylor and Paul Leader, and using a pair of similar rotating 6″ speakers with concert-worthy 100-watt drivers. Gilmour ran them in tandem with his stationary 4×12 speaker cabs.

On songs such as the instrumental “Marooned,” Gilmour’s prolific use of the vibrato, bent notes, and the whirling Rover combine to create an ethereal mood with echoes and waves of sound playing against each other.
Old 10th November 2018
Gear Nut

A small, but comprehensive article by Bjorn Riis on David's use of rotating speakers

Leslies, Doppolas and Rovers |

David experimented with lots of them. Leslie 147 / 760 / 900, Maestro Rover, Yamaha RA-200, Doppolas. His new studio features a modern Leslie G27.

Eternal quest in search of that "space" in his guitar sound.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
So, where is it?

/Joachim
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quinto, please post some news about R200 and let them be amazing news
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

The tedious wait is killing me. C'mon, Quinto, tell us something! Or better, show us!
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Nut

Has anyone seen Quintino alive in the last few days?
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Nut

we need an update on this one, captain Quint !
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Nut

have captain Quint abandoned the ship?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

what's the latest on R200 ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search