The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC electronic introduces DRV250-DT
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Maniac

TC electronic introduces DRV250-DT

Surprised nobody's talking about this baby ...

DVR250-DT | Desktop Controllers | Computer Audio | TC Electronic | Categories | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic)
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Maniac
YUP+1 on that did not see this coming, I thought the 2290 was a "one off" so it looks like a series very slick.
Would be nice if the models coud be daisy chained, if the make more at this price point you can run out of USB ports pretty quickly.

Last edited by eqverb; 18th September 2018 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: .
Old 19th September 2018
t_d
Lives for gear

really liking this line from TC... may have to pick this up. i'm all for the hardware control.... (as long the plug in sounds great, which this seems to)... hope to see more in this line from TC.
Old 19th September 2018
Is there a demo without the controller available?
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Is there a demo without the controller available?
I'm afraid there's not such a thing for this new line of products ! But this algo seems to be a cut down from the dvr2/system 6000 one, refined to fit the exact sound of the emt 250. Sounds great in the vids !
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

How stupid... they did this with their new 2290 plugin, too

What? Am I supposed to have a different controller for each tc product? Stupid
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

I have to admit, they look really cool in the pictures, though... must try to r-e-s-i-s-t.

Glad I got the VSS3 before they started doing this, too (not to mention VSR S24, UAD EMT 250 and PSP EMT 2445).
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

It sounds really sweet in the demos. I think it is a weird interface with those wiggle switches, but it might be genius. Is it the same reverb algos as in the DVR2 TDM plugin? I still miss that one from my TDM days... I guess you will be forced to connect the hardware to get the software to work as with the delay box, I guess. That is stupid, I think, and many with me, but it seems to make sense to the people at TC... How much will it cost?? Same as the delay?
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Head

I followed the TC 2290 DT thread as well and was somewhat surprised by the nay-sayers to the hardware controller.
You can work for 14 days with the plugin, every time the controller was connected. Fair enough. It even counts back
visually so no surprises either.
As I do like the shape of musical instruments, which sometimes not serve the sound in any way, I like the
hardware face of the 2290. I think it's old skool sexy, and reassuring to clients (...)
Not to mention it's fun to press buttons.
In Europe the 2290 DT is going for 199€ now.
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Head

p.s.

TC Electronic and Uli Behringer, if you're reading this thread, you may consider an small DSP box in Pedal-form with stereo in- & outputs, which
could run any of these plugins. Im sure, you have more classics in the pipeline based on this platform. Guitarists and Synthgeeks would love
a standalone usage of these classics. The dual empty threads on the bottom of the controller do have a vision, right?
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueberschall View Post
In Europe the 2290 DT is going for 199€ now.
where?
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
where?
Take a look at the -big- usual suspects or simply google
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

I saw it that cheap at gear4music, but I never bought from them. At Thomann it was more like 400 €....
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

How can a cheapie usb controller be reassuring to clients?

That’s weird

I think among a wide segment of bedroom studio guys having this “gear” on their desk may be reassuring... but, that’s more sad than it is interesting.

Also, tc doesn’t have the best record of long term commitment to this sort of tech. Although, maybe they’re banking on a couple of things. (A) pro users that got screwed by tc aren’t buying these new boxes and (b) the bedroom amateur doesn’t know anything about tc’s history

It’s a dumb idea... it’d be a slightly less dumb idea if the boxes had dsp...
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I saw it that cheap at gear4music, but I never bought from them. At Thomann it was more like 400 €....
Thank you!

I search on the site but nothing about DVR250... Also Googled and nothing, culd you share a link please?

Best,
Daniel.
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
where?
He said 2290 DT and that was what I saw.

TC Electronic TC 2290-DT Digital Delay Plug-In mit Desktop-Schnittstelle bei Gear4music
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
How can a cheapie usb controller be reassuring to clients?

That’s weird

I think among a wide segment of bedroom studio guys having this “gear” on their desk may be reassuring... but, that’s more sad than it is interesting.

It’s a dumb idea... it’d be a slightly less dumb idea if the boxes had dsp...
To the usual customer of a project studio it looks more serious than just the macbook pro on the desk, the usual customer owns him or herself.
It may be small, but the looks and haptics of the controller are pro.

Why paint it so black and white with an adjective like "dumb"?
It's a nice extra which gives relevant info and access. If you don't like
it, just get it out of a drawer for 10 seconds every 14 days.
And who knows, that DSP may be offered in the near future.
I know lots of musicians who payed 200€ on a plugin without hardware "benefits"..
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Never heard of musicstore.de or justmusic.de?
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
To the usual customer of a project studio it looks more serious than just the macbook pro on the desk, the usual customer owns him or herself.
It may be small, but the looks and haptics of the controller are pro.

Why paint it so black and white with an adjective like "dumb"?
It's a nice extra which gives relevant info and access. If you don't like
it, just get it out of a drawer for 10 seconds every 14 days.
And who knows, that DSP may be offered in the near future.
I know lots of musicians who payed 200€ on a plugin without hardware "benefits"..
What are you even saying? So, instead of just a laptop a client gets to see a laptop and a usb box?

These boxes will never also have dsp AND if it’s like their 2290 you can’t change any settings in the plugin without the box.

Yeah... I have plenty of plugins that cost more but none require me to have a box to manipulate... that’s a good thing.... plugins don’t break... cheapie plastic usb boxes do.

It seems like tc is just revisiting their own topology... knock yourself out
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
What are you even saying? So, instead of just a laptop a client gets to see a laptop and a usb box?

These boxes will never also have dsp AND if it’s like their 2290 you can’t change any settings in the plugin without the box.

Yeah... I have plenty of plugins that cost more but none require me to have a box to manipulate... that’s a good thing.... plugins don’t break... cheapie plastic usb boxes do.

It seems like tc is just revisiting their own topology... knock yourself out
You are so on top of the game..
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
2290:

Seemed like that price at Thomann's international site, too... $350 ($349 - $349.99) everywhere in the US according to google shopping.

Like $230 plus currency conversion and fees shipped from T-mann to the US... making me think about it, for sure.

Wonder if it will come down similarly or more here?

DVR250: $350 preorder at Sweatwater... haven't looked further, yet.

I'd go like $350 for both shipped... the sure deal right now is $580 for both... or $400 to $460 if the reverb comes down like the delay.

Eh... I can probably talk myself out of these at more than the $350 mentioned for both... again, they sure do look cool together, though.

5.3" X 4.3" front panel, by the way... some taller than 3U: eurorack and frac, and about 22 hp wide for those into baby modular (sorry... har).
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
2290:

Seemed like that price at Thomann's international site, too... $350 ($349 - $349.99) everywhere in the US according to google shopping.

Like $230 plus currency conversion and fees shipped from T-mann to the US... making me think about it, for sure.

5.3" X 4.3" front panel, by the way... some taller than 3U: eurorack and frac, and about 22 hp wide for those into baby modular (sorry... har).

When visiting the earlier mentioned shops from an IP within Europe, the price for the 2290 DT is 199€
The musicstore.de in Cologne has a monthly rebate code which give you -10€ and most probably can be googled. 189€ is -very- reasonable.

While there are 2 threads at the back of the controller which seems to be there to connect something, I can imagine, TC/Behringer will offer something like a backpack to make it stand alone. Would be very cool and broaden the market for these 2290 and EMT250 emulations enormously.
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, I have heard of most of them. I started buying gear in Germany in the mid 80s. Then I had to actually go there and one store I remember was Amptown in Hamburg. I have bought from several German online shops, but mostly from Thomann, who are a household name in Sweden.
Old 24th November 2018
available in januari it said on the Thomann page. price is 199 euros (that's including 21% VAT).
waiting for better demo video/audio, but I like what I've heard so far.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
The controllers are just a method of copy protection. But since they don't support there older hardware, will never go there. Lot's of M5000 boat anchors out there.
Old 20th May 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Just heard of this from a review on MixbusTV. Sounds great from the demos and £175 seems pretty good value to me for that sound. Has anyone bought and used one? Would be interested to know what you think.

Plugin alone, what’s the TC’s closest sounding VST equivalent? Valhalla Vintageverb?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
I have this plugin on my Powercore 6000.

Also have the UAD 250 and it sounds a lot better to my ears than the TC version of the 250.

The UAD EMT 250 sounds denser and combines with the original signal in a more convincing way.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru
FWIW SKNote makes Rev250 also...... Don't know how stacks up!.....Does sound good tho.....
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Plugin alone, what’s the TC’s closest sounding VST equivalent? Valhalla Vintageverb?
Would like to hear more about this too. The demos sound great, but I'm not into the controller thing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search