The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD X coming soon ... ?
Old 31st August 2018
Gear Maniac

UAD X coming soon ... ?

Hey everyone ...

just got the GS Newsletter and that little UAD X that is supposedly coming soon got me interested.

Does anybody know anything yet?

Is this just a more complete UAD X software bundle or is there finally new hardware coming along the way?

Exciting.

Yours,

Jonathan
Old 31st August 2018
Yes I just came on to see if there was any more info...having said that judging by the image depressingly it looks like it could just be a software bundle...
Old 31st August 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Drop the need for hardware to run the plugins and im in!
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Yeah, we have Threadrippers and i9s for plugins. Better to reserve the PCI bus for m.2s.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

So long as this does not mean the end of UAD2 platform, I'm interested. If this means an entire new/but more of the same of interfaces and same plugins "upgraded" and abandoned support for UAD2 hardware and software..well, I dunno.
If it is a new platform of hardware and said plugins to lure in the "shiny-new-is-better-more money-than-sense" buyers than fair enough.
Worked a charm for Harley Davidson and Gibson Les Paul retailers separating over employed middle aged guys from their money.
I think most UAD users know what they have is always going to be more than enough of a great thing and any forced redundancy of existing hardware or plugins will be met with users happily plodding along with what they have.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
Yeh I would be very surprised if that was putting UAD2 to bed.. i guess it would also spell the end of my support for the company, and perhaps many.

As an invested user I’d like to see the system open up to add host processing to whatever cores you already have. Also more MKII plugins.

Hopefully it’s not just V.10 and more guitar amp sims, pure plate style plugs and basic channel strips, as the last few releases have been.

But previewing rather than just dropping this release would indicate something bigger in the pipeline.

Fingers X UA are listening to the users and aren’t planning any kind of obscilesence
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Dropping UAD2 would surprise me big time esp with all the promotions running recently. That would be quite a hit to the stomach !

I suspect this to be an update to the ultimate bundle to be more complete than the current V9. Fairly straightforward I guess.

Once UAD opens up to host CPU things will get really interesting. But that is a very old song to sing ... :D
Old 1st September 2018
I think it will be native UAD
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
I think it will be native UAD

I'd buy that for a dollar
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah it could be just software.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

1. They should allow their plugins to run natively.
2. This should be in addition to running on UAD2.
3. Eventhough the power of UAD2 is limited compared to modern CPUs, it’s relative power increases as buffers decrease, meaning it’s most effective “on the way in”.
4. I don’t expect them to launch a new generation of DSP hardware since the offering from their current supplier is just a dual core of the UAD2 chip, porting to yet another platform would be an R&D nightmare. But they could do it and UAD X could be it.
5. With powerful multi core chips being the norm in even laptops, UA have to ask themselves if DSPs really offer that much benefits over drawbacks.
If a user can opt to upgrade their processor for 200 bucks to be able to run at least an UAD2 octo worth of extra plugins at lowest buffer.
6. Lowest recording buffer native performance used to be the main problem why DSP systems increased stability and use ability. My 8 year old Mac Pro 3.33 6 core can stably run at 96k 64 sample buffer, the amount of plugins (vertigo or maag) that an UAD2 octo can run at 44.1. My 2014 2.8GHz quad core can stably run two octos worth. Similarly specced modern machines will perform 30-50% better?

Yeah.
Open it up to native WHILE still allowing for DSP operation and we’ll all be happy, no?
I certainly won’t be buying their plugins UNLESS they can run natively.
It’s 2018, enough with schlepping boxes Around unnecessarily.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Nut

The will never ever make native plugins.
Why should people buy than high price plugins when all the native plugins are cracked.
So you see the logic behind that!!

It would be cool if you have all plugins for 49$ per month.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Pavilion,

That’s the worst excuse to continue with DSP systems there is.
I have no idea why so many UAD users repeat it. It’s really quite bizarre.
In all of the plugin developer world hat would make UA potentially the only one. Please... I don’t buy it for a second.
Old 1st September 2018
1. Make UAD native and DSP.
2. Make the plugs take up gobs of CPU.
3. Makes people buy more cores because now everyone has at least a few UAD plugs.
4. Make a 10 core card.
5. Sell it like hot cakes.
6. Remove the native aspect.

New Coke
Old 2nd September 2018
Universal audio has some new powered plugin models and more power for your dollar.

That’s my guess. Hopefully it’s a bit cooler than that.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Then they replace their hardware with ilok and the complainers and whiners will still complain & whine
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilon View Post
Why should people buy than high price plugins when all the native plugins are cracked.
I never seen in last 10 years one plugin cracked that uses E-licenser ...
Old 2nd September 2018
MGA
Gear Addict

FPGA people... FPGA
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

UAD X likely not gonna be native...

For those hoping that UAD X was maybe gonna be native...

A recent response from a UA person in another thread running in Music Computers sort of tipped the answer to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
He can simply ignore Console and use the A16 as you would any interface (Apogee Symphony for example). Keep your buffer low and monitor through the DAW. Apollo’s are no different than any other native setup in this regard.

Of course you’ll have to deal with the latency and CPU issues that every native DAW does.
Old 2nd September 2018
MGA
Gear Addict

I think the answer is in the Hardware Test Engineer's job description currently advertised on the UA website.

Universal Audio Jobs

FPGA is coming to UAD.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
I think the answer is in the Hardware Test Engineer's job description currently advertised on the UA website.

Universal Audio Jobs

FPGA is coming to UAD.
Nothing more than a rudimentary grasp of FPGA care to elaborate (Just for speculation sake of course) what the implication might be for the USD platform?

* edit - typo UAD not USD .. hopefully the typo wasn’t some kind of dark prophecy of the route they are taking

Last edited by fredouli; 2nd September 2018 at 04:04 PM..
Old 2nd September 2018
Gear Maniac

I effin HATE acronyms - share the knowledge - what does FPGA mean?
Old 2nd September 2018
MGA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
Nothing more than a rudimentary grasp of FPGA care to elaborate (Just for speculation sake of course) what the implication might be for the USD platform?
The Sharc DSP chips in the UAD 2 have been around for quite a while. I see this as a similar move in technology that Avid did with TDM to AAX and Avid certainly didn't collapse went they made the move and I don't see UA suffering either. They are just keeping up with the times if they move in this direction.
Old 2nd September 2018
MGA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Field Programmable Gate Array

Here's a good link outlining the DSP vs FPGA differences:

DSP versus FPGA
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
Anything from analyzing devices to a fully featured UA style Console.
With a MIDI connection probably VST instruments and a tactile control for fully featured guitar racks come to my mind.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe native plugins with Shark copy protection?
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Sharc DSP chips in the UAD 2 have been around for quite a while. I see this as a similar move in technology that Avid did with TDM to AAX and Avid certainly didn't collapse went they made the move and I don't see UA suffering either. They are just keeping up with the times if they move in this direction.
Yeh fully understand the really dated Sharc..
but so far as UAD? The analogy with Avid would suggest the platform using native processing as well? Is this how FGPA is driven?
Old 2nd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Field Programmable Gate Array

Here's a good link outlining the DSP vs FPGA differences:

DSP versus FPGA
Thank you!
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
I don't know, what does GOOGLE stand for?

Field Programmable Gate Array..

That doesn't tell you much more, does it?

An FPGA is a chip used in many interfaces, usually to route audio (implement software input mixing functionality etc).
Recently, they've also been used more to run effects to process audio signals.

They seem to be gaining popularity in favour of DSP chips.

If I were UAD I wouldn't put the R&D into another platform unless they are absolutely sure it will continue to have significant R&D behind it itself, in order to keep up with the development of the Intel architecture.
But obviously, I'm not UA and they've been extremely stubborn with sticking with DSPs so far.

The fact that they are hiring an FPGA engineer, does not necessarily mean they will use FPGAs for processing though. I wouldn't be surprised if FPGAs were already in their interfaces, running the IO. Anyone in the know?

I'll be surprised if they go FPGA for processing, but if they decide to stay with hardware based processing, a move to FPGA makes sense. I just wonder how much R&D it costs to port their stuff to this platform, I'm not even sure it's possible to do so with 100% null. FPGA is a very different beast than DSP as I understand. It basically acts like a circuit board with components (which obviously makes it interesting to mimic hardware), it's not just porting your code to a different language/platform, I'm afraid.
It's possible, but I would guess it's quite the investment to move UAD to FPGA.
They'd better be sure...
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
?

I'll be surprised if they go FPGA for processing, but if they decide to stay with hardware based processing, a move to FPGA makes sense. I just wonder how much R&D it costs to port their stuff to this platform, I'm not even sure it's possible to do so with 100% null. FPGA is a very different beast than DSP as I understand. It basically acts like a circuit board with components (which obviously makes it interesting to mimic hardware), it's not just porting your code to a different language/platform, I'm afraid.
It's possible, but I would guess it's quite the investment to move UAD to FPGA.
They'd better be sure...
UAD 2 TB units could be easily daisy chained with a new base unit. Don´t see a need to port existing plugins. At least not in the near future. Might require a TB 3
equipped computer.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search