The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD X coming soon ... ?
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Subscription plan?

Who the **** wants a subscription plan???

Shelling out each month for something that you cease to own as soon as you stop paying, and you still have to buy hardware just in order to subscribe!

Now there are 1 or 2 companies (I think Slate is one of them?) whereby you buy a bundle 'on subscription' but once you've paid the bundle price, you own it.

In this day and age that's a fair and sensible offer, this is software, remember.

Going native is a dream. As in, unlikely.
There are god knows how many people out there that invested in dsp systems solely to run UAD plugs.
You're going to tell those customers that the hardware they paid hundreds or thousands for is now redundant, effective immediately?
Never going to happen.
Or, it will, but that means the huge hardware upgrade we want to see in terms of dsp power is never going to happen. Perhaps once the current generation reaches a certain age (how long did people have to make do with the original cards before UAD-2 came out?), they will then have a point to make about progress and not supporting old hardware etc in parallel with a new business model.

Someone mentioned only being able to run 4 SSL E strips on a duo.
Honestly, if you have to buy a premium plug like the E channel, and then use 2 chips to run 4 of them, you really should just be getting a 2nd hand Console 1 instead.
£300/$300ish second hand for all the E strips you want plus integrated hardware control for not just the strip, but a whole host of other UAD comps and Eqs as well.

No brainer.

I only have a Duo but Console 1 saves my bacon. Still need a quad though
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Doesn't it seem strange that the leaks were eBay auctions? Extremely odd to me. Hard to know the legitimacy of that. Interested to see what they release regardless.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
No, it was real (I posted it). There's plenty of leaks out there and pulled ebay auctions that were posted accidentally.

Universal Audio Apollo X8 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface | eBay

Universal Audio Apollo X6 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface | eBay
thank you!
so a X8P is on the way too...
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Didn't see they were posted by Alto. Roger that!
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 View Post
Didn't see they were posted by Alto. Roger that!
I mean, unless this is some elaborate fake leak by UA to throw us off the trail, then this is what we're getting. I'd have a good laugh if they were fake though!
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Guess my question on lower RTLs for native plugins makes little sense.
How about latencies for former DSP hungry plugins and plugin chains with UA´s new DSPs?

Would make quite a game changer.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not sure, but I always thought the impressive latency figures of apollo interfaces were only when you use their input monitoring option (console).
So that's only applicable if you don't use plugins on your input channels or only use UAD plugins.

I seem t remember the actual RTL figures of an apollo to be quite mediocre, for a TB interface. So if you want to run native plugins on your input channels as you track, you may get into audible latency zone, depending on your buffer and sample rate.

If you look at the figures of a Quantum or the just released Slate VRS8... Those will definitely give you significantly better latency with tracking with native plugins.

Maybe the new apollos will do better than the old ones in terms of latency, but I don't expect it to be as significant a jump as going to those new low latency native interfaces will be.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

I've been reminded this week that although we all complain (for good reason) about the outdated way UA continues to run their plugins, it's always been extrememly stable for me no matter what I'm running. I bought the waves Abbey Road Chambers plugin for like $20 right when they released it a few weeks ago. It sounds amazing and is quick to work with, but holy hell is it a CPU hog! I've got a maxed out 2014 Macbook Pro, it's not the fastest but it's by no means outdated (it's run like a champ up until this waves plugin), but ONE instance of the chambers plugin has crashed every single session I've tried to put it on. I haven't had that happen with a plugin since like 2004 when the Waves IR reverb would do the same thing. Ridiculous....

So ya, I get all the comparisons to the Slate plugins and what not, but at the same time I've been running solid without any hickups for a long time now on UA hardware and software. Especially with track freezing in ProTools now, it's really easy to keep rolling through sessions when I run out of DSP with the Apollo. Just my 2 cents....
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

UA's posting 9/6 on social media, so it looks like we'll know something tomorrow.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
UA's posting 9/6 on social media, so it looks like we'll know something tomorrow.
On the UAD forum they said 10am pacific to be specific.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear
Tick tock. Gosh UA spends a lot on marketing.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Nut

I'm a simple man. I would only be happy about the fact that all GUIs are updated to a higher resolution (retina) and might get a bit bigger.
Old 6th September 2018
I want a uad synthesizer. Remember when TC Powercore had the Access Virus B?

THAT would bring something new to the table.
Old 6th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I have the 2 gen old version of OCTO ultimate and rarely ever run out of DSP, even with 50 tracks running EQ and compression.

This new update should get a big boost to those using their interfaces. 50% power increase is decent I think, especially when talking real-world usage.
Yeah, but that's two more cores than this. And are you using the newest plugs and pre emulations? They are very taxing.

I want to know that I can run 16 channels of the latest pre emu, latest EQ emu for that pre, Distressors, and the best blue 1176. All at once while I'm tracking.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

i want a good Schulte Compact Phasing and a Yamaha RA 200 R Leslie from UAD.
Old 6th September 2018
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Welp, that's it. The fine print is saying that surround sound compatibility is coming in "Q4 2018", so I guess that's when we'll see a console update. Bummer! Was really hoping for some software as well today. Pretty soft launch, the blackfaces were not really feeling old yet either. This is what I was holding out for, I guess I'll be buying another silver face!
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Addict

sooooo... that's it?
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
sooooo... that's it?
Ya, this sucks... I've been running an Apollo Twin in my studio for a year now, it's been tight a few times but I've gotten away with 10 inputs. I kept holding out and holding out, hoping that UA would actually come out with something new and worth upgrading to. This is a joke quite honestly. A really pointless release, I'm struggling to see how these are a justifiable step up from the black faced units? I'll just grab a quad silverface for really cheap to pair with the Twin and have 6 cores...

These guys are turning into Apple, I hope this isn't part of a trend to start crapping out new stuff ever 2 years because it's expected. Not to mention, it seems like they're even more expensive... I was a "bit" hopeful about the x6 version, as it seemed like a logical expansion for people who already own a Twin. It should have been priced right around $1000 to compete with the Antelope stuff. The prices are getting insane, and the only thing 2 more chips is going to do is allow the 8P users to load 8 of the neve pre's and not completely max out the DSP.

Again, struggling to grasp the significance...
Old 6th September 2018
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search