The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stam Audio - SA4000 MK2
Old 24th July 2018
Company Rep
Stam Audio - SA4000 MK2

Hello Everyone,

We are very happy to introduce the SA4000 MK2 to the forum, the first SSL bus compressor replica in the world to utilize an exact recreation of the original and fully discrete DBX 202XC VCA gold cans.

With a lot of companies coming out with affordable SSL stereo bus compressors clones we decided it was time to step up our game and take it to the next level. While we were proud of the first SA4000 units and still think they are great sounding machines we knew there was something missing and the best word to describe it was character.

In 2018 we set out to build the best sounding bus compressor we could achieve and the only way to do that was to get closer to the original design. However, there was one problem, we had to bring back to life the DBX 202C VCA can, an obsolete, fully discrete and extremely time consuming piece of hardware that was the heart and soul of every early SSL desk, so we did.

The SA-4000 MK2 Stereo Buss Compressor is the most authentic recreation of the bus compressor found in the center section of the legendary SSL G Series Console. An overwhelming favorite among mix engineers, the SSL G Comp has very likely shaped more hit records than any other over the past three decades. Strap it across your 2-bus and hear your mix get punchier, bigger, more powerful, and glued together with unmatched cohesiveness. The SA4000 Stereo Buss Compressor gives you the same famous character, compression behavior and frequency response as the original. And it does it at a fraction of the price.

The SA-202C is an identical discrete reproduction of the original VCA used on every single SSL desk from the 80’s, it imparts a unique coloration and harmonic distortion which led these desks to be recognized for two things, glue and character. Each Stam Audio SA-202C is built in the same old fashion as the original with a complex system to hand match the very same transistors and values.

We have also upgraded the capacitors on the audio path and incorporated Ohmite carbon resistors to add more character to the unit. We auditioned 16 brands of capacitors to find the best sounding ones and Elna Silmic were by far the winners; they present a wider frequency response than any other brand. The ohmite carbon resistors were the icing on the cake, known for adding distortion and imparting coloration they were present in the early SSL construction and should not be avoided.

We also took this opportunity to perform several upgrades to the original SA4000 and added features which I will list below

True stereo side chain
Mid Blend knob
HPF (5 selecting frequencies)
New ratio configuration (1.5 and 3.0 ratios added)
Transformers switch for eventual MOD

The “NEVE” and “API” mod

The “Neve” mod adds a BV283 card (the output section of the 1073 preamp) as a Class A output buffer with 2 Carnhill transformers to the signal making it the perfect way to add low end and effortlessly warm up a mix.

The “API” mod adds two SA-2520 opamps (an exact replica of the original 2520 op amp) with 2 Cinemag CM-3301 transformers to the signal making it the perfect way to add mid-range to your drum buss giving you the famous API sound.

Due to space constraints inside only one MOD can be selected

Each MOD is only 200 USD. Includes all parts and labor.

Stock price: $699.00
Pre order price: $599.00
Previous SA4000 owners and first 100 to reserve: $499.00
NEXT BATCH: OCTOBER 2018
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio - SA4000 MK2-cd9188f8-82c2-42cd-a600-ac0893926738.jpg  
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

oh - my - god
preordered
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Cool!

I don't see the $499 price showing up on the webpage, are the first 100 gone already?
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Head

Hi Joshua
what is the final price for European customers?

499 (first 100) + 200 (mod) + 120 (shipping) + ±180 ( 20% TVA) = ±1000$

i'm correct ?
Old 24th July 2018
I preordered one with the NEVE mod. I will trust that the info Joshua listed here is correct, rather than the info at the web site; since the actual deposit was the amount listed here ($200.00) and not the amount listed at the web site ($100.00). I believe Joshua has earned the benefit of the doubt.

What a great idea this is, Joshua!
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Nice, Neve mod version pre-ordered.

Assuming within the first 100!
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

go to Stam website, scroll all the way down to PREORDER YOUR SA4000 STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR NOW TO GET A SPECIAL DISCOUNT . . . and read
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
go to Stam website, scroll all the way down to PREORDER YOUR SA4000 STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR NOW TO GET A SPECIAL DISCOUNT . . . and read
That's exactly what I initially did. And there it says the following:

"PREORDER YOUR SA4000 STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR NOW TO GET A SPECIAL DISCOUNT

The first 100 pre-orders for the SA-4000 lock in a $100 discount. Instead of the normal $699 you will receive your unit for just $599. To lock in your unit hit the add to cart button below and put down a $100 deposit. Once you’ve put your deposit down the balance for your unit will be $499 which will be due once it has been completed."

So that only seems to refer to the $599 pre-order price, no mention of the $499 for the first 100. Usually he had that listed as long as it was available, hence my question whether the first 100 are already gone, or is the $499 a mistake in the announcement, webpage typo, or what? Besides, if I put one in the cart it wants 200 down. not 100, and it also says something about the transformer mod. In fact, I don't even see how to put one in with or without mod. What am I missing?
Old 24th July 2018
Quote:
Are you saying you were able to preorder one with a $100.00 deposit as shown in the section you mentioned? My deposit was $200.00. And - remembering the mod price is an extra $200.00 - what do you expect your final price (not counting shipping) to be based on what is shown at the web site... $499.00, $599.00, $699.00, or something else?

"PREORDER YOUR SA4000 STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR NOW TO GET A SPECIAL DISCOUNT

The first 100 pre-orders for the SA-4000 lock in a $100 discount. Instead of the normal $699 you will receive your unit for just $599. To lock in your unit hit the add to cart button below and put down a $100 deposit. Once you’ve put your deposit down the balance for your unit will be $499 which will be due once it has been completed."

EDIT TO ADD: I see BadYodeler beat me to it.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

shut up and give joshua your preorder money
Old 24th July 2018
Quote:
You're unwilling to answer, I see. No problem. I'm only trying to clarify and learn.

I already have placed my deposit. And as I have already mentioned in this thread, I trust Joshua to do what he said here as opposed to what is on the web site. He is one of the good guys and has earned the benefit of the doubt, from my perspective.

I believe the web site info (at the bottom of the page) is left over from - and relative to - the first version, not the MK2.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

i'm sorry, i had a humorous moment.

can't answer your question, again, sorry.

me personally, ... i trust in joshua to keep his word regarding the first 100 preorder special price.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
LOL ok, you got it boss. So I have put down 200, not sure what exactly I just ordered, and to what price, but let's hope for the best
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

^
that's the kinda mindset you'll need, dealing with Stam.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Nice, Neve mod version pre-ordered.

Assuming within the first 100!
Me too!
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Great company, great gear, great guys. Instead of settling on That VCAs they have gone the extra mile to do the original style VCAs. Like the fact that they are adding features to their products that makes them more than a repro. Having the transformer option on the compressor is an added bonus. The middle band on their Pultec is very smart. Keep it up Joshua!
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear
The only versions I'm seeing on the website available for pre-order are the ones with the mod. I'm not seeing any option to add to cart with no mod. Checked in Chrome and Edge both. Am I missing something or is it just not working?
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
The only versions I'm seeing on the website available for pre-order are the ones with the mod. I'm not seeing any option to add to cart with no mod. Checked in Chrome and Edge both. Am I missing something or is it just not working?
Couldn't see a no mod version either - defaults to API it seems.
Old 24th July 2018
Awesome, this is going to be the definitive SA4k for sure
Old 24th July 2018
Company Rep
Guys

The 499 price is good until I announce here and on our Facebook post that is has been sold out

Please understand that by ordering now (I have not uploaded the standard button, just realized) you are ordering with a MOD

The 200 is extra from that price.

I hope this is clear
Thanks
Joshua
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

I'm in for one with API Mod.
$200 down, first 100/previous owner!
This looks good!
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesole View Post
I'm in for one with API Mod.
$200 down, first 100/previous owner!
This looks good!
In with the API. Went from no Stam products to two preorders in month lol.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

So I put $200 down for the API Mod, I didn’t see an option to go without. Do we have the option to downgrade our preorder should we decide to do so? I am safe to assume that the remaining balance will be $499? I really wish the site had a my account page that showed details about this stuff... hint hint

By my calculation it should work out to:

$499 (first 100 price)
+ $200 (API Mod)
———
$699 (total)
- $200 (deposit)
———
$499 (balance)

Last edited by jsvalmont; 24th July 2018 at 08:37 PM..
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
So I put $200 down for the API Mod, I didn’t see an option to go without. Maybe I was too hasty. I hope that mod is going to be switchable in and out? I am safe to assume that the remaining balance will be $499? I really wish the site had a my account page that showed details about this stuff... hint hint

By my calculation it should work out to:

$499 (first 100 price)
+ $200 (API Mod)
———
$699 (total)
- $200 (deposit)
———
$499 (balance)
My expectation as well.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

ORDERED! with API mod. I already have 2 of the original SA4000's - they're excellent!
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

I am feeling slightly bad about buying the SA4000 mk I now. This is obviously a much better version. And nobody will want to buy the mk I secondhand now..

Any chance that Stam could ”upgrade” my mk I to a mk II? Are the internals too different for such a thing?

thanks
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Those added ratios got me thinking i might need one of these.
Old 24th July 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I am feeling slightly bad about buying the SA4000 mk I now. This is obviously a much better version. And nobody will want to buy the mk I secondhand now..

Any chance that Stam could ”upgrade” my mk I to a mk II? Are the internals too different for such a thing?

thanks
We cant
The MK1 is a wonderful unit, I am very proud of it
No reason to change it if you like it
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

How long does this stuff realistically take to materialize? I love the idea and price, but it seems like people order from STAM, then I don't actually hear of anyone getting what they bought for like 1-2 years. Any experiences? Has STAM ever sent anything out anywhere close to the release date?
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
How long does this stuff realistically take to materialize? I love the idea and price, but it seems like people order from STAM, then I don't actually hear of anyone getting what they bought for like 1-2 years. Any experiences? Has STAM ever sent anything out anywhere close to the release date?
3 months late and would have waited 6 months for the quality of my sa87.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search