The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stam Audio - SA4000 MK2
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I am feeling slightly bad about buying the SA4000 mk I now. This is obviously a much better version. And nobody will want to buy the mk I secondhand now..

Any chance that Stam could ”upgrade” my mk I to a mk II? Are the internals too different for such a thing?

thanks
there'll be plenty of buyers for your mk I, second hand value I wouldn't expect to change much.
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

How much to ship to Canada?
Old 25th July 2018
Company Rep
90 USD roughly, 110 with a Mod
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I can't decide which mod to go with. I already have an api and neve option with my silver bullet. Hmmmmmm. I tend to always lean Neve but lately I've been mixing more EDM and the API sound has been really working for it.
First world gear problems!
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Addict

So it looks like I have ordered the Mk2 with API mod for a total of $699. Well then, so be it
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
I can't decide which mod to go with. I already have an api and neve option with my silver bullet. Hmmmmmm. I tend to always lean Neve but lately I've been mixing more EDM and the API sound has been really working for it.
First world gear problems!
Same here, went for Neve though as I think it stacks better - glues/thickens the low mids. API I feel I can dial in in one go and it's perfecto, especially with a bit or Air for the delicious top end. SB is a beast! Interested to know what you choose.

Can't wait to add this comp to the mixbus chain.
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear
This is an instance where it would be nice to hear some audio to illustrate the difference between the 3 versions in advance. I'm leaning towards going stock, but if one of the mods really wowed me, I could be convinced otherwise. I know Josh and co are busy, but a quick demo would be especially appreciated in this particular instance.
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
This is an instance where it would be nice to hear some audio to illustrate the difference between the 3 versions in advance. I'm leaning towards going stock, but if one of the mods really wowed me, I could be convinced otherwise. I know Josh and co are busy, but a quick demo would be especially appreciated in this particular instance.
Good call.
Old 25th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Same here, went for Neve though as I think it stacks better - glues/thickens the low mids. API I feel I can dial in in one go and it's perfecto, especially with a bit or Air for the delicious top end. SB is a beast! Interested to know what you choose.

Can't wait to add this comp to the mixbus chain.
How did you pick the Neve flavor? I'm not seeing any options, are you just including that in an email? I'm torn too, will prob mainly use on Drums so API seems cool, but I agree the Neve-esque saturation seems to stack up a little nicer...
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
How did you pick the Neve flavor? I'm not seeing any options, are you just including that in an email? I'm torn too, will prob mainly use on Drums so API seems cool, but I agree the Neve-esque saturation seems to stack up a little nicer...
There's a drop down menu (that doesn't look like a drop down menu) above the Add to Card button.

Mine's for the mixbus. If it were for drums, deffo API!

Last edited by b0se; 25th July 2018 at 09:14 PM..
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Maniac

API mods

Just be aware -
You may not get product into the USA with any mods or gear that looks or acts like API. API has filed a notice with US Customs for Stam Audio.
We tried to discourage the look-alike products, but were met with a bold statement out of Chile that Stam/API knockoff products would not be coming to the USA.
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Just be aware -
You may not get product into the USA with any mods or gear that looks or acts like API. API has filed a notice with US Customs for Stam Audio.
We tried to discourage the look-alike products, but were met with a bold statement out of Chile that Stam/API knockoff products would not be coming to the USA.
Thanks for your service, fun police.
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just be aware -
Also if these assholes cause trouble for me getting my non-API 4000 I’m going on an anti-API crusade.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

How hard is it to put joshua on the package and send it vs stam audio
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just be aware -
That's quite pathetic. So, you would like to ban any type of gear that contains a home brew 2520 type of op amp from the US? lol

Besides, how does that work? Somebody from API calls his buddy at US customs to tell them to not let packages from Stam into the country that contains a comp with a self-made 2520 op amp? And then buddy says "sure, no op amps, you got it!"?

Don't you guys have anything better to do? Thinking of it, rather than wasting your time on BS like this, perhaps you should try developing something new that's actually exciting. All you could come up with in recent years is a watered down version of the 2500 in 500 format, congratulations. Living off the legacy much?
Old 26th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Living off the legacy much?
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

To be fair, Stam should probably not advertise "Neve" or "API" anything (using those exact words) unless they carry the license to do so. It's not a diy board.

Despite that, API could take the high road and realize an output stage option of another compressor clone is not a threat to their business.
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Nut

Guys, you really shouldn’t mention their company name in here. Rumor has it if you say it too many times they’ll call up their buddies at the FBI and have your home raided.

Seriously a low point for these dudes and they ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

The whole customs threat is a bit much, but Stam should definitely remove the brand references and just call them “N” and “A” like Plugin Alliance would do, or “British Class-A” and “American Class-A” like Softube did or 525 mod and 1073 mod (or something more along those lines).
Old 27th July 2018
Deleted 4adc64a
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
Despite that, API could take the high road and realize an output stage option of another compressor clone is not a threat to their business.
I doubt this is as much about high roads and business threats as it is US trademark law. Simply registering a trademark isn't enough, you also have to proactively take steps to defend your marks from infringement or you lose rights. So once API gets notice that Stam is making an unlicensed look-alike, they are legally required to do something about it to protect their own IP.

Also very funny to read people acting hard in this thread when you can tell they're the kind of person who would whine for weeks on end if someone stole their own IP.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthonymusic View Post
I doubt this is as much about high roads and business threats as it is US trademark law. Simply registering a trademark isn't enough, you also have to proactively take steps to defend your marks from infringement or you lose rights. So once API gets notice that Stam is making an unlicensed look-alike, they are legally required to do something about it to protect their own IP.

Also very funny to read people acting hard in this thread when you can tell they're the kind of person who would whine for weeks on end if someone stole their own IP.
Yes but if anything this product really only 'looks like' an SSL.
Old 27th July 2018
Deleted 4adc64a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Yes but if anything this product really only 'looks like' an SSL.
Trade dress - Wikipedia

API TRADEMARKS SIGNATURE KNOB
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Addict

API

companies like API will end up out of business and I can sense their frustration has a lot to do with that impending doom. In the end there will be only clones. We won't even know whats real. It might not matter. I have mostly cloned gear in my studio. My records sound good to me.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Definitely agree, Stam should change their verbiage no matter what. API (and owners of the Neve tm) are in a position with something to lose.

I'm curious if the op amps are socketed and swappable.
Old 27th July 2018
Deleted 4adc64a
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
companies like API will end up out of business and I can sense their frustration has a lot to do with that impending doom. In the end there will be only clones. We won't even know whats real. It might not matter. I have mostly cloned gear in my studio. My records sound good to me.
Very easy to justify a race to the bottom with "it's working for me." Much harder when you're on the other side. Just know that should you ever experience the satisfaction of developing something that other people deem worth stealing, you will probably have a different take.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

I can totally see API having a problem with Stam using their name/trademark in his advertising but I don’t think they have much of a case when it comes to an SSL lookalike with a 2520 based output stage.(I’m assuming none of the SA4000 MK1’s had any customs problems, right?)

api sez may be referring to Stam’s MP312 and 312 500 series modules that feature knobs that arguably do infringe on api’s intellectual property. Api has stopped both plugin and hardware companies from using anything similar to genuine API knobs.
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Head

Thinking of ordering a Neve mod and the original together for some different compression flavors, but maybe that's overkill?
I'm currently using the Softube SSL 9000 K with the Console 1 and want to end the chain with the SA4000, but wanted both in case some songs aren't appropriate to be as "warm" or "beefy".
I mean, for the price it'd be kind of stupid not to just do it; I have the rack space.

I think I'm just "typing out loud" and we all know I'm gonna buy both.

EDIT: As promised, I ordered both.

Last edited by dMiller76; 27th July 2018 at 07:20 AM..
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
The whole customs threat is a bit much, but Stam should definitely remove the brand references and just call them “N” and “A” like Plugin Alliance would do, or “British Class-A” and “American Class-A” like Softube did or 525 mod and 1073 mod (or something more along those lines).
Yes, they probably should do something along these lines, and I guess having Stam not to use the "API" name is what this little fuzz is about.

Quote:

Are you sure you are in the right thread? There is absolutely no "API-look-alike" to see here. And intellectual property theft? Because of a 2520 type op amp? Really? Besides, API is just a brand that changed owners a couple of times, and people who developed the original stuff are long gone or moved on, as you will know. So really what they are trying to do is keeping the image of that brand intact, hence such pointless threats as above. It seems these days they are just more worried about their image than anything else in order to sell their 50 year old gear in overpriced fashion. From what it appears to be from the outside, they are just trying to milk that cow as long as the milk comes out and then will either sell the whole thing again or simply close shop.
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMiller76 View Post
Thinking of ordering a Neve mod and the original together for some different compression flavors, but maybe that's overkill?
It is my understanding that you will have both flavors available in one box by means of the 'Transformer' switch, no? From the description in the announcement:

"Transformers switch for eventual MOD"
Old 27th July 2018
Deleted 4adc64a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Are you sure you are in the right thread? There is absolutely no "API-look-alike" to see here.
Stam has produced API look-alikes before. Given the way that they're advertising this there's no indication that they won't do so again, either by visually changing the appearance of the modded versions, making indications on the box, etc. So Customs is warned to look out for these things based on past and current behavior.

Quote:
And intellectual property theft? Because of a 2520 type op amp? Really?
I never said anything about the op amp. Intellectual Property isn't restricted to patents, as you hopefully understood from the links I posted.

Quote:
So really what they are trying to do is keeping the image of that brand intact, hence such pointless threats as above.
Again, if you operate a business in the US and you wish to keep your legal right to keep using the brand, there are steps that you need to take in order to do so. It's clearly a valuable brand based on how many people are adopting it to sell their own equipment.

If it were yours, you would do the same. (Although please feel free to share some fantasy hypothetical where you give all the rights to your successful IP away because you have so much confidence in your own ability to innovate that you'll just start another one, etc.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search