The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stam Audio Stamchild SA-670
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
What’s the “American” part of your critique though?
Just as he said: it's an elevated consumer superiority complex, and it's responsible for the bankruptcy of countless amazing businesses. Yet we complain that, "nobody cares about making a good product anymore and everything is sh!t" Yeah, the constant complaining and need for retribution when you didn't get enough napkins from the pizza guy, because we deserve to be treated like kings everywhere we go -- the superiority complex of the average consumer -- saw to the end of the Craftsmen.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Everybody deserves feedback of his/her actions.
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Just as he said: it's an elevated consumer superiority complex, and it's responsible for the bankruptcy of countless amazing businesses. Yet we complain that, "nobody cares about making a good product anymore and everything is sh!t" Yeah, the constant complaining and need for retribution when you didn't get enough napkins from the pizza guy, because we deserve to be treated like kings everywhere we go -- the superiority complex of the average consumer -- saw to the end of the Craftsmen.
THIS!!!!

I've been an American for over 4 decades, and the American elevated consumer superiority complex is real. I wish people here would have some respect, some humility, and some common sense of collective humanity. Instead, everyone here thinks the whole world revolves around them, and that they are entitled to everything under the sun.

Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

I’m sure if Chris doesn’t want his there will be others to take his place at that nice price?
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
I totally agree that the choice is clear, either accept the higher shipping charges, or try and get a refund.

What’s the “American” part of your critique though?
Of course its not all Americans, but I run an ecommerce business (non audio related) that ships worldwide and the customer is always right, no matter what, under any and every circumstance mentality in American can be pretty unreasonable at times. I mean it stems from a culture of competition and capitalism which has yielded great progress worldwide, but sometimes people think they should treat a boutique one off custom type business the same way they would treat a chain fast food store lol. Again, not all Americans are like this (of course) and you can find people like that anywhere, i've just noticed it seems to be baked in the consumer culture in America far more than other places.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

The guy's frustrated that he had to cough up an extra $150 last minute (Which is a lot of money for some of us) and now we're complaining about how horrible the American mindset of consumerist expectations are... Good lord. I guess I'm just another greedy/selfish American, because I wouldn't be happy either. I try my best to be sympathetic with people when problems come up, but at some point I also believe you have to own up to mistakes as well. If you disagree, just say that and move on. Don't go blaming a whole culture. No one is really wrong here...
Old 15th September 2019
No sound examples yet? No videos?
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I guess I'm just another greedy/selfish American, because I wouldn't be happy either.
I doubt anyone would be happy about it. I wouldn't be. The issue isn't that -- the issue surfaced when the guy (who's spent a LOT of time unfairly defacing Stam) demanded a further discount due to the error on the website. Is that something you would also request?

And then someone (from an American location btw) questioned why the superiority complex was "American," even though the person who was being superior also has an American location.

But, really, we're all just getting bored with the thread.
Old 15th September 2019
Company Rep
Look

I take the blame and responsibility for this. I should have known that Mark was offering stuff at an erroneous shipping pricing and I should have detected the website shipping charge thing much faster, unfortunately I can't cover it, I would have to do it for everybody else, it would cost dozens of thousands of dollars and I am already not making any profit at all and even selling below production price on these units. The only units that will actually leave a profit are the ones priced at 3,490 and 3990 in stock.

Everybody who has contacted me about this piece I mentioned that it was a 40 pound beast and shipment would be between 200 and 300 dollars, it ends up being right in the middle

The correct shipping price has been on the website for months as well for all units

The only thing I can do at this stage is offer a refund as I understand that a few guys might have reserved thinking shipment was lower.

I am considering opening up a distribution center in the US and ship things via boat to a warehouse so we have free next day delivery on our units, that would be a big step forward

With regards to reviews, there should be more coming this week, a few guys are not on GS but others are, I am also sending one to an important engineer so fingers crossed

Apologies again for the mess up

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 15th September 2019 at 08:18 PM..
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevemachine View Post
THIS!!!!

I've been an American for over 4 decades, and the American elevated consumer superiority complex is real. I wish people here would have some respect, some humility, and some common sense of collective humanity. Instead, everyone here thinks the whole world revolves around them, and that they are entitled to everything under the sun.

I'm an American also so if you've got an extra 1.5 Benjamins in your pocket, I have a bridge you can buy..... Really dumb comment, customer service is universal.... Not everyone is you....
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I'm an American also so if you've got an extra 1.5 Benjamins in your pocket, I have a bridge you can buy..... Really dumb comment, customer service is universal.... Not everyone is you....
But that's not really the point that was being made. Obviously no one *wants* to pay more than they initially budgeted, and Josh clearly regrets the error. The issue here is the (ongoing) aggressive attacks and suggestions that Stam is dishonest and exhibiting terrible customer support, though recent actions at their company only suggest otherwise. Look, it was a blatant attempt to muscle them into eating more $$ for these production of these products, and that approach has become pretty common in US culture, though perhaps not in every sector of the population (reports show that millenials lean on this tactic more often than most). I didn't get enough ketchup on my burger -- someone's gotta pay -- I want the manager -- waaaahhh! Again, it's a comment on general consumer feelings of entitlement and superiority. The funny thing is, we've all seen reports of (for instance) shoppers demanding to pay no more than $1.99 after a product that had meant to be tagged $199 but somehow had a dot in the price. And we think, 'how obnoxious! These people have no shame.' This is why companies have written fine print and TOS Agreements the size of a novel.

You have an opinion, which (as you suggested) equals one very valid vote, but there are many opinions here (though some are driven by ulterior motives). It's ultimately up to Stam to decide. And, yes, the forum is open for feedback about that decision, good or bad. But the privilege thing wasn't even commentary on Stam, it was commentary on the general attitude of US consumers. And, no, it's not just the US, and, no, that observation is not wrong.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru
Kids always want stuff for free.... Has nothing to do with anything but they never had to make anything and learn fast..... then they become crusty tightwads....
Been happening for years.
People got angry at Stam for taking their money moving deadlines, not communicating, and in some cases changing the product with no notification (like a mic capsule).
Those are big deals to people and erodes trust.
Don't blame that on nationality or age group. And "entitled culture" is a dog whistle for something else........

Last edited by ardis; 16th September 2019 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
But the privilege thing wasn't even commentary on Stam, it was commentary on the general attitude of US consumers. And, no, it's not just the US, and, no, that observation is not wrong.
I would say it's just a "modern/rich" consumer issue. It's definitely not "just" the US, I spent the first 18 years of my life living in dozens of different countries and saw it everywhere. It wasn't any worse when I started living in the US. I definitely didn't see it in the third world countries I lived in, so I would just leave it at an entitlement issue. Don't blame it on Americans, haha...

I have turned my life around and become a crazy budget minded person in the last 3 years since I opened my studio. I would have asked for my deposit back if I planned and saved for over a year but then was asked to pay $150 more last minute. It's Josh's fault, but he didn't do anything dishonest. He's just disorganized and overwhelmed, it's old news at this point and I feel bad that it keeps happening. The people who are going in for these preorders and putting up with all the bumps in the road are doing it to save money. Any argument along the lines of "Well, it's only $150. You're still saving a LOT of money in the long run" are pointless to me. It's still $150 I might not have right now. It sucks for everyone I guess...
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

For the record, I have not AT ALL claimed that Josh did anything dishonest. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
For the record, I have not AT ALL claimed that Josh did anything dishonest. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I don't think anyone put words into your mouth. There were a lot of things said earlier in the thread, I don't think any of them were by you. I think the point was "He didn't do anything dishonest, the shipping just ended up costing more".
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I don't think anyone put words into your mouth.
There have certainly been implications. But I have not said that Stam did anything dishonest. I never claimed that they were trying to lie about the shipping price and pocket the money. I was just shocked by the jump in price from $95 to $256. I overnighted a RADAR unit to Canada a couple of years ago (that's three time zones and one country away for a four-rackspace, 18" deep unit weighing close to 50 lbs.) for $200, so I assumed three-day shipping from Chile (same time zone, different country) might be about $100. Clearly, I was wrong about that, but that's what I was told. I was shocked and since Stam hadn't given me any kind of heads-up about the price increase over the last eight months, I posted on here to let other people know. As it turns out, some people were equally surprised, so I feel justified in my post. It actually helped some people WHO HAVE UNITS ON ORDER, believe it or not.

Call me "enititled" or whatever, I don't care. I was surprised. I posted about it so that other people wouldn't be so surprised. Blah blah blah.

For the record (once again), I agreed to pay the shipping cost on Friday and the unit didn't go out on Friday. This morning I just sent them the balance. It still hasn't been picked up by DHL, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. Once I actually get this thing and it works, it'll all be over. I promise. Trust me, I just want to be done with this. Stam has my money (including $256 shipping) and I'm just waiting for it to get here, safe and sound.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

Any sound samples or demo of the unit? We need it
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

The drivel in this thread is mind numbing.

Someone is charged significantly more for shipping than they were told.... than what was advertised on the website... they mention it, and it's a case of "an elevated consumer superiority complex"

Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSH View Post

Someone is charged significantly more for shipping than they were told.... than what was advertised on the website... they mention it, and it's a case of "an elevated consumer superiority complex"

Didn't just mention it, went on and on...
The conclusion is:
* It costs a lot more than it was estimated to ship the ginormous beast
* Manufacturer apologised for getting the estimate wrong
* Shipping receipt can be provided by manufacturer if requested
* Refund is offered if customer can't afford/understand the increased shipping cost.

/END
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

31 pages and still not a single sound sample!
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
31 pages and still not a single sound sample!
Does it pass audio?

How does ist compare with Plugins....?

Last edited by blaugruen7; 17th September 2019 at 08:46 AM..
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSH View Post

That would be just one example. It's actually about 31 pages filled with elevated consumer superiority complex just to be more accurate.

We're going inception now. First it was moaning, then it's moaning about moaning, and now we're moaning about moaning about moaning.

Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevemachine View Post
We're going inception now.
LOL. Totally true.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Any new owners, news, reviews..?
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep
We shipped another 10 this week, hopefully we will get more reviews next week!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mine has not shipped yet, despite the fact that I paid my balance over a week ago. I'll be happy to post some videos and whatnot if they can ever manage to deliver this thing

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
Mine has not shipped yet, despite the fact that I paid my balance over a week ago. I'll be happy to post some videos and whatnot if they can ever manage to deliver this thing

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yours is going as well Chris!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Awesome. I look forward to getting it. I was surprised to see that it had not been picked up today or yesterday and I have not gotten any responses to my emails.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I'm still waiting but hopefully soon!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Excited to hear these are finally shipping. I paid my balance in full in October 2018 for a U47 and Stamchild and trying to remain patient but itching to get this thing on some mixes. Is there a way to look into when my order is shipping Josh?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search