The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stam Audio Stamchild SA-670
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I sent some audio clips to a high profile engineer, probably the most known guy in the industry wand based on his comments and the endless comparisons we have done to the Fairchild I feel the 6BA6 is identical to the NOS 6386 while the JJ's are not.
Any chance you can share the audio clips so we can hear the Stamchild in action as well as the differences between the 6386 and 6BA6 tubes?

I know you said you decided not to release that video (for now) that we had been waiting for, this might be a good substitute.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Perhaps you don't recognize it, but your posts do indeed challenge him to become defensive. He makes a statement about the "sound" of his product (a statement which, to my knowledge, hasn't been proven untrue) and you say "really?" Most people who've had their word challenged in such a way would feel a rise in blood pressure.
Really?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Really?
Ironic words are not the best way to talk between friends

Daniel.
Old 2 weeks ago
Company Rep
Well, since so many guys are asking I will give you the straight answer

I made a unit with original NOS 6386 tubes, the result was fantastic. Sowter matching the THD and frequency response plus using the original tubes nailed the sound despite changing the PSU to a solid state one which I found had absolute no bearing on the sound

We then sourced a currently made option, JJ's 6386 are the only guys making it. I was not as happy. The musical compression heard on the original tubes was gone. It did not sound bad but not the same. I don't look at what other companies use. I test based on the original specs. On top of this there was a huge tolerance from tube to tube and readings where all over.

I then tested the popular 5670 tubes (twice as many) and the results were similar to the JJ, when pushed it sounds squashed and the tone was not of my liking, I disregarded them.

We finally tested the 6BA6 NOS tubes and after carefully matching them (I have to buy 30-40 of them to get 16 decent ones) we got the tone and compression characteristics of the NOS 6386, they sound pretty much identical.

I would like to clarify that my source sells the 6386 at 15 USD a piece. We spend between 450-500 USD to get one StamChild going on tubes only. JJ's are the same price when buying in bulk, therefor, we are NOT saving money using this method. Another forum member implied that we were trying to save money and at Stam we have never done that, sound is the primary thing, money second. We have sold hundreds or maybe thousand of units at cost with no profit during these years (All the ADG, all the 1073EQ at 790 USD, the first 100 Fairchilds, etc.. etc..) because we wanted to establish a brand name and prestige when it came to sound and engineering.

Secondly, I am not saying JJ is a bad company, not at all, and the Unfairchild might very well be a good product (I have not tested it and probably never will), we just rather use something different on this particular product in the quest on sonic excellence and replicating the original compression characteristics. This said, after the 6BA6, JJ's are probably the second best option since NOS 6386 tubes are just too expensive.

We don't compare our units to other clones, if we would we would have a very hard time offering something superior, we go after the originals and I believe the StamChild to have achieved what all other pieces have.

We are shipping 30 of them this month and we look forward to your reviews

Thanks

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’m on board. I can’t claim to be an expert here even after reading everything I could find on production 6386’s. I just want a badass bus compressor.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland View Post
I’m on board. I can’t claim to be an expert here even after reading everything I could find on production 6386’s. I just want a badass bus compressor.
And that's really all that matters. I still use an Anamod AM660, which from a design standpoint couldn't be further from a Fairchild, yet it fooled a lot of great ears in A/B tests. This isn't one of those scenarios where "it's what's on the inside that counts," in fact it doesn't matter one iota as long as it produces the intended result.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I couldn't care less what tubes are inside if it sounds good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Agree Josh, JJs work fine for me in guitar amps, but I ended up replacing them with older tubes in preamps and comps.
While some might like them for their 'high and low extension' I find the sound of JJs in that context about as exciting as laminate wood flooring.
Looking forward to hearing it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Well, since so many guys are asking I will give you the straight answer

I made a unit with original NOS 6386 tubes, the result was fantastic. Sowter matching the THD and frequency response plus using the original tubes nailed the sound despite changing the PSU to a solid state one which I found had absolute no bearing on the sound

We then sourced a currently made option, JJ's 6386 are the only guys making it. I was not as happy. The musical compression heard on the original tubes was gone. It did not sound bad but not the same. I don't look at what other companies use. I test based on the original specs. On top of this there was a huge tolerance from tube to tube and readings where all over.

I then tested the popular 5670 tubes (twice as many) and the results were similar to the JJ, when pushed it sounds squashed and the tone was not of my liking, I disregarded them.

We finally tested the 6BA6 NOS tubes and after carefully matching them (I have to buy 30-40 of them to get 16 decent ones) we got the tone and compression characteristics of the NOS 6386, they sound pretty much identical.

I would like to clarify that my source sells the 6386 at 15 USD a piece. We spend between 450-500 USD to get one StamChild going on tubes only. JJ's are the same price when buying in bulk, therefor, we are NOT saving money using this method. Another forum member implied that we were trying to save money and at Stam we have never done that, sound is the primary thing, money second. We have sold hundreds or maybe thousand of units at cost with no profit during these years (All the ADG, all the 1073EQ at 790 USD, the first 100 Fairchilds, etc.. etc..) because we wanted to establish a brand name and prestige when it came to sound and engineering.

Secondly, I am not saying JJ is a bad company, not at all, and the Unfairchild might very well be a good product (I have not tested it and probably never will), we just rather use something different on this particular product in the quest on sonic excellence and replicating the original compression characteristics. This said, after the 6BA6, JJ's are probably the second best option since NOS 6386 tubes are just too expensive.

We don't compare our units to other clones, if we would we would have a very hard time offering something superior, we go after the originals and I believe the StamChild to have achieved what all other pieces have.

We are shipping 30 of them this month and we look forward to your reviews

Thanks

Thanks

Josh

I am just a little confused.

Can the Stamchild I have pre ordered, be able to take 6386s should I desire?

Are the 6BA6s on adaptor boards.....or are the Stamchild PCBs built to take them?

Cheers

Wiz
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I personally breathed a huge sigh of relief when you changed to 6BA6. Anything coming out of that JJ factory with 2 triodes per tube these days is a gamble with too long odds. Would be good to find some Manley comparison clips of 6386 vs 6BA6 Manley Vari Mu to at least get some idea of the sonic differences between the tube types, if anyone can point me in that direction.

Last edited by paulthesparky; 1 week ago at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Incorrect facts related to 6BA6
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthesparky View Post
I personally breathed a huge sigh of relief when you changed to 6BA6. Anything coming out of that JJ factory with 2 triodes per tube these days is a gamble with too long odds. Would be good to find some Manley comparison clips of 6386 vs 6BA6 Manley Vari Mu to at least get some idea of the sonic differences between the tube types, if anyone can point me in that direction.
How many 6BA6 tubes does a Manley need?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
How many 6BA6 tubes does a Manley need?
It’s a completely different design to the Stamchild with a lot less tubes, so the Stamchild should ideally sound closer to original Fairchild 670 design. Another reason not to buy Manley if your after that sound. Manley Version 9 can have a T bar adaptor board fitted, but I believe it has only 6 tubes in the previous original design or 8 tubes total with T bar (6BA6)
Here’s a link showing the photo if you scroll down

https://www.manley.com/tech-pages/va...identification

From reviews I’ve read from Manley User’s, opinions seem varied on what they prefer sound wise between versions, but given the Stamchild has way more tubes it will definitely be its own thing sound wise.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I see that you need to wire up two 6BA6 tubes to match one 6386. I think I saw a graph somewhere showing NOS 6386 vs matched 6BA6 and that was pretty much identical.
I'd prefer to get 6BA6.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthesparky View Post
It’s a completely different design to the Stamchild with a lot less tubes, so the Stamchild should ideally sound closer to original Fairchild 670 design. Another reason not to buy Manley if your after that sound. Manley Version 9 can have a T bar adaptor board fitted, but I believe it has only 6 tubes in the previous original design or 8 tubes total with T bar (6BA6)
Here’s a link showing the photo if you scroll down

https://www.manley.com/tech-pages/va...identification

From reviews I’ve read from Manley User’s, opinions seem varied on what they prefer sound wise between versions, but given the Stamchild has way more tubes it will definitely be its own thing sound wise.
I don’t want a Manley. I just wanted to know the tube count.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Reading all of these details has me super excited! I can't wait!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thoughts on ideal EQ pairings on the mix bus? I’d been focused on a massivo, but that seems perhaps a bit tube heavy at this point. Maybe not though. Curious what people are thinking.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Thoughts on ideal EQ pairings on the mix bus? I’d been focused on a massivo, but that seems perhaps a bit tube heavy at this point. Maybe not though. Curious what people are thinking.
If you think MP is tube heavy don’t try pultecs!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
If you think MP is tube heavy don’t try pultecs!
I love the idea of pultecs too, but I wonder if having two layers of tube gain is overkill for a whole mix. More of a question than an opinion. Have been considering Massivo, Bettermaker, Ibis, Custom Audio Germany, etc. honestly I’d love them all but that’s not happening.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Pultecs are great..

Massive is not syrupy thick but it has a gentle tube timbre. Both together is awesome!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another forum member implied that we were trying to save money and at Stam we have never done that, sound is the primary thing, money second. We have sold hundreds or maybe thousand of units at cost with no profit during these years (All the ADG, all the 1073EQ at 790 USD, the first 100 Fairchilds, etc.. etc..) because we wanted to establish a brand name and prestige when it came to sound and engineering.
I am saddened to read that, because you guys should be making a profit off of every unit. But I am also delighted that you make every effort to not compromise on sound quality. That has been my experience and everyone else's experience as well.

To anyone reading this, Stam Audio are in their prime right now. Get in on it while the getting is hot! No doubt that the delays are annoying but I would be annoyed if I thought I could build some for X amount of dollars and make a profit but then realized I had to built it for Y amount and only break even.

Thanks for your honesty, Joshua.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I wonder if having two layers of tube gain is overkill for a whole mix.

IMHO, not at all. The harmonics added from tubes with proper gain staging is audibly fairly minimal. i.e., it's not going to sound saturated, it will just sound ever so slightly more "open" due to the high-end lift that's added by the harmonics.
Old 1 week ago
I ordered one a few weeks ago, am very exited to try it when it eventually arrives!

I don’t know if this has been asked in the thread but I have two questions:
1. Is the D.C. threshold on the back of the unit?
2. What does the ACG filter do?

Last edited by Pianolando; 1 week ago at 08:07 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

AGC stands for Automatic Gain Control. It switches the compressor into either Left-Right (what you'll use most of the time if not always) or Lat-Vert modes. For a solid description of what each is intended for, check out the original 670 manual here (page 10):

http://audio.kubarth.com/fairchild/670_Manual.pdf
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
AGC stands for Automatic Gain Control. It switches the compressor into either Left-Right (what you'll use most of the time if not always) or Lat-Vert modes. For a solid description of what each is intended for, check out the original 670 manual here (page 10):

http://audio.kubarth.com/fairchild/670_Manual.pdf
Thanks for the answer, but my question was actually what the AGC filter does (as that is not on the original Fairchild). My guess is that it’s a high pass filter, but then how does the “mid” position work? Compress high and low but spare the mid? I’ve never seen that option before.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolando View Post
Thanks for the answer, but my question was actually what the AGC filter does (as that is not on the original Fairchild). My guess is that it’s a high pass filter, but then how does the “mid” position work? Compress high and low but spare the mid? I’ve never seen that option before.
Ah yes, the filter. I guess Josh would have to get after that question.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolando View Post

It's a bass cut filter for the side chain, so it doesn't pump with bass heavy or complex material (full mixes), 90hz cut, 180hz and i'm guessing 300hz is the mid range, but just a guess.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

any updates...

It is the back half of the month?
Old 6 days ago
Company Rep
New batch of pots from Blore will be here on Friday
If everything is OK we resume shipments Tuesday next week
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
New batch of pots from Blore will be here on Friday
If everything is OK we resume shipments Tuesday next week
Good and quick update!
Weekly ones like that on the website, for all the products, would be great and probably save you alot of hassle with emails and sitting through forums.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search