The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA76 ADG
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #601
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes I didn’t try it at -20db. Just about -6db

I’m away now for a while from my studio.... it’s family time. But I’ll look at it in the new year
Hi ianbarter!

can you share some new experiences of the differences between the original A and the ADG? also in extreme settings.

I am so excited to hear some updates!

Thanx a lot !

Frank
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn P View Post
Hi ianbarter!

can you share some new experiences of the differences between the original A and the ADG? also in extreme settings.

I am so excited to hear some updates!

Thanx a lot !

Frank
Hi Frank. I sold my original Stam Rev A a while back. As I had 8 compressors here at the time and I had three Rev A type compressors and so I certainly wasn’t using them all and the ADG sounds excellent and is more versatile ( with the added D and G settings )

I don’t remember that much difference , it wasn’t huge between the original Rev A and the ADG
As in , in a mix you definitely wouldn’t hear a difference between the two at all.

And I have tried a number of Rev A compressors from different manufacturers in the last year. And they are alllll good tbh

After allot of use ( mostly on vocals ) and tireless comparing , I found the ADG Rev A to sound the best of the bunch. Let’s be honest , that’s in my room , with my convertor ( HEDD ) with my most used mic ( vintage C12 ) and with my monitors ( big three way quested )

There’s NOTHING wrong with the others , they sound just great but aside from compression I just found the Stam one to have the best tone.

The audioscape 76a and blacklion Audio Bluey both have more “ grabby “ compression and also sound excellent. I certainly dug them - the audioscape has just excellent compression and the bluey even has a mix knob , just great.
And I’ve used them regularly and they also gorgeous tone being mid forward and super compressors
But for me the tone of the Stam is just that bit better — can’t tell you why but just “ is “

There’s SO much talk about this or that. And the small margins , which I know do matter . There’s talk of tiny differences between convertors. I’ve A/B’d a bunch. There’s talk of Acustica plugins sounding real outboard , yes they do...... different cables , yes they sound different
I’ve tirelessly for 15 years tried vintage mixing desks here, tons of mics, tried an expensive clock , tried all sorts of cables, got lost down the rabbit hole of vintage neve things....And they all make a difference to the sound , yes , sometimes better sometimes worse. Sometimes it really doesn’t matter one bit it’s just for my pleasure

But talking as someone who does this for my living ....,At the end of the day if I had a simple cheap “ RMC FMR “ compressor which has zero tone or a cool Stam Rev A , id still be making records that sound great, and I’d still have had recently 7 songs in major radio that co-wrote, produced and mixed.

As someone said on here a while back it’s not the sword but the samurai.

I mixed and added production to young guys track a while back , and he invited himself to my studio and demanded politely to see my logic page and what I’d done to his track. He was amazed that I used the same fabfilter EQ and compressor that he used and that there wasn’t that much on my mix buss.

The original rev A Stam is excellent , so is the ADG. They are great tools. So are the audioscape and black lion. . . . All just tools to get you to the destination.

They are all great tools , and let’s be honest allot of it about us enjoying ourselves

And the difference between the older Stam Rev A and the newer one , or using a plugin or a really great Acustica plugin ( I have allot of them )....isn’t going to make or break a record

My 2 cents this morning here in oxfordshire ))

Ian
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #603
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Frank. I sold my original Stam Rev A a while back. As I had 8 compressors here at the time and I had three Rev A type compressors and so I certainly wasn’t using them all and the ADG sounds excellent and is more versatile ( with the added D and G settings ) ...

Ian
Thanx Ian,
your are so right! Thats what I say every day to my clients.
All that gear and talk is mainly for our brain, for fun and making a break of working. Its the same with the plug in hunger

The productions and mixes always sound like the man who have done it and not the gear they used.

greetings
Frank
Old 31st July 2020
  #604
I am really glad to hear you liked the ADG the best Ian
What an honor

I have tried the other compressors you mention and like you said they sound great. You can't go wrong.

The only advantage of mine would be that you are getting 3 compressors which I think is a game changer for tracking. Rev F and A sound totally different but great in their own way. It also makes it much more difficult and time consuming to build which I am not sure is a good thing for me and clients who are frustrated with the wait.

We will be discontinuing the ADG after deliveries are completed in August. I have some other ideas.
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn P View Post
Thanx Ian,
your are so right! Thats what I say every day to my clients.
All that gear and talk is mainly for our brain, for fun and making a break of working. Its the same with the plug in hunger

The productions and mixes always sound like the man who have done it and not the gear they used.

greetings
Frank
Yea sorry for my download of thoughts this morning

(here i go again ! )

I think though these days, i end up choosing ' tools ' in my studio that get me to mix stage quicker. Get it right on the way in... less to do later. And i wish someone had sat me down 15 years ago and told me some of this ... but i probably wouldn't have listened LOL

I used to find fat sounding Neve's did it for me, now i've moved away from that and dont own a neve ( except one clone for that sound if i want that sound ) but i've found API 312 or my 76 mic pre to make a more warm but upfront vocal sound , better for me in the mix and less EQ-ing than the Neves in the mixing stage. And i find these days Neves for vocals to be too fluffy ( that's just me and my taste ! ).

After all the gear slutting and going weak at the knees over vintage Carnhill transformers.... For me these days... They are tools to get it right on thew way in , as much as possible.

I watched Shawn Everett on mix with the masters recently , saying he had the luxury on one album to put a mix stems through like 6 old and new mixing desks ( all at zero ).
And his own vintage API he had at his studio.
And he said there wasn't ''that'' much difference between them all.

And i've had two vintage desks here and they do something (good) to the sound for sure ( bit of spread and saturation for sure ). But he said in the end , half the time he couldn't tell on a blind A/B which was the vintage desk and which was in the box, and in the end he said '' maybe i chose the vintage API desk mix, to tell people that i put it through the API '' ...and he was smiling about how we all hanker after this and that but proved to himself its not that important ....LOL

And i find that a REV A compressor really adds some warmth (and 3D-ness i'd call it for a better word ) AND a nice mid push in the vocal ( not right for everything but great ).
And as a working tool in the studio, the one that fits best with my C12 is the Stam.

I have the Bluey for sale right now ( which suits neumann well ) and the Audiosape i kept as i also love it, its just great. More 'modern' sounding than the Stam...

One thing i find is that plugins defeinlty dont sound the same as outboard. Even the great Acustica's.... but in a dense track does that even matter ...LOL

Sometimes for a piano and vocal track, i find using my 1939 ( re-built ) RCA 96a compressor really shines , as you can hear its 3D sound and the lovely sheen it gives any audio and esp on the vocal . But in a dense track it really doesn't make so much difference really, if i use that and my Arouser plugin.... all these do is '' hold it nicely in place ''.

Having said alll that -- lots of 3% differences do add up to something. So say if you have tiny 3% differences, but 5 of them, then you have in total 15% differences, and THAT I DO NOTICE

And because of that i'm not selling my expensive clock, or my Stam REV A which i use every month for vocals , some of which go onto the Radio. And if its not the right tools ( EQ sound ) for that vocal i use something else.
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #606
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I am really glad to hear you liked the ADG the best Ian
What an honor

I have tried the other compressors you mention and like you said they sound great. You can't go wrong.

The only advantage of mine would be that you are getting 3 compressors which I think is a game changer for tracking. Rev F and A sound totally different but great in their own way. It also makes it much more difficult and time consuming to build which I am not sure is a good thing for me and clients who are frustrated with the wait.

We will be discontinuing the ADG after deliveries are completed in August. I have some other ideas.
Well i'm glad i got hold of one, as i find it very handy in deed

And yes the tone is just awesome
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #607
Hey Ian,

Thanks for your post.Question: Do you know what output transformer is in your adg? I recently got an email offering options for different transformers and am looking for ideally audio examples or people's impressions to help me decide.If anyone else has any input I'd love to hear it Thanks, Mike
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #608
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofhead View Post
Hey Ian,

Thanks for your post.Question: Do you know what output transformer is in your adg? I recently got an email offering options for different transformers and am looking for ideally audio examples or people's impressions to help me decide.If anyone else has any input I'd love to hear it Thanks, Mike
Hi mate, i have no idea, you could ask Joshua , as he is on this thread. It was one of the first batch for sure, or second, its wasn't recent, i;ve had it over a year and half i think.....when they first started sending out.
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
  #609
Thank ye for the quick response will do
Old 2nd August 2020
  #610
Original had Cinemag
Now upgraded to Sowter optionally
Old 2nd August 2020 | Show parent
  #611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
Still waiting for someone to contact me...
Hey Noa

Were you contacted by the way?
DM your PayPal email if not
Thanks!!
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #612
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christube View Post
I just posted a shootout of around a dozen different tube units on mixbus for comparison, it’s in the ‘highend’ forum
I think you’ve got the wrong thread. This thread is about the Stam ADG which is neither tube nor a mixbus compressor.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #613
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I think you’ve got the wrong thread. This thread is about the Stam ADG which is neither tube nor a mixbus compressor.
Looks like he spammed a bunch of different threads this morning.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #614
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Looks like he spammed a bunch of different threads this morning.
That’s what I was guessing. Lame.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump