The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA76 ADG
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
Does anyone else’s seem noticeably noisy? I’m still trying to get the hang of this but am getting frustrated by how high the noise floor seems. The A and D revisions seem to be around the same level of noise. I’ve tried various ways of gain staging it and the noise floor seems to always audibly creep in fairly easily. For example, if I try to feed it a hotter signal to get around that, I end up having to turn down the input almost all the way counterclockwise and when I try to compensate the noise floor hovers around -70dbfs. Am I just not used to how these behave?

I would say the behaviour on mine echoes Funkybot's notes above. There's noise, but it is really low around Unity. Overall I would consider my unit quiet in all respects as the noise floor doesn't interfere with anything once everything has been mixed and mastered.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Same.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
1176's are generally known for being noisy and I don't think the Stam units are any exception. If you hear otherwise though, please post back.
I’m curious, have you used a real 1176? A vintage Urei Rev A certainly isn’t a quiet unit, but a Urei Rev D through H or the UA reissue is not noisy at all. If the source, mic, preamp and/or other outboard gear are noisy any kind of compression will magnify the noise floor. I use two Urei Rev F’s day in and day out and I’ve never had any issues with noise.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear
I'm not disagreeing about it being noisy, nor am I trying to definitely state it should be noisy. I have limited experience [on the client side] with UA reissues and Purple MC77s, and mostly use plugins, so I'm not claiming to be an expert on 1176's. I had the same questions about the noise myself. In fact, earlier, in this very thread, I asked about the lack of a perceivable difference between Rev's A and D, which wasn't what I was expecting, and Josh indicated there was a slight difference in volume (I don't hear/see it).

When I got the units I did some research on 1176 noise just to try to get a baseline as to what normal is, and I came across a bunch of information that made me think ~72db at unity (no input, running +4dBu levels from line-in/outs) may not be that out of line. For instance:

Here's the UA page on the reissues (note the >70db signal to noise ratio):
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ting-Amplifier

Purple Audio MC77 - which is an improved circuit still has a >81db signal to noise ratio:
https://www.purpleaudio.com/reviews/mc76/

Here's some info on the Group DIY forum saying about -80dBu is normal for an 1176 circuit:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSE...9019#msg839019

Not to mention the countless other results that come up when you Google "1176 noise" - including tons of theads on Gearslutz covering Urei, Universal Audio, and even Klark Technic. Just the first few I clicked on:

UA 1176LN noisy - normal?

1176-KT owners: output noise and other concerns--normal?

Would be nice to have solid references as to what normal is for various units. The Stam unit sounds great, but there's definitely a noise floor to contend with. The question I still have is: is the noise floor higher than it should be or is this within normal bounds for these particular revs.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I'm not disagreeing about it being noisy, nor am I trying to definitely state it should be noisy. I have limited experience [on the client side] with UA reissues and Purple MC77s, and mostly use plugins, so I'm not claiming to be an expert on 1176's. I had the same questions about the noise myself. In fact, earlier, in this very thread, I asked about the lack of a perceivable difference between Rev's A and D, which wasn't what I was expecting, and Josh indicated there was a slight difference in volume (I don't hear/see it).

When I got the units I did some research on 1176 noise just to try to get a baseline as to what normal is, and I came across a bunch of information that made me think ~72db at unity (no input, running +4dBu levels from line-in/outs) may not be that out of line. For instance:

Here's the UA page on the reissues (note the >70db signal to noise ratio):
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ting-Amplifier

Purple Audio MC77 - which is an improved circuit still has a >81db signal to noise ratio:
https://www.purpleaudio.com/reviews/mc76/

Here's some info on the Group DIY forum saying about -80dBu is normal for an 1176 circuit:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSE...9019#msg839019

Not to mention the countless other results that come up when you Google "1176 noise" - including tons of theads on Gearslutz covering Urei, Universal Audio, and even Klark Technic. Just the first few I clicked on:

UA 1176LN noisy - normal?

1176-KT owners: output noise and other concerns--normal?

Would be nice to have solid references as to what normal is for various units. The Stam unit sounds great, but there's definitely a noise floor to contend with. The question I still have is: is the noise floor higher than it should be or is this within normal bounds for these particular revs.
It sounds like we've both had the exact same thought process. For starters, I had the same experience as you with the A and D revisions. Mine don't really have much of a perceived difference. The noise floor is definitely about the same (and around -70dbfs at unity) and you really have to turn down the input pretty far if you're feeding it a +4 line level signal. I was hoping to be able to push the noise floor down a bit by feeding it a slightly hotter signal, but it already starts grabbing pretty hard when it's down around 9 o'clock on the input. I gotta do a little more poking around with it before emailing Stam so I have a better idea of what's going on, but if this doesn't seem normal to others then maybe our units have issues.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
It sounds like we've both had the exact same thought process. For starters, I had the same experience as you with the A and D revisions. Mine don't really have much of a perceived difference. The noise floor is definitely about the same (and around -70dbfs at unity) and you really have to turn down the input pretty far if you're feeding it a +4 line level signal. I was hoping to be able to push the noise floor down a bit by feeding it a slightly hotter signal, but it already starts grabbing pretty hard when it's down around 9 o'clock on the input. I gotta do a little more poking around with it before emailing Stam so I have a better idea of what's going on, but if this doesn't seem normal to others then maybe our units have issues.
From other responses/posts in this thread, this seems like the normal noise floor for this unit, not necessarily defective units. I'm just not sure how much different the noise floor is compared to a Universal Audio Rev D reissue, or some of the other available hardware options (Audioscape Rev A, Hairball clones, Klark Technic, Warm, etc.). There doesn't seem to be a good resource for finding at the noise-floor at unity for the various hardware.
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Just had a chance to use my ADG while tracking vocals (Stam 1073EQ > U67 > ADG rev A) and snare (Stam 1073EQ > D19/SM57 > ADG rev A).
The ADG sounds fantastic for sure.
Old 16th August 2019
No ‘ noise ‘ here on my Stam Rev A or my new ADG.

The ADG sounds stunning !
Old 16th August 2019
I think Stam gear is super quality for the price
Old 17th August 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
Just had a chance to use my ADG while tracking vocals (Stam 1073EQ > U67 > ADG rev A) and snare (Stam 1073EQ > D19/SM57 > ADG rev A).
The ADG sounds fantastic for sure.
I am very pleased to read this

Thank your for commenting
Old 18th August 2019
mostly using mine on vocal, snare and acoustic guitar. don't know why but rev A always wins. the most smooth and meaty sounding. followed by G and D never gets used. whats your take on it?
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I am very pleased to read this

Thank your for commenting
You're welcome.
It's just a fantastic compressor.
You might as well check out my last comment in the 1073EQ thread.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
mostly using mine on vocal, snare and acoustic guitar. don't know why but rev A always wins. the most smooth and meaty sounding. followed by G and D never gets used. whats your take on it?
Same for me.

It's not that I don't like D, I just really like A and G.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Nut

Just received shipping notification for a long anticipated pair and I am mostly in shock at the thought that these will soon be installed and in use.

Many Thanks Joshua and the whole Stam team for seeing these unique and special projects through! Looking forward to the SA-670 (and more).
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Nut

Today was a good day! Thank you Stam team!

Top right is reserved for the SA-670 preorder. Saving towards a pair of Pultecs for underneath.

This stuff just sounds too good.
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA76 ADG-0285f34a-d34d-4eb9-b481-149f0dcfe9a8.jpg   Stam Audio SA76 ADG-ad87633b-3b8f-46c2-a1ff-43b0b0a81a9f.jpg  
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutrhythm View Post
Today was a good day! Thank you Stam team!

Top right is reserved for the SA-670 preorder. Saving towards a pair of Pultecs for underneath.

This stuff just sounds too good.
I think you should leave some space over and/or under the tube units. I guess they get very hot, like most other good tube units.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Ive been worried about that. Anyone have thoughts on rack fans for the rear? I have 1/2 (horizontal) vented rack panels. Ive considered one in between the Stamchild and EQ pair, and one under the eq pair. Might that be enough?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Im about to pull the trigger, seems to be a great versatile comp, great job Stam !! i already have a hairball audio blue stripe (rack version) wonder how it compares to it.
in the stam web somebody wrote this in the review:

Mark – August 22, 2019

The SA-76ADG is a brilliant box, having 3 revisions in one. It has a rich, elegant and harmonically dense sound that will sweeten and add vibe to anything you use it on. And the price is incredible.

My only constructive feedback and the reason for the missing star are these few things. 1) The compression behavior of this box does not have the control that a typical 1176 has. If you’re looking for something to really clamp down and add smack to a source, this isn’t the box. It has the flavor of a 76 (3 different 76’s!), but the compression behavior is much gentler. 2) The detents of the input and output pots make setting levels challenging because their fine movement, especially on the input, has a very coarse effect. One detent might make a much more dramatic change than needed. Also, I have a pair of ADG’s and because of the slight differences in each unit’s input pots I can’t get them to match for a stereo pair because the detent’s leap-frog each other. 3) This is a non-issue but aesthetically, I’m not sure why the silkscreen for the revision radio-buttons are labeled “meter” when it should be labeled “revision” and the OFF button is labeled “on.”

That constructive criticism aside, I love my 2 ADG’s and won’t part with them anytime soon. Great value for the price. Thanks, Stam.

i wonder how much gente the compression behavior would be in the SA76ADG against the Urei , UA1176 reissue
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNproyect View Post
Im about to pull the trigger, seems to be a great versatile comp, great job Stam !! i already have a hairball audio blue stripe (rack version) wonder how it compares to it.
in the stam web somebody wrote this in the review:

Mark – August 22, 2019

The SA-76ADG is a brilliant box, having 3 revisions in one. It has a rich, elegant and harmonically dense sound that will sweeten and add vibe to anything you use it on. And the price is incredible.

My only constructive feedback and the reason for the missing star are these few things. 1) The compression behavior of this box does not have the control that a typical 1176 has. If you’re looking for something to really clamp down and add smack to a source, this isn’t the box. It has the flavor of a 76 (3 different 76’s!), but the compression behavior is much gentler. 2) The detents of the input and output pots make setting levels challenging because their fine movement, especially on the input, has a very coarse effect. One detent might make a much more dramatic change than needed. Also, I have a pair of ADG’s and because of the slight differences in each unit’s input pots I can’t get them to match for a stereo pair because the detent’s leap-frog each other. 3) This is a non-issue but aesthetically, I’m not sure why the silkscreen for the revision radio-buttons are labeled “meter” when it should be labeled “revision” and the OFF button is labeled “on.”

That constructive criticism aside, I love my 2 ADG’s and won’t part with them anytime soon. Great value for the price. Thanks, Stam.

i wonder how much gente the compression behavior would be in the SA76ADG against the Urei , UA1176 reissue
As I've noted here and elsewhere, I share the same view of that reviewer. They sound just lovely, tone-wise, but they don't clamp down and control the way other 1176s I've used to. So for a given level and gain reduction amount, my Hairball or WA76s will have a higher RMS level compared to the peaks. Both those units will really lock peaks in place. The Stam struggles somewhat to do this. But I still use it because the tone is lovely. I mitigate the Stam's peakiness by editing big peaks in the DAW before sending them out to the ADG.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
As I've noted here and elsewhere, I share the same view of that reviewer. They sound just lovely, tone-wise, but they don't clamp down and control the way other 1176s I've used to. So for a given level and gain reduction amount, my Hairball or WA76s will have a higher RMS level compared to the peaks. Both those units will really lock peaks in place. The Stam struggles somewhat to do this. But I still use it because the tone is lovely. I mitigate the Stam's peakiness by editing big peaks in the DAW before sending them out to the ADG.
oh , but can you push it hard in general ?
when compressing vocals hard about 8:1 or 20:1 more than -15db , how the SA-76ADG behaves ?
i will use it mainly for (in the face) vocals

Last edited by LMNproyect; 1 week ago at 05:10 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutrhythm View Post
Ive been worried about that. Anyone have thoughts on rack fans for the rear? I have 1/2 (horizontal) vented rack panels. Ive considered one in between the Stamchild and EQ pair, and one under the eq pair. Might that be enough?
Not to derail but this is always worth mentioning. I think you’ll be good with just vented rack panels in between hot gear. Unless the room is overly hot. I find my interfaces and tube gear, being the loners that they are, usually want some space. Some solid state stuff that doesn’t get hot I stack right up. The Stam 1073s are like that too. I was quite surprised how cool they stay. Sound amazing as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNproyect View Post
oh , but can you push it hard in general ?
when compressing vocals hard about 8:1 or 20:1 more than -15db , how the SA-76ADG behaves ?
i will use it mainly for (in the face) vocals
You can totally get lots of GR out of it, it just lets more of initial peaks through than you might expect of an 1176. It's not unworkable or anything, just different. It won't totally just level out the waveform and lock everything down the way other units will. But you can still get a nice upfront sound with it and the tone is exceptionally good, good enough that I still use it all the time even though that means some waveform management in the DAW.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can totally get lots of GR out of it, it just lets more of initial peaks through than you might expect of an 1176. It's not unworkable or anything, just different. It won't totally just level out the waveform and lock everything down the way other units will. But you can still get a nice upfront sound with it and the tone is exceptionally good, good enough that I still use it all the time even though that means some waveform management in the DAW.
oooh, that sounds strange. First time that I heard that Stam 76 are so different to an Urei. Joshuas aim was always to be so near as possible to the real thing.

especially the attack of an old urei is a importand thing.

Have other users experience ?

Thanx Frank
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whenever I finally get my pair I'm going to try them out and, if the grab isn't to my liking (sounds like it might not be), I'm either going to try to find out how to modify them to be faster or just sell them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn P View Post
oooh, that sounds strange. First time that I heard that Stam 76 are so different to an Urei. Joshuas aim was always to be so near as possible to the real thing.

especially the attack of an old urei is a importand thing.

Have other users experience ?

Thanx Frank
The person in that review has the same experience and I know one other person who thinks the same. But Josh knows about my take on it and he stands by the attack behavior and says it’s just like the Ureis he tested. And maybe it is.

Again, I still like and use the ADG.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I mostly agree with the recent discussion, it seems very mellow which I like. Using it, I feel like I got lucky, like picking up a vintage piece with some X factor. For me, the box tone + the characteristics of the action makes it PERFECT for tracking.

I have a Hairball Fet 500 Rev A, which in comparison has a way more forward and aggressive box tone, regardless of settings. I find that trick useful for mixing, for bringing these forward like snare, elec gtrs, rock vocals, but for me it's such an obvious sonic stamp that I don't like using it for tracking, it's committing too much.

The Stam kills for tracking, I leave it parked on Rev A 90% of the time, just beautiful sounding. Soft natural action and a very pleasing saturation, basically makes anything sound better, including vocals. Love it on bass too. Again this is basically regardless of settings, it's just the Rev A box tone. The Rev D and Rev G are more transparent, but share the more mellow, what I would call "natural" action. Amazing to have those two additional options, but the Rev A in particular blows me away as a tone machine. Rare to find a unit that actually enhances, so I'll never, ever sell this unit. Again feel like I got lucky.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
I mostly agree with the recent discussion, it seems very mellow which I like. Using it, I feel like I got lucky, like picking up a vintage piece with some X factor. For me, the box tone + the characteristics of the action makes it PERFECT for tracking.

I have a Hairball Fet 500 Rev A, which in comparison has a way more forward and aggressive box tone, regardless of settings. I find that trick useful for mixing, for bringing these forward like snare, elec gtrs, rock vocals, but for me it's such an obvious sonic stamp that I don't like using it for tracking, it's committing too much.

The Stam kills for tracking, I leave it parked on Rev A 90% of the time, just beautiful sounding. Soft natural action and a very pleasing saturation, basically makes anything sound better, including vocals. Love it on bass too. Again this is basically regardless of settings, it's just the Rev A box tone. The Rev D and Rev G are more transparent, but share the more mellow, what I would call "natural" action. Amazing to have those two additional options, but the Rev A in particular blows me away as a tone machine. Rare to find a unit that actually enhances, so I'll never, ever sell this unit. Again feel like I got lucky.

I totally agree with what he said. Its a beautiful colour. I use it daily because of the same reason. Espcially as he said , i leave it mostly on REV A as the tone is lush. I think its a teeny bit more noisy than the REV D and G. And the REV D isn't as 'bright' as the universal audio remake.

About the noise level... i think the originals are noisy and i think the saturation thing the REV A does also adds to the subtle compression and brings the noise floor up maybe.
I just boost the pre going into it more so compensate any noise floor issues. And if its a quiet finger picking acoustic recording i just dont use the REV A.

Sometimes , each source / mic is different, but sometimes the REV A is too much colour for say my Stam U67. As that one works better with the REV D setting i find.

I also keep the input on say 8:30pm for most of the time

its a stunning sound though as you said - very 'smooth' sounding for a no tube unit
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
good to hear that its great for tracking
Bowzin and Ragan:
Do you think that i will be able to push the SA-76ADG this way in "vocals" while mixing like this video ?: (i don´t care much about smashing instruments with the comp)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Gm9zimVfo&t=119s
Old 1 week ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post

This is a beautiful comment, you truly made my day

I always let my ears decide. Just one component makes all the difference in the world. I use one that I consider much closer to the original lush tone of the 70's. It's just much harder to find and no other clone uses it

I guess small things make the difference. Well that and the fact that you have all 3 revisions!!

Thank you so much!!
Old 1 week ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Whenever I finally get my pair I'm going to try them out and, if the grab isn't to my liking (sounds like it might not be), I'm either going to try to find out how to modify them to be faster or just sell them.
As simple as changing the Jfet for another model. All other manufacturers use the "other one". I use another one for the reason mentioned above. If you want it like all the others let me know and I will put those in your 76. It will sound pretty bad but it will grab whatever you want it to grab.

I did find a new one that might do both. Need to test it these coming weeks

The ADG has always been chosen as the best sounding 1176 by customers. Why somebody would change that is beyond me but each to their own and the customer is always right.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search