The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA76 ADG
Old 5th August 2019
  #541
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
Does anyone else’s seem noticeably noisy? I’m still trying to get the hang of this but am getting frustrated by how high the noise floor seems. The A and D revisions seem to be around the same level of noise. I’ve tried various ways of gain staging it and the noise floor seems to always audibly creep in fairly easily. For example, if I try to feed it a hotter signal to get around that, I end up having to turn down the input almost all the way counterclockwise and when I try to compensate the noise floor hovers around -70dbfs. Am I just not used to how these behave?

I would say the behaviour on mine echoes Funkybot's notes above. There's noise, but it is really low around Unity. Overall I would consider my unit quiet in all respects as the noise floor doesn't interfere with anything once everything has been mixed and mastered.
Old 6th August 2019
  #542
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Same.
Old 10th August 2019
  #543
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
1176's are generally known for being noisy and I don't think the Stam units are any exception. If you hear otherwise though, please post back.
I’m curious, have you used a real 1176? A vintage Urei Rev A certainly isn’t a quiet unit, but a Urei Rev D through H or the UA reissue is not noisy at all. If the source, mic, preamp and/or other outboard gear are noisy any kind of compression will magnify the noise floor. I use two Urei Rev F’s day in and day out and I’ve never had any issues with noise.
Old 10th August 2019
  #544
Lives for gear
I'm not disagreeing about it being noisy, nor am I trying to definitely state it should be noisy. I have limited experience [on the client side] with UA reissues and Purple MC77s, and mostly use plugins, so I'm not claiming to be an expert on 1176's. I had the same questions about the noise myself. In fact, earlier, in this very thread, I asked about the lack of a perceivable difference between Rev's A and D, which wasn't what I was expecting, and Josh indicated there was a slight difference in volume (I don't hear/see it).

When I got the units I did some research on 1176 noise just to try to get a baseline as to what normal is, and I came across a bunch of information that made me think ~72db at unity (no input, running +4dBu levels from line-in/outs) may not be that out of line. For instance:

Here's the UA page on the reissues (note the >70db signal to noise ratio):
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ting-Amplifier

Purple Audio MC77 - which is an improved circuit still has a >81db signal to noise ratio:
https://www.purpleaudio.com/reviews/mc76/

Here's some info on the Group DIY forum saying about -80dBu is normal for an 1176 circuit:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSE...9019#msg839019

Not to mention the countless other results that come up when you Google "1176 noise" - including tons of theads on Gearslutz covering Urei, Universal Audio, and even Klark Technic. Just the first few I clicked on:

UA 1176LN noisy - normal?

1176-KT owners: output noise and other concerns--normal?

Would be nice to have solid references as to what normal is for various units. The Stam unit sounds great, but there's definitely a noise floor to contend with. The question I still have is: is the noise floor higher than it should be or is this within normal bounds for these particular revs.
Old 12th August 2019
  #545
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I'm not disagreeing about it being noisy, nor am I trying to definitely state it should be noisy. I have limited experience [on the client side] with UA reissues and Purple MC77s, and mostly use plugins, so I'm not claiming to be an expert on 1176's. I had the same questions about the noise myself. In fact, earlier, in this very thread, I asked about the lack of a perceivable difference between Rev's A and D, which wasn't what I was expecting, and Josh indicated there was a slight difference in volume (I don't hear/see it).

When I got the units I did some research on 1176 noise just to try to get a baseline as to what normal is, and I came across a bunch of information that made me think ~72db at unity (no input, running +4dBu levels from line-in/outs) may not be that out of line. For instance:

Here's the UA page on the reissues (note the >70db signal to noise ratio):
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ting-Amplifier

Purple Audio MC77 - which is an improved circuit still has a >81db signal to noise ratio:
https://www.purpleaudio.com/reviews/mc76/

Here's some info on the Group DIY forum saying about -80dBu is normal for an 1176 circuit:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSE...9019#msg839019

Not to mention the countless other results that come up when you Google "1176 noise" - including tons of theads on Gearslutz covering Urei, Universal Audio, and even Klark Technic. Just the first few I clicked on:

UA 1176LN noisy - normal?

1176-KT owners: output noise and other concerns--normal?

Would be nice to have solid references as to what normal is for various units. The Stam unit sounds great, but there's definitely a noise floor to contend with. The question I still have is: is the noise floor higher than it should be or is this within normal bounds for these particular revs.
It sounds like we've both had the exact same thought process. For starters, I had the same experience as you with the A and D revisions. Mine don't really have much of a perceived difference. The noise floor is definitely about the same (and around -70dbfs at unity) and you really have to turn down the input pretty far if you're feeding it a +4 line level signal. I was hoping to be able to push the noise floor down a bit by feeding it a slightly hotter signal, but it already starts grabbing pretty hard when it's down around 9 o'clock on the input. I gotta do a little more poking around with it before emailing Stam so I have a better idea of what's going on, but if this doesn't seem normal to others then maybe our units have issues.
Old 12th August 2019
  #546
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
It sounds like we've both had the exact same thought process. For starters, I had the same experience as you with the A and D revisions. Mine don't really have much of a perceived difference. The noise floor is definitely about the same (and around -70dbfs at unity) and you really have to turn down the input pretty far if you're feeding it a +4 line level signal. I was hoping to be able to push the noise floor down a bit by feeding it a slightly hotter signal, but it already starts grabbing pretty hard when it's down around 9 o'clock on the input. I gotta do a little more poking around with it before emailing Stam so I have a better idea of what's going on, but if this doesn't seem normal to others then maybe our units have issues.
From other responses/posts in this thread, this seems like the normal noise floor for this unit, not necessarily defective units. I'm just not sure how much different the noise floor is compared to a Universal Audio Rev D reissue, or some of the other available hardware options (Audioscape Rev A, Hairball clones, Klark Technic, Warm, etc.). There doesn't seem to be a good resource for finding at the noise-floor at unity for the various hardware.
Old 16th August 2019
  #547
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Just had a chance to use my ADG while tracking vocals (Stam 1073EQ > U67 > ADG rev A) and snare (Stam 1073EQ > D19/SM57 > ADG rev A).
The ADG sounds fantastic for sure.
Old 16th August 2019
  #548
No ‘ noise ‘ here on my Stam Rev A or my new ADG.

The ADG sounds stunning !
Old 16th August 2019
  #549
I think Stam gear is super quality for the price
Old 17th August 2019
  #550
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
Just had a chance to use my ADG while tracking vocals (Stam 1073EQ > U67 > ADG rev A) and snare (Stam 1073EQ > D19/SM57 > ADG rev A).
The ADG sounds fantastic for sure.
I am very pleased to read this

Thank your for commenting
Old 18th August 2019
  #551
mostly using mine on vocal, snare and acoustic guitar. don't know why but rev A always wins. the most smooth and meaty sounding. followed by G and D never gets used. whats your take on it?
Old 18th August 2019
  #552
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I am very pleased to read this

Thank your for commenting
You're welcome.
It's just a fantastic compressor.
You might as well check out my last comment in the 1073EQ thread.
Old 21st August 2019
  #553
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
mostly using mine on vocal, snare and acoustic guitar. don't know why but rev A always wins. the most smooth and meaty sounding. followed by G and D never gets used. whats your take on it?
Same for me.

It's not that I don't like D, I just really like A and G.
Old 4th September 2019
  #554
Gear Nut
 

Just received shipping notification for a long anticipated pair and I am mostly in shock at the thought that these will soon be installed and in use.

Many Thanks Joshua and the whole Stam team for seeing these unique and special projects through! Looking forward to the SA-670 (and more).
Old 7th September 2019
  #555
Gear Nut
 

Today was a good day! Thank you Stam team!

Top right is reserved for the SA-670 preorder. Saving towards a pair of Pultecs for underneath.

This stuff just sounds too good.
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA76 ADG-0285f34a-d34d-4eb9-b481-149f0dcfe9a8.jpg   Stam Audio SA76 ADG-ad87633b-3b8f-46c2-a1ff-43b0b0a81a9f.jpg  
Old 8th September 2019
  #556
Gear Maniac
 
01010110's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutrhythm View Post
Today was a good day! Thank you Stam team!

Top right is reserved for the SA-670 preorder. Saving towards a pair of Pultecs for underneath.

This stuff just sounds too good.
I think you should leave some space over and/or under the tube units. I guess they get very hot, like most other good tube units.
Old 10th September 2019
  #557
Gear Nut
 

Ive been worried about that. Anyone have thoughts on rack fans for the rear? I have 1/2 (horizontal) vented rack panels. Ive considered one in between the Stamchild and EQ pair, and one under the eq pair. Might that be enough?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump