The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA76 ADG
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Which changes do you mean?

If you want me to make you a unit with JJ's I would have to, I would not be too happy but in the end the customer is who pays for the build. i just want to offer what sounds best, it also has my name on it
Thanks Joshua. I do want to trust your sonic opinion on the matter. It was surprising to see such a big (imo) change, and felt like it was not the same product I put a deposit on for. If it's truly an option to keep the audio path circuit original, that's encouraging. I will give it a day to consider.

And I do see more ADGs recently posted on your Facebook page, so I'll continue to hope I'm somewhere in that batch.

Update: Stam shipped my ADG and walked me through the Stamchild changes. Back on the bandwagon.

Last edited by adumbfish; 22nd July 2019 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Never got an email

Hi there. I preordered one one these back in May 2018. I got a reply in July saying 8 weeks. Never heard another thing since. I’ve sent a few emails through the stam website but have yet to receive a reply. I expected to wait but it seems maybe something else is going on here.
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Maniac
I've received notice from DHL that my ADG is in the country (Canada). Currently floating around the GTA as DHL seems to have sent it to the wrong facility by mistake Nevertheless, looking forward to putting it to use! I was in the first 100 on order, and while its been a long wait, I do appreciate the periodic communication from the Stam team. No doubt they're overloaded but the model of manufacturing quantities first and then selling to the public what is presently in stock seems like a better model to keep people satisfied, unless you can hire a staff of 25 ppl all handy with a soldering iron!

Note to Canadians, there is a duty fee on import of approx $120 CDN
Old 23rd July 2019
You’ll be pleased ( I know a long wait ) but it’s a great unit. Totally pleasing sonically and also very well built.
Old 24th July 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You’ll be pleased ( I know a long wait ) but it’s a great unit. Totally pleasing sonically and also very well built.
Thank you Ian
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Thank you Ian
Just a fact sir.....

I’ve had four songs on the radio here in the UK this year, and for vocals all were using my vintage C12 into a V76 into Stams Rev A comp. lovely chain.
And now I own the ADG. ( after a long wait ) and the different tones it does is fantastic b

I have many other compressors and have owned others too ( like retro sta , vintage gates , Manley Vari Mu , la2a , 660 clone ..... ) but this ADG is a fantastic tool in my studio and my go to compressor !
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Nut

Trying Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevt View Post
Hi there. I preordered one one these back in May 2018. I got a reply in July saying 8 weeks. Never heard another thing since. I’ve sent a few emails through the stam website but have yet to receive a reply. I expected to wait but it seems maybe something else is going on here.
It seems I could’ve been more clear in my last post. I’m not really complaining about the wait. I was asking about my order here in the forum because I haven’t received a reply to several emails I have sent through the stam site. I want to make sure there isn’t a problem sending or receiving emails between the stam site & myself. Joshua is there a way to confirm this? Thanks.
Old 24th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
ADF updated delivery on new site next week!
Wasn't there supposed to be an area on new site where customers could check progress of orders? See where we are in queue etc?

Thanks
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dint10 View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be an area on new site where customers could check progress of orders? See where we are in queue etc?

Thanks
I hope not. I wouldn't want my data put up on a portal where someone could try guessing my name/email/whatever to see where I am on line. And none of us have created "Stam Accounts" with our purchases, so I don't know how that would work retroactively other than something like "enter your email and we'll look up your status." And if that's what you're thinking, I could see people abusing that either to steal data or trying to reach out to people to try to swap places in line in exchange for something. I don't personally know of any retailer large or small, or any custom builder that does anything like that. Best to keep customer data off any websites, unless the customer is logged in and authenticated, and in that scenario, only let them see their own info.
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dint10 View Post

Thanks
As someone who does web dev for a living I'm not sure how this would even work, or be that helpful. Once deposit was received, it would basically stay the same until development actually started, then it would go into a "being built" phase, which is essentially the same as them emailing people now to pay the balance, since production is starting...

Plus, someone would have to manually enter all the data into the site which would take a lot of time, and possible slow production down more.

I think maybe a global calendar page that basically shows what is being built would be helpful, and easy to manage. Like going to the page and seeing, "Pultec's being built now" and dates July 10 - 30 are blocked out, or something along those lines... Just spit balling
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
I think maybe a global calendar page that basically shows what is being built would be helpful, and easy to manage. Like going to the page and seeing, "Pultec's being built now" and dates July 10 - 30 are blocked out, or something along those lines... Just spit balling
I like the calendar approach. As long as it's kept up to date. Even regular blog entries. "We're currently building SA-1073EQs, Pultec's and Fairchild's." Next month: "we're going to start building SA4000's, Stamchild's to continue..."

If Josh can get Stam caught up on orders and take an "in-stock" approach, these kinds of issues will resolve themselves and they'll be making money hand over fist.
Old 25th July 2019
Here for the gear
Just received my ADG monday, and so far it sounds amazing! I was in the top 100, and later told I was number 20 on the list.... and yet I received serial # 331, so take it for what it is.... but the unit sounds great on first impressions!!!
Old 25th July 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHensberry View Post
Just received my ADG monday, and so far it sounds amazing! I was in the top 100, and later told I was number 20 on the list.... and yet I received serial # 331, so take it for what it is.... but the unit sounds great on first impressions!!!
Bare in mind that the ADG follows the SA76A serial number

I believe we made 200 of those so yours would be essentially number 131

150 guys made it to the first 100 price

We lost money on every sale of this unit, manufacturing one was about 600 bucks, we sold them for 490

The important thing is that people are enjoying them, we have raised the price and decreased the cost of making them (we get faster at it every time, this less labour time)

More orders will come and make up for it and we will see some profit eventually

It took us 2 years to design this. Most challenging thing we have done with the Fairchild
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a fact sir.....

I’ve had four songs on the radio here in the UK this year, and for vocals all were using my vintage C12 into a V76 into Stams Rev A comp. lovely chain.
And now I own the ADG. ( after a long wait ) and the different tones it does is fantastic b

I have many other compressors and have owned others too ( like retro sta , vintage gates , Manley Vari Mu , la2a , 660 clone ..... ) but this ADG is a fantastic tool in my studio and my go to compressor !
Do you think the A option of the ADG sounds the same as your Stam Rev A?
Old 25th July 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Do you think the A option of the ADG sounds the same as your Stam Rev A?
It's the same
Old 25th July 2019
I did an A/B and they sounded the same to me....
Old 25th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Bare in mind that the ADG follows the SA76A serial number

I believe we made 200 of those so yours would be essentially number 131

150 guys made it to the first 100 price

We lost money on every sale of this unit, manufacturing one was about 600 bucks, we sold them for 490

The important thing is that people are enjoying them, we have raised the price and decreased the cost of making them (we get faster at it every time, this less labour time)

It took us 2 years to design this. Most challenging thing we have done with the Fairchild
good to know! It sounds amazing! Thanks!
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did an A/B and they sounded the same to me....
Interesting thanks. My impression is the Stam ADG in Rev A mode is more usable/versatile than my Hairball FET 500 Rev A. The Stam is more silky/smooth saturation and doesnt mangle the original tone, while the Hairball is more aggressive and pronounced in its saturation. Stamps its sound more on any setting, so less versatile especially for tracking. The Stam ADG is better for me for tracking. Sounds great!
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Interesting thanks. My impression is the Stam ADG in Rev A mode is more usable/versatile than my Hairball FET 500 Rev A. The Stam is more silky/smooth saturation and doesnt mangle the original tone, while the Hairball is more aggressive and pronounced in its saturation. Stamps its sound more on any setting, so less versatile especially for tracking. The Stam ADG is better for me for tracking. Sounds great!
I’ve got both too and concur with your take. The Hairball is heavier handed for sure, both in its leveling action and its saturation. The ADG is sort of more ‘elegant’ sounding.
Old 25th July 2019
Can anyone compare to the BAC500? Thats my only 76' style atm...
Old 27th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I will try to be very clear on this

ADG

G revision, transformer-less.
2:1 ratio: Yes
Super Slow Attack: No, only from the second batch onward (which is the picture now on the site). The first 150 do not have it on the faceplate print.
Stereo Link: No

ADF
F revision: Cinemag B11148 independent output transformer. O-12 input transformer
2:1 ratio: Yes
Super Slow Attack: Yes, all batches
Stereo Link: Yes
Hey Joshua,
is it (still) right that the ADF has a stereo link?
I ask because I got an support email some days ago who says "no stereo link" at both units. ?!?

Is the "all button mode" on the ADF possible?
(I ask because the buttons by them self are not the same 2, 4, 8 20)
So I aask my self if pressing all buttons brings the original all button mode?

Thanks a lot for your support and your fantastic products.
Frank
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm very sorry to read that. Best of luck in turning a profit on the ADG within the next year! It is a very cool piece of gear.
Old 2nd August 2019
Gear Head

I have received this and it is amazing... as is the SA47, the two SA67's, the SA73 dual pre-amp, the SA4000 and hoping days way from the SA4000mk2 and the Stamchild with the 6BA6 tubes (brilliant solution)... and I just ordered the SA251 and will and can wait for it!
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currie View Post
I have received this and it is amazing... as is the SA47, the two SA67's, the SA73 dual pre-amp, the SA4000 and hoping days way from the SA4000mk2 and the Stamchild with the 6BA6 tubes (brilliant solution)... and I just ordered the SA251 and will and can wait for it!
Is there a Stam product you *don't* have?
Old 3rd August 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn P View Post
Hey Joshua,
is it (still) right that the ADF has a stereo link?
I ask because I got an support email some days ago who says "no stereo link" at both units. ?!?

Is the "all button mode" on the ADF possible?
(I ask because the buttons by them self are not the same 2, 4, 8 20)
So I aask my self if pressing all buttons brings the original all button mode?

Thanks a lot for your support and your fantastic products.
Frank
Hello

1) Stereolink is available as an optional upgrade
We would have to manually match all 6 JFET and add a board and calibrate
Price will be reasonable

2) Yes, all buttons in does work
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello

1) Stereolink is available as an optional upgrade
We would have to manually match all 6 JFET and add a board and calibrate
Price will be reasonable

2) Yes, all buttons in does work
both very cool ! thanx.
so I hope you contact us for the stereo option before sending.

atb Frank
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Nut

Does anyone else’s seem noticeably noisy? I’m still trying to get the hang of this but am getting frustrated by how high the noise floor seems. The A and D revisions seem to be around the same level of noise. I’ve tried various ways of gain staging it and the noise floor seems to always audibly creep in fairly easily. For example, if I try to feed it a hotter signal to get around that, I end up having to turn down the input almost all the way counterclockwise and when I try to compensate the noise floor hovers around -70dbfs. Am I just not used to how these behave?
Old 5th August 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
Does anyone else’s seem noticeably noisy? I’m still trying to get the hang of this but am getting frustrated by how high the noise floor seems. The A and D revisions seem to be around the same level of noise. I’ve tried various ways of gain staging it and the noise floor seems to always audibly creep in fairly easily. For example, if I try to feed it a hotter signal to get around that, I end up having to turn down the input almost all the way counterclockwise and when I try to compensate the noise floor hovers around -70dbfs. Am I just not used to how these behave?
Please contact [email protected] so we can help you troubleshoot this

Thanks!
Josh
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Please contact [email protected] so we can help you troubleshoot this

Thanks!
Josh
Cool, thanks! I have a feeling this is abnormal since I haven't heard this complaint from anyone before. Tonight I'm gonna do some more specific tests with it so I can email you guys with more concrete info about what's going on. Thanks again. (And I can echo others who have said that you guys are lightning fast with support / fixing things when they aren't going right.)
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
Cool, thanks! I have a feeling this is abnormal since I haven't heard this complaint from anyone before. Tonight I'm gonna do some more specific tests with it so I can email you guys with more concrete info about what's going on. Thanks again. (And I can echo others who have said that you guys are lightning fast with support / fixing things when they aren't going right.)
About -70db seems par for the course for my unit. The gain staging is very hot, so the input knob stays parked between 48 and 36 and the output is usually at noon or a bit lower. Increasing the output will really make the noise loud. So just checked: if I've got the input set between 48 and 36 (which is above unity) and the output at 30, I'm seeing about -72db on revision A (using an RME interface with +4dBu line levels).

Some plots of the threshold were posted back earlier in the thread and you can see the -70-ish db noise floor there too. 1176's are generally known for being noisy and I don't think the Stam units are any exception. If you hear otherwise though, please post back.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search