The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
extend your Pultec into a full-function EQ
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hardware extend your Pultec into a full-function EQ

Do you love your Pultec EQP-1A, or EQP-1A3? I thought so.

Love it so much you wished you could do more with it? Today, I am introducing ‘more.’

The peqex 5+ has been designed to be patched in front of your EQP as a pure extender and supply the ‘missing’ functions. Let’s check these out, from left to right on the faceplate:
  • First up is a first-order low cut, designed to be used in combination with the low frequency shelves of the EQP. You can set a low cut and then sculpt it with the shelves, or use the cut to finish off your shelves.
  • Next are the lower-mid bells, located in that EQP no-man’s land. One boosts, one attenuates, both by 12dB, max. The centre frequencies contain zero surprises and slot in beautifully with the other bands. The bandwidth control has been carefully modelled on that of the high bell of the EQP.
  • The third bell is high-mid attenuation, because this band needs reining in, as well as boosting. This bell is in every aspect the compliment of the high boost on the EQP. 18dB of cut, maximum.
  • Finally there is a high shelf boost, with a range of corner frequencies to add some extra oxygen to the music. There is 12dB of boost, max.

With the peqex 5+ your EQP becomes a full-function equalizer: high and low shelves, 2 mid bells, all with that cool concurrent boost and attenuation. The low cut completes the picture.

On all levels the peqex 5+ has been designed to be a true extension of your EQP; the details are on the announcement page.

Further points of interest: the peqex is fully passive and that you are in control of the makeup gain—and its signature. It has a stand-alone mode for added flexibility. Construction is hand-wired.

current status
The design has been completed and a prototype has been built, with production parts. It is being tested with studio pros. I expect to be ready to produce the first batch in about a month; ordering information will be the topic of an upcoming blog post. In the meanwhile, if you are interested, I would love to hear from you; drop me a line.

For more information, please check the announcement page.
Attached Thumbnails
extend your Pultec into a full-function EQ-peqex-front.jpg  
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

interesting concept. looking forward to more infos and an actual prototype.
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

hey fxs,

thanks for the encouragement.

the prototype is standing right next to me. pity you are not located in Berlin, else I could bring it over right now for some user testing.

ps: what kind of information would you like to see? I would be happy to add it to the announcement page.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

well, you could take a pic of your prototype and post it, if you don't mind.
what i don't fully understand is if i'll have to send in my Pultec for you to upgrade it, put your electronics in and switch the faceplate...
or is this a complete product, a ready made upgraded Pultec?

EDIT:

i think i got it, it's a completely seperate product, not an upgraded Pultec.
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

you got it, it is a separate, add-on product.

below is a pic of the prototype. as you can see the housing is very ‘proto’ (you got to stay flexible in this stage )
Attached Thumbnails
extend your Pultec into a full-function EQ-proto.jpg  
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

thanks for clearing that up.
the whole "Pultec extension/add on" had me a little bit
your product announcement page hints to Pulse Techniques as the only current Pultec manufacturer.
Does that mean your PEPEX5+ only works with the Pulse Techniques units?

Last edited by the fxs; 19th April 2018 at 01:29 PM..
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
your product announcement page hints to Pulse Techniques as the only current Pultec manufacturer.
for the real Pultec experience you got to go with Pulse Techniques, old, or new. there are plenty of other brands that make 1A3 EQs with different feature sets, components, build quality and/or price, and I think that is great; there is something there for everyone.

Quote:
Does that mean your PEPEX5+ only works with the Pulse Techniques units?
oh, it will work with any 1A3 clone from any brand.

the question is: will it make sense?

I have done everything I could to get the peqex to seamlessly fit with the feature set, the component choices and build quality of an original Pultec and offer that for a price that makes very much sense in relation to a Pultec.

with the variations that other brands have introduced, it is up to the owners of these 1A3 clones to decide if the peqex 5+ makes just as much sense to them.
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

update—

this morning was an exiting one: I brought the prototype over to Aaron’s studio for the first serious user test. He patched the peqex in front of one of his Pultec, added a bit of gain here and there (no biggie) and ran a variety of programme material and single tracks through the peqex–Pultec duo.

on a technical and functional level, everything worked without a hitch. also the taper of all 7 pots did not draw any attention to themselves, so Aaron could fully immerse himself into exploring the extend he could manipulate every track.

The peqex–Pultec duo proved to be general purpose; instead of being able to pull off the same manipulation on a wide variety of tracks, the duo provided a variety of manipulations, in response to what the tracks (and Aaron) asked for.

Aaron got really enthusiastic about the two lower mid bells (“worth the price of admission alone”). He would concurrently boost and attenuate in the 200/300/500Hz settings, combine that with low-shelf work on the Pultec, and finish it of with a low cut.

Aaron really wanted to find out what this setup did for transients. Verdict: “no rounding, no change.” I was also happy to hear that there is “none of that damage that certain input stages do to the signal.”

so, really everything super-duper? no. Aaron remarked “does it really have to be 3U?”
yeah I know, rack space is a scarce resource. so I’ll be looking into a 2U design.

hey, are you in Berlin and have a pultec or equivalent? you can drop me a line if you also want to participate in a user test.
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

update—

user testing tipped the balance and it is clear that 2U is the better size for the peqex.

so I redesigned the faceplate, and it was quite challenging to keep all that was good and working for the 3U version.

the result:
Attached Thumbnails
extend your Pultec into a full-function EQ-peqex-front.jpg  
Old 16th May 2018
Here for the gear

I have just posted a small FAQ.

got more questions? I’ll be happy to answer them!
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Nut

hey fellow gearslutz,

i happened to listen to peters peqex 5+ in my studio yesterday.

we tried it together with my retro 2a3 and the incredible q faktor, both pultec style eqs, one coloured, one ultra clean.
make up gain stage was a forssell preamp (set to +14db).

i was nothing short of amazed in terms of sound, and the added functions and frequencies are a perfect and flawless extension of the pultec concept, indeed.

other passive style eqs i own are knif soma, thermionic culture pullet, helios type 69 and michelangelo.

this was no shootout by any means, more a "show me how you work with the thing" type of meeting.
but the unit absolutely played in the same league than my other eqs and has a very huge, classy and incredibly effortless sound.

i met peter for the first time yesterday. he is a very friendly and accessible person- .
we will meet again for some more listening and putting the unit through its paces.
looking forward to that!

hit me with questions if you like, folks!

greetz to the slutz, johannes
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

hi Peter!

what's the current status?
any news?
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

hey fxs, sorry that I did not get back to you before (I did not get notified).

the good news is, this product is now officially available.

thanks for inquiring (and a friendly ), it made my day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

yeah, congrats!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search