The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 17th April 2018
News Desk Editor

TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface

TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface-tc2290-dt_p0d3x_top-front.jpg

TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT - Legendary Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Dedicated Desktop Interface and Signature Presets

Danish audio company recreates their legendary delay rack unit as a plug-in with a dedicated hardware interface

When the original 2290 Digital Delay hit the music world in 1985, it was lauded as nothing short of a revolution in sound.

Adopted by producers and FOH engineers as well as musicians such as David Gilmour, The Edge and Robben Ford, it set the benchmark for delay units, and quickly became an industry standard in professional studios and live effects rigs.

Due to its popularity, it had one of the longest production runs of any rack-mounted processor, and has since its discontinuation in 2005 become highly sought after on the vintage market.

Any creative musician’s dream

The new TC2290-DT aims to take up the sonic mantle of the original 2290 while radically reinventing the delay unit for a new generation of musicians, producers and engineers.

“Because we still have the original blueprints, we’ve been able to rework the 2290 from the ground up,” says Thomas Valter, Director of Product Management at TC ELECTRONIC.

“It retains the beautiful and dynamic modulated delays of the original, and fuses the plusses of plug-in technology with all the benefits of having a tactile control unit at your fingertips.”

Nailing that unique sound

Over the course of more than a year, TC Electronic had their team of engineers take apart four original units, each with their own distinct character, and measured their components from top to bottom.

By cross referencing the data step-by-step with the original schematics, their software engineers then recreated all the parameters until they achieved the unique 2290 sound.

"We have put a lot of effort into making it authentic in both its tone and controls. It is undoubtedly the ultimate emulation," says Thomas Valter.

Key features
  • Desktop controlled plug-in brings legendary TC2290 dynamic delay to your DAW
  • Complete delay solution with extensive modulation capabilities for your favorite audio software
  • High-quality tactile interface with authentic “look and feel” of celebrated TC2290 rack delay
  • Custom-designed signature presets featuring world-class artists and recording engineers

Details:

Available in stores: June 2018
Price: $349
Attached Thumbnails
TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface-tc2290-dt_p0d3x_rear.jpg   TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface-tc2290-dt_p0d3x_top-front.jpg   TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface-tc2290-dt_p0d3x_top.jpg  
Old 17th April 2018
I guess its cool but confused they went for a hardware control on this processor...never used one tho so maybe its an essential part of this delay...
Old 17th April 2018
Tc 2290 dt

$349 . ?!??

Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear
I love having hardware controllers for software. It's a fun idea, but you have to really really love it to get that. I'm more in line with the softube controller idea from a financial/deskspace perspective.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

WOW!! It sounds really good in those demos!

Ironically I'm not that interested in the remote, no matter how sexy it looks - and it does look SEXY! - but I'm thinking the remote is 50% copy protection as well, which is a smart idea I guess.
People have been asking about a 2290 plugin since forever, so in 2018, here it is!
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah... totally interested in a TC Electronics plugin tied to hardware. I still remember how great that worked out for me and other customers with Powercore = NO WAY in hell, TC!

And the hardware controller idea is ridiculous. I already have a keyboard on my desk if I need to press buttons... along with a beautiful 4K display... for everything else. Why anyone would wanna a put a dedicated controller next to it that can only control one delay device is... ridiculous. I guess there'll be more of them... one for each TC plugin, to pile next to it?

Uh-uh. Not a chance.

Last edited by javahut; 17th April 2018 at 02:37 PM..
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Nut

I had a powercore..i dont care . I want one.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Head

Md3 native with remote control as hw protection is the next, i gues
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Fark yeah!
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Yeeeeeeeeessssssss!!!!!

I loooove the controller and I applaude TC for doing this. It’s what a lot of us have been asking for for many many years! And at $349 it’s a steal. I’ll be picking one up on day one. I love my rackmount but it’s quite temperamental these days, so this is a more than welcome replacement!! Thanks TC !!!
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Nut

If it´s possible to buy it without the remote, i will buy it for i 349 USD!
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

In the Sweetwater demo video - Mitch says “ the hardware controller has parameters that the plugin does not” (or words to that effect) and that makes NO sense to me.

I wonder if that is correct.

And

Has TC electronic actually said how they will do copy protection? Not as far as I have seen.

I bet it is iLok. As TC would not make you take the controller if you were traveling, would they?

We will all find out in June.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

I am buying this that's for sure! Demos sounds great. On top of that i absolutely LIKE that hw controller.
Old 17th April 2018
FFS
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post
If it´s possible to buy it without the remote, i will buy it for i 349 USD!
well, you can buy it for $349 with the remote and send it to me!
haha
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Software

Well a great bit of TC greatness.

Manuals are up:TC2290-DT | Desktop Controllers | Computer Audio | TC Electronic | Categories | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic

Seems the controller is the dongle and is essential for operating the main parameters, perhaps without is maybe a restricted demo mode, perhaps things will change.

From TC (Quick Start Guide):

Quote:
The plug-in is free and can be installed on an unlimited number of computers, but does require the TC2290 hardware unit to operate the main parameters such as delay time.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Honestly, I'd love to see more of this... immediately had me searching Console 1 as a companion...
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Well a great bit of TC greatness.

Manuals are up:TC2290-DT | Desktop Controllers | Computer Audio | TC Electronic | Categories | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic

Seems the controller is the dongle and is essential for adjusting delay parameters, perhaps without is maybe a restricted demo mode, perhaps things will change.

From TC:
So the big question is - if you are traveling and open up a mix that uses the plugin - and you do not have the remote - will the plugins function properly - but you just can’t change any parameters - ?
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Love the controller idea. Wish they'd done the same thing with their reverb.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
So the big question is - if you are traveling and open up a mix that uses the plugin - and you do not have the remote - will the plugins function properly - but you just can’t change any parameters - ?
Good question....I'm assuming maybe there is a scenario where folks have recorded automation originally with controller, does the DAW still automate etc if you don't have the hardware connected later.I get if maybe parameters remain fixed and the song is saved is one thing, if this is the case it looks like you will have to have it plugged in for it to work properly unless of course because it requires it to be present in the first place then it will automate/do parameter changes etc okay since it could only have originally been done when the hardware was present.I would also think that without the hardware afterwards with already recorded info/automation you can't further change the parameters, basically overdub but who knows.Definitely need some clarification from TC on these issues.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFS View Post
well, you can buy it for $349 with the remote and send it to me!
haha

Well.. what are you gonna remote?
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have no use whatsoever for the remote but would pay that price for the plugin (assuming it sounds as good as I think it will). Does anyone know if the plug will be decoupled from the remote?

If it's primarily to serve as copy protection then TC has lost their minds -- there are better ways to handle that.
Old 17th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
If it's primarily to serve as copy protection then TC has lost their minds -- there are better ways to handle that.
I think it is to get hands-on and unclutter your monitor (screen) and maybe also to get your eyes off of it. Furthermore, I think there is a great deal of nostalgia involved. A very brave move by TC and I'm sure it is backed by great sound. The videos sure sound great.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

It's a brave move, no doubt, but is it wise move? Wise would be releasing the plugin with the remote as an "option."
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Yea it can’t be just that.

It should be - 349 for the plug and the remote. Remote use is optional. I will absolutely be using the remote, don’t get me wrong, but for traveling purposes the plugin needs to work on its own without limitation. The remote stays at home on the studio desk where it belongs.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Remote use is optional
nope, it won't work without remote. unless you don't want to change any settings you may have saved. for tweaks you'll need a remote.

it's now too late to talk about remote-less. they won't provide a remote-less option for a few reasons. as was already mentioned, it's somewhat a copy protection, also, remote-less standalone software version means they'd have to cut down the price, significantly, since no remote, and lower price means hardly anyone wants the remote, ppl buy a plugin for cheaper and control it via mouse/midi with their own controllers. no deal for TC. they will be left with lots of unsold remotes in their hands.

so since they originally designed this to work with their remote and invested a pretty penny in a production of these controllers, I don't see them providing a remote-less option. it makes the whole affair pointless for them.

which also makes it pointless to me and they won't be getting my money. I would pay them 149$ max for a plugin and never need no remote. 349$ no. overpriced. no delay plugin is 349$ good yet and I'm not paying extra for the remote I don't need and don't like in my workflow. if they'd make a TC2290 pedal, like Korg did to their SDD-3000, priced at 399$ - that's another story.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
A very brave move by TC
Well TC had stated that since Behringer bought them, they have more cash flow or something to put into R & D and experimenting and trying different things.

Maybe this is one of the crazier ideas they wouldn't have tried had they had a smaller budget in general?
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

According to the quick start guide it looks like there are parameters that you’ll only be able to control from the remote unit, and some that you’ll only be able to control from the plugin interface, like Input and Output, Mix and ‘some advanced parameters’. That’s a very odd choice IMO, if you’re going to have a dedicated hardware controller it should be able to control every function of the plugin.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
Love the controller idea. Wish they'd done the same thing with their reverb.
Hope they'll do something down the track since my Reverb 4000 is starting to show it's age.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

This is ridiculous.

Plugin? Great idea. But the box? Come on... can you imagine if this became a “thing” where you have a box for several plugins? Your desk would look like you’re assembling b0mbs for the terries

I have a tc 2290 and would happily trade it in for a tc plugin that sounded the same
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Agree on multiple boxes but thus just opens the market for a universal plug controller ?

Regardless I’m all over this and am calling my guy today.

Wiggy
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search