The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

True, it can't technically be a 1:1 code, but if they've been diligent they can get close enough to fool everyone.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
This isnt a 1:1. If you watch the actual 2290 DT promo video, they state (somewhere around the 1:50 min mark) that some of the magic of the modulation circuit happens in the microcontroller which they dont have the original code for anymore. So it isnt a 100% 1:1
WHAT THE ....?

That's a drag
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
True, it can't technically be a 1:1 code, but if they've been diligent they can get close enough to fool everyone.
Assuming they possessed all of the super secret formulas that were used to program the original unit I don't see why they couldn't technically get close enough to 1:1 to almost null... Particularly with this unit as it was almost as revered for how completely transparent it was even with all FX turned off... GTR players who own one will talk about that almost as much as they do about the stuff the unit was actually made to do... like, delays and whatnot.

It's usually the last line in the sand for the folks arguing that an emu (even one coded by the original hardware team and under the original company's banner who claims that the plugin is producing null-level output compared to the original) isn't quite like the actual unit... "Well, the plugin can't capture the fairy dust unicorn uniqueness of the original's converters..."

With the TC, this line in the sand will finally be removed from the discussion... Well, being that it's Gearslutz, it won't be of course... But it SHOULD be...

The original is a mono in stereo (or mono) out. I don't think my question about how the plugin will handle stereo information... Will the end result be similar to two hardware units (one processing left, the other right) or some other new way?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

1:1 not being achievable is rubbish.

After however that the DA ‘secret sauce’ I’d something that may not have been modelled and even at the lowest level of pro sumer DA that will be significantly different from those on the unit itself.

Wonder if TC have an aliasing filter code to mimic 80’s munchy and crunchy DA?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
1:1 not being achievable is rubbish.

After however that the DA ‘secret sauce’ I’d something that may not have been modelled and even at the lowest level of pro sumer DA that will be significantly different from those on the unit itself.

Wonder if TC have an aliasing filter code to mimic 80’s munchy and crunchy DA?
If they're modeling the hardware, which is what's being done here, then it's not technically 1:1. It might sound like a 2290, and in the end that's all that matters, but from a coding point of view it's still an emulation.

No doubt there will be A/B tests once this box is available and we can use our ears to decide how close they've gotten.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

I was referring to the algos as they surely can be 1:1, but yeah there is an element of modelling as mentioned due to DA dithering.
Old 2nd May 2018
Quote:
This isnt a 1:1. If you watch the actual 2290 DT promo video, they state (somewhere around the 1:50 min mark) that some of the magic of the modulation circuit happens in the microcontroller which they dont have the original code for anymore. So it isnt a 100% 1:1
ROFL... how can a company "loose" the original code of one of their own, most sold and sought after piece of gear?

Doesn't matter really to me, I won't buy it as it is anyway. Break the controller, loose the plugin. The only solution, buy another one for few hundred

Make it iLok, give us 2 licenses, and let the controller be a controller. And I'm in.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
ROFL... how can a company "loose" the original code of one of their own, most sold and sought after piece of gear?

Doesn't matter really to me, I won't buy it as it is anyway. Break the controller, loose the plugin. The only solution, buy another one for few hundred

Make it iLok, give us 2 licenses, and let the controller be a controller. And I'm in.

I’d be fine with 1 activation lol
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Who knows but I guess it can happen. They probably have the main code and figured the microcontroller wasn't all that important and over the years, they just probably never held onto the code and it got lost.

Technically, if they really wanted to get the code out of the microcontroller, they could 100% do it. They could have even used invasive methods to get the code out. They wouldn't be doing anything illegal even if it went to a lab, and they would extract the code as it belongs to them. Shure... this would be costly but if you really wanted to get a 1:1 port(and maybe also hang on to the original code incase you wanted to do a 2290 reissue), it could have been done. The protection on those old type chips is nothing a university student probably couldn't get around with access to a lab.

Anyways, I preordered one as my rig isn't mobile and I dont really have too many controllers on my desk so I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds! But I do agree with everyone that it would have been nice to have the GUI have all the necessary controls on it and I would be happy to have it authorized on my iLok. God forbid something happens to the controller, id hate to have to fork over another 200$ just to replace it. Just my 2 cents
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I'd hate to know I had a plugin in my projects that required me having to keep that contraption plugged into my workstation to use.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It happens. Just ask Lexicon.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

TC... hmmmmmmm after their failed audio interface I didn't trust them... personal opinion - left people hanging on the drivers
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you for your interest in our new baby. Let me try to answer some of the questions that have been posed here in this thread!

Does the plug-in work without the hardware?

Yes and no :-)

The hardware is a fundamental part of the 2290-concept, and it is very much by intention that you need the hardware to use the TC2290. Without the hardware, it wouldn't be a 2290.
For that reason all the main parameters are accessible solely on the desktop unit, and not in the plugin.

That said, we would still like the plug-in to work within your project, for instance if you go on a short trip on the road, not bringing the hardware.

So. You can detach the hardware for a full two weeks before it affects the functionality of the plugin.
After two weeks without seeing the hardware, the 2290 plugin will go into a “processing only” mode, disabling automation, preset changes and UI, until once again connected to the hardware.

Note that no matter what, the plug-in will always be processing, so your project will always run: you will always have delay on your track. But if you need to change the feedback level, you do need to attach the hardware.

How does it sound, does it sound like the original?
We've spent months and months making sure we got every detail right, and we are very proud of the result, which we feel live up to our own sound quality standards.

In fact, we just uploaded a bunch of sound files to SoundCloud.
It's a demonstration of the 20 factory presets included with the original device from 1985 (preset slot 80-99).
We have converted those presets to the TC2290-DT to make the wet files. More details on the recording on SoundCloud.

The DRY tracks are also provided, so if you do own an original 1985 TC2290 you could download the DRY tracks, add delay and compare the result to the WET tracks we made with the 2018 TC2290-DT :-)

TC2290-DT Factory Presets Guitar Wet & Dry by TC Electronic | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Have fun!
Turns the plugin into a trial version unless gigantic dongle is connected every second weeks. Im mean..thats just...

*SLO-CLAP*

Last edited by blackcom; 4th May 2018 at 04:45 AM..
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Turns the plugin into a trial version unless gigantic dongle is connected every second weeks. Im mean..thats just...

*SLO-CLAP*
It's not a "gigantic" dongle, but it *IS* without question a security dongle.
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s not a gigantic midi surface... but compared to ilok or even the old parallel printer dongles this thing is like King Kong in a petting zoo

I mean... dang... the one downside of this unit was learning all the super secret menu dives with a very limited control panel/display set. So, while I get CP I do not get emulating the one downside of a piece of outboard... being able to get dirty with the secret sauce through use of a thoughtful GUI would be a big check in the plus column

I suspect they’ve figured out how to sell something that looks like hardware to the hipster bedroom crowd as a feature... good for them I guess?
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its GINORMOUS!!

When some features are locked to this ginormous DONGLE and not directly available from the GUI it looks really bad.
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Yo guys you simply don't have to buy it if you think this (hw controller) is bad idea. Problem solved.

Me personally i can not wait release and gonna buy it ASAP.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Head
People are only pointing out that they would like to own the plugin but not with the unnecessary hardware and price.

No need to get your knickers in a twist.
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
Yo guys you simply don't have to buy it if you think this (hw controller) is bad idea. Problem solved.

That wouldn't solve *our* problem. TC, the company, is an active member of this thread and they've clearly stated that they value feedback, and the feedback from most is that it would be a more attractive product if it wasn't tethered to the remote. So not buying the current product doesn't solve any problem, and staying quiet is worse as it wouldn't serve potential customers nor TC's sales numbers.
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah... TC coulda just taken the switches off the hardware. Put them in the GUI as softswitches. Run a USB cable out to a box with no switches or knobs that you could store outta sight. Then named it "Powercore3". Even make a version that fits in a PCIe slot with no cable!

I guess it might not go over too well with previous Powercore customers that were told there was no way TC could offer upgrades to new hardware & plugins, and nothing new would be available. Except now it is.

C,mon... their "hardware" for this is a huge copy protection dongle disguised as a controller. A near useless controller at that. There's no other reason to not put all control in the GUI. IMO, lame. But then again, I'm biased due to losing many thousands of $$,$$$ on previous TC plugins. At least Pro Tools and UAD still offer upgrades.
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, in fact it would make more sense to include *all* functionality within the plugin since it's simple to create and modify the GUI. Offloading functionality to the remote and making that unique to the hardware is only to make us feel as though the hardware is necessary, or better for our workflow. If certain functions are easier/better on the remote, why not include them there *AND* within the plugin?
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Maniac
from a former Powercore user a big plus to javahuts post
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It happens. Just ask Lexicon.
im not aware of this what did they lost ? I would love a 480L
Old 22nd May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post

The controller itself is NOT a bad idea, quite the opposite. The idea of coupling the hardware to the software IS a bad idea. An iLok is much more mobile than this controller. Make the controller just be a controller, put two licenses to my iLok account (there you got your protection) and I'm freakin INSTA BUY IT
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Can't help but be reminded of a classic...

Old 5th June 2018
FFS
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post

Well.. what are you gonna remote?
the misses!
Old 18th June 2018
Gear Head

Anyone know if this is still on track to be released in June. There isnt much time left (12 days to be exact including weekends). I preordered and just want to know if we are looking at a later date because of some delays, or if it will be showing up in stores within the next 12 days. Cant wait to put my hands on mine though!
Old 18th June 2018
Lives for gear

Yes I’m very keen to get one also!

Controller doesn’t bother me as once I’m happy I’ll print it.
Old 18th June 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Anyone know if this is still on track to be released in June. There isnt much time left (12 days to be exact including weekends). I preordered and just want to know if we are looking at a later date because of some delays, or if it will be showing up in stores within the next 12 days. Cant wait to put my hands on mine though!
I preordered via Sweetwater and they are saying July now.
Old 3rd July 2018
Gear Nut

This nostalgic hardware would sell bucket loads if it was standalone hardware rather then a plug in. Guitarists alone would go mad for it (assuming it sounds like a TC2290)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search