The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TC Electronic introduces TC2290-DT Dynamic Delay Plug-In with Desktop Interface
Old 18th April 2018
Here for the gear

It sounds exactly NOT like the specifics of the original 2290 in this demo ! a.k.a. : The crystal clear repetitions, precisely. Maybe I'm a little pessimistic but I feel like it's going to be just another ****ty marketing stuff like Apple does. And I'm afraid it's gonna be like any other delays today : the repetitions are blurred and get darker and darker. What made the 2290 what it is, is the brilliance of the sound, the delay remains bright until the end with that kind of " metallic sound ". But I'll wait for more videos to hear...
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I have room for this in my heart, and on my desk. C'mere you cute lil bugger!
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Nut

I like this. Since I'm iLok-less (can't stand the way how they are deeply nested inside the computer with a constant fear that something terrible is going to happen) I've missed a lot of nice plugins over the years. But this kind of copy protection I can live with, you'll get a nice remote on top of that. For a home studio what's not to like?
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head
I'm not hearing a lot of what I recognize as 2290 delays.

You'd think they'd make that a big selling point?

If the controller has no dsp, I've no idea why I would want one.

Shame really, an accurate 2290 plugin would have been useful.
Old 18th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
Love the controller idea. Wish they'd done the same thing with their reverb.
they will once they sell a ton of these
Old 18th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

Thank you for your interest in our new baby. Let me try to answer some of the questions that have been posed here in this thread!

Does the plug-in work without the hardware?

Yes and no :-)

The hardware is a fundamental part of the 2290-concept, and it is very much by intention that you need the hardware to use the TC2290. Without the hardware, it wouldn't be a 2290.
For that reason all the main parameters are accessible solely on the desktop unit, and not in the plugin.

That said, we would still like the plug-in to work within your project, for instance if you go on a short trip on the road, not bringing the hardware.

So. You can detach the hardware for a full two weeks before it affects the functionality of the plugin.
After two weeks without seeing the hardware, the 2290 plugin will go into a “processing only” mode, disabling automation, preset changes and UI, until once again connected to the hardware.

Note that no matter what, the plug-in will always be processing, so your project will always run: you will always have delay on your track. But if you need to change the feedback level, you do need to attach the hardware.

How does it sound, does it sound like the original?
We've spent months and months making sure we got every detail right, and we are very proud of the result, which we feel live up to our own sound quality standards.

In fact, we just uploaded a bunch of sound files to SoundCloud.
It's a demonstration of the 20 factory presets included with the original device from 1985 (preset slot 80-99).
We have converted those presets to the TC2290-DT to make the wet files. More details on the recording on SoundCloud.

The DRY tracks are also provided, so if you do own an original 1985 TC2290 you could download the DRY tracks, add delay and compare the result to the WET tracks we made with the 2018 TC2290-DT :-)

TC2290-DT Factory Presets Guitar Wet & Dry by TC Electronic | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Have fun!
Old 18th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you for your interest in our new baby. Let me try to answer some of the questions that have been posed here in this thread!

The hardware is a fundamental part of the 2290-concept, and it is very much by intention that you need the hardware to use the TC2290. Without the hardware, it wouldn't be a 2290.
For that reason all the main parameters are accessible solely on the desktop unit, and not in the plugin.

That said, we would still like the plug-in to work within your project, for instance if you go on a short trip on the road, not bringing the hardware.

So. You can detach the hardware for a full two weeks before it affects the functionality of the plugin.
After two weeks without seeing the hardware, the 2290 plugin will go into a “processing only” mode, disabling automation, preset changes and UI, until once again connected to the hardware.

Note that no matter what, the plug-in will always be processing, so your project will always run: you will always have delay on your track. But if you need to change the feedback level, you do need to attach the hardware.

We've spent months and months making sure we got every detail right, and we are very proud of the result, which we feel live up to our own sound quality standards.

It's a demonstration of the 20 factory presets included with the original device from 1985 (preset slot 80-99).
We have converted those presets to the TC2290-DT to make the wet files. More details on the recording on SoundCloud.

The DRY tracks are also provided, so if you do own an original 1985 TC2290 you could download the DRY tracks, add delay and compare the result to the WET tracks we made with the 2018 TC2290-DT :-)

TC2290-DT Factory Presets Guitar Wet & Dry by TC Electronic | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Have fun!
I'm excited about the plugin, but the fact that it needs a controller to run properly it's a terrible idea.
Making it an option would have made it really cool, but compulsory... Well it's just stupid, for this reason I won't buy it.
Old 18th April 2018
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:

I can't wait for a plugin and a HW.

While other people opinion is also important and by now we already know there are people which don't like plugin tied to some HW controller mind you - this is thread about TC delay WITH hardware controller.

I like concept of two weeks without hardware plus it will still work even after that period you just won't be able to tweak it (that's how i understand it).

With that being said i have another purely hypothetical question for TC (i will use hardware controller anyway).

If you are able to tweak it in that two weeks period without TC hardware, and not tweak it after two weeks pass. Does that mean that within these two weeks you can actually tweak plugin and plugin indeed have all controls on the UI?

Love SC demos! Simply love trippy musicality and chorus spread.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys,

Have fun!
Thanks Thomas for the info.

What is the minimum (oldest) Mac OS that the plugin will install into? 10.9? Or older?

And I assume no AAX - DSP Plugin version for ProTools? So Native protools only. -?

Thanks
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

We appreciate the message, Thomas, and understand that you're passing along company policies. But...

I'd have spent $400 for a truly faithful emulation of the 2290, but this mandatory remote concept, limiting the functionality of the plugin (for obvious reasons) and especially the unnecessary 2-week no-remote period prior to detonating the plugin, simply wreak and I must pass on the product entirely. I've not known TC to participate in these kinds of tactics in the past -- if this is evidence of a new trend then I think my days with TC (and it's been over two decades and about $20k) have come to an end. If you're that nervous about theft, petition iLok or eLicenser to build a more secure architecture, though iLok seems to be have it adequately covered already.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

I agree with the many people here that think having the remote as an absolute must is going to hurt your sales. From a financial point you must be able to sell the plugin only tied to iLok for, say 250 usd and still make more money from that sale, since I guess the nice looking remote accounts for over 100 dollars of the final price. Sure, you would not get the same experience, but some (many it seems) prefer to go soft only. I think it is foolish not to cater to them. Myself, I want the sweeeeeet controller AAX dsp would be a dream, but I think it will never happen.
Old 18th April 2018
I like the idea of a controller and all, but no encoders? Not a knob at least?

No encoders, no fun. Big missed opportunity!
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

This might be indicative of the changing market.

Just like some people want DAW controllers because it provides the vibe of feeling and working with a console, some may also like the idea of having a separate controller for some/most of their plugins, simulating what would normally be in a rack, or on top of the console.

Not everyone is the same.... for every person that says "Nah... not for me!", there could be one or more people that say "I want it... take my money, please!".
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Not everyone is the same.... for every person that says "Nah... not for me!", there could be one or more people that say "I want it... take my money, please!".
True, people will have different opinions of this product, as is true for any product, but my guess is that the next sentence should be flipped: for each person that wants it there will be many, MANY others that think it's not for them, for one reason or another. Price, or balking at the mandatory remote, or its limited functionality at the GUI, or its sound, or having been burned by TC plugins/hardware in the past (there seems to be a lot of people in that boat), or some other reason. I'd venture to say that most people who see this thread will not be buying it and that that will be true by a wide margin.

If TC changes their mind and offers it as a plugin-only, with a lower price tag, things would change drastically.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
We need a standard. Like MIDI.

If I had a controller for every FX, EQ and compressor in my plugin collection I'd need a desktop the size of a tennis court!

Sure it would be cute to have a mini 244, 480L, AMS RX16 controller, but as the processing is all digital inside your PC
then a generic controller with plugins instantly mapping to an excepted standard surely must be the way forward.

Then manufactures could simply compete to make the best one in different price brackets etc etc.

Diverging propriety units is leading is back to the large inefficient workflows of the past.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
But it's not hardware, really, is it? You say it like it is, like it means something, but in the end it's just another mouse on the table, that also takes up additional USB slot, btw.

It's not like you released 2290 pedal or rack unit. That would be hardware. Lets not confuse things. This plastic mouse on the table is not hardware. It's a cheat of a kind. Interaction with that box cannot replace the interaction people had with 2290, if that's what you're implying.

People been asking you to bring back 2290 in its true form for years, and now you think a trick with a plugin and a mouse to control the parameters will cut it.

No, it will not be sufficient. People still ask for a real hardware now and they'll keep asking as long as TC Electronic is in the business.

Quote:
The idea with 2 weeks notice before plugin misses his remote buddy and goes cray-cray because of homesickness is laughable at best.

Not practical, nor it is professional.

It's a shame. I've been waiting for TC2290 emulation for some time. Now you bent over, went arse over tit, and you brought it in such convoluted form and put a heavy price tag on it, none of which is particularly appealing to me.

When Korg released SDD-3000 pedal and put 399$ tag on it, people said it was a bit pricey. And it was a real hardware.

If that was expensive, then what to say about this?

No, screw it, I'm not buying. I'd pay you your 149$ if you were selling and I'm sure it's more than enough for a bloody delay plugin.

I'll wait until someone is fed up with this scheme of yours and sells it on Ebay or elsewhere for 149$. Then I might get it, but you still won't be getting my money. The seller will.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Do you think this kind of tantrum is going to change anything? Don’t buy it then. Your post belongs in the Moan Zone.
Old 18th April 2018
Deleted bc6012f
People on this forum toyed with Roland boutiques and aira line. They also said Roland will die because of it.

Yet they are selling like cakes and Roland did not died.

I am finding it a bit weird how some individuals are teaching here world class company (decades old) on how to run business like this is TC first adventure.

Kinda not cool actually. Like gearslutz represent worldwide market perception with his 20 people active in thread.

Did i said i am buying this just because it have hw controller? I surely want it.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

If I had a controller for every FX, EQ and compressor in my plugin collection I'd need a desktop the size of a tennis court!
+1001 for this! (hard to beat quote of the year)

not gonna buy any of the new toys: my old 2290 keeps going' strong...
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
Do you think this kind of tantrum is going to change anything? Don’t buy it then. Your post belongs in the Moan Zone.
It's customer feedback, and that's how companies know what sells and what doesn't. They pay big $$ for focus groups. How is your feedback of another person's feedback any *less* of a moan, or any more useful to the topic? If you don't have use for these posts, ignore them.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Love the idea and will get one as soon as they are available.

It would be great to see more products like this. I don't need a million plug-ins and would prefer to have just a few ultra high quality ones with dedicated controllers - ideally one knob per function.

If you don't like what TC is doing fair enough as there are a gazillion delay plug ins WITHOUT a dedicated controller from which to choose from.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Well, the controller isn't that big. Looks a little larger than a magic trackpad. Not ideal for travel but do-able. It is bus powered so it should be plug and go.
It's more portable than the HW unit for sure and tons of session cats still tote those around.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

My Eventide H9 is a dedicated controller of sorts, isn't it? And you'd have to pry it from my calloused hands. I don't mind the controller aspect at all. Yes, it'll take up real estate, but please, don't we slutz love any reason to expand the gear set up? Another studio desk? Sigh, FINE. Yes it'll take up precious USB jacks. As will every other USB device you purchase in the future. Another USB hub? FINE...now I have more slots to fill. Not getting the level of emotions on display here against the TC2290, but hey it's your desktop and your USB plug. Will I buy it? Not sure. It's pricey, but the demos are all exquisite. I'm curious to play with it, can't really be mad at TC until I do, and even then I don't think this warrants actual anger. Until then, though, hello my sweet, sweet H9...
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

I’d pay 350 for it without the goofy box!

How does it handle stereo signal? Will it act like two OG chained 2290’s?
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

I've never used a 2290 and I'm interested. I'm intrigued by the hardware -- I value tactility and fun -- but I'm turned off by this concept of "it works for 2 weeks and then shuts down." That seems irritating and clunky to me.

- c
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
If it'g going to be controller locked, let that be it, the controller unlocks it.

Delay's typically don't get tweeked but a few times during a mix, but reverb can be quite a fight to get right sometimes. A reverb unit like this from TC would be more popular then a delay. Especially since Eventide is the king of delay for most mixers. In the reverb area, unless you have $4K+ for an M7, TC M5000/6000 reverb is the best most of us will ever afford. The problem is making code not heavy in CPU or making chips like UAD, I wonder how they go into that relm. Delay is an easy one vs. reverb.
Old 19th April 2018
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
If it'g going to be controller locked, let that be it, the controller unlocks it.

Delay's typically don't get tweeked but a few times during a mix, but reverb can be quite a fight to get right sometimes. A reverb unit like this from TC would be more popular then a delay. Especially since Eventide is the king of delay for most mixers. In the reverb area, unless you have $4K+ for an M7, TC M5000/6000 reverb is the best most of us will ever afford. The problem is making code not heavy in CPU or making chips like UAD, I wonder how they go into that relm. Delay is an easy one vs. reverb.
Now when you said it i can't stop thinking about their top of the line reverbs being available as VSTi but with HW controller serving as dongle and control. Drooling.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=thehightenor;13266447]We need a standard. Like MIDI.

Sure it would be cute to have a mini 244, 480L, AMS RX16 controller, but as the processing is all digital inside your PC
then a generic controller with plugins instantly mapping to an excepted standard surely must be the way forward.

Then manufactures could simply compete to make the best one in different price brackets etc etc.

Diverging propriety units is leading is back to the large inefficient workflows of the past.[/QUOTE

A LARC tabletop controller for Relab perhaps??
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
I like the idea of a controller and all, but no encoders? Not a knob at least?

No encoders, no fun. Big missed opportunity!
That’s the first thing I thought... This just seems like such a botched idea on so many levels. This whole two week thing sounds miserable as well. I also agree with most here... I would entertain buying a plug-in but would never buy a plug-in tied to a not particularly useful or inspiring usb hardware controller.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

Wouldn’t that be Native Instruments NKI? Lots of VSTi instruments and all Waves plugins now. They should make a little box with some nice graphics and some knobs just for plugins (without the keys or drum pads) and maybe more developers would jump on board.

It’s not perfect, but I think it might be the closest thing to your idea.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search