The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Klark Teknik KT-2A
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbendy View Post
Bumping the tube issue.

I understand that RCA 12AX7s were in the OG ones but would be reluctant to buy one on ebay. Does anyone have any positive experiences with new production tubes? JJ/Genalex/Mullards etc?
Ive not done it but plan to at some point, also interested in poss swapping out the cell

Looking on goggle though Revive have done a mod which states

We do a complete audio path upgrade using premium parts for lower noise and higher headroom as well as lower distortion.

All Audio caps are swapped out for better performance using Panasonic Parts and Orange Drop Capacitors and film capacitors in the audio path for more authenticity.

Bypassing is performed where necessary for lower noise in the power supply and certain values are adjusted to more closely reflect the original design.

Power supply modifications are also performed for the lowest possible noise figures in the overall design and better current delivery.

Tubes are then swapped for more complimentary versions in the design in terms of authenticity.

Finally we modify the existing T4B to remedy the release time.

Also found a post where someone advised they swapped out tubes to Tung Sols and said it sounded better.

i cant vouch for any of the above changes it's just what I've found.
Old 23rd August 2019
Someone asked awhile back how he could tell which 12ax7 tube is in the audio path. I'd like to know that, too if someone could answer please.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
Someone asked awhile back how he could tell which 12ax7 tube is in the audio path. I'd like to know that, too if someone could answer please.
Clairvoyant? Extrasensory activities? Get this: imagine if someone could tell you which sode of double triode is pulling stronger! Ha? ;-)

I would love to know too. ;-)

I still haven't met a person who can tell you which Tube 'plays' this very second. My money is on an educated guess.
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1984 View Post
OK! Thanks to jumbopolish (hope you don't mind I used one of your raw example files, if so please PM me and I'll take it down!).

Here's the unprocessed vocal ran through the AudioScape with the same GR as mentioned in the OP's post (about 10-13-dB GR).

I can get all kinds of different tonalities based on where the HF knob is set on the AudioScape but I settled on high-noon for this example.

Please reference the original files for comparison. First think I noticed was the KT sounded noisier (?) than my AudioScape, even when I ran the gain and GR to the extremes (this thing is EXTREMELY quiet... extraordinary quiet, actually..)

I'll post a drum clip up in a bit, hope some KT users can post the same file ran through their units!
going through this thread right now becase my wa2a got faulty somehow after 18months of use and warranty only covers a yaer. i know this is posts from a year back , but the kt2a does sound faster than the audioscape, if you hear from the start of the vocal lines the kt2a is actually sounds smoother likely due to the faster response compared to the audioscape
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

It's the 12ax7 on the left, closest to the edge of the circuit board. There are only two, and they're labelled. You know you've pulled out the right one when music stops playing!

I've just installed some NOS valves bought from GS member BOWIE. It's early days, but the unit already sounds a lot more refined. Will upload some audio examples soon.

Edit: just to clarify, I am not advocating that you mess with tubes with the compressor switched on. Rather, turn it off, pull, switch on, test etc

Quote:

Last edited by djbendy; 12th September 2019 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Safety first
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:

I've just installed some NOS valves bought from GS member BOWIE. It's early days, but the unit already sounds a lot more refined. Will upload some audio examples soon.
Before and after tube swap examples I hope!

Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

Klark Teknik KT-2A problem.

So I bought a used, 6 months old KT-2A. It's Murphy that hunts me these days, I guess...
It worked fine at his place, but when I got it into my studio, the compression did not work for most of the time... occasionaly it did. So I went back to him, where he plugged it in, and it worked normally. 30 minutes later in my studio, same issue. I am really bummed out because I love this unit so much :/

Here's a video of my issue with KT-2A: https://youtu.be/EUGx76jkpwc
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sompn Brurl View Post
Klark Teknik KT-2A problem.

So I bought a used, 6 months old KT-2A. It's Murphy that hunts me these days, I guess...
It worked fine at his place, but when I got it into my studio, the compression did not work for most of the time... occasionaly it did. So I went back to him, where he plugged it in, and it worked normally. 30 minutes later in my studio, same issue. I am really bummed out because I love this unit so much :/

Here's a video of my issue with KT-2A: https://youtu.be/EUGx76jkpwc
The first one I bought had this problem. Returned it and got a new sent out and it works perfectly ever since. No, idea what causes this though
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
It's the 12ax7 on the left, closest to the edge of the circuit board. There are only two, and they're labelled. You know you've pulled out the right one when music stops playing!
Thanks! I ended up replacing both 12AX7s just to be safe (along with the 12BH7.) Didn't touch the EL84, though. Figured swapping that out wouldn't make a difference... Right?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but it's okay to run the compressor while swapping tubes? I figured it would have to be off to avoid any kind of electrical hazard. Does this also apply to guitar amps?
Old 10th September 2019
Err geez I might be way, way off but...I'd turn it off and unplug it. Then tinker with the tubes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Update on the NOS tubes upgrade...

So after going over a few of the options, I went for a GE on the 12BH7 slot and a British Mullard 12AT7 for the output (12AT7 being a good substitute for a 12AX7 because of it's lower gain and higher headroom, for more of an open and dynamic feel).

Track 1 is just a quick and dirty house loop made on my DAW.
Track 2 is the loop going through the KT-2A stock tubes with no compression.
Track 3 is the loop going through the KT-2A with the NOS tubes installed with no compression.
Track 4 is the stock tubes, medium amount of gain and a medium amount of compression.
Track 5 is the NOS tubes, medium gain, medium compression.
Track 6 is the NOS tubes pushed with a little more gain.

The purpose of this was to just demonstrate the tone of the tubes more than anything. The DAW loop already has compression going on, and the subsequent compressed WAVs were more just to see what I could get out of the unit. A scientific test this ain't, but I hope it proves useful for some. IMO the tubes add weight to the low end, tame the top and give me more dynamic range to work with. It's subtle, but it's definitely there.

I'll post something a bit more nuanced once I've got time. I've worked on some stuff since and between this and the 76-KT, it's really helping me fill out my mixes.
Attached Files

house loop DAW.wav (2.61 MB, 934 views)

house loop LA2A STOCK.wav (3.30 MB, 999 views)

house loop LA2A NOS.wav (3.30 MB, 1001 views)

house loop LA2A STOCK comp.wav (3.05 MB, 1020 views)

house loop LA2A NOS comp.wav (3.05 MB, 998 views)

house loop LA2A NOS comp 2.wav (3.05 MB, 952 views)

Last edited by djbendy; 4 weeks ago at 11:00 PM.. Reason: WAVs added
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

So after going over a few of the options, I went for a GE on the 12BH7 slot and a British Mullard 12AT7 for the output (12AT7 being a good substitute for a 12AX7 because of it's lower gain and higher headroom, for more of an open and dynamic feel).

Track 3 is the loop going through the KT-2A with the NOS tubes installed with no compression.
Track 4 is the stock tubes, medium amount of gain and a medium amount of compression.

The purpose of this was to just demonstrate the tone of the tubes more than anything. The DAW loop already has compression going on, and the subsequent compressed WAVs were more just to see what I could get out of the unit. A scientific test this ain't, but I hope it proves useful for some. IMO the tubes add weight to the low end, tame the top and give me more dynamic range to work with. It's subtle, but it's definitely there.

I'll post something a bit more nuanced once I've got time. I've worked on some stuff since and between this and the 76-KT, it's really helping me fill out my mixes.
Thanks for your time and effort on sharing this. Even on my ipad I can feel the small difference. Nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Just had a 20 year old vocal that was recorded on a dodgy old asio soundcard resurrected from the dead by ramming it into the KT1176 with 6db compression and then again into the KTLA2A with 4db compression.

Tried it with a load of emulation plugins and just did not have the silk and presence of the analog.

Love the KT1176 and LA2A combination
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

I honestly couldn't hear any difference between the nos and stock tubes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
I honestly couldn't hear any difference between the nos and stock tubes.
I was listening with good headphones and I thought I heard a surprisingly ”big” difference between the two. I was actually surprised a little, I went in thinking there would not really be a difference.

To my ears the low end had a totally different character. Stock was a lot flatter sounding, the NOS tubes seemed to have more character. Which might not be a good thing, depending on what you want.

Of course it could just be my mind playing tricks, making me think there was a difference, who knows.. But I feel like it might be a good idea to try it out myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poika View Post
I was listening with good headphones and I thought I heard a surprisingly ”big” difference between the two. I was actually surprised a little, I went in thinking there would not really be a difference.

To my ears the low end had a totally different character. Stock was a lot flatter sounding, the NOS tubes seemed to have more character. Which might not be a good thing, depending on what you want.

Of course it could just be my mind playing tricks, making me think there was a difference, who knows.. But I feel like it might be a good idea to try it out myself.
Yeh i can hear the difference in the low end as well. More so in the NO compression files than when compression used. Def going to change my tubes now.

Thanks for files Djbendy
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I've bought one for vocals (after using a real LA2A in a studio on vocals - which I loved). I switched back to plugin versions quite fast after actually preferring vocals I did without going through the KT2A vs KT2A, in some situations it worked but in other situations it made vocals sound thinner. Anyone else also experienced this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightysix View Post
I've bought one for vocals (after using a real LA2A in a studio on vocals - which I loved). I switched back to plugin versions quite fast after actually preferring vocals I did without going through the KT2A vs KT2A, in some situations it worked but in other situations it made vocals sound thinner. Anyone else also experienced this?
I think it is a very decent compressor.

I have two- Purple MC-77 and Klark.

I record everything my self and cannot be bothered to re-patch cables from one channel to next. So I now have Purple on guitars, KT-2A on bass.

As long as the playing is very good I have no complaints about the sound coming out of KT-2A and it complements Purple very well...
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Changed tubes too. Replaced the 12ax7 with a new production mullard and the 12bh7 for a TAD premium selected. The sound really changed a lot but while becoming wider and more 3-d it was loosing focus in the Stereo-mid. Changed tubes forth and back. Ended up with only replacing the 12bh7. This really cleared the compressor up but its wasn't loosing focus. I just track vocals with it and I want it to be focused and add all the other stuff in the box.
Changing the 12ax7 didn't do the trick for me but I think on bass and whole mixes this stereo widening ability can be great. For recording vocals not so much. Maybe I try another 12ax7 sometimes. Any recommendations?
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
Changed tubes...The sound really changed a lot...Any recommendations?
Yeah, let's hear the changes in sound...can you post some clips?
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Thanks! I ended up replacing both 12AX7s just to be safe (along with the 12BH7.) Didn't touch the EL84, though. Figured swapping that out wouldn't make a difference... Right?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but it's okay to run the compressor while swapping tubes? I figured it would have to be off to avoid any kind of electrical hazard. Does this also apply to guitar amps?
Applies to everything with electricity - unless you're skilled in working with live electricity - even then it's a risk to yourself and the equipment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search