The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Klark Teknik KT-2A
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
Have a pair of these, hard to compare because I haven't tried other la2a clones but the only thing I really like their color on is the drums and bass, really adds heft but I don't like the top end they don't do much for me on vocals. There seems to be quite a bit of roll off and it isn't silky, it sounds a little cheap. Again that's just my impression. How do others find them compared to others like wa2a, gap 2a, stam 2a?
How many time have you been using it? new tubes need at least two - three weeks of daily use to burn in and then the sound becomes better; maybe swapping the two tubes in the audio path (12AX7 and 12BH7) for high quality ones might make a difference, again, after two-three weeks of daily use to burn them in.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Mine was preorder. It will probably be a year in a few days. No tubes can make this compressor a close clone to a 2A.
Old 4th May 2019
I thought some people may be interested in my stereo KT-2A test. This is just a really quick test on one of my old mixes. The mix is no doubt not a stellar mix in the first place...but its just an exercise in using 2 of these units stereo linked on a mix to see what happens.

The first mp3 is the original in the box mixed one and the second mp3 is the one run through stereo KT2As. I aimed for up to and around 3db gain reduction and tried to increase the volume of the original a bit.

There's a 'stereo link trimmer' on the back of the KT2As that lets you set the same GR between both units. I left that at the default position on both units and just tried to match by eye...that's why the Peak Reduction knobs are not at the same position in the photo...but I still found the left unit kept compressing a bit more on the whole than the right one. Maybe that's something to do with the audio content of the L & R channels being different and causing different compression.

The compressors seemed to cause the kick drum in particular to trigger but I think if it sounds a bit heavy on the KT2A version that's a mixing issue/ error.

Frankly, I'm not sure if one version is just louder than the other or the KT version thickens somewhat. I didn't level match so...I dunno. I guess with a very nice mix...if you wanted to use these on a 2 bus you could get better results.

But I'm not planning to use these units in stereo like this. I want to use them for tracking and on mixing mono sources.

Anyway...there you go...

EDIT: I've gone back into the original mix and changed a few things. Then I did the test again with 2 KT-2As. This time I calibrated the units with a test signal to get them compressing identically. Also, I only set 2db GR this time. The idea was to avoid the huge bass response that I was getting...the distorted stuff that is clear in the middle mp3 attached here. The 3rd mp3 should be a lot cleaner. It's still not top notch, by all means, but I think running the song through the KT2As has improved the mix this time without distorting the bass response as much.

Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik KT-2A-20190504_124230.jpg  
Attached Files

Open the Door.mp3 (5.26 MB, 3451 views)

Open the Door.mp3 (5.26 MB, 3345 views)

Open the Door May 5 2019.mp3 (7.01 MB, 3013 views)

Last edited by hello people; 5th May 2019 at 02:34 AM..
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I thought some people may be interested in my stereo KT-2A test. This is just a really quick test on one of my old mixes. The mix is no doubt not a stellar mix in the first place...but its just an exercise in using 2 of these units stereo linked on a mix to see what happens.

The first mp3 is the original in the box mixed one and the second mp3 is the one run through stereo KT2As. I aimed for up to and around 3db gain reduction and tried to increase the volume of the original a bit.

There's a 'stereo link trimmer' on the back of the KT2As that lets you set the same GR between both units. I left that at the default position on both units and just tried to match by eye...that's why the Peak Reduction knobs are not at the same position in the photo...but I still found the left unit kept compressing a bit more on the whole than the right one. Maybe that's something to do with the audio content of the L & R channels being different and causing different compression.

The compressors seemed to cause the kick drum in particular to trigger but I think if it sounds a bit heavy on the KT2A version that's a mixing issue/ error.

Frankly, I'm not sure if one version is just louder than the other or the KT version thickens somewhat. I didn't level match so...I dunno. I guess with a very nice mix...if you wanted to use these on a 2 bus you could get better results.

But I'm not planning to use these units in stereo like this. I want to use them for tracking and on mixing mono sources.

Anyway...there you go...

I liked mix 2 the most, its late here though
so i will take another listen tomorrow with fresh ears

I probably wouldn't use kt-2a like this either if i got two
but thanks for doing this test
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
I liked mix 2 the most, its late here though
so i will take another listen tomorrow with fresh ears

I probably wouldn't use kt-2a like this either if i got two
but thanks for doing this test
No problem. Just for fun and curiosity...and my first go with them really. They are the exact same mix...just one has been passed through stereo KT2As.

I just dunno if they are $400 volume knobs or if they add thickness and character etc

Certainly it depends on the quality of the source you throw at them I suppose.....

Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem. Just for fun and curiosity...and my first go with them really. They are the exact same mix...just one has been passed through stereo KT2As.

I just dunno if they are $400 volume knobs or if they add thickness and character etc

Certainly it depends on the quality of the source you throw at them I suppose.....

the second sound file then, sounded the best to me
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Anyway...there you go...

mix 2 seems sounding a bit distorted, specially on bass frequencies.
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
Mine was preorder. It will probably be a year in a few days. No tubes can make this compressor a close clone to a 2A.
yes sure.

did you try different settings with the pre-emphasis?
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubezahn View Post
mix 2 seems sounding a bit distorted, specially on bass frequencies.
Yeah I agree.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Guru

the KT2A mix doesn't work for me it's too pumpy/pushed/weird sounding.

I like that sound in smaller doses on individual instruments, but not on an entire mix
Old 4th May 2019
Yeah I agree with that too
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yes sure.

did you try different settings with the pre-emphasis?
One year with the gear. There is not much to manipulate there. If I had not explored the emphasis, there would be something wrong with me. It is a cheap piece of gear, but likely worth the money. A 2a is maybe less value for the money, but a immensely better piece of gear.
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
One year with the gear. There is not much to manipulate there. If I had not explored the emphasis, there would be something wrong with me. It is a cheap piece of gear, but likely worth the money. A 2a is maybe less value for the money, but a immensely better piece of gear.
thank you. I have been considering buying one for tracking but after your comments I am looking for (unfortunately more expensive) alternatives. Maybe the IGS 500 series?. I really don't know.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thank you. I have been considering buying one for tracking but after your comments I am looking for (unfortunately more expensive) alternatives. Maybe the IGS 500 series?. I really don't know.
Although not often, for stereo "levelling" I use two LA-4 or two TX5C on feedback mode. These are great gear in my opinion. For mono "leveling" I use JLM 500, XQP541 (faster unmanipulavable release of them all) and the KT2A, as well as obviously the LA-4 and the TX5C. If I need lowpass and little distortion, I'll patch the KT. If that's not the case, I don't even try it. That's why I only patch it mostly for bass.
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Although not often, for stereo "levelling" I use two LA-4 or two TX5C on feedback mode. These are great gear in my opinion. For mono "leveling" I use JLM 500, XQP541 (faster unmanipulavable release of them all) and the KT2A, as well as obviously the LA-4 and the TX5C. If I need lowpass and little distortion, I'll patch the KT. If that's not the case, I don't even try it. That's why I only patch it mostly for bass.
thank you !!!. Much appreciated. the TX5C looks great, I will check some demos. I know its cheaper than those, and different gear, but what about the FMR RNLA for stereo levelling?.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thank you !!!. Much appreciated. the TX5C looks great, I will check some demos. I know its cheaper than those, and different gear, but what about the FMR RNLA for stereo leveling?.
I have never used their leveler. I had a Really Nice Compressor and Preamp back in 2003 I think, but even those one I can't speak for it because it's been way too long.

If I had to keep only two from the ones I have for leveling, Id keep the LA-4 and the JLM LA500A. The TX5C is great, but for leveling mimicking it depends on the feedback mode so it doesn't move like the the JLM or even the LA-4. The feedback/feedforward is variable tough, so that is a plus for master.

There are other affordable options on the market that are probably great, but I have no experience with them.

Best
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have never used their leveler. I had a Really Nice Compressor and Preamp back in 2003 I think, but even those one I can't speak for it because it's been way too long.

If I had to keep only two from the ones I have for leveling, Id keep the LA-4 and the JLM LA500A. The TX5C is great, but for leveling mimicking it depends on the feedback mode so it doesn't move like the the JLM or even the LA-4. The feedback/feedforward is variable tough, so that is a plus for master.

There are other affordable options on the market that are probably great, but I have no experience with them.

Best
thank you again; I will keep an eye on the JLM LA500A; I see there is a DIY kit version as well which is great for saving some bucks.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
Have a pair of these, hard to compare because I haven't tried other la2a clones but the only thing I really like their color on is the drums and bass, really adds heft but I don't like the top end they don't do much for me on vocals. There seems to be quite a bit of roll off and it isn't silky, it sounds a little cheap. Again that's just my impression. How do others find them compared to others like wa2a, gap 2a, stam 2a?
I find some the opposite. They conserve high in the sample. Look at the pics. This is the output of a 808 Rcomposer.
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik KT-2A-compressed0001.jpg   Klark Teknik KT-2A-orginal0001.jpg  
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post
I find some the opposite. They conserve high in the sample. Look at the pics. This is the output of a 808 Rcomposer.
I didn't even check your pictures because the only thing they can tell me is that the product delivery consistency of theirs is way off. It is irrelevant to me because the only remedy would be to sell mine and buy another one to see if I get lucky, and I will not do that in a million years.
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Anyway...there you go...

EDIT: I've gone back into the original mix and changed a few things. Then I did the test again with 2 KT-2As. This time I calibrated the units with a test signal to get them compressing identically. Also, I only set 2db GR this time. The idea was to avoid the huge bass response that I was getting...the distorted stuff that is clear in the middle mp3 attached here. The 3rd mp3 should be a lot cleaner. It's still not top notch, by all means, but I think running the song through the KT2As has improved the mix this time without distorting the bass response as much.

listening today with proper monitors and in good cans and file 2 distort a lot in especially the low end indeed haha
this wasn't noticeable on my tv speakers which i listened to before i went to sleep last night

The distortion make my ears like the song more
So i would add in some distortion/dirt in parallel if it was my song
it definitively gives the song a better vibe IMO but the KT-2a was too much on the low end in file 2

Just took a listen to your 3rd file(not the tv speakers this time LOL )
Did you adjust the mix it selves with file 3 ? or did you just took out some low end with an eq on master ?
The low end of the kick isn't nearly as pronounced as in the 2 first clips

Now in file 3 i miss more low lows as everything else is coming more forward but now also i wish the snare was a bit fatter mixed and a bit louder hehe

Out of the 3 files (listening on my studio cans as i write) i still prefer file 2
i would take out the low lows to the point where the KT stopped crushing the low end into distortion
and add that low end back in after the compression+ perhaps some dirt/distortion added in parallel with decapitator or something similar

i know you didn't post for others opinions on the mix it self but i couldn't help my self because i like this tune a lot

Thanks again for the test
Old 5th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
listening today with proper monitors and in good cans and file 2 distort a lot in especially the low end indeed haha
this wasn't noticeable on my tv speakers which i listened to before i went to sleep last night

The distortion make my ears like the song more
So i would add in some distortion/dirt in parallel if it was my song
it definitively gives the song a better vibe IMO but the KT-2a was too much on the low end in file 2

Just took a listen to your 3rd file(not the tv speakers this time LOL )
Did you adjust the mix it selves with file 3 ? or did you just took out some low end with an eq on master ?
The low end of the kick isn't nearly as pronounced as in the 2 first clips

Now in file 3 i miss more low lows as everything else is coming more forward but now also i wish the snare was a bit fatter mixed and a bit louder hehe

Out of the 3 files (listening on my studio cans as i write) i still prefer file 2
i would take out the low lows to the point where the KT stopped crushing the low end into distortion
and add that low end back in after the compression+ perhaps some dirt/distortion added in parallel with decapitator or something similar

i know you didn't post for others opinions on the mix it self but i couldn't help my self because i like this tune a lot

Thanks again for the test
Yeah you're right...I went back into the original mix and lowered the 2bus shelf I had on the bass frequencies. So for the the 3rd mp3 attached the KT2As haven't reacted to the kick drum and bass etc so hard as they did in mp3 #2 . I guess in the end the mix is just not great or so accurate.

I'm not at my home studio and wont get it set up for another year. So, I'm just tinkering around on headphones for the time being. I could go back into the mix again and lift the bass shelf a tad more and not go for so much volume increase running it through the KT2As. I could even strap my KTEQPs before the 2As and shape the low end in real time. It might get a better sound. But anyway, I'll just leave it at that I suppose, since I'm just experimenting.

Don't worry, I appreciate opinions on my mixes because its all a learning experience. I just can't wait to set up my home studio properly once and for all.

Thanks for your feedback. Hope KT2A owners get something out of it

Old 5th May 2019
Gear Maniac

What the audio from Hello People shows me is the better the music, the less relevant gear choice becomes, and that's something Ive always kept in mind during the years I have been doing this.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Guru

Yeah that new mix3 is pretty cool. I would never have thought to use an LA2A style comp on mix bus, but since these are a little cleaner, I guess it works!

Cool songwriting as well, it's kind of Beatles-esque in some ways and that's always a good thing.
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Duplicate
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Good music makes distortion become character. Makes weird mixes become unique, etc
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
So you are the second person having this problem with a freshly received KT-2A (I guess from the latest batch then)? Compression is working but not the meter.
Maybe it's missing something. A tube, one of the opto cells, a connection . . or the person doing the final inspection of the device in the factory

For safety and warranty reasons I'm not suggesting it but for any stubborn who wants to open the lid for having a look inside (when the power plug is definitely not connected to the mains), one of the lid screws has a torx-head and will not accept a common phillips head screwdriver like the other screws

I'm looking forward to receiving my second one from musicstore haha
Big problem here, my KT-2A don't compress more than 3 even with peak reduction to is maximum.....im going to send the unit back, it's broken...or im i doing something wrong???the meter is well calibrated
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
the better the music, the less relevant gear choice becomes, and that's something Ive always kept in mind during the years I have been doing this.
this. wise words.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel View Post
Big problem here, my KT-2A don't compress more than 3 even with peak reduction to is maximum.....im going to send the unit back, it's broken...or im i doing something wrong???the meter is well calibrated
Make sure you have a hot enough input signal.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Has anybody else tried swapping tubes in this unit?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Bumping the tube issue.

I understand that RCA 12AX7s were in the OG ones but would be reluctant to buy one on ebay. Does anyone have any positive experiences with new production tubes? JJ/Genalex/Mullards etc?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search