The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klark Teknik KT-2A Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th March 2019
  #301
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
I did that too in fact here is a blind test

1 is a plugin la2a the other is the klark. They are only quick draft vox snippets for a track we were working on so ignore vox quality but gives you a decent test. I've tried to level match as close as possible but didn't do it scientifically. Feel free to level em 100% if out.

Was in limit mode 3-5 DB GR.
Yea A sounded more open to me, with a better compression timing on it...
Old 19th March 2019
  #302
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
Will give it a day or so

I think the compression is really close but the hardware does something for me that i wont say what it is yet (which maybe personal taste, but i like, and seems to do it to everything)

Feel free to PM if anyone wants to know in advance.
Old 19th March 2019
  #303
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I wasn't listening closely, but from a casual "feel" listen, I thought B was the better sound.
Old 20th March 2019
  #304
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
So

A was the native instruments la2a plugin
B was the Klark 2a

So my thoughts are that up to 5db compression they are pretty equal but onwards the hardware starts to shine.

The biggest thing for me though, and is totally personal, is that the hardware smooths out the essy, mid high slightly if you listen to the vox. The plugin has that slight digital high end and the hardware doesn’t. In fact everything I’ve run through it even minus compression just sounds very slightly softer but in a good way. I’m putting it down to transformers and tubes. It’s not a huge difference but I like how it accumulates as you run a a few things through it. In fact for £200 it’s quite nice just used even without compression to take the edge of a sound very very slightly without reaching for an eq.

Some people may well prefer the plugin and I get that, it’s def a taste vs best or worse thing.

Both great tools but I personally lean towards the hardware. Plus I like watching a physical needle bounce just because
Old 20th March 2019
  #305
Well thanks digital 1010...the egg is on my face as I predicted. But I have to say...in your example, at least to my ears, to say the differences are 'subtle' would be a massive understatement!

I guess you did say that only 3-5db of GR are occurring.
Old 21st March 2019
  #306
Gear Maniac
 

Any chance you can post the original take with no compression?
Old 21st March 2019
  #307
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
Heres the dry. Hard to exactly level match as its spiking all over the place.

For me the hardware reduces the sharp ssss's a bit and makes them less harsh when you hear the dry or plugin. It's why i prefer the klark over the plugin. Both plug and hardware smooth out the vocal nicely though.
Attached Files

Vox Dry.wav (2.54 MB, 2249 views)

Old 21st March 2019
  #308
Gear Addict
 

The fun with this unit also comes with having something that can take the output level...for example, running into the line input of my X73 at +10, I can drive the output of the KT-2A as loud as I want without clipping my convertors. As with any of these things a little can go a long way but it's also a great saturation box this way (of course any line level pad should work...)
Old 21st March 2019
  #309
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
So

A was the native instruments la2a plugin
B was the Klark 2a

So my thoughts are that up to 5db compression they are pretty equal but onwards the hardware starts to shine.

The biggest thing for me though, and is totally personal, is that the hardware smooths out the essy, mid high slightly if you listen to the vox. The plugin has that slight digital high end and the hardware doesn’t. In fact everything I’ve run through it even minus compression just sounds very slightly softer but in a good way. I’m putting it down to transformers and tubes. It’s not a huge difference but I like how it accumulates as you run a a few things through it. In fact for £200 it’s quite nice just used even without compression to take the edge of a sound very very slightly without reaching for an eq.

Some people may well prefer the plugin and I get that, it’s def a taste vs best or worse thing.

Both great tools but I personally lean towards the hardware. Plus I like watching a physical needle bounce just because
you said that the most significant thing would be like the hardware softens the mid-high range.
Would there be any chance that you would do the test with respect to the clada of waves?
Precisely what I have always perceived when passing the audio through this plugin (waves ca2a) is that loss of digital edge, and soften that range in a pleasant way.
I am not a representative and I do not favor companies: waves or Native instruments.
Thanks again!
Old 21st March 2019
  #310
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanicos View Post
you said that the most significant thing would be like the hardware softens the mid-high range.
Would there be any chance that you would do the test with respect to the clada of waves?
Precisely what I have always perceived when passing the audio through this plugin (waves ca2a) is that loss of digital edge, and soften that range in a pleasant way.
I am not a representative and I do not favor companies: waves or Native instruments.
Thanks again!
I haven't got the waves plugins but you can dload my file and test for yourself
Old 22nd March 2019
  #311
Gear Maniac
 

Your file seems to shows that this unit does not have the nice shin that the 2a has. It is a dark unit as I mentioned here before. Nothing wrong with this tough. In fact I do have a kt2a and I am keeping it, but from the 4 levellers I have, no doubt it is the darkest, and by far.
Old 22nd March 2019
  #312
Where would stereo linked 2A's be useful? Drum bus? Stereo bus? Guitars bus? Is there a traditional usage in stereo?
Old 22nd March 2019
  #313
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
Your file seems to shows that this unit does not have the nice shin that the 2a has. It is a dark unit as I mentioned here before. Nothing wrong with this tough. In fact I do have a kt2a and I am keeping it, but from the 4 levellers I have, no doubt it is the darkest, and by far.
I reckon ill try a tube swap at some point with a decent one and poss the opto cell too.

Although as you say its quite nice being a bit dark to shade the digital stuff.
Old 22nd March 2019
  #314
Mine adds a sparkle so it could be down to the tubes.
Old 22nd March 2019
  #315
Gear Maniac
 

What's digital about your untouched vocal take? It's just a dark dark unit, that's all. Changing tube may help, but it is not going to turn it into a 2A. That's something we all probably have to accept.
Old 22nd March 2019
  #316
Gear Maniac
 

Interesting. Have you changed tube? Any chance you could run the original take through yours and post it here (if it's not asking too much)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Mine adds a sparkle so it could be down to the tubes.
Old 22nd March 2019
  #317
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
What's digital about your untouched vocal take? It's just a dark dark unit, that's all. Changing tube may help, but it is not going to turn it into a 2A. That's something we all probably have to accept.
Maybe digital was the wrong word - Clinical and characterless and quite bright.

I like how the the tubes/transformers just give it a touch of character and mellow it then add the compression and its just smoother and sounds more pleasing (to me).

I've run loads of stuff through it, even stuff you wouldn't use an LA2A on and it does the same to all of it.

It is definitely doing something i like that the plugin doesn't. Like to hear it run through a proper LA2A. As you say though, I'm not thinking of it as a proper la2a. I just like what it it does as its own thing and if a tube change made it even better then cool beans.

Also a thought, i don't remember where the pre emphasis knob was set so that would make a difference.

On a side note I got a vermona filter lancet yesterday, everything sounds better through that .
Old 22nd March 2019
  #318
Gear Maniac
 

I also definitely find value on the KT2a and I'll continue to make use of it. I never heard of the vermona filter lancet but it seems very interesting. Thanks for the tip
Old 25th March 2019
  #319
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onderskoumal View Post
Sorry guys if this question has already been answered but...

If I want to change the tubes, how do I know which one of the two 12ax7's is the one in the signal path? Thanks for any help!
Bumping this. Anyone can help, please?
Old 28th March 2019
  #320
Gear Maniac
 
rectape's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Just got my KT-2A few days ago. I still need some time to test it properly. But I can tell you this:

I got it running after the KT 1176. For the note: i like the 76 but wasn't crazy about it after testing it against existing plugins). It has more 'weight' than the plugins but also more noise. I used it mostly for bass.

First thing I've done with the KT-2A as it arrived: i lined it after the KT-76. Here's the full vocal chain:
U87ai to SPL Frontliner using the tube preamp, deesser and EQ to the 76 to the 2A to an attenuator then to the converter.
It's the best vocal chain I've ever had for tracking. I tracked 5 songs in a row with my own voice and had the my best performance ever. It's amazing what it does with your pitch to have spot on compression. I have a very dynamic voice and often have problem with pitch while tracking (which i don't have when singing live).
The KT-2A stays for sure. I have 2 EQP-KTs coming the next 2 weeks. Will be interesting to use them for bus job together with the Tegeler Creme but also together with the other KTs as a holy trinity chain.

God bless Behringer for these crazy low prizes. :D Holy smokes.
Hi,
What is the attenuator that you’re using?
A lot of time I like to drive the output a bit more on some gears but can’t overload the converters too much.
Old 12th April 2019
  #321
Gear Addict
 

I was listening to the clipalator Kt-2A vs LA-2A and I found it very good to make you an idea of the differences between them, original is fatter, wider has that vintage mojo, behringer is much cleaner but still sounding nice, It was a surprised for the price¡¡
I am sure changing tubes and some transformer goodness could get close to original, look like a top choice for the money, if you want that 5% better, explosive, round like butter you need to pay x10 so I am wonder what behringer could make making them using more expensive components that everybody know that if done right could improve the sound and I am sure there are people want it in that price range like 600-900?
so better film caps, tubes there are always field to improve so I hope they think about it as a start point where they can make it better for people that want a premium unit with better quality components, anyway today more than ever you have the tools to make it done at home

Last edited by Portubong; 13th April 2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 14th April 2019
  #322
Coke...is it!
Nike...just do it!
Disney...the happiest place on Earth!
Klark Teknik...it doesn't completely suck!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #323
Gear Nut
Thanks for the Atty recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Exactly what i meant! It's very controlled and - hate to say this but it's true - it instantly sounds like a record. I will still keep experimenting myself.

I can recommend everyone to put an attenuator after your KT-2A or KT-76 so you can controll the amount of distortion (the 2A has plenty of it with higher output gain). I use Nano Patch.

@ jfjer i had my first order at gear4music but as soon as they moved the date around i checked at thomann and luckily i got one of the last ones from the latest batch.
Yes it's like a race getting these things. Between thomann, gear4music or musicstore. You have to call them and ask about the preorder list. Crazy numbers.
No wonder looking at those prices. Happy hunting.

For me it was a no brainer especially after I've seen this:
10 years warranty
Thanks for the attenuator recommendation. I was going to grab a more expensive one until I saw you mention the Nano Patch. Looks like a great build and very reasonable, especially given it’s two channel. It will now get here two days before my KT-2A and MC77 !!! ??
Old 2 weeks ago
  #324
Here for the gear
 

as the second 12AX7 and EL84 tube are not in the audio path (I think both work with the opto), I wonder if it is worth it to swap them for a more expensive one?. Did anyone swap them?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #325
Here for the gear
 

how do I know which one of the two 12ax7's is the one in the signal path? I would like to swap it (and the 12BH7 as well).
Old 2 weeks ago
  #326
Gear Nut
 

Have a pair of these, hard to compare because I haven't tried other la2a clones but the only thing I really like their color on is the drums and bass, really adds heft but I don't like the top end they don't do much for me on vocals. There seems to be quite a bit of roll off and it isn't silky, it sounds a little cheap. Again that's just my impression. How do others find them compared to others like wa2a, gap 2a, stam 2a?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #327
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
Have a pair of these, hard to compare because I haven't tried other la2a clones but the only thing I really like their color on is the drums and bass, really adds heft but I don't like the top end they don't do much for me on vocals. There seems to be quite a bit of roll off and it isn't silky, it sounds a little cheap. Again that's just my impression. How do others find them compared to others like wa2a, gap 2a, stam 2a?
I agree with you and I have mentioned this here before more than once. The only reason I haven't sold it yet, its because I also think it suits bass guitar. Its almost like a dynamic lowpass filter to me. But in all honesty, I might end up selling it soon. I have a problem with shipping cost as well from where I live which makes it a not so much worth sale in terms of recoup, but it is surely my piece of gear hanging on the cliff as of now.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #328
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
I agree with you and I have mentioned this here before more than once. The only reason I haven't sold it yet, its because I also think it suits bass guitar. Its almost like a dynamic lowpass filter to me. But in all honesty, I might end up selling it soon. I have a problem with shipping cost as well from where I live which makes it a not so much worth sale in terms of recoup, but it is surely my piece of gear hanging on the cliff as of now.
Yea I might keep them because its such low value to sell again and deal with shipment etc. but as I said bass and drums for color. I thought I might be insane though because everyone raves about these things, but 2as are a staple of vocals and I think these don't shine in that regard.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #329
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I got eaten for lunch basically when I sold my EQP-KT and my Model D synthesizer.

Resale on these things is horrible, so you should take that into account when shopping.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #330
Lives for gear
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
If I get one I’d use it for bass. I really like my Manley Elop+ for that but then I only have one channel left of the great Elop so either another Elop or one of these. Or both
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump