The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new Crazy analog monster synthesizer [Kickstarter]
Old 24th February 2018
new Crazy analog monster synthesizer [Kickstarter]

hello everyone... we just launched a crazy analog monster synthesizer kickstarter fundraiser.

If you are looking for an extremely powerful and unique machine, sure go check this out... and please pass the word AMAYC as all depends on it.

We are giving a 5% discount for every backer that you bring to the project, so get 20 of them and get a free 2500$ analog dream... ;-)

[quote] S.O.L.A.R. RAYY Morphic Dual-Layers Analog PolySynthesizer by Yann Levesque β€”
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Guru

I like the sound of what your doing but it would be nicer if we could see a picture of finished prototype or at least a rendering..?
Old 24th February 2018
Looks interesting, but aren't there sound demos?

Cheers,
Bert
Old 24th February 2018
No prototype yet and thats the point, seems you didnt read the whole text... ;-)

All we need is the funds the be assured to fulfill the project to the end.
and we wanna leave it open to user wishes.
as u saw in the text we are collaborating with peoples who are doing way more complex projects on a daily basis and have someone linked to our team who designed satellites, so this electronics is complex sure but for him its child play probably as easy as it is for u to do a scale on the keyboard... electronics is an exact science.
+we also have a prototyper for the prototype stage.

all we need is the backers, interest peoples in the project, if we reach 120,000$ then ur gonna have the unit before 2019, if not you wont be charge a dime and the project is canceled.... or you can always cancel by yourself at any point before the next 40 days... its an all or nothing, a go or no go, but we need peoples to officially say "ok im interested" and also spread the word.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Addict

I am intrigued.. demos?? Btw. Why tt-phone connectors for external cv?
Old 24th February 2018
OK, got me (and androlic as well it seems).
No, i didn't read every single word of the text; I concentrated on the sound possibilities.
I am roughly informed on how crowdfunding works (backed more than a dozen projects in the past, more than half of which disappeared into nothingness).
Sorry, but before I haven't heard anything, I'm still vaguely interested, but not yet ready to back the project with my money.
All the best to you, though - maybe I'll join your boat later.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 24th February 2018
no, no demo yet... we will built this thing... how will it sound exactly... dont know... but sure analog, solid, well made and heavy modulation options.

why TT... simply Smaller military bantam format and in general less prone to damage... for front panel patch point between layers in priority, but software will remember connections and make them internally on patch recall.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Addict

Will the synth have this oval shape like showed on the top of the kickstarter page? I would not be too crazy about the design then. Reminds me of a oversized guitar-pod.
Old 24th February 2018
ok Bert, i understand... but the way we wanna do it in partial collaboration with the end users building a prototype that will be useless AND not the final product AND having to redo all the work twice is a huge non-sense loss of time and money.

And rest assure that we totally have the backbone to do it, minimal trust is necessary sure, but this is all up to you in the end.
Old 24th February 2018
< moderator message - hi Mooshi3, welcome to GS. I'll allow this product thread here as exception. please also post here? Thanks and good luck with the project! >
Old 24th February 2018
androlic... no me too i dont like it too much... the first direction was a sun-like shape, the rhythmic mod unit was intended to be on a sun's ray but since in drawing im a total ****head, i just left a vague oval shape... and anyway its not my job, its gonna be maude's job and as you must have notice her artistic skills are pretty solid... many of her painting sold for over 30k for a reason...

the idea is that directly after end of fundraiser, all communication with backers will move to a forum on our website with daily communication and at least weekly updates, videos n stuff.... there you can speak of and direct the final machine and if most peoples really like the design then its probably right.
Old 24th February 2018
ok, thanks reptil
Old 24th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshi3 View Post
hello everyone... we just launched a crazy analog monster synthesizer kickstarter fundraiser.
Excuse my rant. But without a working prototype you folks are IMO wasting your time.

I got nothing against new synths.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Even with a working prototype, the last few Kickstarters I've backed have gone over budget and way over time and delivered buggy versions to the backers.

You think you know, but until you are shipping data to vendors to cut the circuit boards and making cases, you are mostly guessing.

The other area of constant trouble is user involvement. Letting users continually make suggestions means you try to build a moving target with a fixed price, which rarely succeeds.

My suggestion is to go away for a bit, nail down a core feature set, build a prototype to that, put together a good demo if it, then start the campaign. Accept all feature requests, queue then up and only do them if they fit in your time and money constraints.

Oh, on the tt patching - you are going to get a lot of pushback because that's incompatible with every other patching system in the world (except for high end mixing consoles) and tt patch cables are a lot more expensive per cable than the regular 1/4 inch or 1/8 varieties.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
The other area of constant trouble is user involvement. Letting users continually make suggestions means you try to build a moving target with a fixed price, which rarely succeeds.
This is a very important thought, imo.
Old 24th February 2018
Don Solaris.... Why losing our time?

Sure a prototype is a good seller but this leaves zero room for improvements

+the project is live since yesterday and we already have 2 backers, one who took a 4-voices unit, so over 2% of the funding is already done.

Also our goal is not to make money with this but more create an amazingly solid and loved machine... we see it more as a visit card which can launch a solid company, we already have 5 more project but this is the one that we start with and one of the other project we are still having some potential technological difficulties involving a 3-iPad wide touch screen and a fully weighted AND half weighted keyboard thinner than a snickers bar. ;-)
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Mooshi, word of advice. Jumping in here to defend your ideas, apart from not looking very pro, won't help you.

I say that because if you haven't got a stream of people in this thread commenting on how great your plan is, then you have to ask, is your kickstarter working? There are people here who have seen a lot of synths - your target audience. You might have a really excellent dream, but Kickstarter is to sell that dream.

Far be it for me to expect you to take unsolicited advice from random people on the internet. . . but if a new business wants its customers to make a gamble (essentially what you're asking), then that business should have taken a greater one: Get out into a real life bank manager's office, get a loan, finance your R&D, use your physical hands to make a real prototype which you can pick up, play and video. People these days seem to think the computer is the whole world. Use your hands . As I said, this is unsolicited advice - you can take it or leave it. Best of luck!
Old 24th February 2018
oldgearguy... read post to Don Solaris

as said... making money is not our goal here

and as explained in the text we are not guessing anything as we are working with a professional electrical engineering firm which are doing way more complex devices on a daily basis, from end to finish, drawing, PCB, machining, plastic molding, software, they even have a prototyper, they are fully aware of all the small technicalities.

also change to the design will always be minimal and always easily done in the software drawing process... and users are not in control neither, we are and no non-sense will be followed.

TT cause 1/8 will break, 1/4 are bulky and TT are still more solid than 1/4... +TT cost 6$ retail while 1/4 4,50$, do you really care for a 10$ more on a 3000$ synth for something that wont break and is fun to use... +CV might be used by only 20% as internal patching is also avilable... also TT is just a connector and is not incompatible with nothing, just depend on whats on the other end of the cable.
Old 24th February 2018
praxiaxis... thanks for your advise

i understand it, but i am not defending my ideas im just answering question peacefully... if you dont believe in the project, great dont back it... simple

and this is not a dream, we are making this synth BUT we want an interaction with the end users if not we would not use kickstarter... afterwards a 2nd batch will go into shop... and i got over 45 synths in my life so i guess i know what im talking about too ;-)

we already have peoples who backed it after less than a day so it must not be that crazy.

want it or not the technicality of making an analog synth are not secret and its an exact science, what makes the difference is the design behind it.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Here's my last comment/free advice in this thread (from someone that's owned hundreds of synths both common and exceedingly rare in the past 30+ years) --

Years ago, before Kickstarter and crowd funding, the GenoQs Octopus people went from an idea to selling hardware in about a year and a half. They didn't have Kickstarter available, they didn't solicit input from hundreds of potential buyers, and yet they were able to develop and sell a very successful product.

You would be wise to contact them to understand what worked and where the problems were and how they could do it in such a short time.

For synthesizers, contact Brad at Futuresonus Parva and ask him about the good, bad, and ugly of dealing with a Kickstarter group and making a synthesizer from scratch.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Nut

Hey I think the features look great.

mooshi without a rendered or working prototype, you are selling yourself and people's enthusiasm or assessment of risk will be based accordingly.

Can you reference more of what you've done?

I'd bet if Tats from Korg did a Kickstarter with little developed he'd establish a cult of followers
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear
I don't think you're allowed to do a hardware Kickstarter project without a working prototype
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Wow this kickstarter is one step advanced from someone drawing a design on the back of a napkin.

Also, naming the thread "crazy analog monster synthesizer" makes it sound like you are 12 years old.

Sorry, but you need to demonstrate to people what you can build already, what your previous experience is, show a working prototype.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear
My B.S detector is overdriving it's filter
Old 24th February 2018
M32
Lives for gear

Good luck with a very ambitious endeavour. A few questions/remarks:

The morph wheel feature is a nice idea, seems to be the only more innovative/different idea proposed so far. This seems to suggest there will indeed be digital scanning of parameter values

I'm not an electrical or technical expert, but quoting resolutions for sliders in graphic horizontal lines (1200p etc) as opposed to the usual bith dept professional manufacturers quote, is a bit odd to say the least.

This begs three questions:

Does this mean parameters will be stepped, what is the solution you have for this or will resolution be sufficient?

Does this mean there will be a possibility to save presets as well?

If all parameter values are availeable digitally, why such a limited one-on-one modulation system with a very limited amount of destinations.

envelope looping/reverse and varying keytracking from 0 to 200 percent are quite obvious omissions from the design so far.

No mention of velocity or aftertouch implementations, portamento.

To me a vowel filter will always be a more gimmicky thing, a second fully flexible multimode filter is a lot more useful, and can usually achieve the same results when used knowingly.

I fear that your project will indeed suffer from the limited amount of prototyped material. Not that your group has insufficient knowlegde or skills, but because few people are going to back this project sufficiently to get started, without seeing some more real-life evidence of what your team is capable of.

I appreciate the idea of co-development of an instrument by the end-user/musicians, but perhaps it would be better to start with some smaller projects to gain knowledge, backing and reputation first?
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
how will it sound exactly... dont know...
For me, this is probably the biggest inhibiting factor to supporting your campaign.

If you don't know what it will sound like, then what exactly are we being asked to back? To me this is pretty critical. Even if your software dev could provide some examples in software, that would be a good start.

Oh - And I DID read through your entire KS page.

Greg
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Sorry, but you need to demonstrate to people what you can build already, what your previous experience is, show a working prototype.
Yep. If you haven't invested enough of your own time, energy and especially money into building a prototype, why should anyone else?

Even kickstarters with developed prototypes are prone to failure (see the Microrythm thread), so absence of one almost guarantees it.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Wow this kickstarter is one step advanced from someone drawing a design on the back of a napkin.

Also, naming the thread "crazy analog monster synthesizer" makes it sound like you are 12 years old.

I'm pretty sure this is B.S

B.S of an interesting sort, I don't think it's a cash scam so much as a concerted effort to annoy the "Stereotypical GS user"

Hey mods, if you haven't read the theory I posted in the Virus (not the synth) thread yesterday than you should,

This is EXACTLY the type of thing I was referring to, and I believe its purpose is that which I stated in that other post.

I think someone is making an effort to drive traffic away from gearslutz on a number of fronts,

The sudden proliferation of this type of thread being one of them.

I think someone is looking to knock you off your perch
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Don Solaris.... Why losing our time?

Sure a prototype is a good seller but this leaves zero room for improvements
Because what you believe you can build and what you can actually build are most likely two different things. The prototype is the tool that aligns those two realities
Old 24th February 2018
oldgearguy.... i understand where u stand and what u see.

but, you must understand that we have ZERO technical difficulties on this project.

i also know about the parva, but its a completely different story, goal and way of doing it and he started with a working prototype too.

the key difference is that these 2 groups that you mentioned started from scratch, not us... our team already built many hundreds of highly complex devices, they looked at the feasibility of all this for many many hours down to each modules, software protocol needed, cost estimation and time until they can say "ok, sure no problem we can do it" and normally they are not dealing with such small project.

how much time would have Octopus taken to fully design a global cellular network system?... 50 years... we already have someone who did it single-handedly... dont you think he can handle oscillator stuff?... its taking him 20 years back.

about dealing with kickstarter.... its very very simple... you're interested, you believe its a great idea, then get in, we do it, we make sure along the process that you like it (outside of kickstarter), we finalize it perfectly, we ship... theres nothing more to that... after we might move further on our side.

Honestly we know perfectly where we are going with that and this is not a money issue but because we want to do it and if we see that there,s not much interest in the project then we simply wont do it or i might give them 30k and ask them to make 3 for us, i'll have a lot of fun with it and i'll continue doing what i do.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear