The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Orb Composer (AI for music) Pre order offer !
Old 14th March 2018
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post
thank you kindly Hex.
my main question then is whether ORB does full-blown melodies or only sketches of melodic ideas? if i construct a 5 min song with the various blocks, can it be equivalent to a full orchestration with all the elements?
the melodies in the raw video are quite arpeggiator-like - are more complex melodies, which for instance use notes from c2 to c5 and varying note lengths possible with the AI?
Thanks and good luck with the software!
Hello Remarkable !
What creates the arpeggiator feeling is the accompaniment role, not the melodic role
The normal melody role produces a complete melody with a maximum range of 2 Octaves.
You can also add multiple melodies in the same block.
The engine is now working very well and some melodies are really surprising !

Yes it produces a full orchestration mockup, you can choose all the instruments/articulations/roles/dynamics very easily.

When you switch to the DAW, it's usually to work on the details.

Hope my answer helps
Old 14th March 2018
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Thanks a lot, it helps, yes
one last question - when i load a midi, can the AI develop it in a uniquely original way each time? for instance, if i put in a classic mozart melody, can i get a mock-up with the AI, based on this melody, which will be completely original and stand on its own?
Old 15th March 2018
  #33
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexachords View Post
The normal melody role produces a complete melody with a maximum range of 2 Octaves.


why only 2 octaves? what's the reason/logic behind this limitation?
Old 17th March 2018
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post

why only 2 octaves? what's the reason/logic behind this limitation?
Hello Because it's the range in which the IA gives the best results (not to mention the issue of instruments ranges in some tonalities if you go over 2 octaves)
Old 17th March 2018
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post
Thanks a lot, it helps, yes
one last question - when i load a midi, can the AI develop it in a uniquely original way each time? for instance, if i put in a classic mozart melody, can i get a mock-up with the AI, based on this melody, which will be completely original and stand on its own?
Well, if you input a Mozart Melody, you can have fun by playing out with all the parameters (chords/orchestration,etc .) and get a very surprising result for sure.

Orb Composer is meant to experiment ideas, this idea would actually be fun to test ! (maybe an idea for a future video )
Old 17th March 2018
  #36
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexachords View Post
Because it's the range in which the IA gives the best results
In my humble opinion the ranges should be user-definable.
A competing, not-to-be-named-here product I'm using allows the user to set up to three ranges per instrument (low, mid, high, those may even overlap)
Old 17th March 2018
  #37
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexachords View Post
Orb Composer is meant to experiment ideas, this idea would actually be fun to test ! (maybe an idea for a future video )
Would also love to see this idea.
Bring it on!
Old 17th March 2018
  #38
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEnergy View Post
In my humble opinion the ranges should be user-definable.
A competing, not-to-be-named-here product I'm using allows the user to set up to three ranges per instrument (low, mid, high, those may even overlap)
friendisimo, SF is not based on AI [yet?], thereby, it is perhaps logical that they implement a 3-range model per instrument... I guess that perhaps going more than 2 at a time - creates artifacts with the AI engine, it makes sense mathematically...

as much as I know SF [had the demo running for a bit] - it's an excellent prototyping tool, but it's not meant for generating music from scratch, as well as orchestrating large timeframes as it focuses on phrases. I'm not judging at all, just saying that i wouldn't empirically put them side by side, as they don't belong to the same category and are to be used for different purposes altogether. If anything, I reckon that experimenting with the midi files from ORB in SF can be quite a fascinating process - for those whose workflow is phrases-driven. Personally, I don't belong to this category as I don't quite engage with linear composition/arranging.
Old 17th March 2018
  #39
Gear Head
 

What a great Tool! Congrats!
Old 17th March 2018
  #40
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon200 View Post
What a great Tool! Congrats!
It's not even out yet.
Old 20th March 2018
  #41
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexachords View Post
Orb Composer is meant to experiment ideas
AI = learning a way of doing things, correcting oneself, applying thoughtful choices, etc.... Are the 6 basic templates capable of/programmed to doing that? Does every user's AI evolve in a unique way as a result of his/her choices over time?
How is it more than just an automatic arranger with pre-programmed rules?

(On the website you write that users can create own musical styles - so is the user able to foster his own AI - working without choosing one of six templates and creating his own?)

Is there harmonization of imported melodies? During the import of a melody, does ORB detect chords and proposes an infinite number of potential progressions [depending on instrument articulations, user choices etc']?
Does it take into account the first theme to make a 1st and 2nd variations?

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2018
  #42
Here for the gear
 

I would also like to see answers to those questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post
AI = learning a way of doing things, correcting oneself, applying thoughtful choices, etc.... Are the 6 basic templates capable of/programmed to doing that? Does every user's AI evolve in a unique way as a result of his/her choices over time?
How is it more than just an automatic arranger with pre-programmed rules?

(On the website you write that users can create own musical styles - so is the user able to foster his own AI - working without choosing one of six templates and creating his own?)

Is there harmonization of imported melodies? During the import of a melody, does ORB detect chords and proposes an infinite number of potential progressions [depending on instrument articulations, user choices etc']?
Does it take into account the first theme to make a 1st and 2nd variations?

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2018
  #43
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEnergy View Post
I would also like to see answers to those questions...
Hit us with a few answers before the release.
Old 27th March 2018
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Waiting for the answers also.
Old 27th March 2018
  #45
Here for the gear
 

Just preordered Orb Composer. Hope this lives up to the expectations.
Old 27th March 2018
  #46
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEnergy View Post
Just preordered Orb Composer. Hope this lives up to the expectations.
First of all, congratulations Comrade! May it live to your highest expectations. I personally decided not to pre-order, so i'll be very interested in getting your opinions after you play a little with it. You seem to me like a very serious power-user
Old 27th March 2018
  #47
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post
First of all, congratulations Comrade! May it live to your highest expectations. I personally decided not to pre-order, so i'll be very interested in getting your opinions after you play a little with it. You seem to me like a very serious power-user
Thanks for your appreciation.
As soon as I have this baby up and running I'll post a video screencast on my YouTube channel (see link in signature).
Old 30th March 2018
  #48
Gear Maniac
 

I wonder why we get no answers...
Old 31st March 2018
  #49
Here for the gear
 

Thinking maybe it is because the release is so close, must be a busy time.
Old 1st April 2018
  #50
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd-Baraka View Post
I wonder why we get no answers...
Richard told me in an IM that he's totally swamped with work due to the imminent Orb Composer release
Old 1st April 2018
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Oh okay, makes sense, will wait though.
Old 2nd April 2018
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Only a few hours left until release...
unless it gets delayed for some reason or another...
Can hardly await it.
Old 2nd April 2018
  #53
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEnergy View Post
Only a few hours left until release...
unless it gets delayed for some reason or another...
Can hardly await it.
I hope the demo gets released at the same timing, so at least, the poor among us can play and see what's the buzz all about
Old 2nd April 2018
  #54
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post
see what's the buzz all about
As soon as I get a firm grasp of Orb Composer, I'll create a "First impression" video.
Old 2nd April 2018
  #55
Here for the gear
 

β€žOrb Composer will be available April'3
at 11h59 pm (Pacific time)β€œ

It seems they realised that we today still have easter holiday in europe.....
Old 2nd April 2018
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEnergy View Post
As soon as I get a firm grasp of Orb Composer, I'll create a "First impression" video.
their website now states - Orb Composer will be available April'3 at 11h59 pm (Pacific time)
Old 2nd April 2018
  #57
Hello
Sorry for not being more available these days, as Heiko kindly stated, we are preparing the release.
It will be available in 22 hours from now ...
There will be a demo ready with the launch, and I will come back here to answer the questions (including your previous ones remarkable)
Thanks for your patience.
Old 3rd April 2018
  #58
Here for the gear
 

Orb Composer will be available in
0 : 00 : 00 : 00

DRAMA
Old 3rd April 2018
  #59
Here for the gear
 

Now available!
Old 3rd April 2018
  #60
Here for the gear
 

I still have no access to it. My order is in state "processing", no downloads available for me.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear