Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Products - Coming soon (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/)
-   -   Orb Composer (AI for music) Pre order offer ! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/1203333-orb-composer-ai-music-pre-order-offer.html)

Hexachords 14th March 2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remarkable (Post 13199461)
thank you kindly Hex.
my main question then is whether ORB does full-blown melodies or only sketches of melodic ideas? if i construct a 5 min song with the various blocks, can it be equivalent to a full orchestration with all the elements?
the melodies in the raw video are quite arpeggiator-like - are more complex melodies, which for instance use notes from c2 to c5 and varying note lengths possible with the AI?
Thanks and good luck with the software!

Hello Remarkable !
What creates the arpeggiator feeling is the accompaniment role, not the melodic role ;)
The normal melody role produces a complete melody with a maximum range of 2 Octaves.
You can also add multiple melodies in the same block.
The engine is now working very well and some melodies are really surprising !

Yes it produces a full orchestration mockup, you can choose all the instruments/articulations/roles/dynamics very easily.

When you switch to the DAW, it's usually to work on the details.

Hope my answer helps ;)

remarkable 14th March 2018 09:35 PM

Thanks a lot, it helps, yes :)
one last question - when i load a midi, can the AI develop it in a uniquely original way each time? for instance, if i put in a classic mozart melody, can i get a mock-up with the AI, based on this melody, which will be completely original and stand on its own?

remarkable 15th March 2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexachords (Post 13199928)
The normal melody role produces a complete melody with a maximum range of 2 Octaves.



why only 2 octaves? what's the reason/logic behind this limitation?

Hexachords 17th March 2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remarkable (Post 13200866)

why only 2 octaves? what's the reason/logic behind this limitation?

Hello :) Because it's the range in which the IA gives the best results ;) (not to mention the issue of instruments ranges in some tonalities if you go over 2 octaves)

Hexachords 17th March 2018 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remarkable (Post 13199967)
Thanks a lot, it helps, yes :)
one last question - when i load a midi, can the AI develop it in a uniquely original way each time? for instance, if i put in a classic mozart melody, can i get a mock-up with the AI, based on this melody, which will be completely original and stand on its own?

Well, if you input a Mozart Melody, you can have fun by playing out with all the parameters (chords/orchestration,etc .) and get a very surprising result for sure.

Orb Composer is meant to experiment ideas, this idea would actually be fun to test ! (maybe an idea for a future video ;) )

HiEnergy 17th March 2018 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexachords (Post 13204333)
Because it's the range in which the IA gives the best results ;)

In my humble opinion the ranges should be user-definable.
A competing, not-to-be-named-here product I'm using allows the user to set up to three ranges per instrument (low, mid, high, those may even overlap)

HiEnergy 17th March 2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexachords (Post 13204335)
Orb Composer is meant to experiment ideas, this idea would actually be fun to test ! (maybe an idea for a future video ;) )

Would also love to see this idea.
Bring it on! cooge

remarkable 17th March 2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiEnergy (Post 13204391)
In my humble opinion the ranges should be user-definable.
A competing, not-to-be-named-here product I'm using allows the user to set up to three ranges per instrument (low, mid, high, those may even overlap)

friendisimo, SF is not based on AI [yet?], thereby, it is perhaps logical that they implement a 3-range model per instrument... I guess that perhaps going more than 2 at a time - creates artifacts with the AI engine, it makes sense mathematically...

as much as I know SF [had the demo running for a bit] - it's an excellent prototyping tool, but it's not meant for generating music from scratch, as well as orchestrating large timeframes as it focuses on phrases. I'm not judging at all, just saying that i wouldn't empirically put them side by side, as they don't belong to the same category and are to be used for different purposes altogether. If anything, I reckon that experimenting with the midi files from ORB in SF can be quite a fascinating process - for those whose workflow is phrases-driven. Personally, I don't belong to this category as I don't quite engage with linear composition/arranging.

Lexicon200 17th March 2018 05:15 PM

What a great Tool! Congrats!

philp88 17th March 2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexicon200 (Post 13205325)
What a great Tool! Congrats!

It's not even out yet.

remarkable 20th March 2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexachords (Post 13204335)
Orb Composer is meant to experiment ideas

AI = learning a way of doing things, correcting oneself, applying thoughtful choices, etc.... Are the 6 basic templates capable of/programmed to doing that? Does every user's AI evolve in a unique way as a result of his/her choices over time?
How is it more than just an automatic arranger with pre-programmed rules?

(On the website you write that users can create own musical styles - so is the user able to foster his own AI - working without choosing one of six templates and creating his own?)

Is there harmonization of imported melodies? During the import of a melody, does ORB detect chords and proposes an infinite number of potential progressions [depending on instrument articulations, user choices etc']?
Does it take into account the first theme to make a 1st and 2nd variations?

Thanks!

HiEnergy 26th March 2018 01:10 PM

I would also like to see answers to those questions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by remarkable (Post 13209973)
AI = learning a way of doing things, correcting oneself, applying thoughtful choices, etc.... Are the 6 basic templates capable of/programmed to doing that? Does every user's AI evolve in a unique way as a result of his/her choices over time?
How is it more than just an automatic arranger with pre-programmed rules?

(On the website you write that users can create own musical styles - so is the user able to foster his own AI - working without choosing one of six templates and creating his own?)

Is there harmonization of imported melodies? During the import of a melody, does ORB detect chords and proposes an infinite number of potential progressions [depending on instrument articulations, user choices etc']?
Does it take into account the first theme to make a 1st and 2nd variations?

Thanks!


duderancher 26th March 2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiEnergy (Post 13221019)
I would also like to see answers to those questions...

Hit us with a few answers before the release. :)

Pd-Baraka 27th March 2018 02:17 AM

Waiting for the answers also.

HiEnergy 27th March 2018 12:14 PM

Just preordered Orb Composer. Hope this lives up to the expectations.

remarkable 27th March 2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiEnergy (Post 13222917)
Just preordered Orb Composer. Hope this lives up to the expectations.

First of all, congratulations Comrade! May it live to your highest expectations. I personally decided not to pre-order, so i'll be very interested in getting your opinions after you play a little with it. You seem to me like a very serious power-user :)

HiEnergy 27th March 2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remarkable (Post 13223138)
First of all, congratulations Comrade! May it live to your highest expectations. I personally decided not to pre-order, so i'll be very interested in getting your opinions after you play a little with it. You seem to me like a very serious power-user :)

Thanks for your appreciation.
As soon as I have this baby up and running I'll post a video screencast on my YouTube channel (see link in signature).

Pd-Baraka 30th March 2018 11:48 PM

I wonder why we get no answers...

Ilkkabong 31st March 2018 01:27 AM

Thinking maybe it is because the release is so close, must be a busy time.

HiEnergy 1st April 2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pd-Baraka (Post 13230360)
I wonder why we get no answers...

Richard told me in an IM that he's totally swamped with work due to the imminent Orb Composer release

Pd-Baraka 1st April 2018 03:04 PM

Oh okay, makes sense, will wait though.

HiEnergy 2nd April 2018 08:01 AM

boing Only a few hours left until release... boing
unless it gets delayed for some reason or another...
Can hardly await it.

remarkable 2nd April 2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiEnergy (Post 13234048)
boing Only a few hours left until release... boing
unless it gets delayed for some reason or another...
Can hardly await it.

I hope the demo gets released at the same timing, so at least, the poor among us can play and see what's the buzz all about :cowbell:

HiEnergy 2nd April 2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remarkable (Post 13234053)
see what's the buzz all about

As soon as I get a firm grasp of Orb Composer, I'll create a "First impression" video.

stepkus 2nd April 2018 09:28 AM

„Orb Composer will be available April'3
at 11h59 pm (Pacific time)“

It seems they realised that we today still have easter holiday in europe.....

remarkable 2nd April 2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiEnergy (Post 13234063)
As soon as I get a firm grasp of Orb Composer, I'll create a "First impression" video.

their website now states - Orb Composer will be available April'3 at 11h59 pm (Pacific time)

Hexachords 2nd April 2018 09:47 AM

Hello :)
Sorry for not being more available these days, as Heiko kindly stated, we are preparing the release.
It will be available in 22 hours from now ...
There will be a demo ready with the launch, and I will come back here to answer the questions (including your previous ones remarkable)
Thanks for your patience.

remarkable 3rd April 2018 07:18 AM

Orb Composer will be available in
0 : 00 : 00 : 00

DRAMA :)

remarkable 3rd April 2018 08:14 AM

Now available!

HiEnergy 3rd April 2018 08:53 AM

I still have no access to it. My order is in state "processing", no downloads available for me.