The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient Announces New Audio Interface: iD44 Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
It is indeed a screenshot of my current iD22 app.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey Audient! This looks really really promising and ticks most of my boxes, I just have a few questions:

-The headphone DAC says 124db dynamic range in the tech specs, but on the product page when you scroll down to "The specs" it says 114db. So I'm simply wondering which is the correct number?

-Are there any plans on adding DSP-effects such as a compressor, eq and reverb? That would be a big big plus for me, since I record a lot of vocals and it just makes the recording process so much more pleasant. I know you can route reverb from the daw with a slight latency, but a bit of compression and EQ also makes a big difference for me. This is probably the biggest con for me with the id44 as of now. Other than that, it seems like such a great interface for the money.

-Lastly, are you planning on releasing an id88 or similar interface in the somewhat near future (perhaps rackable)? A standalone 8 channel ad/da could also be very attractive to expand with. I know you have the 8 channel preamp unit, but that is only AD conversion if I understood it right?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
ADAT is not daisy chainable.

You can use a single iD as a converter but they don't really have a standalone mode (except the 44) so they still need to be connected via USB for the dsp mixer settings to activate.

If you had those three interfaces then you could get 10 ins using the 44 as master with all of them connected via usb.
10 ins? You mean 8 right? And the ID14 would need to be the master, I think

Still, if that were possible I might consider it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
Im pretty sure iD22’s preamps/inputs can be used with the digital outs in standalone, so you could expand another interface with (optical) digital ins by 2(w/iD22, and likewise 4 w/iD44). But that interface would have to have 2 digital ins to use both together.
You can totally use the ID22 standalone, I'm doing it right now

You dial in your settings with the usb plugged in, it then retains the settings and away you go,

So, I assume you COULD have an ID44 either before or after it feeding into an ID14 connected via usb, should you need 8 pre/converters of comparable quality

Right?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Which is what I said....but also important to note there is no proper standalone on iD22.
It needs to be connected via USB and the pre to digi out setting made and this will only hold while power remains on so easiest option is to leave it connected.
iD44 does have proper standalone mode.
I need to correct this again

There IS proper stand alone on the ID22

I've even achieved stand-alone (Not quite sure how, but I have) with an ID14 and an ID22 running into it and NOTHING connected via USB
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
10 ins? You mean 8 right? And the ID14 would need to be the master, I think

Still, if that were possible I might consider it
Sorry I did mean 8 but actually that's also incorrect...I forgot iD14 only has adat input not out.

So iD14 must be master and you can only plug one or the other other interface in to it.....SO 6 ins is the best you can do with these three interfaces.

Quote:
So, I assume you COULD have an ID44 either before or after it feeding into an ID14 connected via usb, should you need 8 pre/converters of comparable quality
I'm not sure I'm following your routing...if the iD22 is connected by USB an iD14 connected by USB isn't going to work alongside it....as you can only select one interface in your DAW...no?
There's the workarounds of aggregating devices on Mac or ASIO4all in Windows but then there is no sync between devices doing it this way and it's often problematic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need to correct this again

There IS proper stand alone on the ID22

I've even achieved stand-alone (Not quite sure how, but I have) with an ID14 and an ID22 running into it and NOTHING connected via USB
Don't exactly understand your sentence....you have an iD14 and an iD22 running into it...into what? Another iD22?

If power is left on then they retain settings. You might get some standalone analogue function at default setting when powering on.

Once powered off settings are lost and so if you need anything other than default you MUST connect USB to make settings. This is why even Audient themselves are not claiming it has a real standalone mode (which they have added with the iD44)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
You can totally use the ID22 standalone, I'm doing it right now
Yeah that’s what I was saying.

Quote:

Right?
Yes(thought only 6 in’s technically. The 2 on iD14, plus the 4 on iD44).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So all that's out there for this so far is a first look video without audio samples

and a review without audio samples. Reviewed: Audient iD44 audio interface

Oh and there's this video

but the music is already mixed!

Great job, Audient! Your marketing team needs to stop sending pre-release units out to scrubs. I can understand the Production "Expert" video not having unmixed audio samples because it was still in development at that time but there are better reviewers out there who could help hype your new product(s) better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel.Andreas View Post
Hey Audient! This looks really really promising and ticks most of my boxes, I just have a few questions:

-The headphone DAC says 124db dynamic range in the tech specs, but on the product page when you scroll down to "The specs" it says 114db. So I'm simply wondering which is the correct number?

-Are there any plans on adding DSP-effects such as a compressor, eq and reverb? That would be a big big plus for me, since I record a lot of vocals and it just makes the recording process so much more pleasant. I know you can route reverb from the daw with a slight latency, but a bit of compression and EQ also makes a big difference for me. This is probably the biggest con for me with the id44 as of now. Other than that, it seems like such a great interface for the money.

-Lastly, are you planning on releasing an id88 or similar interface in the somewhat near future (perhaps rackable)? A standalone 8 channel ad/da could also be very attractive to expand with. I know you have the 8 channel preamp unit, but that is only AD conversion if I understood it right?

Thanks!
I'd like answers to this too, especially as it regards the discrepancies in info for the HP dynamic range
Old 2 weeks ago
I.P
Gear Nut

does a/d conversion happens all the time (id44)?
if i plug 4 analogue synthesizers is it possible to have analogue monitoring
or the signal will do an a/d -> d/a cycle ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel.Andreas View Post

Thanks!
Hey there,

The iD44's headphone output has a dynamic range of 124dB as stated in the specs and measured under AES-17. It looks like the website has already been updated but I'll double check theres not typo's anywhere else. Thanks for the heads up.

There are no plans at the moment to add DSP to the iD44. The DSP power on board currently is used to control all the routing and there simply isn't the power for Audio FX. To add DSP would be a major re-design and the cost would become higher. I can definitely see how DSP can be useful during tracking though so maybe thats something we look at in the future.

As you can probably imagine, my manager wouldn't be overly happy if I started talking about our current development plans on a public forum I can't go into any details as to what may be next but an 8 channel interface or AD/DA box would be a pretty good addition.

Quote:
does a/d conversion happens all the time (id44)?
if i plug 4 analogue synthesizers is it possible to have analogue monitoring
or the signal will do an a/d -> d/a cycle ?
The AD/DA will be happing at all times a signal is passing through the interface as all the internal routing is controlled via DSP. However because the signal doesn't have to make a round trip to the computer and back there is a very small amount of latency:

44.1 kHz - 0.677ms
48.0 kHz - 0.625ms
88.2 kHz - 0.345ms
96.0 kHz - 0.3236ms
Old 2 weeks ago
So.....when is the id44 gonna release? Lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
So.....when is the id44 gonna release? Lol.
My local store has it in stock.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycraig View Post
And I'm just sitting back, twiddling my thumbs, eagerly awaiting the reviews :(
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Okay let me rephrase. Where all dem reviews at!? Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
And I'm just sitting back, twiddling my thumbs, eagerly awaiting the reviews :(
Same.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Returned my Presonus Studio 1824 because I had terrible connection and distortion issues and ordered the iD44 in return, I must say it looks very promising! Can't wait to receive it this week and put it through it's paces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moos_music View Post
Returned my Presonus Studio 1824 because I had terrible connection and distortion issues and ordered the iD44 in return, I must say it looks very promising! Can't wait to receive it this week and put it through it's paces
We want a detailed, in-depth run down after about two weeks of using it. And don't have us waiting any longer than that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
We want a detailed, in-depth run down after about two weeks of using it. And don't have us waiting any longer than that.
No prob, I will definitely share! Hope to receive it later this week
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
So let me get this straight. The id44 is out? But no one is talking about it? Or reviewing it? I am confused lol
Old 1 week ago
Okay so after watching the sonicstate video it does appear the id44 is out. Sweetwater says its out friday july 13. Now..........where is those reviews!?
Old 1 week ago
It's definitely out - mine was delivered yesterday

I'm really happy with it so far but it's obviously early days. I'm sure it won't be long though until we start seeing some in depth reviews.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I'm really happy with it so far but it's obviously early days. I'm sure it won't be long though until we start seeing some in depth reviews.
Still twiddling those thumbs...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

I think one of the biggest things we're all wondering is....how does the conversion sound? And do you have anything you can compare it to? And how;s your latency numbers looking?
Old 1 week ago
Here's a crazy idea... get one, see if it works for you and return it if it doesn't...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
Here's a crazy idea... get one, see if it works for you and return it if it doesn't...
I can't speak for anyone else, but I live in Trinidad. Not only will that be impractical, it will also be ridiculously expensive, just to ship it back. And no, we have no dealers operating locally.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I live in Trinidad. Not only will that be impractical, it will also be ridiculously expensive, just to ship it back. And no, we have no dealers operating locally.
Exactly. I will patiently wait for reviews.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Exactly. I will patiently wait for reviews.
Indeed. Some people don't have the luxury or convenience of living in the US/Canada or UK, where getting their hands on certain pieces of gear is easy. So we have to be very careful, and very thorough in the research for any product we're going to purchase; there isn't much room for error when you live a few hundred thousand miles away from the nearest dealer lol
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Confirmed in :

ADC are AKM converters.
DAC is Cirrus Logic.

Truth be told, that video was nearly useless. Once again, no audio samples. Why bother making a video that just lists off the features that can be found on the web site? At least the software was shown some...I am not a fan of it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search